/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary Work

MusLiM 4 LiFe
04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
:sl:

I just got some voluntary work and i was just wondering if anyone can give me any tips?

I want a career in medicine so obviously doing voluntary work is important. Do you think i should keep a diary of the days and the activities ive done? But I don't go to uni for another 2 years :S

But yeah any voluntary work tips would be very very useful. Jazakallah Khair :)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
gladTidings
04-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Ws sis

It would be a good idea to keep a record of the dates of the period of work. Its really useful if you are able to do regular volunteer work e.g. I used to volunteer at the local hospital every monday for a year... and then formed good contacts for referees later on. If the staff is familiar with you, they maybe more likely to take you on for a part time job in the summer or something.

Keep a record of your main roles and responsibilites, the skills you acquired and any other relevent experience. If you can help with something like translating, then do so... and let the staff know if you think your able to help in other areas. e.g. I had experience in feeding and taking care of elderly patients in a nursing home, so they let me get more involved in the hospital wards. They gave me more to do than the average volunteer and its all useful in building yourself up as a person which can be reflected in your personal statement when you come to applying for medicine.

Make sure you talk to the person authorising you as a volunteer about references etc before you leave. And finally enjoy it...its great fun!

Ws x

Tony
04-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Allhas peace and blessings be upon you sister. Set yourself a target, perhaps every two months and write an evaluation of your work covering what you learnt, what you found to be of particular help re your chosen profession, what you may have disagreed with and why and what you feel you could offer and get from the next two month period. Not only will this show your dedicated approach to future unis or employers, but also you will grow and evaluating will be become second nature when you need it later.

Intisar
04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
:w: You definitely should, it's always an asset to do volunteer work especially in a field that you're interested in. It might even serve as an extra ''umph'' to get you into the school that you desire inshaAllaah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Here in grade 12,you have to do volunteer hours to gradute.

Intisar
04-14-2009, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Here in grade 12,you have to do volunteer hours to gradute.
:sl: Yeah 40 hours I think? It's not much to be honest. And plus, that's compulsory for you to graduate, the sister is asking about volunteer work that will help her in her field inshaAllaah, she's entering Uni in two years inshaAllaah, and whether she should keep a diary of it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.