/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Ahadith

*charisma*
04-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

There's a hadith that states something like how it's bad Islamic etiquette to interrupt someone if they are telling a story that you've already heard, or advising you on something that you already have prior knowledge of.

The other hadith I'm looking for is throwing dirt in the face of someone who constantly/excessively praises you.

I read both ahadith a while back on this forum, but I can't find the threads.

Can anyone help please??

Jazakum Allahu khair

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
04-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

*bump*

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-16-2009, 12:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

There's a hadith that states something like how it's bad Islamic etiquette to interrupt someone if they are telling a story that you've already heard, or advising you on something that you already have prior knowledge of.
:w:

It's not a hadeeth that I know of, but I know of a statement from the Salaf that implies the same, wallahu 'alam:
The honorable tab'i Imam Ata ibn Abi Rabah said: "A young man would tell me something that I may have heard before he was born. Nevertheless, I would listen to him as if I had never heard it before."

Khalid ibn Safwan al-Tamimi, who frequented the courts of two Khalifahs: Umar ibn Abdul Aziz and Hisham ibn Abdul Malik, said: "If a person tells you something you have heard before, or news that you already learned, do not interrupt him to exhibit your knowledge to those present. This is rude and ill mannered."

The honorable Imam Abdullah ibn Wahab al-Qurashi al-Masri, a companion of Imam Malik, Al-Laith ibn Sad and Al-Thawri, said: "Sometimes a person would tell me a story that I have heard before his parents had wed. Yet, I listened as if I have never heard it before."

Ibrahim ibn al-Junaid said: "A wise man said to his son: 'Learn the art of listening as you learn the art of speaking.'"

Listening well means maintaining eye contact, allowing the speaker to finish the spech, and restraining your urge to interrupt his speech.

Al-Hafiz al-Khatib al-Baghdadi said in a poem:

Never interrupt a talk
Though you know it inside out
http://www.islamicboard.com/598062-post8.html
As for the other one, I'm not sure where the hadeeth is located.

*charisma*
04-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Yeah, that was it! Jazak allahu khair

I found the other one:

Abu Ma'mar said, "A man began to praise one of the amirs. Al-Miqdad began to throw dirt in his face and said, 'The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, commanded us to throw dust into the faces of those who praise people.'" (Bukhari)

'Ata' ibn Abi Rabah reported that a man was praising another man in the presence of Ibn 'Umar. Ibn 'Umar began to throw dust towards his mouth. He said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'When you see those who praise people, throw dust in their faces.'" (Bukhari)

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.