/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Quotations Thread

crayon
04-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Asalamu alaikum, everyone.

I tried searching for a similar thread, but didn't find one.

The thread title is self explanatory.

Post any of your favorite nuggets of wisdom, a couple lines of inspiring poetry, great quotations; anything.

They can be from an islamic point of view, such as a short hadith, or a verse of islamic poetry, or not. Obviously though, keep it within forum rules.

And please keep in mind that this is a thread for quotations, so try to keep conversation to a minimum.

Wasalamu alaikum.:)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
04-12-2009, 01:16 PM
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions, not our circumstances.- Martha Washington

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.- David Friedman

Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.- Gloria Steinem

Nájlá
04-12-2009, 01:56 PM
''If a man does his best, what else is there?'' -George Patton

Do not be like persons on whom advice has no effect; they require punishment to improve them.
A sensible man acquires education and culture through advice, while brutes and beasts always improve through punishment. -Ali b. Abu Talib

A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top. -Author Unknown

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try. -Beverly Sills

Thinker
04-12-2009, 02:25 PM
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin 1809-1882

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abdulRahman3
04-12-2009, 03:10 PM
In accordance with how good your expectations of and hope in Allah are and how truthful your reliance and trust are in him, Allah will not betray your hopes in the least, as he does not betray the hopes of those who hope and does not cause any effort to go to waste. -abu Muhammad al maqdisi

Ali.
04-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, crayon, but there's already a thread on this.

Although, that consists of some spam on the first page and some 'poems'.

But hey, just continue here if you like.

crayon
04-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Ooh ok, you're right Ali, that thread is similar..
I guess I'll just continue here though, rather than resurrect that thread..

crayon
04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
What is uttered from the heart alone, Will win the hearts of others to your own. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

If youth knew; if age could.
- Henri Estienne

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.- Douglas H. Everett

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is enlightenment.- Lao Tzu

NIKKY
04-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Great minds discuss ideas..
Average minds discuss events..
Shallow minds discuss people..
i dont no the author...sowie crayon....

Ali.
04-12-2009, 06:39 PM
^ I think it's Eleanor Roosevelt.

In youth we learn, in age we understand. Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Thinker
04-12-2009, 07:43 PM
"Palestinians never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity."

Abba Eban in 2000 after Arafat turned down the best peace deal he was ever going to get - the one offered by Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and brokered by Clinton.

(Don't kill the messenger)

Sahabiyaat
04-12-2009, 07:52 PM
u really are an ape :) ^

Sahabiyaat
04-12-2009, 10:56 PM
oh yeh

and u can quote me on that !

جوري
04-12-2009, 11:33 PM
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."-- unknown

Aphorisms are essentially an aristocratic genre of writing. The aphorist does not argue or explain, he asserts; and implicit in his assertion is a conviction that he is wiser and more intelligent than his readers. --Auden

Collecting quotations is an insidious, even embarrassing habit, like ragpicking or hoarding rocks or trying on other people's laundry. I got into it originally while trying to break an addiction to candy. I kicked candy and now seem to be stuck with quotations, which are attacking my brain instead of my teeth. --Robert Byrne

Though collecting quotations could be considered as merely an ironic mimetism—victimless collecting, as it were ... in a world that is well on its way to becoming one vast quarry, the collector becomes someone engaged in a pious work of salvage. The course of modern history having already sapped the traditions and shattered the living wholes in which precious objects once found their place, the collector may now in good conscience go about excavating the choicer, more emblematic fragments. --sontag

"It isn't wise to while away time quoting dead people"-- Me :D

:w:

Zafran
04-13-2009, 03:28 AM
salaam

"The teachings of Islam can fail under no circumstances. With all our systems of culture and civilization, we cannot go beyond Islam and, as a matter of fact, no human mind can go beyond the Koran."

Johann Goethe, cited in Sir Henry Elliot's Letters of Johann Goethe, 1865

"Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it." - Jibreel (as)

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge."
- Stephen Hawking

Narrated AbuMusa:

"The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: This people of mine is one to which mercy is shown. It will have no punishment in the next world, but its punishment in this world will be trials, earthquakes and being killed."
(Sunan Abu-Dawud) Book 35, Number 4265

Zafran
04-13-2009, 03:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker

Abba Eban in 2000 after Arafat turned down the best peace deal he was ever going to get - the one offered by Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and brokered by Clinton.

salaam

without Jerusalem????? palestine demilitrized??? Isreal can occupy palestine land "under emergency" - serioulsy look at Camp david again - it was a good thing it was rejected. Pro Isreal deal nothing more.

The taba summit (2001) was far better deal - its a pity Isreal backed off that one when it was correlation with the UN.

learn more about this conflict by listening to chomsky - he knows what hes talking about - unlike the Isreal/US bias.

heres another quote for you -

"Camp David was not the missed opportunity for the Palestinians, and if I were a Palestinian I would have rejected Camp David, as well." - Shlomo Ben-Ami peace

nebula
04-13-2009, 04:13 AM
I believe the book because the book is believeable

Don't fear the creation fear the creator!

ill add more as i remember them

crayon
04-13-2009, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker

If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal; we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to us, but how could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. There has been Anti - Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault ? They see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their country. Why would they accept that?- David Ben-Gurion

:)

Sahabiyaat
04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
" Your worst enemy is a friend, who is no longer one" (Sahabiyaat)

crayon
04-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.- E. F. Schumacher

Modesty is the citadel of beauty.- Demades

'Tis the privilege of friendship to talk nonsense, and have her nonsense respected.- Charles Lamb

Wit is educated insolence.- Aristotle

Do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose.- Jeff Mallett

Amadeus85
04-18-2009, 06:03 PM
This is a quote from a interview with a monarchist, Jacek Bartyzel. I read it yesterday and it kept my attention.

-"Will ever King Arthur come back from the shaphire fields of Avalon?"

-"What is Good, Truth and Beauty is identical with the Entity. And Entity - something that have existed as an incarnated Idea, as an Act - is eternal and indestructible. King Arthur sits on the right of Christ in the Kingdome of Heaven and will come back with Him at the time of Parusia, as everything else, what is saved, in a more perfect entity. And if He comes back earlier, before the Judgment Day, this is secondary. For His knights, what is important is the duty of struggle as if He was going to come back just right now."

YusufNoor
04-18-2009, 08:13 PM
"there are in fact 2 species of human beings. the 1 descended from Adam and the atheists, who are indeed descended from apes."

i forget where i heard that. oh yeah, i made it up. i like it though.

:w:

FatimaAsSideqah
04-18-2009, 08:24 PM
:sl:

"Try not. Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

"When people fear the government, there is tyranny.
When government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Paine

"Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience." -Me :-[

"We make a living out of what we get, we make a life out of what we give." - Churchill

Will put more later Insha'Allah

Danah
04-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Can it be from Quran?

I dunno why those two verses always affect me a lot:

وَمَنۡ أَعۡرَضَ عَن ذِڪۡرِى فَإِنَّ لَهُ ۥ مَعِيشَةً۬ ضَنكً۬ا

But he who turneth away from remembrance of Me, his will be a narrow life [20:123]

and this one:
فَقُلۡتُ ٱسۡتَغۡفِرُواْ رَبَّكُمۡ إِنَّهُ ۥ كَانَ غَفَّارً۬ا (١٠) يُرۡسِلِ ٱلسَّمَآءَ عَلَيۡكُم مِّدۡرَارً۬ا (١١) وَيُمۡدِدۡكُم بِأَمۡوَٲلٍ۬ وَبَنِينَ وَيَجۡعَل لَّكُمۡ جَنَّـٰتٍ۬ وَيَجۡعَل لَّكُمۡ أَنۡہَـٰرً۬ا (١٢)

And I have said: Seek pardon of your Lord. Lo! He was ever Forgiving. (10) He will let loose the sky for you in plenteous rain, (11) And will help you with wealth and sons, and will assign unto you Gardens and will assign unto you rivers. (12)

[71:10-12]

Amadeus85
07-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Famous, infamous quotes:

"I wanted good"
Adolf Hitler

"Dogs!! You want to live forever"?
Frideric II The Great, to his soldiers afraid of attacking.

"Everything lost, except honour"
Franz I after defeat under Pawia,1525.

"S@#t in tights"
Napoleon about Talleyrand

"Such democracy like ours, hasn't been nowhere else"
Joseph Stalin

Comunism is when a man exploits a man. Capitalism is something opposite"
American politician

"You are right, but we have machine guns"
Mao Tse Tungs

"In Poland I have found out the fifth element - mud"
Napoleon during expedition to Russia

"The XIXth centry was great, but the XXth century will be happy"
Victor Hugo

"-I should have cut off your head
-I have different opinion sire"
Napoleon to Fouche

"My middle is turning back, the right wing is turning back... The situation is awesome, I will be in attack"
Foch during Marna battle

_PakistaN_
07-21-2009, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
Famous, infamous quotes:

"I wanted good"
Adolf Hitler

"Dogs!! You want to live forever"?
Frideric II The Great, to his soldiers afraid of attacking.

"Everything lost, except honour"
Franz I after defeat under Pawia,1525.

"S@#t in tights"
Napoleon about Talleyrand

"Such democracy like ours, hasn't been nowhere else"
Joseph Stalin

Comunism is when a man exploits a man. Capitalism is something opposite"
American politician

"You are right, but we have machine guns"
Mao Tse Tungs

"In Poland I have found out the fifth element - mud"
Napoleon during expedition to Russia

"The XIXth centry was great, but the XXth century will be happy"
Victor Hugo

"-I should have cut off your head
-I have different opinion sire"
Napoleon to Fouche

"My middle is turning back, the right wing is turning back... The situation is awesome, I will be in attack"
Foch during Marna battle
lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.