PDA

View Full Version : Islam and the Soul



wth1257
04-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Can someone tell me what Islam means by the soul?

From what I understand Islam would reject Descartes formulation of the soul as some inmaterial substance with no dimensions which exists independent of the body whole we are living. But what is it? Also does Islam distinguish the ego from the soul?

thanks
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
04-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Islam means Submission if thats what you want,if not can you simplify your question fir me?
Reply

wth1257
04-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Yanal
Islam means Submission if thats what you want,if not can you simplify your question fir me?

what is the soul?
Reply

Yanal
04-11-2009, 01:00 AM
The soul is the part of the body that faces Allah and answers to his questions,your soul suffers from hell or will enjoy heaven. That is what a soul is.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
wth1257
04-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by Yanal
The soul is the part of the body that faces Allah and answers to his questions,your soul suffers from hell or will enjoy heaven. That is what a soul is.
So is the soul distinct from the body at all? If it is part of the body then how does it survive death?
Reply

Yanal
04-11-2009, 01:11 AM
It literally isn't it seperates after death and survives like that,and ofcourse because of Allah.
Reply

alcurad
04-11-2009, 01:22 AM
a soul is part of the body, it does not separate, unless upon death since the body is no more.
Reply

AntiKarateKid
04-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by wth1257
Can someone tell me what Islam means by the soul?

From what I understand Islam would reject Descartes formulation of the soul as some inmaterial substance with no dimensions which exists independent of the body whole we are living. But what is it? Also does Islam distinguish the ego from the soul?

thanks
Hey dude, have you ever thought of taking your questions to a Mosque? Or finding the next Islamic event near you and talking to the speaker or learned people?

If you are indeed searching for the truth, I am sure you would not limit yourself to an internet forum.

I say this because we are NOT scholars. What if we were to accidentally tell you things about Islam that weren't true out of ignorance?
Reply

جوري
04-11-2009, 02:18 AM
......
Reply

Yanal
04-11-2009, 02:23 AM
:offtopic:
So did your question get answered bro?
Reply

transition?
04-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Subscribe

I'll post some lectures when I get a chance.
Reply

wth1257
04-11-2009, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by transition?
Subscribe

I'll post some lectures when I get a chance.
subscribe to what?
Reply

wth1257
04-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Hey dude, have you ever thought of taking your questions to a Mosque? Or finding the next Islamic event near you and talking to the speaker or learned people?

If you are indeed searching for the truth, I am sure you would not limit yourself to an internet forum.

I say this because we are NOT scholars. What if we were to accidentally tell you things about Islam that weren't true out of ignorance?

I don't (limit myself to an internet forum).

I hope to be able to go to a Mosque on the 16th but I'm so busy I don't really have a chance. I also read a lot about Islam but I have never seen this really answered. I come from a more philosophical than religious tradition with a major influence being Descartes. It has long seemed to me that islam does not follow Descartes defintiion but I have never seen a strict explanation on just what that difference is.
Reply

AntiKarateKid
04-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by wth1257
I don't (limit myself to an internet forum).

I hope to be able to go to a Mosque on the 16th but I'm so busy I don't really have a chance. I also read a lot about Islam but I have never seen this really answered. I come from a more philosophical than religious tradition with a major influence being Descartes. It has long seemed to me that islam does not follow Descartes defintiion but I have never seen a strict explanation on just what that difference is.
Try this.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...=1169972921136

And they ask you concerning the soul. Say: "The soul is one of the things, of which the knowledge is only with my Lord. And of knowledge, you (mankind) have been given only a little." (Al-Israa' 17:85
Reply

wth1257
04-11-2009, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Try this.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...=1169972921136

And they ask you concerning the soul. Say: "The soul is one of the things, of which the knowledge is only with my Lord. And of knowledge, you (mankind) have been given only a little." (Al-Israa' 17:85
Thank you:)
Reply

alcurad
04-11-2009, 03:33 AM
not being 'scholars' means what exactly in this case though? sadly enough, I doubt most would even be on the level for discussing this from a philosophical stand point.
still, the soul doesn't separate while you're alive, there's nothing to indicate otherwise.

the soul is not completely synonymous with mind though, mind is probably a function of the human as a whole.
most scholars don't discuss it, rather I'd suggest looking into the muslim philosophers' takes on it-modern preferably-.
why is the dualism an issue though?
Reply

wth1257
04-11-2009, 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by alcurad
not being 'scholars' means what exactly in this case though? sadly enough, I doubt most would even be on the level for discussing this from a philosophical stand point.
still, the soul doesn't separate while you're alive, there's nothing to indicate otherwise.

the soul is not completely synonymous with mind though, mind is probably a function of the human as a whole.
most scholars don't discuss it, rather I'd suggest looking into the muslim philosophers' takes on it-modern preferably-.
why is the dualism an issue though?
Do you know any good modern Muslim philosophers?

I know of Shabbir Akhtar, Seyyed Hossein Nasr, and Mehdi Ha'iri Yazdi
Reply

alcurad
04-11-2009, 03:58 AM
I can't think of any from the top of my head that write in english unfortunately, still looking into it.
Reply

Sahabiyaat
04-11-2009, 11:34 AM
if the soul is breathed into the body, then surely it must be seperate from the body?

Im not sure either?, not from an islamic point of iew anyway.just my thought.

and is the soul distinct from the ego or nafs?.I would like to know too!
Reply

Ali.
04-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Interesting question, wth,

There are some verses in the Qur'an about the soul which may answer your query:

And if you could see when the angels take away the souls of those who disbelieve (at death); they smite their faces and their backs, (saying): "Taste the punishment of the blazing Fire."
[8:50]

It is He Who takes your souls by night (when you are asleep), and has knowledge of all that you have done by day, then He raises (wakes) you up again that a term appointed (your life period) be fulfilled, then (in the end) unto Him will be your return. Then He will inform you of that which you used to do.
[6:60]

http://www.searchtruth.com/search.ph...earch_word=all

By the way, do you have a Qur'an? If not, you may want to get one, having a look in the index (some Qur'ans may/may not have one) at key words may help you..
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 10:44 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 05:46 AM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 06:57 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!