/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tiny horse trains as guide for blind Muslim woman

Uthman
04-10-2009, 04:47 PM
A blind Muslim woman whose family objected to having a guide dog in the house is to get a guide horse instead.

Mona Ramouni, 28, lost her sight shortly after birth, and has had to rely on her family members to guide her around the Detroit suburb where they live.

She has long yearned for more independence, but a traditional guide dog was never an option. Many Muslims consider dogs unclean, and Miss Ramouni, an observant Sunni, respects her Jordanian-born parents' aversion to having a dog in the family home, where she lives along with three of her six siblings.

Now Mexicali Rose, a 3-year-old former show horse that stands about 2 1/2 feet tall and weighs about 125 pounds, has arrived to help Miss Ramouni.
Before the horse, nicknamed Cali, arrived, "I had basically given up. I mean, I had been to the point where I thought, 'I'm going to get nothing out of my life,"' Miss Ramouni told the Associated Press. "And having Cali ... showed me that I had forgotten about all the optimism I had as a kid. When I was a kid, I thought I could do anything. I thought everything was possible."

While many Muslims believe dogs can violate ritual purity, horses are seen as "regal animals," Dawud Walid, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relation's Michigan chapter, told the news agency.

Still, "there would be concerns about bringing a horse into certain establishments and areas of worship as well," he said.

The horses can live into their 30s, more than twice as long as most dogs, she said.

The horse, who has been trained to get in and out of vehicles, guide through crowds and stand still indoors, is expected to take up residence in a newly erected shed on the family's lawn within the next two months.

But as Miss Ramouni hails the new opportunities available to her with a guide horse, the US government has given warning that it may soon tighten the definition of a guide animal under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to exclude farm creatures such as horses.

Regulatory language that would limit guide status to dogs and other common domestic animals was proposed last year, but was postponed along with other new federal rules when President Barack Obama took office in January.

The new ADA regulations are under review and final language will be issued later this year, according to Alejandro Miyar, a justice department spokesman.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
04-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Lol mashaAllah, how interesting.
The horse is so cute!

Question though, I thought dogs were allowed in special circumstances, would a guide dog not be considered a special situation?

Amadeus85
04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Im sure that in some situations Islam allows contacts with dogs, for example when muslim is a blind person. Lets not be paranoic.

Muezzin
04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Lol mashaAllah, how interesting.
The horse is so cute!

Question though, I thought dogs were allowed in special circumstances, would a guide dog not be considered a special situation?
Yep.

But the article says the family objects to it. But hey, if one of my family members needed a guide animal, I'd rather it be a dog than a horse. Can you imagine the sheer amount of turd a horse would produce?

What has two thumbs and always has to hoover the stairs?

This guy.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't know why.
I see (on TV, of course) in USA and Europe many blindmen are guided by dog.
And in Indonesia ? no, I never see a blindman guided by dog or other animal.

My brother in law is an orientation trainer for blindmen, and my mommy was a volunter who reads a book for blindmen. Few years ago, sometime a blindman came to my house to meet my mom. Alone, rode a public transport without guide. And when I want to brought them back to their houses with my car, my mom always forbade me, "No ! let him back to his house alone with public transport. He can and he must can" said my mom.

~Raynn~
04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
:ooh: Woww...

Whatsthepoint
04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
I thought it was gonna be the size of a dog!
Why take him as a guide when she can ride him?:ooh:

ardianto
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
I thought it was gonna be the size of a dog!
Why take him as a guide when she can ride him?:ooh:
That's a good question.
But the ridding horse must guided by the rider. So, how can she guide the horse if she cannot see anything ?.

Tony
04-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Subhan Allah, Allah is Lord of all and makes all things a posibility. ^o)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.