/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to cook a whole chicken pls

جوري
04-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Someone preferably br. Yusuf, give me a great recipe for a whole chicken that s juicy and tender in the oven I don't fry pls..

Jazakoum Allah khyran.. almost over insha'Allah may Allah swt bring my mother home safely to me so I don't have to cook anymore (I really hate cooking)imsad

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
04-19-2009, 05:24 AM
do you only need to cook a chicken without anything else, sis?
do you prefer it to be grilled? since you dont like frying

جوري
04-19-2009, 05:36 AM
I am open to all recipes pls share share....

Baraka Allah feeki...

burdenofbeing
04-19-2009, 05:40 AM
:)

I'll have a go.
Rub the chicken in and out with lots of salt and pepper.
If you want, cut up some tomatoes and potatoes and zucchini or whatever you like.
Put some garlic cloves (a dozen or so) inside the chicken.
Put a spoonful of flour in an oven bag, and shake.
Put all in the oven bag, stick a toothpick to make some holes in the bag (2-3).
Put in the oven (170 C), bake for 45 mins.

Slice the bag carefully, don't spill the juice. It's great.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
04-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Do not do as my first wife did the first time she cooked a chicken. Remember, it is not supposed to have feathers on it when you roast it.

Outside of that baking a chicken is fairly simple. The easiest way for a novice is to have it quartered, lay out the sections in a large baking dish skin side up.

OOOps, first rub down each section with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Simply place it in the oven at 375F for about 60 minutes. Check after 60 minutes, and if the skin is brown and crisp and the meat is separating from the leg bone, it is done. If it is not done check about every 15 minutes until it is done.

That is the simplest and probably the tastiest way to bake a chicken.

Danah
04-19-2009, 05:49 AM
The easiest way I started with in my early days of cooking was the following:
Cut the chicken to mid size pieces, make sure that you did not remove the skin because it will prevent the chicken from being burned in the oven
Add the flavors you want like salt and pepper or others to the chicken
Then put it in the oven and make sure that the oven fire is trned on from up and down side
After 30 minutes, check the chicken and flip it so it will be grilled from the other side as well...... But keep checking by using a knife to make sure that it is not raw..... I dont measure the time in this step :-[
Then, that's it dear...... Enjoy:D

burdenofbeing
04-19-2009, 05:56 AM
by the way, if you are feeling adventurous, sear the whole chicken with a little oil in the pan, over high heat. Tastes much better that way.

جوري
04-19-2009, 06:22 AM
haha this stuff is hilarious.. br woodrow especially.. you know me so well :D.. luckily I told my Br. to have the butcher remove all the icky poos from this chicken, I really don't want to deal with innards.. it reminds me anatomy and I refuse to eat something dissectable. but I digress..

I want the remedial intro pls..
starting with disinfecting the chicken to the trimmings to the temp to how long in there for..

I would also like to get rid of some stuff I have in the fridge, like zucchini and fennel and mushrooms and ginger etc etc....

glo
04-19-2009, 08:00 AM
This is how we roast out chicken (whole):

First, weigh the chicken to get an idea of your cooking time.
Allow 20 minutes cooking time per lb (500g) + another 20 minutes at gas mark 5, 375°F (190°C)
(For example, a 1.5 kg chicken would take 60mins + 20mins)

During the cooking it is quite nice to baste the chicken, which means you take a large spoon and spoon the cooking juices over the chicken - which keeps the meat moist and prevents it from drying out.

The last 15 minutes or so you can wack the heat up some more to crisp up the skin a bit.

To check that it is cook properly, stick a knife into the thickest part of the chicken's thigh. If the juices run out clear (not bloody), then it is done.

Enjoy! :)

Cabdullahi
04-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Dont worry gossammer......my sister hates to cook too :)

cooking roast chicken is easy come on!

ingredients

* One washed chicken(placed in salted water for about a few hours)
* Oil that has been used for a roast before
* Chicken seasoning(filfil,maggii or whatever its called...just your basic spices

Method

Heat oil in a tray in the oven until really hot and just under bubbling.

Put the washed chicken in the tray and cover with chicken seasoning.

Wait for about 15 - 20 minutes and then baste the chicken with the surrounding oil.

After an hour add any potatoes in the oil and baste the chicken and potatoes.

Continue basting every 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked - usually two hours.

Whatsthepoint
04-19-2009, 11:24 AM
First you need to have a quality free range chicken.

burdenofbeing
04-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Another bright side of living in Turkey. Country people come weekly to sell their products in the city. Chicken included. ^_^

Cabdullahi
04-19-2009, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
First you need to have a quality free range chicken.

^then after that?............

is the quality free chicken you are talking about an already cooked chicken from the restaurant ,because you have only explained one step of executing the preparation of a roast chicken?

Whatsthepoint
04-19-2009, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
^then after that?............

is the quality free chicken you are talking about an already cooked chicken from the restaurant ,because you have only explained one step of executing the preparation of a roast chicken?
You can use any recipe but free ange chicks supposedly taste better and are healthier.

YusufNoor
04-19-2009, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
haha this stuff is hilarious.. br woodrow especially.. you know me so well :D.. luckily I told my Br. to have the butcher remove all the icky poos from this chicken, I really don't want to deal with innards.. it reminds me anatomy and I refuse to eat something dissectable. but I digress..

I want the remedial intro pls..
starting with disinfecting the chicken to the trimmings to the temp to how long in there for..

I would also like to get rid of some stuff I have in the fridge, like zucchini and fennel and mushrooms and ginger etc etc....
:sl:

them "icky poos" ARE desirable. you brown them off in the oven and throw them in a pot of water with a mirepoix [carrots, celery & onions]; this will eventually be a lip-smackin' gravy, In Sha'a Allah!

disinfecting the chicken? are you cooking in the operating room? just rinse in cold water.

how and why are you buying a whole chicken? [my wife has been asking for one as well, but only cuz she has never eaten a whole chicken.] they best buy for chicken is usually the leg & thighs. drumsticks are cheaper, but have less meat and thigh-only packs use tiny thighs. the most expensice is usually the breasts. for leg & thigh or drumsticks, use the crushed rosemary recipe i posted before. breasts, while expensive give you alot more choices, sauteed, baked, i likes 'em in Al Fredo!

-break-oh and i had to eat breakfast after seeing the pic zAk posted-

i have never seen a BIG halal whole chicken. they usually look like capons on steroids. what size is the chicken? the bigger, the better for baking, too small, and i would boil/steam it and use the meat for a dish and the bones/carcass for a soup.

and free range veggie fed ARE better. also, some chicken marked halal is actually killed by machine with BismiAllah written on the blade. not sure iy you want to use that.

those cooking bags that burdenofbeing is talking about might be simple for you to use. if you have a larger hen, follow glo's recipe more closely.

if no-one wrote it, cook the chicken breast side up as you want to brown that part and it wouldn't hurt to sear that side in a pan of hot oil. a real big one you could start the other way, and then turn it over half way through.

i wouldn't season it with more than salt & pepper, rosemary and you COULD use some fennel.

IF you intend to make a gravy, which i'm just guessing you are not, but IF, throw some mirepoix in the pan around the chicken. when you take the chicken out [of the oven and out of the pan]; put some water [or stock if you have it] in the pan and "deglaze" it. strain that, move to clean pan and add a smidgen of roux [equal portions of butter and flour cooked 6 minutes and NOT browned, although for a dark gravy, browned is OK]. you COULD use just flour & water, but then be wary of the taste -cook it at least 6 minutes.

take your zucchini and cut in half the long way. then take those halves and cut them on a bias [diagonal], but pretty thin. almost the same thickness of those mushrooms you posted before and use some of those mushrooms cut the same way. heat in a little olive oil [IF you seared your chicken in oil, use some of THAT oil] use a wide saute pan and cook quickly. half way through add the mushrooms, just before it's done, add a ounce or two of Martinellis, toss and take off of the heat. add salt and pepper and a little bit of whole butter and toss again. [cooks in minutes, 5-7]

back to the chicken, the more nervous you are, use a lower temp. 375 will give you a nice color, but you'll have to watch more closely. if you sear/brown the hen first, you could go 300 to 325. it'll take a wee bit longer, but it gives you more room for error. [and the natives might get restless waiting].

جوري
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
:haha: brilliant I love how you guys help me.. al7mdlilah, I was searching on the web yesterday and I wasn't getting any good recipes.. try googling 'how to cook a whole chicken' see what comes up.. BTW I asked that they cut the chicken last time and the butcher gave me pieces I COULDN'T WORK WITH. he must have thought I was making them with rice or something but I boiled them and fried them and they fell apart, half of them went into the garbage (astghfor Allah)

anyhow let's see, this chicken is quite large actually, I don't know if it is swollen because they went to butcher then came the same day, I don't have a scale for thic chicken but it is big..
ok for the ingredients that I have

summer squash
mushrooms
some greens I am not quite sure of their names but it is written on them (parsley) and such, I also have potatoes, and my mom has quite a huge spice rack although all the stuff comes in small containers.
The chicken is outside waiting for me to take interest..
I am going to go through Br ZAK's recipes (is there is a nice substitute for curry?) It is kind of hot isn't it?

I thought you must disinfect chicken? with vinegar and salt and lemon and alot of washing?
Br yusuf the icky poos are gone gone gone (I hope) I don't want surprises inside that chicken...

Yanal
04-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I thought sisters learn from their mothers.

nebula
04-19-2009, 04:43 PM
mmmm all this chicken talk is making me hungry :thumbs_up

جوري
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
I thought sisters learn from their mothers.
well this sister didn't!!!!

جوري
04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I think the
Murgh Musallam

is the easiest to make of the others I have read, except it should marinate for four hrs or overnight, is there a way to marinate for just 1/2 an hr? it is already almost 1pm and I haven't started yet.. also can I add other ingredients with it like potatoes?

Cabdullahi
04-19-2009, 04:55 PM
sister dip the chicken in salty water for a coule of hours b4 marinating.....trust me......ive cooked chicken breasts this way and it gives it a better taste

Woodrow
04-19-2009, 05:17 PM
:haha: brilliant I love how you guys help me.. al7mdlilah, I was searching on the web yesterday and I wasn't getting any good recipes.. try googling 'how to cook a whole chicken' see what comes up.. BTW I asked that they cut the chicken last time and the butcher gave me pieces I COULDN'T WORK WITH. he must have thought I was making them with rice or something but I boiled them and fried them and they fell apart, half of them went into the garbage (astghfor Allah)

anyhow let's see, this chicken is quite large actually, I don't know if it is swollen because they went to butcher then came the same day, I don't have a scale for thic chicken but it is big..
ok for the ingredients that I have

summer squash
mushrooms
some greens I am not quite sure of their names but it is written on them (parsley) and such, I also have potatoes, and my mom has quite a huge spice rack although all the stuff comes in small containers.
The chicken is outside waiting for me to take interest..
I am going to go through Br ZAK's recipes (is there is a nice substitute for curry?) It is kind of hot isn't it?

I thought you must disinfect chicken? with vinegar and salt and lemon and alot of washing?
Br yusuf the icky poos are gone gone gone (I hope) I don't want surprises inside that chicken...

Looking at your ingrediants, try this:

turn on the oven at 375F to preheat

Rinse the chicken inside and out with cold running water.

While the chicken is doing it's best to dry prepare your roating pan. Simply oil it lightly with olive oil

Now oil the outside of the chicken by lightly rubbing olive oikle over the outside, you probabaly have enough on your hands from just oiling the pan.

Rub the inside with salt and pepper and any spice you like. I find fennel and ginger to go very well

Now prepare a simple veggie stuffing:

coarsely cut the mushrooms, squash and a few potatoes into chunks toss together in a large bowl with some salt pepper and small amount of ginger you can also add fennel, basil, oregano, and or sage. Add some chopped onion, celery tomatoes and garlic if available. (I usually add in some toasted pine nuts and or slivered toasted almonds)

this is going to be a very loose chunky stuffing, but tastey

Fill the chicken with this

Line the bottom of the pan with the left over chopped veggies, add a few additional sliced potatoes so you have a nice bed about 2 inches deep of veggies. Add just enough water to cover the veggies.

Set the chicken on it's back, on top of the veggie bed.

Put it in the oven, which should be hot by now.

Close the oven door, go read a book, watch TV or post here for the next hour.

After an hour check the chicken to see if it is done. If you can easily pull a leg free it is done. If not recheck every 15 minutes until it is done. when it is done raise the temp to 425F for 15 minutes. That should nicely brown the outside and make the skin crust.

OH if the veggies look dry at any point give them some more water. You want to have just enough water so they look damp, not like they are swimming. At the last stage it is ok for the top of the veggies to get dry and turn brown.

Yanal
04-19-2009, 05:39 PM
:O
You didn't. Oh well I don't know how to make even chai so who am I to say that.

idk
04-19-2009, 05:41 PM
cover chicken with tandoori mix mixed with yogurt, leave to marinade for about 2 hours anddd thenn putt in ovenn withh potatoes and sproutss. then put in the oven andddd ta daa youu gott a more than decent roast chickenn - withh an oriental touch - i dont like the salt and pepper english versun lol .

X

idk
04-19-2009, 05:42 PM
oh and to make sure its done poke a fork into each part and if the juice runs clear its done, if it comes as blood it needs more cookingg

Karina
04-19-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm vegetarian now, but when I was a fully-fledged carnivore I used to put a *whole lemon* pricked with a knife into the cavity of the chicken with loads of cloves of garlic and rosemary from my garden.

As the chicken cooks the lemon lets out all of its lemony steam and it infuses right into the flesh.....

The best lemony-garlicky fragranced chicken ever....mmmmm

:)

Oh and free range chicken not only tastes better but it means the bird's not been subjected to a dark life of miserable confinement!

Yanal
04-19-2009, 05:46 PM
if it comes as blood
That's it no more cooking,I didn't know blood was involved!

idk
04-19-2009, 05:50 PM
It isnt, if you eat a strictly vegetarian diet :) But if you want a nice t bone steak or roast chicken thenn yhh mann dont bee afraidd to gett yourr hands dirty lol

جوري
04-19-2009, 05:58 PM
cool.. al7mdlilah the chicken is now in the oven with as many ingredients as I could chop up and stuff in there...

Now pls someone teach me how to make pasta sauce from tomato paste?

Jazakoum Allah

Danah
04-19-2009, 05:59 PM
lol, this thread is really funny and interesting
I don't know that one chicken can make many people come up with such ideas and being in such noise lol...

Gossamer, I wish "really wish" to send you a roasted chicken as a PM <3
so you will not bother yourself honey with something you don't like to do

I think IT people have to work on such thing to make it happen :rollseyes

nebula
04-19-2009, 06:04 PM
this thread as inspired me to cook a whole chicken inshallah today, especially that tastey chicken picture that was posted!

جوري
04-19-2009, 06:07 PM
well now I have learned a skill for life insha'Allah :confused:
so anyone for how to make pasta sauce from the paste, but tasty sauce..
I am googling now will check here in 10 mins to see if you guys came up with something...

as a separate note: I don't know why some folks assume that if you are born female you have some innate abilities like caring for kids or cooking.. isn't everything learned? Thanks for teaching me several useful ways to cook chicken, probably my mom knows just two ways to make it in the oven and now I know several because I asked! :D

Zahida
04-19-2009, 06:24 PM
:sl: Nice one!!!! Pasta sauce........ok this is how i make it........Tinned tomatos, bit of chillie and salt fried in a little bit of olive oil.......add two/three spoonfulls of lemon........ shred some pre-cooked chicken cook in the sauce for two/three minutes .............add pasta (cooked ) and serve with a sprig of corriander ontop!!!!!! Works a treat everytime!!!!:bump1::w

جوري
04-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Brilliant Jazaki Allah khyran-- I did that plus added minced garlic and some olive oil....

let's see how they like it lol while I eat cereal =)

Woodrow
04-19-2009, 07:18 PM
well now I have learned a skill for life insha'Allah :confused:
so anyone for how to make pasta sauce from the paste, but tasty sauce..
I am googling now will check here in 10 mins to see if you guys came up with something...

as a separate note: I don't know why some folks assume that if you are born female you have some innate abilities like caring for kids or cooking.. isn't everything learned? Thanks for teaching me several useful ways to cook chicken, probably my mom knows just two ways to make it in the oven and now I know several because I asked! :D

Your Sister Aabidah is hollering at me to give you her pasta sauce recipe. You have to remember, she was married to an Italian for over 40 years.

She is going to write it out for me and either she or myself will paste it in here.

Yanal
04-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Im not a vegetarian....

جوري
04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Your Sister Aabidah is hollering at me to give you her pasta sauce recipe. You have to remember, she was married to an Italian for over 40 years.

She is going to write it out for me and either she or myself will paste it in here.

woohoo..
if people survive the night :skeleton: after having my chicken then I'll try the sauce insha'Aallah :D Thank sis for me..

my chicken was a bust :raging::raging: seemed kind of undone after three hrs of cooking, and didn't brown nicely and the 'summer squash' was weird, my dad kept asking me what that was?.. he said it seemed like something that should be included in desert ;D ;D

I was supposed to put it in soup but it lingered in the fridge long enough that I had to use it in something ..

this was a good learning experience hopefully I will get better at it, although I really can't be bothered, had to shower and bathe my niece in the midst since I dislike the way food lingers on the skin and clothes..

we need to have the jetson technology when it comes cooking :statisfie

Tony
04-19-2009, 09:17 PM
roasting bags are such a good invention, bird in bag, bag in oven, 20 mins a pound at 200 plus 20 extra. Deliscious

Zahida
04-19-2009, 09:22 PM
:sl: What a laugh brother TK........... To me that is pure laziness!!! Also does it taste the same after being in a bag??

My brother has this microwave thingy which was quite poular a while ago and the chicken roasts as it turns............ All the juice drops into the tray at the bottom and he only uses peri-peri sauce............. I am now in desperate need of some chicken...............:bump1::w:

Tony
04-19-2009, 09:28 PM
could be a lazy way, but have cooked for many people and am not bad at it, chicken in the bag is time saving and if you add spuds etc is really melt in the mouth. Try it, good if you have kids etc. But ultimately a lazy chicken method. Microwave chicken (chicken ding) never sounded very appealing tho. Once cooked a turkey for over 13 hrs in my pre Muslim days, came out like a rubber sparrow, totally ruined xmas dinner !!!!

Zahida
04-19-2009, 09:53 PM
:sl: Hmmmmm sounds good and i will try these bags especially if they save time!!!! And bro we have Turkey every year in December at my mums house MashaAllah my brother buys halal turkey and goes to mums house to cook it and we all go for dinner! Although Turkey is not as juicy as chicken, i find it dry...............anyway thankyou for the tip and happy cooking!!!!!!

If you have a pizza pan chicken legs/breast marinated can be cooked in that nicely!:bump1::w:
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
could be a lazy way, but have cooked for many people and am not bad at it, chicken in the bag is time saving and if you add spuds etc is really melt in the mouth. Try it, good if you have kids etc. But ultimately a lazy chicken method. Microwave chicken (chicken ding) never sounded very appealing tho. Once cooked a turkey for over 13 hrs in my pre Muslim days, came out like a rubber sparrow, totally ruined xmas dinner !!!!

Tony
04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Zahida;1127493]:sl: Hmmmmm sounds good and i will try these bags especially if they save time!!!! And bro we have Turkey every year in December at my mums house MashaAllah my brother buys halal turkey and goes to mums house to cook it and we all go for dinner! Although Turkey is not as juicy as chicken, i find it dry...............anyway thankyou for the tip and happy cooking!!!!!!

cook turkey upside down to keep moist

'Abd-al Latif
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Do not do as my first wife did the first time she cooked a chicken. Remember, it is not supposed to have feathers on it when you roast it.

nebula
04-19-2009, 10:23 PM
How to make tomato sauce indian/pakistani style,

Firstly cut onions and tomatos, 1 onion and 3 tomatos.

Put some oil into a frying pan or a daajki, let the oil heat then throw in a tea spoon full of mustard seeds, let them pop, and then add 2/4 tea spoon of Hing and 2/4 tea spoon of Zeera with that add the chopped onions. Once the onions are brown add the chopped tomatos, stir for about 3-5mins then add the final ingredients which are Salt 1 table spoon, Chilli powder 3/4 tablespoon and Haldi 2/4 table spoon, Mix Mix for another 2mins and DONE! TASTEY SAUCE just how i make it :thumbs_up

Oh yeah you can also add corriander to it

if you don't have chilli powder you can use chilli sauce or cut some chillis and throw them in.

This recipe is very simple and it tastes amazing, my mum learnt it from my next door neighbours which were indians and then see passed down the recipe to me :D as im always home alone and i need to know how to cook.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-19-2009, 10:29 PM

Ingredients
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
¼-½ tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 large handful basil leaves, torn into small pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper
grated parmesan cheese, to serve

Method
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion and garlic until softened. Stir in the tomatoes, chilli flakes, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook slowly for 45 minutes-1 hour. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper. This can be left chunky or blended in a food processor for a smooth sauce.
2. Serve spooned over cooked pasta with plenty of parmesan cheese.

Yummy yummy! :D

جوري
04-19-2009, 10:32 PM
amazing Masha'Allah..

I think now that I know how to cook salmon wellington and chicken the next thing is leg of lamb.. can someone teach me how to cook a leg of lamb pls, the tangy ones with yogurt and mint..

Jazakoum Allah khyran

FatimaAsSideqah
04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
With bones or boneless?

FatimaAsSideqah
04-19-2009, 10:44 PM
For leg of lamb.

Oven temp 325F (160C gas 3)

If you have a meat thermometer the inside should reach the temps listed below.

140F rare....... 25-30 mins per pound

160F medium.. 30-35 mins per pound

170F well....... 35-40 mins per pound

جوري
04-19-2009, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah
With bones or boneless?
oh I don't know.. our Lebanese neighbor made it once it was amazing ... come to think of it maybe it was grilled.. I don't know :confused:..
let's see I remember something about yogurt and mint in it, and I think it was the whole leg but cut in such thin slices that it had no bones in them.. there was also a cucumber salad.. mmm

Anyhow I think I am good to go now with the few skills I acquired this month from soups to meats to rice, I may never go back to living on sandwitches and baked potatoes again :haha:

Jazakoum Allah khyran

FatimaAsSideqah
04-19-2009, 11:00 PM
I just found the website that you have asked about.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/sr/30098...-sauce/recipe/

I think you will love to learning how to cook the meats because it is fun! :statisfie

Forget about baked potatoes and sandwiches, go enjoying yourself to cook load load of delicious foods!!:D

Cabdullahi
04-19-2009, 11:12 PM
this thread is awesome im going to be talking notes inshallah.....because i will be cooking when i go on holiday unfortunately

جوري
04-19-2009, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah
I just found the website that you have asked about.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/sr/30098...-sauce/recipe/

I think you will love to learning how to cook the meats because it is fun! :statisfie

Forget about baked potatoes and sandwiches, go enjoying yourself to cook load load of delicious foods!!:D

oh yeah that is it alright.. how did you ever find it masha'Allah

I totally hate cooking, but I do love being self-sufficient, I have learned a few things today, I am grateful....

Thank you all for helping me, I'll post on this thread from now on about this, maybe someone can merge the thread where I asked about cooking shrimp lo mein with this one insha'Allah so it will be cooking made simple for those of us who don't know how :-[

burdenofbeing
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I just made one for myself and took some photos, which I'll post here eventually.
Delicious as always.

جوري
04-21-2009, 02:10 AM
photos pls of the before not after :D

Woodrow
04-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Aabidah has been busy all day and has not gotten around with writing her pasta sauce recipe. so you get stuck with mine. It does taste similar to hers, I just make a bigger mess making it.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef or ground turkey

1 cup very fine bread or cracker crumbs

Assorted spices including but not limited to:
salt
black pepper
Red pepper flakes (Pizza Pepper)
oregano
basil
thyme
fennel
anise seed
coriander
celery seed

Coarse chopped veggies, pieces should be about the size of a small button mushroom:

Roma tomatoes
onions
bellpepper
mushrooms
celery
more muchrooms
fresh chopped garlic maybe even a few whole cloves also

Fresh shredded cheese preferably a mixture of mozzerella, romano, Parmesan

2 cans tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato juice
1/2 cup white vineger
1/4 cup fresh red grape juice, or fresh made from concentrate, although in a pinch the bottled welch's will work
juice of 1/2 half lemon
sprig of tarrogan

Utensials
jar or bottle
small mixing bowl
large mixing bowl
large frying (saute0 pan
large sauce pan (at least 3 quart

Olive oil

Step one

throw the vinegar, grape juice lemon juice and tarragon sprig in the jar or bottle, put it in the refrigerator.

Step 2 mix equal amounts of all the spices in the small mixing bowl, set aside, but in reach, you will be reaching into it often

Step 4

put the bread or cracker crumbs in the large mixing bowl, mix in a handful of the spices add the ground beef or turkey, if using turkey add a spoon of olive oil. At least a teaspoon, but no more then a tablespoon
Mix well ad a small amount of tomato juice and a handful of the shredded cheese. Mix again. Shape into small meatball, no bigger then a golf ball but at least the size of a large marble.

Step 5

heat up about 1/4 inch of olive oil in the large sauce pan. Add in the meat ball and try to keep them as just one layer on the bottom of the pan. when they start to brown turn the heat way down and cover.

Step 6

add a small amount of olive oil in the saute pan. When hot throw in all of the veggies except the onions, tomatoes and mushrooms.

Saute until the celery is soft. Add the onions saute just until the onions become translucent reduce the heat add the tomatoes, cover and cook until the tomatoes get a little mushy. Add a good size handfull of the spice mixture, mix and pour in the big sauce pan that you were cooking the meatballs in.

add the vinegar mixture from the fridge, add the tomato sauce and paste add enough tomato juice to cover the veggies, add enough water to cover them if you run out of juice. throw the mushrooms on top.

cover and cook gently until it comes to a boil, stirring occasionaly, taste and throw in more of the spices if needed

It is done, serve over your favorite pasta.

جوري
04-21-2009, 02:50 AM
haha I love the mushrooms and more mushrooms akhi

now that is what I am talking about the idiot's guide from what you need to how to use it.. if only I had paid attention during my undergrad chem classes, I'd not have had the class evacuated and under the hall showers every day for using the wrong size beakers ;D

Baraka Allah feek, I plan to employ this..

Zahida
04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
:sl: Here is something i made today for all of you that like tuna!!!!!!!!!

You will need potatoes, tin of tuna and some grated cheese........... and puff pastry........................

Peel slice and cook the potatoes, I like them quite mushy.......... cool and add the tuna, add cumin seeds, ground corriander salt and red crushed chillies........you can also add finely chopped fresh corriander - gives it some colour............

Roll out the puff pastry and make parcels add spoonfulls of the mixture, and add some grated cheese.When you secure the parcels use a beaten egg also brush the top of the parcel lightly with the egg mixture...........

Cook until golden brown and the puff pastries are ready to eat!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a usual pakistani type dish but the kids are always looking for something different to much on!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!:w::bump1:

FatimaAsSideqah
04-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Oven-baked Thai chicken rice

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion , chopped
400g chicken fillets (sliced)
4 tbsp Thai green curry paste
250g basmati and wild rice mix, rinsed
2 red peppers , deseeded and cut into wedges
finely grated zest and juice 1 lime
400g reduced-fat coconut milk
handful coriander leaves, to serve

1.Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat the oil in a shallow ovenproof casserole dish, then soften the onion for 5 mins. Add the chicken and curry paste, then cook for 3 mins, stirring to coat.

2.Tip in the rice and peppers, then stir in the lime zest and juice, coconut milk and 250ml boiling water. Bring to the boil, then pop the lid on and bake for 20 mins until the rice is fluffy. Scatter with coriander before serving.

Voila! Thats was good balanced nutritious! :D

جوري
04-25-2009, 02:41 AM
what is tandoori mix?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.