PDA

View Full Version : Have you been Drunk?



ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 08:37 PM
There is a thread about people who drink and drive and if they should be given the death penalty. I think you should know what its like to be drunk before you comment on how drunk people act. Not supporting drinking, not support drinking or driving, not supporting what drunks do, not defending I just want to know how many of you have been drunk before.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 08:39 PM
I have been drunk and intoxicated in otherways. I put in the other ways for people who have been high but not drunk.
Reply

Uthman
04-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi Mick,

I voted no since I have never been drunk.

I think you should know what its like to be drunk before you comment on how drunk people act.
I am curious as to why you think this? :)
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Its weird being drunk. Not to mention you can not comment on how some one thinks wioth out understanding the state of mind they were in.
I'll see if I can get around to listing somethings
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...k-drivers.html

This is the thread I was talking about.
Reply

Uthman
04-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks Mick. I can see what you're saying but I think you can easily comment on how drunk people act by merely observing them. You don't have to have been drunk yourself to see how they act! Of course, knowing what they actually think is a different matter and I would agree that you cannot comment on how a drunk person thinks unless you have been drunk yourself or a drunk person has described it to you.
Reply

burdenofbeing
04-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't think this is a case for empathy.
to take it to extreme, do you think we should murder people to understand what's it like to be a murderer?

regardless, the poll is also not very meaningful. Even if there were muslim people who got drunk here, they wouldn't tell. we cover our personal sins.
Reply

Uthman
04-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
Even if there were muslim people who got drunk here, they wouldn't tell. we cover our personal sins.
It's not a public poll though akhee...
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Allah* will know if they have been drunk and if they have lied.

Alchol changes how your brain works murdering some one does not change how your brain works. That is a huge difference.

* you know if you are all right and what not
Reply

YusufNoor
04-18-2009, 09:19 PM
:sl:

i'm irish...

i think that when kids turn 16, they should be given 2 choices: permission to drink alcohol or try to get a drivers license. NOT both! if you drink, it should be unlawful for you to drive. EVER!

of course that's only where drinking is permitted.

:w:
Reply

Mysterious Uk
04-18-2009, 09:20 PM
I voted no too, i understand your point though. Can say the same about smokers.. kind of. i always ask my cousin to quit it, but can never understand how hard it is if i have never smoked in my life.
Reply

Musaafirah
04-18-2009, 09:23 PM
So, what about all these campaigns to stop drink driving and all?
Surely you can see the harms of drink driving and all right?
Some people have lost their life due to the driver of the vehicle they collided with being drunk. That was their defence. 'I was drunk.'
You don't need to experience it to see the harms right. It's like one of those things where prevention is better than cure, but hey, if someone's curious to find out what it's like, who are we to stop them eh? (!)
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 09:26 PM
My point was not that they should be treated likely, just that some members should show a bit more restraint because they do no understand.
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by YusufNoor
:sl:

i'm irish...

i think that when kids turn 16, they should be given 2 choices: permission to drink alcohol or try to get a drivers license. NOT both! if you drink, it should be unlawful for you to drive. EVER!

of course that's only where drinking is permitted.

:w:

In most parts of American you can not get around and live with out driving.
Ask Woodrow hes got it worse then me.
Reply

NIKKY
04-18-2009, 09:34 PM
av nvr bin drunk...i no lots hu hav, the rubbish dey chat wen drunk is unreal...!
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by NIKKY
av nvr bin drunk...i no lots hu hav, the rubbish dey chat wen drunk is unreal...!
Hahah yeah I have heard some weird convos
Reply

YusufNoor
04-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
In most parts of American you can not get around and live with out driving.
Ask Woodrow hes got it worse then me.
why should i have to ask Woodrow? i've only been living in the US for 50 years! :blind:

you CAN "get around and live" without drinking. and if you can't then taxis should be a big part of your future. i just think that folks should HAVE to choose. oh, and this is unrelated to the other thread.

:w:
Reply

Shamshīr-Amir
04-18-2009, 09:38 PM
No, I haven't. I couldn't even if I wanted to. I have tried beer before now, and it tastes too bitter for my liking.
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by YusufNoor
why should i have to ask Woodrow? i've only been living in the US for 50 years! :blind:

you CAN "get around and live" without drinking. and if you can't then taxis should be a big part of your future. i just think that folks should HAVE to choose. oh, and this is unrelated to the other thread.

:w:

Yes you can get around with our drinking.
Reply

burdenofbeing
04-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Osman
It's not a public poll though akhee...
Still, it causes fitnah. Not nice, for a muslim.

Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
Allah* will know if they have been drunk and if they have lied.
Lol. It's not about lying to Allah. Of course he knows.

Alchol changes how your brain works murdering some one does not change how your brain works. That is a huge difference.
Ah. I see.
In that case, the difference is understanding by knowledge, and understanding by experience. What would the extra information we gained by experiencing help? We already know that it clouds judgement and all that.

At any rate, even though murder and drinking are different, they are against the set of morals / laws that are crucial for muslims. Empathizing would be dangerous. I know this from experience :)
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I know I did not mean to encurgage the act. I just meant its hard to judge with out knowing by understanding. Yes you know it clouds but do you understand how it coulds. I mean you can say how horrid and it is I just feel its not right to fully judge with out knowing.

Why is fitnah to vote yes if that is the truth?
Reply

burdenofbeing
04-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
I know I did not mean to encurgage the act. I just meant its hard to judge with out knowing by understanding. Yes you know it clouds but do you understand how it coulds. I mean you can say how horrid and it is I just feel its not right to fully judge with out knowing.

Why is fitnah to vote yes if that is the truth?
You say judging, and I ask you, what would the penal system and laws be like if we only judged people after walking in their shoes? If we were all criminals, then why would what we do, be a crime?

This is not how laws work. I mean, really, universally, this is not how laws work. Laws exist as a common set of beliefs a mass holds. Punishment is there not to punish the criminal per se, but to strengthen the belief of the innocent.

It's fitnah, because it may tell people that many muslims drink, and it may be more ok than he thought. Similar to what I've already told. It's about upholding the values.
Reply

Whatsthepoint
04-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Yes, but wasted only once or twice.
Reply

Cabdullahi
04-18-2009, 10:00 PM
^ he's lying hahah '' wasted once or twice'' <<<<<< haha he's german you know how they're like
Reply

Whatsthepoint
04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
^ he's lying hahah '' wasted once or twice'' <<<<<< haha he's german you know how they're like
Once or twice from what I can remember..:-[
Reply

burdenofbeing
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
depends on ones definition of being wasted it's possible :P
Reply

أبو سليمان عمر
04-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
I know I did not mean to encurgage the act. I just meant its hard to judge with out knowing by understanding. Yes you know it clouds but do you understand how it coulds. I mean you can say how horrid and it is I just feel its not right to fully judge with out knowing.

Why is fitnah to vote yes if that is the truth?
Being in there shoe means to have been through it or did it correct?
well if that is a case to say heroin , coke, weed ,alcohol is not horrid until we try?
let me ask another Question why do people do these things?
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every intoxicant is khamr and every intoxicant is haraam.” Narrated by Muslim, 2003.

90. O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), gambling, Al*Ansâb, and Al*Azlâm (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaitân's (Satan) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.

91. Shaitân (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allâh and from As-Salât (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?
quran 5:90-91
So in order to say how horrid it is we must sin? are Allah's words not enough?
Reply

Yanal
04-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Hopefully no brother in Islam has been drunk,I however am the same I have not and will not get drunk it is against Islam.
Reply

Whatsthepoint
04-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Yanal
Hopefully no brother in Islam has been drunk,I however am the same I have not and will not get drunk it is against Islam.
You can get drunk from too much dates!
Reply

أبو سليمان عمر
04-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
You can get drunk from too much dates!
really in ramadan i eat plenty and haven't got drunk Alhumdulillah and isnt there a process for it to get to that point like in grapes apples etc?
Reply

NIKKY
04-18-2009, 10:34 PM
cud u get high on red bull...is it classed as intoxicated..?
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Addiction is a disease.
Reply

أبو سليمان عمر
04-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by NIKKY
cud u get high on red bull...is it classed as intoxicated..?
About redbull Allah knows best couldnt tell u but anythink that intoxicate is haram unless for a good cause.
Reply

Woodrow
04-18-2009, 10:55 PM
For many years prior to my reverting to Islam, alcohol was a very big part of my life. There was always alcohol at social functions even state functions and office celebrations. Alcohol was a daily occurrence with meals. A few drinks with co-workers and contemporaries was very much a part of life.

I can honestly say i never got drunk deliberately. But, there were more then just a few occasions during which my alcohol tolerance was lower than I expected.

So, my answer to the poll is yes. but, that does not change my opinion about drunk driving. I do classify drunk drivers as murderers and do not excuse it because the person was incapacitated by alcohol.


The simple fact is if a person is going to be in a place they may imbibe alcohol, no matter how little, they have no business having their car keys with them or access to driving.

the best choice is do not drink.

but, if a person is insistent on drinking, no matter how little they plan to drink, it is their responsibility to be certain they will not be able to access a car for the purpose of driving.. If a person does not do so I believe they should be held accountable for every action they do and any negligence should be considered premeditated.

I can also say on the occasions I was drunk, I did not consider myself drunk and thought my driving ability was unaffected. I am extremely grateful I never was in an accident nor injured anyone Mashallaah. But that was only because Allaah(swt) prevented such from happening. Yes, I believe if I had caused a death under such a condition, I should have been prosecuted for premeditated murder or if no life was lost, for attempted murder.

BTW I have not touched alcohol since I reverted.

TRIVIA: Texas has the harshest drinking laws of any State. In every county in Texas it is illegal to be in public if you have been drinking recently or if their is any indication you have been drinking. It is also illegal for anyone serving alcohol to allow a person to drive if they suspect the person may be drunk. Having more then one drink is considered reason to suspect.

I believe alcohol related deaths in Texas are now the lowest in the nation. Also in nearly half of the Texas counties it is illegal to sell alcohol and in the remainder it is very regulated and discourged.

I am not certain what the penalties in Texas are, but assume they are very high.
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Life can be intoxicating!!! I think this is in a good and acceptible way. I am sure many of you feel that Islam and pray can be intoxicating.?
Reply

أبو سليمان عمر
04-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
Life can be intoxicating!!! I think this is in a good and acceptible way. I am sure many of you feel that Islam and pray can be intoxicating.?
what does intoxicate mean?
Intoxication is the state of being affected by one or more psychoactive drugs. It can also refer to the effects caused by the ingestion of poison or by the overconsumption of normally harmless substances.
affected by a substance.
So when we Pray it is not an intoxicating but more of tranquility feeling
Hope you see the difference
Reply

burdenofbeing
04-18-2009, 11:20 PM
many poets described the divine love as intoxicating, and used wine to describe it.
Reply

Whatsthepoint
04-18-2009, 11:23 PM
If anyone here was really into booze they wouldn't b spening a perfectly good saturday night in an islamic forum..
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Umar^111
what does intoxicate mean?
Intoxication is the state of being affected by one or more psychoactive drugs. It can also refer to the effects caused by the ingestion of poison or by the overconsumption of normally harmless substances.
affected by a substance.
So when we Pray it is not an intoxicating but more of tranquility feeling
Hope you see the difference
learn the language of poetry.
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
many poets described the divine love as intoxicating, and used wine to describe it.
How do feel about that? Do you agree? I find love to be this way. Man do I rember the first girl I loved. I was intoxicated and addicted.
Reply

islamlover_girl
04-18-2009, 11:34 PM
alhamdolilah ,I never drank as I was born as muslim.
Reply

burdenofbeing
04-18-2009, 11:37 PM
I can't say that I agree, as I haven't experienced that. but I can understand.
It's almost the whole point of sufism.
Reply

Cabdullahi
04-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
If anyone here was really into booze they wouldn't b spening a perfectly good saturday night in an islamic forum..
so what are you doing here?..its saturday night mate!!!.......
Reply

أبو سليمان عمر
04-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
learn the language of poetry.
Can you define what does the language of poetry is ?:D
i dont understand what you are trying to tell me
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Umar^111
Can you define what does the language of poetry is ?:D
i dont understand what you are trying to tell me
Well first off what your native tounge?
Reply

أبو سليمان عمر
04-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
Well first off what your native tounge?
Arabic but i was born in the states
Btw what does poetry have to do with your question I am sure many of you feel that Islam and pray can be intoxicating.?
Were you being poetic when saying that?
Reply

AntiKarateKid
04-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
There is a thread about people who drink and drive and if they should be given the death penalty. I think you should know what its like to be drunk before you comment on how drunk people act. Not supporting drinking, not support drinking or driving, not supporting what drunks do, not defending I just want to know how many of you have been drunk before.
I think the statistics from your fellow drunkards and the people they hurt speak for themselves.

But I agree with you, I should try to juggle knives before commenting how stupid it is to do so!
Reply

BoredAgnostic
04-19-2009, 01:28 AM
Yes, I've been drunk on multiple occasions. Once you've reach the level of "trashed"-heavily intoxicated, your motor skills and cognitive abilities are extremely impaired. Under NO circumstances are you in any condition to drive. Personally one or two cans of beer or glasses of wine as no perceived effect on me, BUT I would never take that chance even if there was 99% chance I would get home safely. I do believe that if you decide to get drunk, you need prepare yourself so you don't end up in the car, driving haphazardly down the road. You don't have anyone to blame but yourself if you take that chance and end up doing something utterly reckless and stupid like that.
Reply

BoredAgnostic
04-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
My point was not that they should be treated likely, just that some members should show a bit more restraint because they do no understand.
I don't believe that they should get the Death Penalty, but I don't think this is a matter of understanding. Yes, when you are heavily intoxicated you usually don't have much of any control over yourself and you end up forgetting large chunks of what happened while you were drunk, but that doesn't excuse what they did by any means. You know prior to when you get drunk that there are steps that you have to take to insure that you don't get in the car and drive.... Whether you have a designated driver, or asking someone to hide your keys, etc..that is YOUR responsibility.
Reply

Whatsthepoint
04-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
so what are you doing here?..its saturday night mate!!!.......
That's what I'm saying!
Reply

ardianto
04-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow

TRIVIA: Texas has the harshest drinking laws of any State. In every county in Texas it is illegal to be in public if you have been drinking recently or if their is any indication you have been drinking. It is also illegal for anyone serving alcohol to allow a person to drive if they suspect the person may be drunk. Having more then one drink is considered reason to suspect.

I believe alcohol related deaths in Texas are now the lowest in the nation. Also in nearly half of the Texas counties it is illegal to sell alcohol and in the remainder it is very regulated and discourged.

I am not certain what the penalties in Texas are, but assume they are very high.
Asalamuallaikum, Uncle Woodrow. I found this joke in my book (printed in 2003)


The National Transportation Safety Board recently divulged that they had funded a project with American car-makers over the past five years. In the covert project, car-makers installed black boxes in 4WD pickup trucks in an effort to determine, in fatal accidents, the circumstances in the last fifteen seconds before the crash.
They were surprised to find in forty-nine of the fifty states the last words of drivers in 61.2% of fatal crashes were, 'Oh, S**t!.
Only the state of Texas was different. There, 89.3% of the final words were, 'Hey Y'all, hold my beer and watch this!'.
Reply

Woodrow
04-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Asalamuallaikum, Uncle Woodrow. I found this joke in my book (printed in 2003)


The National Transportation Safety Board recently divulged that they had funded a project with American car-makers over the past five years. In the covert project, car-makers installed black boxes in 4WD pickup trucks in an effort to determine, in fatal accidents, the circumstances in the last fifteen seconds before the crash.
They were surprised to find in forty-nine of the fifty states the last words of drivers in 61.2% of fatal crashes were, 'Oh, S**t!.
Only the state of Texas was different. There, 89.3% of the final words were, 'Hey Y'all, hold my beer and watch this!'.
While Texas does joke about it's very rowdy past. Most people are surprised to discover it is no longer the "Wild West" seen in movies. As a former Texan I find your joke funny and believe most Texans today will also enjoy the laugh.
Reply

S_87
04-19-2009, 09:25 PM
They ask you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit."
2:219

No Alhumdulillah.
Reply

Tony
04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
done it all to death,.....almost. drink n drugs on dailly basis drags you into a subculture that is hard as hell to get out of. I left friends behind, my last vice that gripped me and the one I could not shake was skunk. finally found strength to ditch it when started to seriously fulfill my covenant with Allah and got blessed with children. Nothin mushy just cold hard abstenance with Allah granting me strength. All praise is His, Take from us that which keeps us from you Allah
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-19-2009, 10:57 PM
What is skunk? I have heard good/stinky weeed called skunky but?
Reply

greenshirt
04-20-2009, 05:29 AM
i have been drunk more times than i can remember.

i have also been intoxicated under other substances.(weed, bars, ex, and cocaine)

driving while on cocaine didnt cause any problems. i could drive perfectly normal.

but on the other substances and on alcohol, especially if i was really drunk or drugged out, my driving was very impaired and very bad. i remember once having to ask my friends if there was a stop sign or not. and waking up with a dent in my car, and not remembering how it got there.

or when my friend was on a bar and i wasnt. and she was swerving everywhere and going way under the speed limit. and stopping to turn in the middle of the road with ongoing traffic.

and all these times i knew this could be a possibility. i knew i could get so messed up that it would majorly impair my driving. but i still drove.

therefore it would absolutely be my fault if i decided to drive while under the influence. i should be held accountable if anything had happened to someone. because i wasnt force to take drugs/alcohol. i knew what could happen or how my driving could be because i did it before.

a few days ago a drunk driver in houston killed 5 children. yet people still dont think it can happen to them.

alhumdullillah during the last two years of university, my drug rebellious experimenting stopped and since becoming a muslim i have become a much better person.

but even then its not like i popped bars or exo's or smoked weed or drank all the time. i did it here and there, like a typical college american student.
Reply

Muhajabah
04-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Alhamdulillah, I came to islam when I was still young, so I never had time to drink almost. Tried, but it was nothing for me, even as a nonmuslim. Neither of my friends did drink much either.
Reply

UmmSqueakster
04-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Does one have to be drunk in order to witness people acting stupidly when drunk? Especially when we've witnessed people who have had their lives brutally taken from them by drunk drivers (at 11 am on a monday morning).

Yes, I've been drunk before I converted to Islam. And yes, drunk people act stupidly. I didn't need to by drunk to confirm what was readily observable just about anywhere in the country.

And yes, I believe drunk drivers, especially those who cause harm to others, should be punished increadibly harshly. Like lock them up and throw away the key.
Reply

burdenofbeing
04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by greenshirt
i have been drunk more times than i can remember.

i have also been intoxicated under other substances.(weed, bars, ex, and cocaine)

driving while on cocaine didnt cause any problems. i could drive perfectly normal.

but on the other substances and on alcohol, especially if i was really drunk or drugged out, my driving was very impaired and very bad. i remember once having to ask my friends if there was a stop sign or not. and waking up with a dent in my car, and not remembering how it got there.

or when my friend was on a bar and i wasnt. and she was swerving everywhere and going way under the speed limit. and stopping to turn in the middle of the road with ongoing traffic.

and all these times i knew this could be a possibility. i knew i could get so messed up that it would majorly impair my driving. but i still drove.

therefore it would absolutely be my fault if i decided to drive while under the influence. i should be held accountable if anything had happened to someone. because i wasnt force to take drugs/alcohol. i knew what could happen or how my driving could be because i did it before.

a few days ago a drunk driver in houston killed 5 children. yet people still dont think it can happen to them.

alhumdullillah during the last two years of university, my drug rebellious experimenting stopped and since becoming a muslim i have become a much better person.

but even then its not like i popped bars or exo's or smoked weed or drank all the time. i did it here and there, like a typical college american student.
it's a good thing you weren't put to death then.
Reply

Tony
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
What is skunk? I have heard good/stinky weeed called skunky but?
Skunk weed. called skunk in UK coz it smells so strong
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by TKTony
Skunk weed. called skunk in UK coz it smells so strong
Ok thats what I thought.:D We call "stinky" weed here in the states Skunk too but, it is usualy use as an adjative like, "this weed is skunk," and is not usualy reffered to as a type. Admitledly I can see that being the case just wanted to make sure we were seeing eye to eye. Thanks Tony.
Reply

Bint-Al-Islam
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Alhamdulillah I never drank...
Reply

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-20-2009, 09:47 PM
BTW those days are behind me.
Reply

BoredAgnostic
04-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
I think the statistics from your fellow drunkards and the people they hurt speak for themselves.

But I agree with you, I should try to juggle knives before commenting how stupid it is to do so!
I highly doubt everyone that said "yes" are horrible alcoholics that harm and hurt people in their drunken stupor.
Reply

convert
04-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I was not a muslim in college but I was in a fraternity. Its one of many things that caused me to question how I was living.
Reply

rpwelton
04-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
For many years prior to my reverting to Islam, alcohol was a very big part of my life. There was always alcohol at social functions even state functions and office celebrations. Alcohol was a daily occurrence with meals. A few drinks with co-workers and contemporaries was very much a part of life.

I can honestly say i never got drunk deliberately. But, there were more then just a few occasions during which my alcohol tolerance was lower than I expected.

So, my answer to the poll is yes. but, that does not change my opinion about drunk driving. I do classify drunk drivers as murderers and do not excuse it because the person was incapacitated by alcohol.


The simple fact is if a person is going to be in a place they may imbibe alcohol, no matter how little, they have no business having their car keys with them or access to driving.

the best choice is do not drink.

but, if a person is insistent on drinking, no matter how little they plan to drink, it is their responsibility to be certain they will not be able to access a car for the purpose of driving.. If a person does not do so I believe they should be held accountable for every action they do and any negligence should be considered premeditated.

I can also say on the occasions I was drunk, I did not consider myself drunk and thought my driving ability was unaffected. I am extremely grateful I never was in an accident nor injured anyone Mashallaah. But that was only because Allaah(swt) prevented such from happening. Yes, I believe if I had caused a death under such a condition, I should have been prosecuted for premeditated murder or if no life was lost, for attempted murder.

BTW I have not touched alcohol since I reverted.

TRIVIA: Texas has the harshest drinking laws of any State. In every county in Texas it is illegal to be in public if you have been drinking recently or if their is any indication you have been drinking. It is also illegal for anyone serving alcohol to allow a person to drive if they suspect the person may be drunk. Having more then one drink is considered reason to suspect.

I believe alcohol related deaths in Texas are now the lowest in the nation. Also in nearly half of the Texas counties it is illegal to sell alcohol and in the remainder it is very regulated and discourged.

I am not certain what the penalties in Texas are, but assume they are very high.
Does that mean that in nearly half the state there are also no restaurants that serve alcohol? If that's true, alhamdullilah.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2015, 07:51 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 10:57 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!