/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Math pupils learn how to drown Turks

Pomak
04-17-2009, 06:24 AM
“How would you place Christians and Turks on a sinking ship so that only the latter drowned?”, reads a problem in a math textbook for Poland’s primary school pupils.

“On board a sinking ship there are fifteen Christians and fifteen Turks. In order to save the ship from going to the bottom, half of the crew needs to be thrown overboard. One of the Christians proposes that the whole crew form a circle and every ninth person jump overboard. How should the Christians place themselves so that only the Turks are drowned?”reads a problem, quoted the lay Catholic newspaper Tygodnik Powszechny.

The rather controversial problem appeares in The Mathematical Miniatures for Primary Schools, a manual for second to twelfth grade students who want to participate in the International Mathematical Kangaroo competition. The book was published in 2004 by Aksjomat Publishing House from the northern city of Torun.

“We did not try to exhort anyone to hate. What mattered to us was the mathematical model – the historical context was irrelevant. In order to solve the problem one needs to be acquainted with principles Maths, not the ways of murdering Turks,” said co-author and publisher of the manual Piotr Nodzynski, naively. (mg/pg)
http://www.polskieradio.pl/thenews/f...wn_turks_.html

Charming.
PS. For those that don't know Torun is in Poland.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
czgibson
04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Greetings,

How shocking!

The man quoted is right:
In order to solve the problem one needs to be acquainted with principles Maths, not the ways of murdering Turks
In which case, why involve killing Turks at all?

Peace

crayon
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
:><:
Wow.

burdenofbeing
04-17-2009, 01:56 PM
it's funny how the opposite of christians are turks, still.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
04-17-2009, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
it's funny how the opposite of christians are turks, still.
And it's funny how the incident took place in Poland, a country never occupied by the Ottomans.

Al-Zaara
04-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Hahaha! Gee, weird people. So pathetic, you gotta laugh.

~Raynn~
04-17-2009, 07:11 PM
It's a really, really old problem...but it's shocking for it to be included in a primary school textbook...

alcurad
04-17-2009, 07:20 PM
couldn't it have been who gets the pastries instead,,

Amadeus85
04-17-2009, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
And it's funny how the incident took place in Poland, a country never occupied by the Ottomans.
Actually it was since 1672 but just for a few years.
What suprises me is that Kangaroo math test (me and few of my family members were taking part in Kangaroo math test). For first time I couldnt believe it, but now I think that it is some kind of mistake, or maybe very bad joke, as in my country there are almost no turkish immigration and so no anti turk sentiments.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Meh! What a silly are they? :rollseyes

Follower
04-18-2009, 01:22 PM
czgibson- why involve any people? Could have had the same problem with cargo.

Promoting hate and prejudice! Similar to the professor fantasizing about biological attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1KRijpCcE

Malaikah
04-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Not only is it disgusting, but the student has to make the assumption that none of the people are both Christian and Turkish (admittedly very rare but not impossible).

Whatsthepoint
04-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Thatt way it's got a touch of hitstory.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.