/* */

PDA

View Full Version : For those graduating in '09...

Musaafirah
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
I know many of us have exams coming up and everything, but I thought I'd make this thread to see the general trend of what people are aiming to do after completing their degree..
So, is there anyone here who's applied to study for a Masters? A PhD? Even a further degree?
What about a job? Has anyone secured a job or some sort of graduate placement at all?
It's just that I feel I've reached a point where I'm not sure I want to stick with what I'm doing. Heck, I know I've got to pass my exams and everything, but what next?
What are your thoughts on doing a PGCE? What is it like teaching at secondary level? (Not really interested in the primary kids, sorry!)
Advice from those who have already completed their degree would be appreciated. :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
:sl:
Heavily considering a Masters in Islamic finance (will be applying very soon inshallah). Mainly because of economic conditions making it difficult to find a decent job (this year is really bad to graduate in - that is what one of my tutors told me!) and also it will help me narrow the job list down: having a degree in business and marketing is all well and good but it only really opens to doors to marketing (which contains even more doors!) - I believe taking a masters will help me narrow the choice down to something specific. Plus, employers are looking for something that stands out on your cv (so a masters wold be beneficial in this regard) and given all that I know about the credit crunch, a masters in Islamic finance would be pretty usefull to any bank right now!

The real beauty of this course is:
* I'm a muslim.
* I'm interested in finance.
* I'm interested in money.

Ka-freakin-ching!

Intisar
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
:w: Just wondering, is taking the GRE necessary in the UK for graduate school? :?

Güven
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
It's almost impossible to find a job these days!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sahabiyaat
04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Ive applied for my pgce (sec) and have had a conditional offer :)
I was going to do my Masters,but i think ill delay it just yet.
i graduate on 14 july, 10:30! :D InshaAllah!

ayan333
04-20-2009, 11:06 PM

MashALLAH,your talking about PhD ect lol,im only graduating from high school may 21 InshALLAH,if that counts.

im taking a few college classes while iin high school n they are sooo stressing,i hope the classes i take in college wnt be as fraustrating n boring InshALLAH,cant wait

:w:

Mysterious Uk
04-21-2009, 10:21 AM
I am thinking of doing a PGCE when my degree is finished, but i prefer working with primary schools kids. I was a teaching assistant for 5 weeks in a primary school and loved it. My friend works in a secondary school and she said it is better than primary school because the kids are less clingy and you see different children all the time. As well as the free periods too.

If you are thinking of doing a pgce a couple of students who are doing it told me:
- you go to three different schools
- you cannot choose which years you want to teach
- you teach for one term
- whilst you teach, you are observed at least once a week
- paid £500 a month
- assessed on a pass or fail system and if you don't do well you can do another year

Hope that was of some help.

Yanal
04-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Graduating from what college,secondary school?Uni?

Woodrow
04-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Congratulations are in order for all '09 graduates, be it kindergarten, Grade school. Junior high, Senior high, College, Business school, trade school, university, Graduate studies or even Post Graduate studies.

You all are to be commended for having the fortitude and perseverance to pass through this portion of your life tests.

Mujahidah4Allah
04-22-2009, 04:56 PM

so you'd have to do a Masters before moving on to PGCE?

wa/salam

Musaafirah
04-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Ameena* I don't have a clue what GRE stands for. Sorry.
@Aamirsaab, your tutor's a very optimistic person (!) The one thing I'm lucky about however, is the fact that the year I started my degree was the last year in which the standard uni fees were £1,115 or what not..at least I don't have to worry about the top up fees thingy.
Mujahidah, a master's isn't necessary for a PGCE, they're both independent of each other as they are postgraduate qualifications, likewise you don't need a master's to study for a PhD.
Masha'allah at those who've sorted out what they'll be doing!
Mysterious, thanks for your advice.
I was wondering if it would be silly to just take this year off to travel or what not.
I really need a break.
Yanal, I was talking about graduating from university. However, those who are graduating from anything else are welcome to contribute to this thread.

Cabdullahi
04-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Good luck sister^ i have an exam tomorrow inshallah ppl make duah for me and im still in my first year so no masters for me but my sister who is 22 is finishing this year plz make duah for her too,she doesnt want to do masters because she's had enough but my mother is not having it.....

aamirsaab
04-22-2009, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Good luck sister^ i have an exam tomorrow inshallah ppl make duah for me and im still in my first year so no masters for me but my sister who is 22 is finishing this year plz make duah for her too,she doesnt want to do masters because she's had enough but my mother is not having it.....
It depends on whether she can get a job or not (provided, she wants to of course). If you can get into a job right after the degree, then go for it. If you're not in that position, like me, might as well go for a masters (that way, you gain SOMETHING for the future)

Najm
04-22-2009, 06:23 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

I thought people get married after they get their degrees? :blind:

Hmmm. I guess degrees have become a norm, and now parents require a "must have" Phd to get married :D

Anyhoo!! I'll need a job preferably, a job in a firm!!! Spent all the money( not mine) on education, cant continue on the education path anymore. Until i get cash behind me :rollseyes

FiAmaaniAllah

Musaafirah
04-22-2009, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

It depends on whether she can get a job or not (provided, she wants to of course). If you can get into a job right after the degree, then go for it. If you're not in that position, like me, might as well go for a masters (that way, you gain SOMETHING for the future)
Not to sound big headed, but Insha'allah I've got the chance to have a job secured because of the placement year, where I passed the component required to be registered to work in that line.
Thing is, I'm not sure if it's something I still want to do for the rest of my life..

format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

I thought people get married after they get their degrees? :blind:

Hmmm. I guess degrees have become a norm, and now parents require a "must have" Phd to get married :D

FiAmaaniAllah
Yeah, in Bengali culture it's the norm...who knows? :rollseyes
I've changed my mind and now want to travel full time!

aamirsaab
04-22-2009, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
Not to sound big headed, but Insha'allah I've got the chance to have a job secured because of the placement year, where I passed the component required to be registered to work in that line.
Thing is, I'm not sure if it's something I still want to do for the rest of my life..
You have nothing to lose so you might as well attend the first day at work. Plus, if you take this job it doesn't mean you cannot find another/different job later on (your tastes will probably change later on in life) - it's not gauranteed to be permanent.

Go for the first day and see how it goes from there. Base your judgement on experience, not on expectation.

~Raynn~
04-22-2009, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
:w: Just wondering, is taking the GRE necessary in the UK for graduate school? :?
I think the GRE is specific to just American universities, but in the UK they usually ask foreign students to take the IELTS, another English test...

I technically graduate from high school this year, lol...not that we have any kind of ceremony or anything...:mmokay:

Mysterious Uk
04-22-2009, 10:03 PM

Yeah, in Bengali culture it's the norm...who knows? :rollseyes
I've changed my mind and now want to travel full time!
Yeh, i'm bengali and can say it is the norm to have a degree:
Mum: "so and so is getting married to so and so with a degree,
Me: degree in what?
Mum: i dunno, a degree in something

Traveling sounds good, i would luv to have the opportunity to have a break from all this work.

Musaafirah
04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
You have nothing to lose so you might as well attend the first day at work. Plus, if you take this job it doesn't mean you cannot find another/different job later on (your tastes will probably change later on in life) - it's not gauranteed to be permanent.

Go for the first day and see how it goes from there. Base your judgement on experience, not on expectation.
I am basing my judgement on experience, seeing as it's in a hospital where I had a paid placement for a year.
In hindsight, I'm thinking maybe it's the company of the people and not the work I enjoyed? I don't know..
It's just thinking that with the whole being registered and, then comes with it the late night shifts ( for which you get the following afternoon off), the 1 in 3 Saturday shifts (part and parcel of the job, no extra pay, it's to make up for the hours not performed on he weekdays) and the on-call shift (for which you don't have to sign on, but if you do, then you get extra pay as well as the following day off, if you have more than 3 calls)...
Whereas with teaching, I'd get 13 weeks of holidays. (Awesome or what?!)
But, there's the dawnting prospect of teaching...

Mysterious Uk
04-23-2009, 10:58 AM
But, there's the dawnting prospect of teaching...
Teaching sounds scary but it really isn't. I opted for working with nursery kids because i thought working with older kids wud b a bit scary but i changed my mind after i actually taught a class of 30 8 year olds. Once the kids know you a bit and you know them (which doesn't take long) it is reaally simple and really fun!

Musaafirah
04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Uk
Teaching sounds scary but it really isn't. I opted for working with nursery kids because i thought working with older kids wud b a bit scary but i changed my mind after i actually taught a class of 30 8 year olds. Once the kids know you a bit and you know them (which doesn't take long) it is reaally simple and really fun!
Hehe, I was kidding on that front. I've taught a group of 30 5 year old kids for 4 weeks, they were lovely! Mind you, it was an islamic summer club, so don't know if that had any impact on their behaviour..though I did start getting fed up at the end of it and was glad (in a way) when it was over..so I'm still undecided...
In reference to your older post...even though one may marry, it still doesn't stop one from studying. I've known some people to obtain a degree, get married and then study for a PhD and juggle life with kids and all..
So marriage doesn't end the prospect of learning...

Mysterious Uk
04-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Hehe, I was kidding on that front. I've taught a group of 30 5 year old kids for 4 weeks, they were lovely! Mind you, it was an islamic summer club, so don't know if that had any impact on their behaviour..though I did start getting fed up at the end of it and was glad (in a way) when it was over..so I'm still undecided...
In reference to your older post...even though one may marry, it still doesn't stop one from studying. I've known some people to obtain a degree, get married and then study for a PhD and juggle life with kids and all..
Oh right lol well, you wanted to teach in a secondary school yeh? Cos secondary school is way different to 5 year olds like.. You become a bit less fed up of them lol since they are way less eager to please.

Yeh i get what you're saying. I would love to take on another degree later in life.. probably if i could afford it tho, tuition fees are so unbelievably expensive.

Najm
04-23-2009, 08:14 PM

Uhkti i did say people get married and then dont learn anymore!! One should never stop learning!!! Its just parents get their children married because their degree is like a marriage certificate lol.

Nevertheless nowdays parents go looking only a person with Phd to obtain such certificate :rollseyes

Bengali's mannnn!!! lol :enough!:

FiAmaaniAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.