/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Asalaamu-Alaykum from a revert

greenshirt
04-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Asalaamu-Alaykum wa Rahmatuallah

greetings folks! my name is malik and i'm a revert(one year alhumdullillah.)

i'm in my 20's and live in arlington, virginia and work at an elementary school.

i began to acquire about islam years ago. in fact, it was the summer of 2006 when i began to read about islam. just randomly googled and then it sparked an interest.

but at first(for at least a year 1/2) i was against islam. it was b/c i was scared. there were many aspects of the religion that i had trouble accepting. i think this is normal for any westerner acquiring about islam. there is so much we love about the religion and then there are some things we have grown so accustomed to, that when we hear it is haram, we are in shock!

but alhumdullillah, i still read about islam and always had this gut feeling that it was from god. no matter how critical i tried to be, it never worked. islam had the answers to all my questions. all the problems i saw with christianity, especially in terms of aqeedah and authenticity of the religious scriptures, islam didn't have it. in example, the authenticity of religious scriptures. pretty much everyone thinks the bible is corrupt. the veda's have a rough history too. buddhists have mahayana and theraveda scriptures, which sometimes differ.

islam has the quraan. word for word the same today. not only that, but we have a 1400 year old practice of tajweed that also ensures our scripture is memorized and authentic. and there is a test given to those in doubt.

also, the whole jesus is god thing never really bugged me until i started reading about the tawheed. then, i realized what i hadnt before. also one thing that really stuck out, is that jesus rarely ever called himself the "son of god." but, he called himself the "son of man" dozens of times. and most of the "son of god" references in the 4 gospels were added. it was really paul that emphasized it so much. this really made me question. and even if it didnt prove islam it at least sowed me that there was some fishy aspects about christianity.

so islam answered my questions. it fixed the problems i had with my former religion. i knew this in my heart. but i didnt want to accept islam at first because i had problems accepting some of the fiqh positions. they startled me sometimes and it made me go through denial.

but alhumdullillah, christmas of 2007. christmas eve, right after church. i started reading more about islam online like i had done regularly. then i am not sure what happened, but all of a sudden i got a feeling that islam is absolutely the truth. like there was not a single dispute about it. and that i have to accept it.

to be quite honest this was depressing for me at first. i was still having problems accepting some fiqh positions. but i knew it was what it was.

so i started reading more and more about islam. this time though, i wasnt trying to disprove anything or going through denial. mainly i was learning how to do the salat, and things like that.

then, alhumdullillah, april of last year i said my shahadah!

and allow me to say that my perception of islam has changed. at first, i didnt like islam. then when i realized it was absolutely the truth i was still having many problems with it. now though i feel such a peace and tranquility in my religion. i love islam. alhumdullillah, my heart has been guided.

i still have some problems with certain fiqh positions. but i accept that they are what they are, and that ALLAH KNOWS BEST!

so now you know a little about my background and how i found this great religion.

i am a member of the forums "multaqa ahl al hadeeth" and "islamic awakening" and go by the same name, so some of you may know me.

i wanted to just tell you all hello and i look forward to learning more and interacting *smile*

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Banu_Hashim
04-16-2009, 12:43 AM
:salamext:

SubhanAllah. Alhamdulilah. Malik, you've truly summed up the beauty of Islam. You're journey is a very inteteresting one. Many important figures in Islam were against the Muslims before they became Muslim themselves. For example Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (radiAllaahu anhu).

Anyways, welcome to the forum!:D

:wasalamex

coddles76
04-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Wa Alaykum Asalam

Beautiful story brother an may Allah SWT bless you in this life and the hereafter. Your story is just more evidence of the beauty that Islam can bring to life and May you make alot of friends while gaining benefit from this site.

Welcome, Your Brother in Islam!

glo
04-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Welcome to LI, greenshirt. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danah
04-16-2009, 11:46 AM
mashaAllah, really very interesting story...
its kind of late after one year but Congratulation and welcome back to your origin instinct brother...May Allah keep you on the right way

feel free to ask anything, all members here brothers and sisters will be happy to help inshaAllah

I heard about multaqa ahl al hadeeth, actually I registered there few days ago but still wait my account to be activated
its a very good place to learn

GreyKode
04-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Welcome Bro, Arlingtion,Virginia, I might be moving there next summer to complete my phd at Virgnia Tech. Maybe we can get to meet. :D

Muhammad
04-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam Warahmatullaahi Wabarakaatuh,

Congratulations on finding Islam, brother. Alhamdulillah Allaah (swt) has guided you to the truth.

May you have a beneficial and enjoyable stay on the forum Insha'Allaah. :)

:w:

Ali_Cena
04-16-2009, 02:09 PM
:sl:

Mashallah greenshirt nice to see you onboard lol, i am sure you will inshallah enjoy it here

See you around inshallah.

:w:

crayon
04-16-2009, 04:05 PM
MashaAllah, welcome to the forums brother.:)

nebula
04-16-2009, 04:20 PM
walaykumasalaam akhi :) welcome to the forums! :thumbs_up

Bint-Al-Islam
04-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Salam Alekum brother
Welcome to Islam and LI.. May u benefit from this site InshAllah :)

greenshirt
04-16-2009, 11:39 PM
thank you all for the welcomes. i can already tell this is going to be a great place insha allah

saya- alhumdullillah yes multaqa ahl al hadeeth is a great place to learn and get your questions answered. they also have a very strict code of etiquette which is great because it makes it pretty much a drama-free environment. sheikh hamdan is also really knowledgeable in the aqeedah as is umm abdullah, another member. may allah(swt) reward them. insha allah one day i will learn arabic and join their arabic forum. it is way bigger and i think they have scholars that visit.

greykode- haha akhi, how funny and coincidental. i graduated from virginia tech last year. i just moved to arlington this past summer. it's a very nice place and there is so much to do here especially being near DC.

well any ways thank you all so much for the warm welcoming *smile*

wa salaam

- Qatada -
04-17-2009, 04:01 PM
:salamext:

its good to see u here bro :)

FatimaAsSideqah
04-17-2009, 04:07 PM
As salaam alaykum new brother.

Welcome to LI Islamic.

Such a interesting story! Masha'Allah for find the light of Islam.

May Allah Taala blessing be upon you in this life and the Hereafter.

'Abdul Rahmaan
04-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Welcome brother! Glad to have you here. :)

Strzelecki
04-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Wa alaikum salam, Greenshirt.
Welcome to the forums.
Hope you ahve a beneficial stay.

Masha'Allah.
May Allah (swt) continue to guide you. Ameen.

Wasalam.

Danah
04-18-2009, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenshirt

saya- alhumdullillah yes multaqa ahl al hadeeth is a great place to learn and get your questions answered. they also have a very strict code of etiquette which is great because it makes it pretty much a drama-free environment. sheikh hamdan is also really knowledgeable in the aqeedah as is umm abdullah, another member. may allah(swt) reward them. insha allah one day i will learn arabic and join their arabic forum. it is way bigger and i think they have scholars that visit.
I am really excited to join that place.....
but I am still waiting their activation, just wanna ask you brother, did you wait for long time to get the activation?

greenshirt
04-20-2009, 05:47 AM
thanks you guys for the warm welcoming! this place has been great thus far *smile*

format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
I am really excited to join that place.....
but I am still waiting their activation, just wanna ask you brother, did you wait for long time to get the activation?
hey ukthee,

no, there wasnt a wait at all. but when i joined i dont think it was like it is now. i think you just verified your e-mail and you could join.

but i know they have implemented some new measures since then. for example, i dont think the arabic forums even allows new members anymore.

maybe the admin in charge of this is currently busy or something. if you want i could ask them what the hold-up is.

wa salaam

noorseeker
04-20-2009, 06:24 AM
Assalamalikum brother welcome

ژاله
04-20-2009, 06:44 AM
welcome to li bro,inshallah u will have a beneficial stay here

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.