/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Vista start menu

جوري
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Do any of you have a link to a pretty and functional vista like start menu that is better than the windows application. I downloaded this neat brickopack inspirat 2 but unfortunately it doesn't do much for the start menu ...

pls share with me a 'virus free' start menu ..

Thank You

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
like this

جوري
04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Never mind apparently once you go here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...startmenu.mspx
and you have already downloaded inspirat 2 you can change it..

:w:

convert
04-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Have you thought of giving Ubuntu Linux a try? It is very easy to use nowadays and in fact, I find it much easier to use than Vista.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-12-2009, 10:19 PM
salaamz.. can you take a printscreen and show me what it looks like pls?

convert
04-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I tried to take a screenshot but I cannot post it due to file size restrictions.
This is what it looks like on a fresh install. It is fairly easy to add/change themes as well. There is this one desktop manager called Beryl that turns things into a 3d cube, it is well-done.

Everything Ubuntu is free and the software support base is extensive. It has a small learning curve (you will want to become friendly with a command-prompt) but it takes no time at all to become proficient in it.

جوري
04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Jazaka Allah khyran, it looks very nice, do you have a link for me?

Baraka Allah feek

convert
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/

جوري
04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Jazaka Allah khyran

convert
04-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I would recommend just booting from a live cd; put it in when you boot up the computer and do not install right away (there will be an option listed to do as such). If you like it, I would still recommend keeping a Vista partition around just in case you ever need to run anything in Windows for any reason.

I have no idea of your computer background but if you need any help with this, just post in this thread and I will try to help inshaAllah. The ubuntu user forums are very nice and have a large community base as well.

جوري
04-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Baraka Allah feek.. I'll check it out, I just got this computer, since I ruined my last dell which I had only gotten in August.. I seem to wreak havoc on all electronics imsad--------------;D

KashifB
04-13-2009, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
Have you thought of giving Ubuntu Linux a try? It is very easy to use nowadays and in fact, I find it much easier to use than Vista.
I'm running my back up PC as Ubuntu and my every day PC as Vista. Unfortunately Ubuntu cannot do some of the stuff I would like ie. play games.

جوري
04-14-2009, 12:33 AM
can you run ubuntu and vista at the same time, I really just want it for aesthetics not applications as superficial as that sounds...

Vito
04-14-2009, 12:56 AM
I would recommend downloading a nice little program called Virtual PC. Its basically another computer running on your desktop. You can test operating systems, applications, and whatever else really while being able to switch back and forth from the 'virtual pc' to your real pc. You can also load the iso image straight to the virtual pc program, that way you don't use any CDs or anything. I recommend downloading it. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Here is a quick screen shot of what I mean:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4460/capturengu.jpg

OR you can just download the beta version of windows 7 for free which is basically a much more stable version of Vista which runs perfect (or has been so far) :)

convert
04-14-2009, 12:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
can you run ubuntu and vista at the same time, I really just want it for aesthetics not applications as superficial as that sounds...

Not concurrently. When Ubuntu installs, it will recognize Vista on there (if you allot it a partition) and will allow you to choose which OS to boot into when you turn the computer on.

format_quote Originally Posted by KashifB
I'm running my back up PC as Ubuntu and my every day PC as Vista. Unfortunately Ubuntu cannot do some of the stuff I would like ie. play games.
Thats why you get a console to play games. PC games started getting lame after Quake and Unreal though. I can do everything I ever did with Windows with Ubuntu and more. It, by default, is more of a development environment and, well, I am a computer scientist.

KashifB
04-14-2009, 09:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
Thats why you get a console to play games. PC games started getting lame after Quake and Unreal though. I can do everything I ever did with Windows with Ubuntu and more. It, by default, is more of a development environment and, well, I am a computer scientist.
I enjoy games on PC's over consoles. Although I haven't tried but I don't know how people can aim and shoot on a console control pad? I suppose it takes a lot of getting used to. It's much easier with mouse, point and click!

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

You can run Ubuntu off as CD. I think it's called a Live CD. Go to their website (http://www.ubuntu.com), it explains everything to do with running the OS.

convert
04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I just recently customized ubuntu with this: http://www.ubuntume.com/

Its pretty nice, has lots of good software included.

Yanal
04-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Is vista good according to it's price? Rather by iPod touch it has vista programming and wifi.

convert
04-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I find Vista to be very annoying and bloated.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.