/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Religion vs New Age

Hafswa
04-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Peace/Salaam,
Bearing in mind the different religions represented on this forum, I would like to know the different perceptions we each have on the new age movement that is steadily taking precedence on so many peoples lives especially in America where people with strong influences such as Oprah have takena stand on it.

What really is the new Age movement?

Is it new or it's just a revised version of something that already existed?

Any concepts in it that are borrowed from th different religions that we have?

All other questions are welcome.....

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AntiKarateKid
04-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Whatever it is, if people aren't following religion, and are making up their own rules, it can only end up badly as it did in ages past.

Hafswa
04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
They seem to have forgotten what happened then and have revised it to suit today.
What about the spiritual aspect of the new age......Is this an attempt(rule) to cancel out the sovreighnity of God?

ahmed_indian
04-20-2009, 01:14 PM
we have to follow only God's way....as Islam is the only guidance frm God, we have to follow it.

we may dislike it but its the only way to attain our Creator's pleasure and enjoy in His jannah forever and ever.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hafswa
04-20-2009, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed_indian
we have to follow only God's way....as Islam is the only guidance frm God, we have to follow it.

we may dislike it but its the only way to attain our Creator's pleasure and enjoy in His jannah forever and ever.
Does this mean that in your opnion the new age movement is an attempt to do what best suits us and not be accountable to a higher power?

AntiKarateKid
04-20-2009, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafswa
Does this mean that in your opnion the new age movement is an attempt to do what best suits us and not be accountable to a higher power?
It seems like an evolution of atheism. First people try living without being religious. But when they realize the benefits of spirituality, they distort religion into this new age stuff.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
The new age movment is the revision of the old/wise ways. It includes Wicca, shamaniam, paganism. animism, and a mixture of the "best bits" from all faiths.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
It seems like an evolution of atheism. First people try living without being religious. But when they realize the benefits of spirituality, they distort religion into this new age stuff.
New Age has nothing to with atheism, in most cases.

cali dude
04-20-2009, 05:10 PM
With time, people are learning on their own. They are learning from their own experience what's really morally right.

Religion creates bias and only works for the people following it.

Here is a good example. All those people enjoying equality in the western countries would have not enjoyed it in the religious countries. People have learned that this is the only way it makes sense. If you were in countries controlled by religions, the preference would be given to the people of the main religion in the country.

So, in this respect, new age is not bad except that some people use freedom to harm themselves. Some examples are drugs and undisciplined personal life...

I am pretty sure by now everybody knows that God is unapproachable. So, whether religions preach that you could be connected to God while living this life or after this life, we all know by now that it is very uncertain...

Amadeus85
04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Neew Age is something that jews, christians and muslims should avoid definitely.

AntiKarateKid
04-20-2009, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cali dude
With time, people are learning on their own. They are learning from their own experience what's really morally right.

Religion creates bias and only works for the people following it.

Here is a good example. All those people enjoying equality in the western countries would have not enjoyed it in the religious countries. People have learned that this is the only way it makes sense. If you were in countries controlled by religions, the preference would be given to the people of the main religion in the country.

So, in this respect, new age is not bad except that some people use freedom to harm themselves. Some examples are drugs and undisciplined personal life...

I am pretty sure by now everybody knows that God is unapproachable. So, whether religions preach that you could be connected to God while living this life or after this life, we all know by now that it is very uncertain...
What a load of rubbish mixed in with someone's personal distaste for religion, with a large sprinkling of ignorance.

You're post was amusing to read for its complete absurdity.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-20-2009, 11:38 PM
What a load of rubbish mixed in with someone's personal distaste for religion, with a large sprinkling of ignorance.

:thumbs_do Maybe you should point out how other wise you post falls in the same group.

AntiKarateKid
04-21-2009, 12:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
:thumbs_do Maybe you should point out how other wise you post falls in the same group.
A post which spawned of the guy's own bitterness at his lost religiosity and which so spectacularly misses the point of organized religion, pretends as if nothing good has ever come out of it, and relies on historical revisionism is hardly worth more than a chuckle and dismissive wave.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-21-2009, 01:05 AM
A post which spawned of the guy's own bitterness at his lost religiosity and which so spectacularly misses the point of organized religion, pretends as if nothing good has ever come out of it, and relies on historical revisionism is hardly worth more than a chuckle and dismissive wave.
So in other words you disagree and thats that?

EDIT:
ohh and he summed up the new age thing pretty well.

Woodrow
04-21-2009, 01:21 AM
to be honest I am at a loss. this is the first I heard of it. But, from the little I gather from this thread, I see it no different from many failed movements that occurred in the past.

Neither new nor religion. Just the age old searching in the wrong places for trying to find purpose in our existence.

Yanal
04-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Very true,brother Woodrow sometimes we find ourselves getting suspicious over why we are in this world etc....

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-21-2009, 01:50 AM
New age is so hard to describe.

Hafswa
04-21-2009, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
to be honest I am at a loss. this is the first I heard of it. But, from the little I gather from this thread, I see it no different from many failed movements that occurred in the past.

Neither new nor religion. Just the age old searching in the wrong places for trying to find purpose in our existence.
Very true. It already failed once and will always be just that. All human beings were created with the sense of a higher power and their sole purpose on earth is to live a life worth of God's acceptance.

How this notion has been mixed up to demonstrate that in some way you are a god and that you have the power to steer and determine everything in your life is beyond me.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Very true. It already failed once and will always be just that. All human beings were created with the sense of a higher power and their sole purpose on earth is to live a life worth of God's acceptance.

How this notion has been mixed up to demonstrate that in some way you are a god and that you have the power to steer and determine everything in your life is beyond me.
Self fulfilling destiny
Where your attention goes the energy flows
the secret

Hafswa
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
Self fulfilling destiny
Where your attention goes the energy flows
the secret
Funny you mentioned the Secret....I almost got caught up with the entire craze. It took alot of comparison and question asking for it to finally click.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Funny you mentioned the Secret....I almost got caught up with the entire craze. It took alot of comparison and question asking for it to finally click.
The secret seems to work on a psychological level. It involves, "where your attention goes the energy flows," and, "the self fulfilling destiny," by the alteration of your thought process and you expectations the appearance of having influences over causes and events seem to develop.

cali dude
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM

What part of my post did you disagree with?

Isn't it true that With time, people are learning on their own. They are learning from their own experience what's really morally right?

Isn't it true that Religion creates bias and only works for the people following it?

Isn't it true that All those people enjoying equality in the western countries would have not enjoyed it in the religious countries?

Isn't it true that People have learned that this is the only way it makes sense?

Isn't it true that If you were in countries controlled by religions, the preference would be given to the people of the main religion in the country?

Isn't it true that in this respect, new age is not bad except that some people use freedom to harm themselves?

Isn't it true that God is unapproachable?

Isn't it true that whether religions preach that you could be connected to God while living this life or after this life, we all know by now that it is very uncertain?

Dawud_uk
04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
:sl:

i think it is partially a reaction to people rejecting the strictness of established faiths and instead wanting to feel good about themselves and not feel they offending a creator or doing anything wrong,

sort of a slighter more thought out development on the western idea of 'im sort of not too bad a person, surely God wont punish me for my sins?'

so new age crap is what you get when established religions get weak, people have an inbuilt reverence instinct (fitrah) so if the established religions are not doing their job properly then people will cling to anything.

but it is a false way, so easily destroyed it takes a matter of moments of discussion i find from the dawah stall, its a very weak system of beliefs tied together, many contradictory and easily swept away.

:sl:

AntiKarateKid
04-21-2009, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cali dude

Isn't it true that With time, people are learning on their own. They are learning from their own experience what's really morally right?

Yea? I haven't seen any real "atheist" replacement for religion. It's the year 2000 and you guys still can't agree on what is moral. Neither has there ver been an atheist who has ever reached the moral caliber of the Prophets and the greatest generation of Muslims who were the most pious, charitable, and righteous people in history. Seems to me, they got it right.

Isn't it true that Religion creates bias and only works for the people following it?

When you hold that something you believe is true, it necessarily means people who don't believe it are wrong. Islam is here to separate right from wrong. Am I biased against people who I believe to be doing wrong? Umm DUH. Do I hope that they will turn away from evil? Yes. It brings together the good people and separates the evil, who are given many chances to join the good. Islam has a purpose, and it isn't letting you follow your whims, but rather the truth.

Isn't it true that All those people enjoying equality in the western countries would have not enjoyed it in the religious countries?

Ah the age old misconception. There is currently no truly "Muslim" state which implements the full spectrum of Shariah laws, the "Muslim" states today have been lambasted today for their LACK of adherence to sharia and their assault on human rights. Last time I checked too, Islam doesn't curtail equality and banished things like discrimination against Blacks 1400 years ago. We had it right first.

Isn't it true that People have learned that this is the only way it makes sense?

Seeing as how newage isn't even a unified movement or even as popular as you think, No.

Isn't it true that If you were in countries controlled by religions, the preference would be given to the people of the main religion in the country?

Provide your proof against the Islamic state because it seems like you're just speaking your opinion and appealing to emotion without any facts whatsoever. Actually, take it to the threads about the state, I'm not too knowledgeable about it.

Isn't it true that in this respect, new age is not bad except that some people use freedom to harm themselves?

And how did you arrive at that?

Your view. Allah has given us many ways. You should check them out.

Isn't it true that whether religions preach that you could be connected to God while living this life or after this life, we all know by now that it is very
uncertain?

And finally no. That was a waste of my time. To be blunt, It seems that you are completely ignorant about Islam and think that just because YOUR faith has been broken, there must be something wrong with ALL faiths amongst all people. I'm sorry to tell you, the world doesn't revolve around you. Just because you turned your back on God doesn't mean he isn't there in the first place
See above.

cali dude
04-22-2009, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by cali dude View Post

Yea? I haven't seen any real "atheist" replacement for religion. It's the year 2000 and you guys still can't agree on what is moral. Neither has there ver been an atheist who has ever reached the moral caliber of the Prophets and the greatest generation of Muslims who were the most pious, charitable, and righteous people in history. Seems to me, they got it right.

There is no replacement for religion because religion is not entirely bad. Mostly religion is good except some aspect. For example, the latest law in Afghanistan was just implemented where a wife could be legally raped. Now, I am pretty sure, it has nothing to do with Islam, but the fact is that the people who believe it's OK happened to be Muslim. I have no clue how they came up with it. But somehow these people believe it's OK. Now some people might say that followers of the religions misinterpret it and that might very well be true. But could there be a system in religion that could never be misinterpreted? Now today, majority of the people know that rape is bad. It really wouldn't matter whether it came from a religion or not...

When you hold that something you believe is true, it necessarily means people who don't believe it are wrong. Islam is here to separate right from wrong. Am I biased against people who I believe to be doing wrong? Umm DUH. Do I hope that they will turn away from evil? Yes. It brings together the good people and separates the evil, who are given many chances to join the good. Islam has a purpose, and it isn't letting you follow your whims, but rather the truth.

Well you have further confirmed my statement that religion does create bias. I can assure you one thing nobody knows the ultimate truth for sure. Beliefs are usually just beliefs, not facts.

Ah the age old misconception. There is currently no truly "Muslim" state which implements the full spectrum of Shariah laws, the "Muslim" states today have been lambasted today for their LACK of adherence to sharia and their assault on human rights. Last time I checked too, Islam doesn't curtail equality and banished things like discrimination against Blacks 1400 years ago. We had it right first.

Well you may be right that there no real Muslim country. But you said in your previous answer:
Yes. It brings together the good people and separates the evil, who are given many chances to join the good. Islam has a purpose, and it isn't letting you follow your whims, but rather the truth.
There may not be discrimination based on color and creed, discrimination exists in all religions against the people of other religions, people who don't follow any religion and among Sikhs, discrimination exists even if you claim to be a Sikh and don't have uncut hair and wear turban. So, regardless what religion preaches about equality of all man-kind, religious people find way to discriminate against people not belonging to that religion and among Sikhs people not following their tenth guru's order of keeping hair uncut and wearing turban.

Seeing as how newage isn't even a unified movement or even as popular as you think, No.

You are right New Age isn't even a unified movement and that might be good thing as we know from the existence of religions, unified movements often result in bias.

Provide your proof against the Islamic state because it seems like you're just speaking your opinion and appealing to emotion without any facts whatsoever. Actually, take it to the threads about the state, I'm not too knowledgeable about it.

Well I don't how the law is implemented in most Muslim countries and you are saying is no real Muslim country anyways. But I have heard that from non-Muslim people who worked in Muslim countries that non-Muslims are usually treated as second-class citizen, although one guy said that Malaysia was pretty good for non-Muslims . But let me ask you something. Are there any schools and colleges in Muslim countries where only Muslims could enter or Muslim students have quota?

And how did you arrive at that?

Well in new age, there is more equality of all mankind regardless of what religion they belong to.

Your view. Allah has given us many ways. You should check them out.
Not only I believe this, there are some founders of some other religions who said the same. But has anybody experience a two-way communication with The Lord? Two-way communication with The Lord means you say it and He hears and vice versa.

Isn't it true that whether religions preach that you could be connected to God while living this life or after this life, we all know by now that it is very
uncertain?

And finally no. That was a waste of my time. To be blunt, It seems that you are completely ignorant about Islam and think that just because YOUR faith has been broken, there must be something wrong with ALL faiths amongst all people. I'm sorry to tell you, the world doesn't revolve around you. Just because you turned your back on God doesn't mean he isn't there in the first place

How do we know it is certain?

See above.
Please see my response in blue

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.