/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it haram for a muslima to be a Physical Therapist

AnonymousPoster
04-09-2009, 03:22 PM
:sl:

My Fiance is studying to be a Physical Therapist. I am curious to know if this is considered a haram profession for a woman. She will be working with men and helping them with their body problems. What does Islam say about this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
04-09-2009, 07:29 PM
:sl:

Bump

burdenofbeing
04-12-2009, 03:13 AM
there is no difference between a woman and a man in that matter. being a doctor is not haram. the haram is in the practice. physical conducts between men and women in Islam are clear, and breaking these rules unless there is an emergency is haram; regardless of profession.

there are different views regarding the education phase.

muslim women doctors are severely lacking, and if she would choose to be an OB or Gyn doctor it would be for the good of everyone, including she herself.

Snowflake
04-12-2009, 09:40 AM
men and women can be treated by opposite gender doctors when own gender docs aren't available. but in this case people wont be coming for treatment as a last resort (esp. non muslims males). it doesn't sound right to me. Allahu alim.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Health care isn't a brothel You deal with sick people, you are not pouffing and coiffing their hair, you are helping them heal.

:w:

Malaikah
04-13-2009, 07:02 AM
All the shaykhs I asked about this told me it is halal (for being a doctor - not sure how physical therapist works). Regardless, I was not comfortable with it personally so I avoided it.

anatolian
04-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Being a Physical Therapist is nevertheless better. I read an article in a newspaper yesterday about the first woman Urologist of Turkey. She was questioned by other doctors if she was really sure of being an Urologist. Well that is a really interesting topic..but however I think a scholar can answer best, I think there musnt be a problem.

Snowflake
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
All the shaykhs I asked about this told me it is halal (for being a doctor - not sure how physical therapist works). Regardless, I was not comfortable with it personally so I avoided it.

Yeh, there is a difference between a doctor giving urgent treatment and a physical therapist giving a massage. I can relate to what you're saying sis. MashaAllah. It's great if a woman can work with same gender as a physical therapist but I doubt that allowed.

Health care isn't a brothel You deal with sick people, you are not pouffing and coiffing their hair, you are helping them heal.
No one said it is sis.. Islam allows ppl to seek treatment from opposite gender when there is no other option. Physical therapy isn't urgent or life-saving, only life-improving. That can go for a lot things related to health. The idea of a muslimah exercising, massaging strange men (often in shorts) when they is no need to be doing it is simply abhorrent to me. If the same profession could be used for treating only women and children then mashaAllah that'd be great!

جوري
04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
^^ aslaam 3lykoum wr wb dearest sis..
Having referred pts to physical therapy, some of whom had lost limbs and had to learn to walk anew, I'd say it isn't about a message. Of course I don't spend all day observing what they do..

she can always specialize in pediatric physical therapy if she so desired do what she likes as well help children who have succumbed to some debilitating disease get some motor control...

and Allah swt knows best

جوري
04-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I wanted to share this video of physical therapists helping children with cerebral palsy

Media Tags are no longer supported

:w:

anatolian
04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
No one said it is sis.. Islam allows ppl to seek treatment from opposite gender when there is no other option. Physical therapy isn't urgent or life-saving, only life-improving. That can go for a lot things related to health. The idea of a muslimah exercising, massaging strange men (often in shorts) when they is no need to be doing it is simply abhorrent to me. If the same profession could be used for treating only women and children then mashaAllah that'd be great!
Well if we approach the matter as "the idea of a muslimah exercising, massaging strange men " we can't solve the problem because then I can ask you "the idea of a muslim man exercising, massaging strange women?" But we must approach the matter as "the idea of a doctorexercising, massaging a sick"

burdenofbeing
04-13-2009, 11:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Well if we approach the matter as "the idea of a muslimah exercising, massaging strange men " we can't solve the problem because then I can ask you "the idea of a muslim man exercising, massaging strange women?" But we must approach the matter as "the idea of a doctorexercising, massaging a sick"
Not really. IMO the correct approach to the matter is a doctor, coming to physical contact with someone of the opposite sex, when it can be avoided. Taking the middle way doesn't solve the problem, it postpones it.

If you believe hospitals would be better off having enough employees and rooms to divide female and male patients, you shouldn't take the middle ground.

Emergencies are, of course, an exception.

anatolian
04-14-2009, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
Not really. IMO the correct approach to the matter is a doctor, coming to physical contact with someone of the opposite sex, when it can be avoided. Taking the middle way doesn't solve the problem, it postpones it..
Well if that could be avoided it would be avoided anyway but in this example it cannot be avoided. A doctor have to do what he/she must do to heal a sick no matter what kind of disease he/she has and as long as the patients are both male and female-normally-we will have a doctor touching a person from opposite gender.

format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
If you believe hospitals would be better off having enough employees and rooms to divide female and male patients, you shouldn't take the middle ground.

Emergencies are, of course, an exception.
If you mean female and male rooms in which female and male dostors heal only their same gender patients you should support the idea of female physio therapists. But still in emergency situations they will be ready to look after the opposite gender.

ardianto
04-14-2009, 01:55 PM
I remember to a similar question in a local newspaper, and the answer was :
" Regarding physical therapy is same as physical contact, women are allowed to give a physical therapy to women only, and men to men only. Not allowed to opposite gender, except in the case of emergency ".

Snowflake
04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
^Exactly!

burdenofbeing
04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Well if that could be avoided it would be avoided anyway but in this example it cannot be avoided. A doctor have to do what he/she must do to heal a sick no matter what kind of disease he/she has and as long as the patients are both male and female-normally-we will have a doctor touching a person from opposite gender.

If you mean female and male rooms in which female and male dostors heal only their same gender patients you should support the idea of female physio therapists. But still in emergency situations they will be ready to look after the opposite gender.
It can be avoided if muslim investors invested in such hospitals, muslim population wanted such hospitals and if people weren't content with the middle ground so much. I support the idea of female doctors of course. Otherwise only men would have to treat females!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.