/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Nikah haram vs halal!

Taqiyah
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Salaam brothers and sisters.
I have really serious question about the rules of Nikah. What are the minimum characteristics valid/halal Nikah has to have? Is there such thing as half Nikah? **If your parent( MOTHER) knowS that you are seeing someone and she is ok with it and is totally supportive, does that make it ok for you to do Nikah with the guy in the presence of witnesses other than your parent(mother)? Or does your parent (mother) ABSOLUTELY Has TO be there with you? She abviuosly knows you are with someone and is actually willing to accept whatever decision you make; either marry him or not. So does she really have to be there? What are the maximum witenesses that have to be present to compensate for her absence? Though, such Nikah is abviuosly not respectful to the parent IS it VALID in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
04-16-2009, 03:17 PM
A muslim woman does not need the permission of her mother she needs the permission of her guardian. Her gardian is her father and any woman who gets married without the permission of her guardian her marriage is invalid.

The Prophet (s) gave a stern warning to the woman who gets married without the permission of her gardian.

The Prophet (s) said
: A woman should not arrange another woman’s marriage and a woman should not arrange her own marriage, for the zaaniyah (adulteress) is the one who arranges her own marriage. (Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 1782; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7298).

He (s) also said: There is no valid marriage without a wali (guardian) and two witnesses. (Narrated by Ahmad and the authors of Sunan except al-Nasaa’i. See Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7558).

And also: Any woman who marries without the permission of her wali (guardian), her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid. (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 1021 and others; it is a saheeh hadeeth)

And also: There is no marriage without a guardian. (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1101; Abu Dawood, 2085; Ibn Maajah, 1881. Classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 1/318)

Please listen to the fiqh of marriage which will explain to you the in's and out's of marriage.

Fiqh of Marriage by Yasir Qadhi

Fiqh of Marriage - Part 01

Fiqh of Marriage - Part 02

Fiqh of Marriage - Part 03

Fiqh of Marriage - Part 04

Fiqh of Divorce - Part 01

noorseeker
04-16-2009, 06:18 PM
either marry him or not

Sorry sister, what do you mean by this. Your mother doesnt mind you dating

Taqiyah
04-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I meant my mom is supportive of this relationship. From how much she knows about him so far, she believes he is the right person for me and is willing to support me in whatever decision I make.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Taqiyah
04-16-2009, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
A muslim woman does not need the permission of her mother she needs the permission of her guardian. Her gardian is her father and any woman who gets married without the permission of her guardian her marriage is invalid.

Fiqh of Divorce - Part 01
Well, what if the father is not a Muslim but is alive. Then wouldn't my mother be my guardian or my brother? Do I need my father's approval if he doesn't believe in Allah?

burdenofbeing
04-16-2009, 10:07 PM
you don't. even if he is a muslim, needing his permission is debatable, and in my opinion not needed. the guardians have long been taking advantage of this situation to make cruel marriages possible. I don't see how cruelty is enforced in islam.

that said, if your mother approves, take her consent. otherwise, you are obviously hiding something from her, and when she finds out it will be sad for everyone. don't stress your relationship.

besides, when you are married you don't hide it from people under normal circumstances. that's why you need witnesses. this is for your own protection. your parents should know, even if they don't approve.

Taqiyah
04-16-2009, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=burdenofbeing;1125352]you don't. even if he is a muslim, needing his permission is debatable, and in my opinion not needed. [QUOTE]

what exactly do u mean here? I don't need a guardian at all or my mother can be the guardian instead? And if he is Muslim then why would I not need his permission? Isn't that like the backbone of Nikah?:X

'Abd-al Latif
04-16-2009, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
Well, what if the father is not a Muslim but is alive. Then wouldn't my mother be my guardian or my brother? Do I need my father's approval if he doesn't believe in Allah?
One of the conditions of a wali (guardian) is that he must be a muslim. A non-muslim cannot be a wali for a muslim woman as no non-muslim can act in this capacity over a Muslim, nor can a woman take the role of a wali because one of the conditions is that the guardian must be a male. The Prophet (pbuh) said:

No woman may conduct the marriage contract of another woman, and no woman can conduct the marriage contract on behalf of her own self, because the zaaniyah (fornicatress, adulteress) is the one who arranges things on her own behalf. (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 1782; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7298)

Do you have any muslim men in your family?

'Abd-al Latif
04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Conditions of walee (guardian)

Question:
What exactly constitutes a guardian, as is needed in the nikkah ceremony. I am a female Muslim, and I want to know if my older brother is acceptable for this role.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

There are three pillars or conditions for the marriage contract in Islam:

Both parties should be free of any obstacles that might prevent the marriage from being valid, such as their being mahrams of one another (i.e., close relatives who are permanently forbidden to marry), whether this relationship is through blood ties or through breastfeeding (radaa’) etc., or where the man is a kaafir (non-Muslim) and the woman is a Muslim, and so on.

There should be an offer or proposal (eejaab) from the walee or the person who is acting in his place, who should say to the groom “I marry so-and-so to you” or similar words.

There should be an expression of acceptance (qabool) on the part of the groom or whoever is acting in his place, who should say, “I accept,” or similar words.

The conditions of a proper nikaah (marriage contract) are as follows:

Both the bride and groom should be clearly identified, whether by stating their names or describing them, etc.

Both the bride and groom should be pleased with one another, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No previously-married woman (widow or divorcee) may be married until she has been asked about her wishes (i.e., she should state clearly her wishes), and no virgin should be married until her permission has been asked (i.e., until she has agreed either in words or by remaining silent).” They asked, “O Messenger of Allaah, how is her permission given (because she will feel very shy)?” He said: “By her silence.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 4741)

The one who does the contract on the woman’s behalf should be her walee, as Allaah addressed the walees with regard to marriage (interpretation of the meaning): “And marry those among you who are single…” [al-Noor 24:32] and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who marries without the permission of her walee, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 1021 and others; it is a saheeh hadeeth)

The marriage contract must be witnessed, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no marriage contract except with a walee and two witnesses.” (Reported by al-Tabaraani; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7558)

It is also important that the marriage be announced, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Announce marriages.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; classed as hasan in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1027)

The conditions of the walee are as follows:

He should be of sound mind

He should be an adult

He should be free (not a slave)

He should be of the same religion as the bride. A kaafir cannot be the walee of a Muslim, male or female, and a Muslim cannot be the walee of a kaafir, male or female, but a kaafir can be the walee of a kaafir woman for marriage purposes, even if they are of different religions. An apostate (one who has left Islam) cannot be a walee for anybody.

He should be of good character (‘adaalah – includes piety, attitude, conduct, etc.), as opposed to being corrupt. This is a condition laid down by some scholars, although some of them regard the outward appearance of good character as being sufficient, and some say that it is enough if he is judged as being able to pay proper attention to the interests of the woman for whom he is acting as walee in the matter of her marriage.

He should be male, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman may conduct the marriage contract of another woman, and no woman can conduct the marriage contract on behalf of her own self, because the zaaniyah (fornicatress, adulteress) is the one who arranges things on her own behalf.” (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 1782; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7298)

He should be wise and mature (rushd), which means being able to understand matters of compatibility and the interests of marriage.

The fuqahaa’ put possible walees in a certain order, and a walee who is more closely-related should not be ignored unless there is no such person or the relatives do not meet the specified conditions. A woman’s walee is her father, then whoever her father may have appointed before his death, then her paternal grandfather or great-grandfather, then her son, then her grandfathers sons or grandsons, then her brother through both parents (full brother), then her brother through her father, then the sons of her brother through both parents, then the sons of her brother through her father, then her uncle (her father’s brother through both parents), then her father’s brother through the father, then the sons of her father’s brother though both parents, then the sons of her father’s brother through the father, then whoever is more closely related, and so on – as is the case with inheritance. The Muslim leader (or his deputy, such as a qaadi or judge) is the walee for any woman who does not have a walee of her own.

And Allaah knows best.
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2127

alcurad
04-16-2009, 10:35 PM
you do not need a guardian as per the Hanafi mathhab.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Salaam.

Well, the best only advices is that brother Abd-al Latif gave you. There are lots of information. I can recommend you to read it Insha'Allah.

'Abd-al Latif
04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
Yes, this might be in the hanafi opinion but this could be because the hadeeth prohibiting marriage without a wali had not reached Abu Hanifah. The hadeeth that forbids marriage without a wali is the saying of the Prophet and is above any of the madhabs. When a hadeeth is proven to be authentic and proves the prohibition of marriage without a wali, divorcee or not, then it is obligatory to follow it and abandon any opinion of a person who contradicts it.

When a person dies the angels who question him in his grave will ask him how he responded to the Messengers, not to a particular madhab.

Allah knows best.

It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path. [Surah Al-Ahzab 33:36]

YusufNoor
04-17-2009, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=Taqiyah;1125360]
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
you don't. even if he is a muslim, needing his permission is debatable, and in my opinion not needed.

what exactly do u mean here? I don't need a guardian at all or my mother can be the guardian instead? And if he is Muslim then why would I not need his permission? Isn't that like the backbone of Nikah?:X
:sl:

talk to the Imam or his wife. maybe he can assign you a wali for this purpose.

it might seem odd, but at least it will be considered Islamically correct. better to follow the Qur'an and Sunnah as much as you can.

you don't. even if he is a muslim, needing his permission is debatable, and in my opinion not needed. the guardians have long been taking advantage of this situation to make cruel marriages possible. I don't see how cruelty is enforced in islam.
well, what Islam calls for, is not necessarily what Muslims do. that blame, however rests on those Muslims.

:w:

Erundur
04-17-2009, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad

correct, thats what I am familiar with. just make sure you have your two witnesses.

burdenofbeing
04-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Especially in this age, I stand by hanafi ruling regarding guardian. I think in this age, the maliki ruling of making the marriage known, and enforcing legal marriage (enforced and protected by court) is more important. From what I see around me, the lack of it causes most of the troubles and the fitnah.

xxxx2
04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
The Following are authentic proofs

1. THE MUTUAL AGREEMENT

"A Woman is not married until she is consulted, and a virgin is not married until you have her permission." They said, "O messenger of Allaah! And how do obtain her permission? He(Sallallaahu Alay hi Wa Sallam) said: "If she is silent." (An taskuta)

[reported by Abu Hurayrah (r)] [Bukhaaree, Muslim, Abu Daawood, and an-Nisaa'ee]

Shaykh Al Albaanee reports it in Mukhtasar Saheeh Muslim no. 602

He makes the takhreej of it in Irwaa Al Ghaleel no. 1727

He declares it authentic in Saheeh Al Jaami' vol. 2, no. 7470

2. THE WALEE

"There is no nikaah, except with a Walee." (Laa nikah illaa bi walee)

[reported by Ibn Abbas (r)] [Ahmad, Abu Daawood, an-Nisaa'ee, At-Tirmidthi, it was authenticated by Imaam Al Haakim - this particular chain is from Abi Moosaa] [It comes from another authentic chain in Ibn Maajah from Ibn Abbaas (r)]

Shaykh Al Albaanee makes the takhreej of it in Irwaa Al Ghaleel no. 1839

He decalares it authentic in Saheeh Al Jaami' vol. 2, no. 7555

NOTE: So both chains are authentic.

b. "There is no marriage except with a Walee, and the Sultaan is the Walee for whomever there is no Walee."

[reported by Aa'ishah(r)] [Ahmad, Ibn Maajah]

Shaykh Al Albaanee declares it authentic in Saheeh Al Jaami' vol. 2, no. 7556.

3. THE WITNESSES

"There is no marriage except with a Walee, and trustworthy witnesses." (Wa Shaahidee 'Adl)

[reported by Umraan, and Aa'ishah(r)] [Bayhaqee]

Shaykh Al Albaanee makes the takhreej of it in Irwaa Al Ghaleel no.'s 1839, 1858, 1860

He declares it authentic in Saheeh Al Jaami' vol. 2, no. 7557

b. "There is no marriage except with a Walee, and two witnesses."

[reported by Abi Moosaa] [At-Tabaraani in Al Kabeer]

Shaykh Al Albaanee makes the takhreej for it in Irwaa Al Ghaleel no. 1839, 1858.

He declares it authentic in Saheeh Al Jaami' vol. 2, no. 7558.

4. THE CONTRACT

In It'haaf Al Karaam, I found the following:

(1018) And from Mu'aawiyah ibn Hakeem from his father that he said, "I said, 'O Messenger of Allaah(Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam), What is the right that one of our wives has over us?' So he said, 'Feed her when you eat, clothe her when you wear clothes, and do not strike her on the face, and do not revile her or make hijrah from her, except in the house.'

[recorded by Ahmad, and Abu Daawood, and Nisaa'ee, and Ibn Maajah, and Bukhaaree with some parts of it being Mu'allaq, and it was authenticated by Ibn Hibbaan, and Imaam Al Haakim] Shaykh Mubaarakfooree also considers it to be Saheeh. It can be found on p. 304 of It'haaf Al Karaam.

5. THE DOWRY

"The best dowry is the most easy."

[reported by 'Uqbah Ibn Aamir] [Abu Daawood, Ibn Maajah, it was authenticated by Imaam Al Haakim]

Shaykh Al Albaanee makes the Takhreej for it in Irwaa Al Ghaleel no. 1923

He declares it authentic in Saheeh Al Jaami' Vol. 2, 3279

The following is taken from It'haaf Al Karaam p. 307:

Chapter: The Dowry

(1027) From Anas(r) from the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) that he freed Safiyyah, and made her manumittance, her dowry. [Agreed Upon] Shaykh Mubaarakfooree mentions that there are some Fiqh differences among the scholars regarding manumittance as a dowry, but the overall presence of a dowry in marriage can be established from this authentic Hadeeth in general. And Verily Our Lord The Most High Knows Best.
http://www.troid.org/sisters/nikaah/...-marriage.html

http://www.troid.org/sisters/nikaah/index.php

xxxx2
04-17-2009, 04:18 PM
to add also

There is no nikaah without a walee.»

So if a woman marries herself off, her nikaah is invalid.

The walee is a male adult who is an adult, responsible person among her closest male relatives (from her father's side), such as the father, or grandfather (father's father), the son, the grandson, (son's son), the blood brother, the father's brother, the father's uncle and their children.

As for the mother's brother, his children and the grandfather (mother's father), then they do not Islaamically have any guardianship over her.

Since it is imperative for her to have a walee, and it is obligatory upon the walee to choose the most suitable and the most ideal partner for her if there are a number to choose from. And if there is only one person who has sought her hand in marriage, and he is suitable and she is pleased with him, then her walee must marry her off to him.

'Abd-al Latif
04-17-2009, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
Especially in this age, I stand by hanafi ruling regarding guardian. I think in this age, the maliki ruling of making the marriage known, and enforcing legal marriage (enforced and protected by court) is more important. From what I see around me, the lack of it causes most of the troubles and the fitnah.
format_quote Originally Posted by Erundur
correct, thats what I am familiar with. just make sure you have your two witnesses.
Can I ask you two why are rejecting the saying of the Prophet over the saying of someone much lower then him?

Any woman who marries without the permission of her wali (guardian), her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid. (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 1021 and others; it is a saheeh hadeeth)

Did Abu Hanifah not say that any hadeeth which is found to be authentic is his madhab?

Taqiyah
04-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Ok. Thanks soo much everybody. Alhamdulilah this all very helpful. SO, about the witnesses is it required for them to be present or talking to them over the phone is fine while conducting the Nikah?? And does the wali have to be present too or over the phone is fine as well?
Jazakum Allah khair.

Malaikah
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Can I ask you two why are rejecting the saying of the Prophet over the saying of someone much lower then him?
Brother there is no need to take this appraoch. If the scholars have differed then obviously they have their evidences and we should respect that. The hanafi madhab is not based on the word of Abu Hanifa alone, rather has been added to by thousands of scholars and it is very fair to assume that thousands of these scholars would have read the hadith you mentioned as well as other hadiths and concluded about what they thought was the correct ruling.

Having said that, I'm not aware that no wali is needed in the hanafi madhab unconditionally...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.