/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of self-evaluation

أبو سليمان عمر
04-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Asalam Wa Alakum ..... how are you all pls take a min to read this and ask yourself the Question there is a link to the video as well at the end

It is suggested to our brothers and sisters whether beginners, illustrious workers, or responsible leaders, that they should have a daily period put aside for self-evaluation and examination. We should realise that all of us are going to be accountable for our deeds on the Day of Judgement. It is therefore wise that we continuously assess ourselves in this world and make amends before that final judgement by Allah when we will not be given an opportunity to make up for our misdeeds.

The prophet said: ‘Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin.’ (Muslim).

1. Did I offer my five daily Salat on time?

Guard stricly your Salat or Prayer, especially the middle prayer; and stand before Allah submissively (al-Baqarah 2.238).

The Prayer most loved by Allah is Prayer performed on time (Muslim).

2. Am I satisfied with the quality of my Salat?

If a man performs two units of prayer without the distraction of any worldly thoughts, all his previous sins will be forgiven (Bukhari)
When you stand for Prayer perform your Prayer as if were your last (Ahmad).

3. How many verses of the Qur’an did I memorise?

Indeed the one who memorises nothing of the Qur’an is similar to a deserted house (Timidhi)

4. What steps did I take to bring my family closer to Islam?

O you who believe! Save yourself and your family from a fire whose fuel is men and stones (66:6).

5. How many Salat did I offer in congregation?

Prayer with congregation is twenty-seven times superior to one performed individually. (Bukhari)

6. What part of the Qur’an did I read with understanding?

Do they not seek to understand the Qur’an, or are their hearts locked up by them? (47:24)

7. What did I do to fulfil my duty as a da’iyah (caller to Islam)?

Encourage one another in truth, and encourage one another in patience. (al-Asr 103)

Who is better in speech than one who calls to God, acts righteously and says: I am of those who surrenter [unto Him]. (al Fusilat 41:33]

8. Have I treated my parents with love and respect and have I given due consideration to all their needs?

our Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you are to be kind to Parents whether on or both of them attain old age during your lifetime, say no to them a word of contempt nor repel them but address them in terms of honour. And out of kindness lower to them the wing of humility and say: My Lord: bestow on them your mercy even as they cherished me in childhood (17:23-24)

9. Did I safeguard my tongue from useless speech?

he faith of a man cannot be straight unless his heart becomes straight and his heart cannot be straight unless his tongue becomes straight. (Ahmad)

10. Did I commend others for the good things they may have done?

Kind works and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. Allah is free of all wants and He is Most Forbearing (2:263)

11. Did I take an interest in my health (diet, exercises, etc)?

Health for one who fears Allah is better than wealth (Hadith)

12 Have I been just in all my dealings?

O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice as witnesses to Allah even against yourself, or your kith and kin and whether they be rich or poor, for Allah can best protect both. (al-Nisa 4:135)

13. Did I backbite or slander anyone?

None of you should tell me anything about anyone, for I like to meet [anyone] of you with a clean heart. (Abu Dawud).

14. What acts of sadaqah did I perform?

There are 360 joints in the body and for each joint you must give a sadaqah (thanks or charity). (Bukhari)

15. Was I safeguard my eyes from the evil influences of Shaitan?

A gaze is a poisoned arrow from Satan. Whoever abstains from it in fear of God shall receive from Him an increase in faith, the sweetness of which he will feel in his hear. (Musnad of ibn Hanbal)

16. What have I read to improve my understanding of Islam?

(Al-Fatir 35:28 )

17. Did I save a portion of my wealth?

Make not your hand be chained to your neck nor open it with a complete opening, lest you become blameworthy and destitute. (al-Isra 17:29)

18. Did I fulfil all my promises?

And fulfil your promise. Verily you will be answerable for your promises (al-Isra 17:34)

19. Did I make tawbah (seek Allah’s forgiveness)?

Allah will continue to hold out His hand at night so that he who sinned during the day might repent, and to hold out His hand during the day so that he who sinned at night might repent till the sun shoud rise from the West. (Muslim)

20. Did I implement what I read and said?

O you who believer! Why do you say that which you do not do? Grievously hateful is it in the sight of God that you should say what you do not do. (al-Saif 6x-243)

21. Did I perform my work with proficiency?

Verily Allah loves that when anyone of you does a job, he should perfect it. (al-Bayhaqi)

22. Did I reflect on my accountability to Allah on the Day of Judgement?

And fear the Day when you shall be brought back to Allah. Then shall every soul be paid what it earned and none shall be dealt with unjustly (al-Baqarah 2:281)

That day we seal your mouths and hand speak out and feet bear witness, to all that they did. (Ya-Sin 36:65)

23. Am I satisfied with the way I spent the day?

Wise is the one who continually assesses himself and performs good deeds for the life after death. Foolish is the one who follows his desires and entertains very high hopes from Allah. (Timidhi).

‘Umar ibn al-Khattab, in one of his famous sayings said “Judge yourselves before you are judged, evaluate yourselves before you are evaluated and be ready for the greatest investigation (the Day of Judgement)”

“The World is three days: As for yesterday, it has vanished, along with all that was in it. As for tomorrow, you may never see it. As for today, it is yours, so work in it.” (Hassan al-Basri)
http://alqamardesigns.wordpress.com/...udge-yourself/
SO ASK YOURSELF "DO I"
Judge yourself before you Judge
May Allah increase us all in our eman, and make firm our hearts on Islam. Ameen!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
nebula
04-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Mashallah great post akhi :), i don't think ive ever self-evaluated myself and my commintent to Islam properly before, but i guess its very important so that we can learn our weaknesses and improve ourselfs accordingly, this would probably help our Iman.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
Mashallah great post akhi :), i don't think ive ever self-evaluated myself and my commintent to Islam properly before, but i guess its very important so that we can learn our weaknesses and improve ourselfs accordingly, this would probably help our Iman.
Indeed akhi Jazak Allahu KHAYR

GreyKode
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Nice tips brother Umar, Jazak ALLAH kheir.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
أبو سليمان عمر
04-23-2009, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
Nice tips brother Umar, Jazak ALLAH kheir.
Wa Ayaakk akhi May Allah increase us all in our eman, and make firm our hearts on Islam. Ameen!

Yanal
04-23-2009, 03:26 AM
My local imam said in this topic" The muslim who takes time in his day and reflects on his iman that day then he will inshAllah become a true Muslim with a high iman".

أبو سليمان عمر
04-23-2009, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
My local imam said in this topic" The muslim who takes time in his day and reflects on his iman that day then he will inshAllah become a true Muslim with a high iman".
well akhi inshallah we can all start doing it and it will help us now what we need to work on our Goal in life should be one to please Allah in everything we do. and we need to remember Allah did not make this world a permanent world. This is a temporary world and everything here has a time limit. When its times comes it will die, come to an end and finish. Neither the good things of this world are forever, nor the bad things eternal. We are here for a short time and we are being tested. what is 60 70 120 years to eternity we have to show we are grateful how do we do that the way we walk talk act everything we do we do it thanking Allah and showing our gratefulness to Him Allah gave us sight dont look at things that are forbidding Allah gave us ears to hear dont listen to things that are forbidding Allah gave us 24 hours in a day give back some time in salah and good deeds he gave us money spend it in halal and help the needy etc what ever Allah gives us we should give back some in return FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH prove to ourselves we are grateful
May Allah increase us all in our eman, and make firm our hearts on Islam. Ameen!

Yanal
04-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Ameen. It will inshAllah help us remember our goal.

saba muslimah
04-23-2009, 03:54 AM
MashALLAH very nice thread...brother
‘Umar ibn al-Khattab, in one of his famous sayings said “Judge yourselves before you are judged, evaluate yourselves before you are evaluated and be ready for the greatest investigation (the Day of Judgement)”
True...!! I m always trying to do my best for Allah,& Try to do amal on His Prophet's (p.B.U.H) Sunnah...
now am Learn alot from this post thanks dear

Yanal
04-23-2009, 03:59 AM
* jazakAllah is more of a thanks and gives a good deed. Reflect on that today sister.

saba muslimah
04-23-2009, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
* jazakAllah is more of a thanks and gives a good deed. Reflect on that today sister.
JzakALLAH Brother...!! :statisfie

Pls.Remember ur sis in prayers imsad

أبو سليمان عمر
04-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Allahummaj 'alni miman tawwakala 'alaika, fakafait-tahu wastahdaka fahadaittahu wastansaraka fanasaratahu
(O Allah! Let us be among those who had complete trust in Thee; so You sufficed them; and they sought guidance from Thee; so You directed them to the right Path; and they asked help of Thee; so You assisted them.)

Allahummaj'al wasāwisa qalbi khashyatika wa dhikrika waj'alhammi wa hawāyā fima tuhibbu wa tarda.
(O Allah! Render the thoughts and inclinations within my heart, to be Your fear and remembrance, and let my endeavour and desire be devoted to what You love and appreciate.)

Rabbana 'afrigh 'alaiyna sabran-wa ta-waffana muslimeen
(Our Rabb! pour upon us perseverance, and cause us to die as Muslims. [surah al-A'raf, 7: 126]

Allahumma aqbil bi qalbi ilā deenika wahfadh min warāyina bi Rahmatika
(O Allah! Let my heart turn (with devotion) to Your Deen, and save me (from every kind of evil) with Your Mercy.)

Allahumma zayyinna bi zinat al-iman wa'j'alna hudatan muhtadin
O Allah, adorn us with the adornment of faith, and made us of those who guide others and are themselves on guidance

Allahumma thabbitnī-an azilla wahdini an adilla
(O Allah! Keep me feet firm on Thy Right Path so that I should not stagger, and guide me to the true Faith so that I should not go astray.)

Allahumma inni asaluka imaanan daaį'man, wa hudan qayyįman wa 'ilman naafį'an
(O Allah! I ask Thee for everlasting Iman, and continual guidance and a useful Knowledge.)

Allahumma inni asaluka imaanan daāiman, wa asaluka qalban khashi'an, wa asaluka yaqįnan saadiqan, wa asaluka deenan qayyiman.
(O Allah! I ask Thee for everlasting iman; and I ask Thee [for] a heart which should fear Thee; and I ask Thee [for] a true confidence in Thee; and I ask Thee [for] a firm deen.)

Allahumma ahyini Musliman wa amitinī Musliman
O Allah! Let me live as a true Muslim, and cause me to die as a true Muslim.)

Allahumma ā'tinī kitabii bi yamīīnī
(O Allah! Give me the scrolls [of my deeds] in my Right Hand.)

Allahumma inni asaluka tawfiqa ahlil-huda wa 'amala ahlil yaqįni, wa munasahata ahlittaubati, wa 'azma ahlis-sabri, wa jidda ahlil-khashyati, wa talaba ahlil-rraghbati, wa ta'abudu ahlil wa'ri wa 'irfāna ahlil 'ilmi hatta alqāka
(O Allah! I ask You for the success (of good deeds) like the Rightly Guided ones, and the actions (like the Rightly Guided ones), and the sincerity [like that] of the repentant ones, and the determination [like that] of the patient people, and the struggle [like that] of those who Fear You and the search (for Truth) [like that] of those who love You, and the worship [like that] of the the pious, and the keen insight [as of] of great scholars, until I meet You.)

Allahummamaftah masami'a qalbi li-dhikrika war zuqni ta'atala wa ta'a'ta rasul-lika, wa 'amalan bi kitaabi[ka]
(O Allah! Open the ears of my heart for Your remembrance, and grant me [the ability to be to] Your complete obedience, and the obedience of Your Prophet, , and the observation (actions) [of the commandments] of Your book.)

Ya Muqqalib al Qulūub, thabbit qalbi 'ala deenak
(O Converter of hearts! Make my heart steadfast in the deen)

Allahumma faq-qihna fid deen
(O Allah! Grant us understanding of the deen.)

Allahumma inni asaluka sih-hitan fi imanan, wa imanan fi husni khulqin, wa najāhan tutbi'uhu falahan, wa rahmatan minka, wa 'afiyatan, wa magh-firatan minka wa ridhwaanan
(O Allah! I ask for health/goodness of iman, and iman accompanied by good behaviour, and success followed by peace and mercy from You; and also security, pleasure and forgiveness.)

Rabbi qad 'aatay-tanee minal-mulki wa allam-tanee min- ta'-weelil-'ahadees,- Faatiras-samaa-waati wal-arz: 'anta wa-liyyii fid-dunyaa wal-'akhirati ta-waffanee musliman-wa 'al-hiqnee bis-saali-heen
(My Lord! You have already given me of the kingdom and taught me the interpretation of the narratives; Originator of the heavens and the earth! You are my Protector in this world and the Hereafter. Make me die as a Muslim, and join me with the righteous.) [Surah Yusuf, 12: 101]
[Prophet Yusuf (alayhis salam) made this supplication after he became the ruler of Egypt]

Rabbi 'awzi'-ni 'an 'ashkura ni'-mata kallatee 'an-'amta 'alayya wa 'alaa waalidayya wa 'an 'a-mala saalihan tarzaahu wa 'adkhilnee bi-rahmatika fee 'ibadikas-saliheen
(My Rabb! permit me to give thanks for Your blessing which You have bestowed on me and on my parents, and that I may do good which pleases You, and admit me, with Your mercy, among Your righteous bondsmen.) [surah Naml, 27: 19]
[Prophet Sulaiman (alayhis salam) made this supplication]
Ameen thumma Ameen
Hope you all like this dua :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.