/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Buddhist Monks praying with Muslims Pics

north_malaysian
04-20-2009, 04:06 AM
I took these pics from a website, it's not confirmed but it's said that these pics are taken from a mosque in southern Thailand..

http://www.kpmu.net/2009/04/pas-untuk-semua/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GreyKode
04-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Mashallah, I hope they have accepted Islam.

north_malaysian
04-20-2009, 04:19 AM
I dont know about Buddhist monks.. but from what I've heard that every year hundreds of ethnic Thais and Chinese converted to Islam in Bangkok only... Muslims in Bangkok are very tolerated by the Buddhists majority because they speak Thai...

GreyKode
04-20-2009, 04:22 AM
I've always respected buddhists, their attitude seems very close to muslims. Dont ya think?
Plus they got some cool martial arts.:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
أبو سليمان عمر
04-20-2009, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
I've always respected buddhists, their attitude seems very close to muslims. Dont ya think?
Plus they got some cool martial arts.:D
hmm i dont know tell me pls how are the close to muslims?

أبو سليمان عمر
04-20-2009, 04:27 AM
May ALLAH guide them from the false to the truth Ameen

GreyKode
04-20-2009, 04:29 AM
I meant their simplicity in living. "AL zuhd". Thats all.

north_malaysian
04-20-2009, 04:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umar^111
hmm i dont know tell me pls how are the close to muslims?
The Buddhists have good relationship with Muslims in Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Malaysia..

أبو سليمان عمر
04-20-2009, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
The Buddhists have good relationship with Muslims in Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Malaysia..
ah ok i misunderstood i thought he meant deen wise :) ok Jazak Allahu Khayr for clarifying

north_malaysian
04-20-2009, 04:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
I meant their simplicity in living. "AL zuhd". Thats all.
the monks are soooo zuhood...

they always smile at you (regardless of your religious group), they walk barefoot and slowly... never raise their voices... I think the non-Buddhists are very comfortable with Buddhist monks... maybe because they dont go from house to house preaching Buddhism... they dont preach Buddhism on the streets too...

Dawud_uk
04-20-2009, 04:57 AM
in sheffield we used to have a christian vicar who prayed with us in salaah,

he was also homosexual, had a pink styled hair, vegan and to be honest needed a little help as was very confused.

he accepted the Quran was true but wanted us to do the same with the bible which of-course we couldnt do but i could never figure out whether he was genuine or just a very cunning missionary.

greenshirt
04-20-2009, 05:06 AM
buddhists are decent people. they arent quick to judge and they are so caring. they really have a good brotherhood.. not as good as islam though, of course. *smile*

ardianto
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
the monks are soooo zuhood...

they always smile at you (regardless of your religious group), they walk barefoot and slowly... never raise their voices... I think the non-Buddhists are very comfortable with Buddhist monks................. maybe because they dont go from house to house preaching Buddhism... they dont preach Buddhism on the streets too................
I know what is in your mind. That is happen in Indonesia too.

About Buddhist, I agree, non-Buddhist are very comfortable with Buddhist monks. And as Indonesian Muslim, I very comfortable with Indonesian Buddhist people, they are not trouble makers in harmony of religious life.
Sometime I visit Indonesian Buddhist webforum. I saw they always avoid talk something bad about other religion. But I found many complain in Indonesian Buddhist people, another people always annoys and disturbs them. And that another people are not Muslims.

north_malaysian
04-21-2009, 01:14 AM
I never heard of Buddhists complaining in Malaysia... for them as long as they can follow their religious belief... it's ok... and they never interrupt in other people's religious belief..

Woodrow
04-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Buddhism in it's truest form is not a religion nor a form of worship. It is a way of life. And a simple means of trying to live in harmony with the universe. I personaly believe most Buddhist have no actual belief in a God(swt), but many do seem to be seekers on the path to find Allaah(swt)

Buddhism does have 5 basic beliefs which are:

The Five Precepts are the basis of Buddhist morality. The first precept is to avoid killing or harming living beings. The second is to avoid stealing, the third is to avoid sexual misconduct, the fourth is to avoid lying and the fifth is to avoid alcohol and other intoxicating drugs.

Everything else about Buddhism are guides on how to follow those precepts

Yanal
04-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Buddhists are in Sri Lanka? Next thing you know there Muslims in England:D

Zafran
04-21-2009, 01:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Buddhism in it's truest form is not a religion nor a form of worship. It is a way of life. And a simple means of trying to live in harmony with the universe. I personaly believe most Buddhist have no actual belief in a God(swt), but many do seem to be seekers on the path to find Allaah(swt)

Buddhism does have 5 basic beliefs which are:

The Five Precepts are the basis of Buddhist morality. The first precept is to avoid killing or harming living beings. The second is to avoid stealing, the third is to avoid sexual misconduct, the fourth is to avoid lying and the fifth is to avoid alcohol and other intoxicating drugs.

Everything else about Buddhism are guides on how to follow those precepts
Salaam

Very similar to the 5 points sharia is here to protect - deen,life,property,honour,intellect.

peace.

Woodrow
04-21-2009, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

Very similar to the 5 points sharia is here to protect - deen,life,property,honour,intellect.

peace.
True.

I find Buddhism to be so much in favor of our Islamic beliefs I can not understand why they never take that last step and say the Shahadah.

convert
04-21-2009, 02:10 AM
:w:

I have heard otherwise from a scholar originally from that area (he is of the Cham people).

Your link does not work above as well, akhi.

north_malaysian
04-21-2009, 06:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
:w:

I have heard otherwise from a scholar originally from that area (he is of the Cham people).

Your link does not work above as well, akhi.
yeah... the link is not working now...

Malaysians have special connection with the Chams of Cambodia and Vietnam.... during Khmer Rouge, half of Muslim population were killed... many of them ran away to Malaysian shores... the Cham Muslims are kinda well tolerated now in Cambodia...

north_malaysian
04-21-2009, 06:34 AM
True.

I find Buddhism to be so much in favor of our Islamic beliefs I can not understand why they never take that last step and say the Shahadah.
Easy... they dont interfere with other religious group practices.. thus, the Muslims dont interfere with them with their religious practices too... so they dont know islam

north_malaysian
04-21-2009, 06:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Buddhists are in Sri Lanka? Next thing you know there Muslims in England:D
majority of the people in Sri Lanka are Buddhists..

Dawud_uk
04-21-2009, 07:32 AM
True.

most of northern india (modern day pakistan) as well as afghanistan was buddhist before the muslims came, their beliefs can be shown to be falsehood and defeated in discussion and debate same as every other way of life.

north_malaysian
04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
most of northern india (modern day pakistan) as well as afghanistan was buddhist before the muslims came, their beliefs can be shown to be falsehood and defeated in discussion and debate same as every other way of life.
most of Muslims in southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand) were Buddhists too centuries ago (before 14th Century CE)... which includes my ancestors too..:D

ardianto
04-21-2009, 02:42 PM
most of Muslims in southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand) were Buddhists too centuries ago (before 14th Century CE)... which includes my ancestors too..:D
In Indonesia were Buddhists and Hindus. Altough the biggest Buddhist temple (Borobudur) is located in Java, Hindus were majority in Java and Bali.

north_malaysian
04-22-2009, 01:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
In Indonesia were Buddhists and Hindus. Altough the biggest Buddhist temple (Borobudur) is located in Java, Hindus were majority in Java and Bali.
I think the Sumatrans (as well as those in Malaysia) were Buddhists because the official religion of Srivijaya Empire was Buddhism... the Javanese and Balinese were under Majapahit Empire which Hinduism is the official religion right?

AntiKarateKid
04-22-2009, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
I couldn't agree more brother.

I find this image slightly offputting.

It just doesn't seem right that a person with no intention of submitting to Islam, pray with Muslims, as if it lessens our opposition to their religion in any way shape or form. :hmm:

Woodrow
04-22-2009, 02:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
I couldn't agree more brother.

I find this image slightly offputting.

It just doesn't seem right that a person with no intention of submitting to Islam, pray with Muslims, as if it lessens our opposition to their religion in any way shape or form. :hmm:
I find it difficult to see Buddhism as a religion. there is no established worship of any deity in Buddhism. Buddhism is all centered upon the self and the securing of peace of mind through inner thoughts and living a life free from desire. Buddhists do not pray in our concept of the meaning of prayer, they engage in self meditation and contemplation.

I do find it interesting that some Buddhists would have a desire to pray with Muslims. It means that they have come to a conclusion that there is a God. It also seems many Buddhists eventually accept Islam, once they come to believe in the existence of a God and that the only true God is Allaah(swt)

It seems that if a Buddhist is in a Masjid to pray, it means they are seeking the existence of Allaah(swt) and do want to find reason to worship.

AntiKarateKid
04-22-2009, 02:50 AM
I find it difficult to see Buddhism as a religion. there is no established worship of any deity in Buddhism. Buddhism is all centered upon the self and the securing of peace of mind through inner thoughts and living a life free from desire. Buddhists do not pray in our concept of the meaning of prayer, they engage in self meditation and contemplation.

I do find it interesting that some Buddhists would have a desire to pray with Muslims. It means that they have come to a conclusion that there is a God. It also seems many Buddhists eventually accept Islam, once they come to believe in the existence of a God and that the only true God is Allaah(swt)

It seems that if a Buddhist is in a Masjid to pray, it means they are seeking the existence of Allaah(swt) and do want to find reason to worship.
I take back my comment. I agree with you.

Yanal
04-22-2009, 02:51 AM
If they accepted Islam why are they wearing those Buddhist religious robes.

Woodrow
04-22-2009, 02:58 AM
If they accepted Islam why are they wearing those Buddhist religious robes.
Because they are still seekers, and have not yet accepted Islam.

Yanal
04-22-2009, 03:01 AM
Just like brother AoP,they are trying to understand the concept of Islam and the Quran .

ardianto
04-22-2009, 05:51 AM
I think the Sumatrans (as well as those in Malaysia) were Buddhists because the official religion of Srivijaya Empire was Buddhism... the Javanese and Balinese were under Majapahit Empire which Hinduism is the official religion right?
You right, Sumatrans were Buddhist but they were not ancestors of present Indonesian Buddhist. Buddhism in Nusantara (old Indonesia) was over when Islam came. Present Indonesian Buddhist are Chineses who came as emigrant.
How about Malaysian Buddhists ? are they Chineses or Thais and Cambodian or Malays ?

north_malaysian
04-23-2009, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
You right, Sumatrans were Buddhist but they were not ancestors of present Indonesian Buddhist. Buddhism in Nusantara (old Indonesia) was over when Islam came. Present Indonesian Buddhist are Chineses who came as emigrant.
How about Malaysian Buddhists ? are they Chineses or Thais and Cambodian or Malays ?
There are four main sects of Buddhism here...

1) Mahayana - most of Buddhists in Malaysia are Mahayanists, a great majority of them are Chinese, some are Vietnamese, Koreans and Japanese. Mahayana Buddhism was introduced by Chinese immigrants...

2) Theravada - it's the oldest sect in Malaysia, many of the Malays' ancestors were Theravadists... I dont know about other part of Malaysia.. but the northern malaysian malays were actually Thais, when they embraced Islam massively in the 15th century... the remaining Buddhists are still continue living as ethnic Thais until today. During British colonial time, many Theravadists migrated from Sri Lanka (ethnic Sinhalese), India, Myanmar (ethnic Burmese) and Thailand. Recently there are thousands of Theravadist immigrants from Cambodia and Laos too. Majority of the Theravadist are Thais, with a high % from Sinhalese and Burmese too...

3) Tantrayana (Tibetan) Buddhism - very new to Malaysia, most of the Tantrayanists are recent converts from ethnic Chinese.

4) Soka Gakkai Buddhism - a new Buddhism sect from Japan... many of the converts here are ethnic Chinese... with some Japanese.

The only Malay (well she's a half Malay, half Chinese) that I've heard of was Nyonya Binti Tahir who was a Buddhist after the Shariah Court declared her as a Buddhist as she was adopted by a Buddhist family and never practice Islam.

Yanal
04-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Which one of those do you think these people are? I think it's hard to decide with photos.

north_malaysian
04-23-2009, 03:55 AM
Which one of those do you think these people are? I think it's hard to decide with photos.
those two with saffron robes

Yanal
04-23-2009, 03:57 AM
Is that the answer or question?

north_malaysian
04-23-2009, 04:00 AM
Is that the answer or question?
answer?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.