/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Spirit Vinegar haram?

Ali.
04-09-2009, 09:51 PM
:sl:

I've done my research on this topic on the forum and googled.. I cannot seem to get a straight answer for this.. some say it is haram, some say it is halal, does anyone know for sure? I mean, it's originally made from wine but it doesn't drunken you, that's the thing, so not sure it can be classified as khamr.

Note: Please don't quote whole articles from islamqa or some other site.. give me straight answers, a reason (not 10 paragraphs long) and links at the end of the post, please.

Thanks in advance!

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
04-09-2009, 09:58 PM
i want to know the answer too cus the sandwiches i buy have spirit vinegar......

Güven
04-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Straight answer : No

Muhaba
04-09-2009, 10:28 PM
when alcohol became haraam, the companions of the Prophet (SAW) asked if they could turn the wine into viniger. the Prophet (SAW) didn't allow them to do so. therefore, i believe it is haraam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Detritavore
04-10-2009, 08:25 AM

You know I just did a google search and the variations in answers is ridiculous- it is haram, it isn't, only if it's made from apples, only if you tamper with the natural fermentation process, wine is ok trust me I said so... Howerver the overall the consensus is- it is Halal (note: no sources just a 'yes it is'). Though in my sound opinion, until I further fathom the dynamics of Islam and can conduct more then just a google search (preferably my own research), it is a doubtful thing and a doubtful thing is a thing best left alone.

Also Muhaba- could you please cite sources because that hadith would be much appreciated.

Güven
04-10-2009, 11:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Straight answer : No
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82176

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544262

Ali.
04-10-2009, 01:00 PM
^ How do you know no chemical substance has been added to it to change it to vinegar?

The foods I am worrying about are Tomato Ketchup and Mayonnaise.. these are like everyday products lol.. how can I be sure? Shall I e-mail them?

Khalisah
04-10-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2283/vinegar
Not sure if this helps?

Ali.
04-11-2009, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalisah
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2283/vinegar
Not sure if this helps?
Thanks but.. in regards to the following question, no;

format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
How do you know no chemical substance has been added to it to change it to vinegar?
I guess the only way of knowing for certain is to contact the company(s)..

haroon_180
12-19-2010, 12:46 AM
There are many websites that talk in detail about the dispute of vinegar itself (some say it is allowed, because Rasool Allah SAW liked vinegar from an older narration) and by a newer Madani narration near the time of his death, Rasool Allah SAW forbade some Ashab from converting their wine into vinegar (when the Hukum to make Khamar haram came around).

This debate is TOTALLY Irrelevant to the debate about spirit vinegar.

When we talk about any alcoholic beverage that is sold to be consumed, the alcohol in it is ethanol. The process of making both ethanol and alcohol is requires fermentation.

When bacteria ferment they create one of two possibilities, ethanol CH3CH2OH, or acetic acid, CH3COOH. Acetic acid is a more oxidized form of ethanol. Ethanol is what you want if you're making wine, beer, liquor, etc.

When the fermentation process is allowed to continue, it converts the ethanol into into acetic acid is what gives all vinegars their distinct taste, and the simplest of all vinegars would be a ~3% solution of acetic acid. Most vinegars contain additional flavor components. Any acetic acid in an alcoholic drink is considered bad, since it has a very strong flavor. However, some over fermented alcoholic beverage may contain traces of acetic acid.

In spirit vinegar, the fermentation process is stopped before the bacteria have completely converted all the ethanol into acetic acid. Whereas even a small amount of acetic acid in alcoholic beverages would completely ruin the flavor, the small amount of alcohol left over in spirit vinegar enhances the flavor in some people's opinions.

If this definition of spirit vinegar is valid, then this is not a discussion regarding how the vinegar was made as ... by definition vinegar is made through alcohol. However, a distinction between regular and spirit vinegar is a must.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.