PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Recipes



islamlover_girl
04-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Did u try any Egyption recipes befor :)
here`s some of them :

1- Egyptian Koshary Pasta :

This meatless dish layers common grains, such as rice, lentils and pasta with a tomato-cinnamon flavored sauce.

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked rice
2 cups cooked penne pasta
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin , divided
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 cup cooked lentils
1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
3 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
2 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 2 cups), optional*

Instructions:


1. Combine rice and pasta; spoon in bottom of shallow serving platter. Keep warm.

2. Whisk together vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Add cooked lentils and stir to combine. Spoon over rice and pasta.

3. Combine tomatoes, water, sugar, cinnamon, salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin and red pepper in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in squash. Spoon tomato mixure over lentil layer. Partially stir tomato mixture into other layers, but do not completely combine all layers. If desired, prepare crisp-brown onions as directed below and add as a topping.

*Cook onions in large skillet with 1 tablespoon oil over high heat, stirring frequently, until brown and slightly crispy, about 10 minutes.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 169, Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 281 mg, Carbohydrates: 34 g, Protein: 7 g
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wth1257
04-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by islamlover_girl
Did u try any Egyption recipes befor :)
here`s some of them :

1- Egyptian Koshary Pasta :

This meatless dish layers common grains, such as rice, lentils and pasta with a tomato-cinnamon flavored sauce.

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked rice
2 cups cooked penne pasta
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin , divided
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 cup cooked lentils
1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
3 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
2 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 2 cups), optional*

Instructions:


1. Combine rice and pasta; spoon in bottom of shallow serving platter. Keep warm.

2. Whisk together vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Add cooked lentils and stir to combine. Spoon over rice and pasta.

3. Combine tomatoes, water, sugar, cinnamon, salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin and red pepper in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in squash. Spoon tomato mixure over lentil layer. Partially stir tomato mixture into other layers, but do not completely combine all layers. If desired, prepare crisp-brown onions as directed below and add as a topping.

*Cook onions in large skillet with 1 tablespoon oil over high heat, stirring frequently, until brown and slightly crispy, about 10 minutes.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 169, Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 281 mg, Carbohydrates: 34 g, Protein: 7 g
That's to complicated :cry:

If you have any recipes which involve adding milk or poking holes in a plastic covering before putting it in the microwave I'd love to try them:)


Of course now after reading all that I'm hungry imsad

:D
Reply

جوري
04-11-2009, 12:58 AM
koshry has always been my one of my very favorite dishes and there are two styles of making it, or perhaps more-- the Alexandria way is usually rice and lentils the cairo way is as you describe -- I haven't known of a soul that didnt try this dish and wasn't hooked.. my mom makes it with two types of sauces hot or mild then smothered with a ton of fried onions...


mmmm
a classic
thanks for the recipe I have never made it =)

:w:
Reply

Yanal
04-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Im to young to cook. Cooking something that complicated is so far away as I can't even make chai(tea).
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Sahabiyaat
04-11-2009, 11:52 AM
ahhhh
arab food is so blandddddddd

i didnt eat the lamb kebab i ordered at this turkish cafe , because the meat was just tasteless!

no chillies whatsoever!!

name an arab dish that is spicy?
Reply

crayon
04-11-2009, 12:16 PM
I've tried kushary once, wasn't too much of a fan. But I was a kid then, so my taste may have changed.
Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
ahhhh
arab food is so blandddddddd

i didnt eat the lamb kebab i ordered at this turkish cafe , because the meat was just tasteless!

no chillies whatsoever!!

name an arab dish that is spicy?
Muhammara..:wub:
I just had some, it's SO GOOD.

"Muhammara (Arabic: محمرة) is a hot pepper dip originally from Aleppo, Syria[citation needed] and now found in many places in Anatolia and the Levant.

The principal ingredients are usually fresh or dried peppers, ground walnuts, breadcrumbs, and olive oil. It may also contain garlic, salt, lemon juice, pomegranate syrup, and sometimes spices (e.g. cumin). It may be garnished with mint leaves

Muhammara is eaten as a dip with bread or a spread for toast[1]. It is also enjoyed as a spicy sauce for kebabs, grilled meats and fish.

Muhammara is referred to as Acuka in western Turkey while southeastern regions call it Muhammara."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammara

I don't find arab food bland at all.. Or actually, it depends on where it's from. Like, I love Syrian food of course, and I find Lebanese a watered down version of that. Jordanian and Palestinian have similar foods, as do the Gulf countries. North African countries (other than egypt) have interesting food, it's usually a love/hate relationship with me..I've had some awesome couscous in my day..
Reply

Sahabiyaat
04-11-2009, 12:20 PM
my lecturer once gave me sum filafa i think it was? somalian food is it?
My culinary knowledge is very bad, i just eat whats put infornt of me...which is kinda dangerous, for all i know i could be eating a large cooked orange centipede...mmmm
Reply

Sahabiyaat
04-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by crayon
I've tried kushary once, wasn't too much of a fan. But I was a kid then, so my taste may have changed.
Muhammara..:wub:
I just had some, it's SO GOOD.

"Muhammara (Arabic: محمرة) is a hot pepper dip originally from Aleppo, Syria[citation needed] and now found in many places in Anatolia and the Levant.

The principal ingredients are usually fresh or dried peppers, ground walnuts, breadcrumbs, and olive oil. It may also contain garlic, salt, lemon juice, pomegranate syrup, and sometimes spices (e.g. cumin). It may be garnished with mint leaves

Muhammara is eaten as a dip with bread or a spread for toast[1]. It is also enjoyed as a spicy sauce for kebabs, grilled meats and fish.

Muhammara is referred to as Acuka in western Turkey while southeastern regions call it Muhammara."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammara

I don't find arab food bland at all.. Or actually, it depends on where it's from. Like, I love Syrian food of course, and I find Lebanese a watered down version of that. Jordanian and Palestinian have similar foods, as do the Gulf countries. North African countries (other than egypt) have interesting food, it's usually a love/hate relationship with me..I've had some awesome couscous in my day..
:D jzk sis, im gna try getting my hands on sum InshaAllah :D
Reply

Silver Pearl
04-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Koshri is like the most amazing thing ever :cry:, Egypt's very own version of Fish and chips perhaps?! It won't taste the same if I make it here I'm sure. I miss egyptian food imsad

Jazaakillaah khayr for the recipe, might ask sis to make it :D
Reply

wth1257
04-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
ahhhh
arab food is so blandddddddd
Yeahhhhh.....

I've only had a little bit but I wasn't too impressed.

There seems to be some overlap between Arab and Greek food. I actually like a lot of Greek food though.

I've heard Indian food is really spicy. So seeing that I love spicy food I'd like to try that sometime.
Reply

ardianto
04-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I am back from Google after searchead for Koshary Pasta pictures.

Koshary Pasta is a favourite Egyptian food, isn't it ?
Reply

جوري
04-11-2009, 03:37 PM
^^^ it is indeed..

I personally despise spicy food (I have alot of GI problems) wal7mdlilah.. the problem with indo cuisine is it doesn't matter how much you hammer in taking out the spice it comes in spicy anyway... the only indo food I liked was a dish called 'chaat'? because it was sort of yogurt(y) and not painful.

There is an Arabic adage about the chef who doesn't know how to cook adds many spices, and I'll have to agree... spice just covers the taste of the food, burns the tongue and stomach (for many hours) what is the point?

p.s I don't particularly like Arabic food either (except a few dishes) as well shish kabob.. I favor Italian foods the most.. and the majority of soups..

:w:
Reply

ardianto
04-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
^^^ it is indeed..

I personally despise spicy food (I have alot of GI problems) wal7mdlilah.. the problem with indo cuisine is it doesn't matter how much you hammer in taking out the spice it comes in spicy anyway... the only indo food I liked was a dish called 'chaat'? because it was sort of yogurt(y) and not painful.
Chaat ? what is chaat ?
Yogurt ?. We drink yogurt, but we never 'eat' yogurt.

Soth East Asia dishes use much spices, including indo food.
People from other places complains, Indo food is too hot. No wonder, we love chili paper, and frequently question before we eat is "Where is chili sauce ?".
We read in an article, Tabasco is a hot chili sauce in US and Europe. But for us, Tabasco is absolutely not hot.
Reply

ardianto
04-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Chaat ? what is chaat ?
Yogurt ?. We drink yogurt, but we never 'eat' yogurt.
Oopps, I just realized. Chaat ?, yogurt ?.
Maybe Indo food in sister Gossamer Skye is not Indonesian food but Indian food.
I have read on a magazine, Indian use yogurt in their dishes.

That 'Indo' was confused me. In South East Asia 'Indo' means Indonesian.
Reply

wth1257
04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Chaat ? what is chaat ?
Yogurt ?. We drink yogurt, but we never 'eat' yogurt.

Soth East Asia dishes use much spices, including indo food.
People from other places complains, Indo food is too hot. No wonder, we love chili paper, and frequently question before we eat is "Where is chili sauce ?".
We read in an article, Tabasco is a hot chili sauce in US and Europe. But for us, Tabasco is absolutely not hot.

lol, sounds great :D

It's soooo difficult to find decent spicy food here
Reply

جوري
04-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Chaat ? what is chaat ?
Yogurt ?. We drink yogurt, but we never 'eat' yogurt.
.


http://freshginger.org/indian/aloo-chaat-masala-bowl/

I had it at an indian rest. with a friend... it was the only dish that wasn't spicy so... if it isn't indian I don't care just the same as it was good!

:w:
Reply

Mahylva
04-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I love spicy and spiceless food equally.
That Koshary Pasta looks scrumptious though, certainly putting it on my list of things to try and cook insha'Allah :D

Bismillah al-rahmin al-rahim
Reply

ardianto
04-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

I had it at an indian rest. with a friend... it was the only dish that wasn't spicy so... if it isn't indian I don't care just the same as it was good!
Is that Chaat ?.
I see Indian use yogurt like my mom use mayonaise on her salad.
Jazaka Allahu khairan, sister.
Reply

UmmSqueakster
04-12-2009, 05:22 PM
No matter how many times I've tried, I can't make koshari like they do in cairo imsad inshaAllah we'll be going this summer, and I'm planning on eating koshari, shwerma and tamiyyah every day :D

I get most of my egyptian recipes from here - http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/Recipnew.html

Here is my grape leaf mahshy recipe, the husband's faaaavorite food. When I finally mastered this recipe, he declared we didn't have to go to middle eastern restaurants anymore, because I cook better than them :D

1.5 cups rice
1 can tomato paste
1 onion chopped very fine or ground almost to a paste
Garlic Salt to taste
Pepper, to taste
2 T butter, melted
Grape leaves - rinsed
Broth - either chicken or vegetarian
2 T butter
Salt, Pepper to taste

Stir the first 6 ingredients together. Make sure to rinse the grape leaves well. If you don't, then they have a sour, acidic taste, like greek dolmas, which I really don't like.

To fold, follow these instructions:

How to Stuff Grape Leaves Step-by-Step with Photos - Basic Technique for Stuffing Grape Leaves

Then pack tightly at the bottom of a large pot. Pour broth over the grape leaves, enough to cover plus 1/2 inch. Add the second 2 T butter, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until broth is absorbed.

I also add ground beef on occasion. I'll cook a pound or so, seasoned with onion powder, salt and pepper until it's just about done, then mix it in with the rice mixture.


Don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out well the first few times you make it. Through trial and error, you'll find what works best for you.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
04-13-2009, 01:03 PM
:sl:
Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
ahhhh
arab food is so blandddddddd

i didnt eat the lamb kebab i ordered at this turkish cafe , because the meat was just tasteless!

no chillies whatsoever!!

name an arab dish that is spicy?
no way!!! :ooh: :shade: ur just saying that cos ur taste buds gave deteriorated from all the spice you've eatin :p
Reply

ardianto
04-13-2009, 01:57 PM
There is a food in Indonesia named 'Martabak Mesir' (Egyptian 'Martabak'). That is a fried bread that filled by meat, vegetable and egg.

For picture, please click http://www.sigitsusinggih.net/2008/0...artabak-mesir/

My question : is it really from Egypt ?
Reply

islamlover_girl
04-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
There is a food in Indonesia named 'Martabak Mesir' (Egyptian 'Martabak'). That is a fried bread that filled by meat, vegetable and egg.

For picture, please click http://www.sigitsusinggih.net/2008/0...artabak-mesir/

My question : is it really from Egypt ?
I don`t think so,I think it`s the first time for me to see it now.
Reply

islamlover_girl
04-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I am glad that most of u liked koshary ,here is another one:

Alexandrian Style Liver :

Ingredients
1 lb beef liver
4 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
3 green chilies
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 limes, juice of
Directions
1 chop up liver into small pieces.
2 combine garlic , ground coriander,salt, chili powder and green chilis
3 in a food processor until they form a paste.
4 add the mixture to the liver and let it sit for 15 minutes.
5 in a medium pan heat the oil and add the liver a little bit at a time
6 add the lime juice and cook for 15 minutes.

I hope dear sisters and brotheres who prefere spicy food will like this one.
Reply

ardianto
04-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by islamlover_girl
I don`t think so,I think it`s the first time for me to see it now.
Not from Egypt ?. So, where is the Martabak come from ?.
This a popolar food in Indonesia. I am sure Martabak is not an Indonesian origin food, but came from foreign country and maybe has modified by Indonesian. Some people talks, Martabak came from India. However, when my brother in law went to India, he didn't found a Martabak.
Reply

UmmSqueakster
04-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Martabak looks like a southeast asian varation on the sambusa/sambusak/samosa, which is found all across the muslim world.

In Egypt, it's called sambusak, but I don't believe it originated there.
Reply

ardianto
04-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Janaan
Martabak looks like a southeast asian varation on the sambusa/sambusak/samosa, which is found all across the muslim world.

In Egypt, it's called sambusak, but I don't believe it originated there.
No. Martabak is not Sambusa/Samosa. That's different.
Thank for you information sister, it's make me know more foods from other place.:)
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2009, 01:01 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 08:36 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!