/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Satan/Hell

sarah123
04-22-2009, 06:48 PM
:sl:
I have a question regarding a book that i have read. Its called "Inferno" by Dante Allegari (?) and he explains the different circles of hell that souls go to depending on their punishments. He also encounters with Satan and describes what he is like and so on. I wanted to know, if our religion, Islam, have different levels as well, and how satan is viewed from our religion.

Thanks~

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamlover_girl
04-23-2009, 12:04 AM
God created three intelligent races: angels, jinns and humans, of which the latter two have been granted free will to choose between good and evil while angles don`t sin.
Jinn are made from smokeless fire while angles are made from light and human are made from clay.ٍSatan is a jinn.
(And We created you (humans), then fashioned you, then told the angels: Fall ye prostrate before Adam! And they fell prostrate, all save Iblis, who was not of those who made prostration.He said: "What hindered thee that thou didst not fall prostrate when I bade thee?" (Iblis) said: "I am better than him. Thou createdst me of fire while him Thou didst create of clay". [Qur'an 7:11]

Satan was proud and arrogant and considered himself superior to Adam, since Adam was made from clay and Satan was created from smokeless fire. For this act of disobedience, God cursed him to Hell for eternity, but gave him respite until the Day of Judgment, after Satan requested it.Satan obtained permission from God and vowed that he would use this time to lead all human men and women astray to Hell as a way of revenge against them.

Yanal
04-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Yes it's true there are seven levels of he'll. The shytaan was an early creature(human) made by Allah with Prophet Adam,he was to prostate to him but he declined it and cursed by Allah and he swore to make the true followers path harder ever since he is trying to and is now the Shytaan.

alcurad
04-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Iblees is mentioned in the qur'an in several passages, as one who disobeyed God in arrogance, and seeks to lead humans astray from the straight path.
and yes, punishment is not the same for all offenses.

P.S I don't think Dante Alighieri wrote that seriously, rather "inferno" is part of his "divine Comedy" a book which he wrote in jest and attempted humor, I don't think it details more about Christians' beliefs as much as his creative musings.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
That is a great book!!! Have you read the other two parts yet?

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"(Remember) when your Lord said to the angels: 'Truly, I am going to create man from clay. So when I have fashioned him and breathed into him (his) soul created by Me, then you fall down prostrate to him.' So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them, Except Iblees (Satan), he was proud and was one of the disbelievers. (Allaah) said: 'O Iblees (Satan)! What prevents you from prostrating yourself to one whom I have created with Both My Hands. Are you too proud (to fall prostrate to Adam) or are you one of the high exalted?' [Iblees (Satan)] said: 'I am better than he. You created me from fire, and You created him from clay.' (Allaah) said: "Then get out from here; for verily, you are outcast. And verily, My Curse is on you till the Day of Recompense.' [Iblees (Satan)] said: "'y Lord! Give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are resurrected.' (Allaah) said: 'Verily, you are of those allowed respite Till the Day of the time appointed.' [Iblees (Satan)] said: 'By Your Might, then I will surely, mislead them all, Except Your chosen slaves amongst them (i.e. faithful, obedient, true believers of Islamic Monotheism).' (Allaah) said: 'The truth is - and the truth I say * That I will fill Hell with you [Iblees (Satan)] and those of them (mankind) that follow you, together.'" [Saad 38:71-85]

“And surely, We created you (your father Adam) and then gave you shape (the noble shape of a human being); then We told the angels, ‘Prostrate yourselves to Adam’, and they prostrated themselves, except Iblees (Satan), he refused to be of those who prostrated themselves.
(Allaah) said: ‘What prevented you (O Iblees) that you did not prostrate yourself, when I commanded you?’ Iblees said: ‘I am better than him (Adam), You created me from fire, and him You created from clay.’
(Allaah) said: ‘(O Iblees) get down from this (Paradise), it is not for you to be arrogant here. Get out, for you are of those humiliated and disgraced.’
(Iblees) said: ‘Allow me respite till the Day they are raised up (i.e. the Day of Resurrection).’
(Allaah) said: ‘You are of those respited.’
(Iblees) said: ‘Because You have sent me astray, surely, I will sit in wait against them (human beings) on Your straight path.
Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and You will not find most of them as thankful ones (i.e. they will not be dutiful to You).’
(Allaah) said (to Iblees): ‘Get out from this (Paradise), disgraced and expelled. Whoever of them (mankind) will follow you, then surely, I will fill Hell with you all.’”
[al-A’raaf 7:11-18]
Iblees may Allaah curse him disobeyed his Lord and refused, stubbornly and arrogantly, to prostrate to Adam. This indicates the serious nature of self-admiration and pride. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound from that.
The matter of punishments is for Allaah to decide, and we know nothing about it except that which He has told us. The Kuffaar and Mushrikeen are major sinners who will abide in Hell forever, they and Iblees, may Allaah curse him.
there is one Hell and one Paradise, but each of them has degrees and levels. Paradise is sometimes mentioned in the plural in the Sunnah, but this does not mean that there are several types of Paradise; rather this is indicative of its greatness and the various degrees and levels in it, or it is indicative of the greatness of the reward of the one who enters it, as it says in the hadeeth of Anas ibn Maalik that Umm al-Rubayyi’ bint al-Bara’ , who was the mother of Haarithah ibn Suraaqah, came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: O Prophet of Allaah, will you not tell me about Haarithah?” – who had been killed at the battle of Badr by a stray arrow. “If he is in Paradise I will bear it with patience but if it is otherwise then I shall weep long and hard for him.” He said: “O Umm Haarithah, there are gardens in Paradise – according to another report: many gardens – and your son has attained the highest Firdaws.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2809.

Secondly:

The levels of Hell differ according to the extent of their inhabitants’ kufr in this world. The hypocrites will be in the lowest level of Hell, as our Lord has told us (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, the hypocrites will be in the lowest depth (grade) of the Fire; no helper will you find for them”

[al-Nisa’ 4:145]

The least severe (in torment) of its levels – from which we seek refuge with Allaah – was mentioned by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the hadeeth reported by al-Nu’maan ibn Basheer who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The least severely punished of the people of Hell will be a man who has two shoes and shoelaces of Fire – according to another version: two live coals will be placed on the soles of his feet – because of which his brains will boil as a pot boils. He will not think that anyone is being punished more severely than him, but he will be the one who is punished most lightly.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6562; Muslim, 212. The person is named specifically in a report narrated by Muslim, where it says that this is Abu Taalib, the paternal uncle of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), for whom Allaah will reduce the punishment because of the role he played in protecting Islam at the beginning.
most from islamqa.com key word hell
http://islamqa.com/en/search/iblis/AllWords/t,q,a
http://islamqa.com/en/search/hell/AllWords/t,q,a
you can scroll through this and inshallah you can find the answer to your Question

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 12:59 AM
So then an Islamic version of Inferno could me written?

جوري
04-24-2009, 12:59 AM
You'd be interested to know that Dante plagiarized from Islamic literature, only to put Muslims and a mosque in hell..
I am not sure where his genius was?
westerners are such hypocrites at times I think..
Islam comes with it, it is distasteful-- Dante steals it and wow, what genius!

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
You'd be interested to know that Dante plagiarized from Islamic literature, only to put Muslims and a mosque in hell..
Stole? From what? May I see some evidence?

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2009, 01:01 AM
I dont know who Dante is

جوري
04-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Visit out akhira section and browse through punishment in hell and its levels, then re-read Dante!

all the best

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Ohh also, that is a very old book, and their is no way I would no about an Islamic original version, no way any layman nowadays would know. So how are we hypocrites for enjoying an old classic piece of work...

جوري
04-24-2009, 01:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umar^111
I dont know who Dante is

You should read and familiarize yourself with many of those 'geniuses' like the cretin Rimbaud and his 'drunken boat' -- their hatred infiltrates their souls and their writing.. al7mdlilah rabena khlasana mino at a young age.
their work is dry at best, and I imagine much of it came out of literal pipe fantasies ...

:w:

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Visit out akhira section and browse through punishment in hell and its levels, then re-read Dante!

all the best
Wait are you saying he did not jack a book but that Islam has levels of hell? If that is the case then................ Are you kidding me? Really

جوري
04-24-2009, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
Ohh also, that is a very old book, and their is no way I would no about an Islamic original version, no way any layman nowadays would know. So how are we hypocrites for enjoying an old classic piece of work...

curious indeed.. who came first.. Islam or Dante (1265-1321)?

all the best

جوري
04-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Wait are you saying he did not jack a book but that Islam has levels of hell? If that is the case then................ Are you kidding me? Really
How am I kidding you?
you should compose your piece, while I offer Isha prayer!

all the best

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 01:07 AM
curious indeed.. who came first.. Islam or Dante (1265-1321)?

all the best
Curios what came first Christianity or Islam?

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2009, 01:09 AM
well really islam came before Christianity and before Jewish :)

جوري
04-24-2009, 01:09 AM
what does this have to do with Dante?

Islam is the religion that has always been-- it is the path of Abraham the upright!

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Dont let us hold up your salah we will be here fiamenillah

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 01:14 AM
what does this have to do with Dante?

Islam is the religion that has always been-- it is the path of Abraham the upright!
But it was not reveled always. Christianity existed in that sense before Islam, Christianity would have this, how did he steal from Islam? Really the both are part of a trio of religions.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2009, 01:17 AM
But it was not reveled always. Christianity existed in that sense before Islam, Christianity would have this, how did he steal from Islam? Really the both are part of a trio of religions.
you dont understand what we are saying islam was taught by All prophets including Jesus pbuh

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2009, 01:22 AM
HERE u go AoP http://www.islamicboard.com/hereafte...dise-hell.html

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 01:22 AM
you dont understand what we are saying islam was taught by All prophets including Jesus pbuh
I get that, but Dante did not know or think that, he got his ideas for Christianity not Islam. He did not steal from Islam in that case Christianity would have. She has no case.

جوري
04-24-2009, 01:28 AM
But it was not reveled always.
I am afraid you've lost me there..

Christianity existed in that sense before Islam,
in what sense?
Christianity would have this,
Would have what?
how did he steal from Islam?
He took the concept of levels in hell clearly influenced by Islamic literature, what sealed the deal for me is that he put a mosque in hell.. if the idea just came to him as all writers have their muse, why are there muslims and a mosque in his story if it were his original?
Really the both are part of a trio of religions.
You'd be interested to know that God revealed 5 books not three, everyone from Adam to Enoch to John the baptist and the rest followed strict monotheism.. there is no trilogy here and no favored people..

all the best

جوري
04-24-2009, 01:31 AM
I get that, but Dante did not know or think that, he got his ideas for Christianity not Islam. He did not steal from Islam in that case Christianity would have. She has no case.
ah, let's see the levels of hell in Christianity and their classifications for you to have a case..
further and I have just told you, he mentions a mosque in hell in his book, now why do you suppose? Just came to him too?

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 01:37 AM
I'll hunt some down. Tonight or 2 days from now. I won't be on tomorow. Any Christians able to help?

sarah123
04-24-2009, 02:08 AM
yeah its a great book, and i havent read the other ones yet. the only argument i have against dante is that he put Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in one of levels of hell im not sure which one, but he said that he has sinned because he went in war i forgot the war name.. that kinda made me mad.

But are there different levels of hell though in a Islam religion?

sarah123
04-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"(Remember) when your Lord said to the angels: 'Truly, I am going to create man from clay. So when I have fashioned him and breathed into him (his) soul created by Me, then you fall down prostrate to him.' So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them, Except Iblees (Satan), he was proud and was one of the disbelievers. (Allaah) said: 'O Iblees (Satan)! What prevents you from prostrating yourself to one whom I have created with Both My Hands. Are you too proud (to fall prostrate to Adam) or are you one of the high exalted?' [Iblees (Satan)] said: 'I am better than he. You created me from fire, and You created him from clay.' (Allaah) said: "Then get out from here; for verily, you are outcast. And verily, My Curse is on you till the Day of Recompense.' [Iblees (Satan)] said: "'y Lord! Give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are resurrected.' (Allaah) said: 'Verily, you are of those allowed respite Till the Day of the time appointed.' [Iblees (Satan)] said: 'By Your Might, then I will surely, mislead them all, Except Your chosen slaves amongst them (i.e. faithful, obedient, true believers of Islamic Monotheism).' (Allaah) said: 'The truth is - and the truth I say * That I will fill Hell with you [Iblees (Satan)] and those of them (mankind) that follow you, together.'" [Saad 38:71-85]

“And surely, We created you (your father Adam) and then gave you shape (the noble shape of a human being); then We told the angels, ‘Prostrate yourselves to Adam’, and they prostrated themselves, except Iblees (Satan), he refused to be of those who prostrated themselves.
(Allaah) said: ‘What prevented you (O Iblees) that you did not prostrate yourself, when I commanded you?’ Iblees said: ‘I am better than him (Adam), You created me from fire, and him You created from clay.’
(Allaah) said: ‘(O Iblees) get down from this (Paradise), it is not for you to be arrogant here. Get out, for you are of those humiliated and disgraced.’
(Iblees) said: ‘Allow me respite till the Day they are raised up (i.e. the Day of Resurrection).’
(Allaah) said: ‘You are of those respited.’
(Iblees) said: ‘Because You have sent me astray, surely, I will sit in wait against them (human beings) on Your straight path.
Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and You will not find most of them as thankful ones (i.e. they will not be dutiful to You).’
(Allaah) said (to Iblees): ‘Get out from this (Paradise), disgraced and expelled. Whoever of them (mankind) will follow you, then surely, I will fill Hell with you all.’”
[al-A’raaf 7:11-18]
Iblees may Allaah curse him disobeyed his Lord and refused, stubbornly and arrogantly, to prostrate to Adam. This indicates the serious nature of self-admiration and pride. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound from that.
The matter of punishments is for Allaah to decide, and we know nothing about it except that which He has told us. The Kuffaar and Mushrikeen are major sinners who will abide in Hell forever, they and Iblees, may Allaah curse him.
there is one Hell and one Paradise, but each of them has degrees and levels. Paradise is sometimes mentioned in the plural in the Sunnah, but this does not mean that there are several types of Paradise; rather this is indicative of its greatness and the various degrees and levels in it, or it is indicative of the greatness of the reward of the one who enters it, as it says in the hadeeth of Anas ibn Maalik that Umm al-Rubayyi’ bint al-Bara’ , who was the mother of Haarithah ibn Suraaqah, came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: O Prophet of Allaah, will you not tell me about Haarithah?” – who had been killed at the battle of Badr by a stray arrow. “If he is in Paradise I will bear it with patience but if it is otherwise then I shall weep long and hard for him.” He said: “O Umm Haarithah, there are gardens in Paradise – according to another report: many gardens – and your son has attained the highest Firdaws.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2809.

Secondly:

The levels of Hell differ according to the extent of their inhabitants’ kufr in this world. The hypocrites will be in the lowest level of Hell, as our Lord has told us (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, the hypocrites will be in the lowest depth (grade) of the Fire; no helper will you find for them”

[al-Nisa’ 4:145]

The least severe (in torment) of its levels – from which we seek refuge with Allaah – was mentioned by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the hadeeth reported by al-Nu’maan ibn Basheer who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The least severely punished of the people of Hell will be a man who has two shoes and shoelaces of Fire – according to another version: two live coals will be placed on the soles of his feet – because of which his brains will boil as a pot boils. He will not think that anyone is being punished more severely than him, but he will be the one who is punished most lightly.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6562; Muslim, 212. The person is named specifically in a report narrated by Muslim, where it says that this is Abu Taalib, the paternal uncle of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), for whom Allaah will reduce the punishment because of the role he played in protecting Islam at the beginning.
most from islamqa.com key word hell
http://islamqa.com/en/search/iblis/AllWords/t,q,a
http://islamqa.com/en/search/hell/AllWords/t,q,a
you can scroll through this and inshallah you can find the answer to your Question
oh thank you , sorry i didnt see this. thanks!

جوري
04-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Yes there are, it is included in the link above, of course there are more than those mentioned.. in brief

It is called al-Jaheem

It is called Jahannam

It is called Lazaa (

It is called al-Sa’eer
It is called Saqar part of hell for Muslims (I believe)
It is called al-Hatamah (broken pieces, debris) because it breaks and crushes everything that is thrown into it.

It is called al-Haawiyah (chasm, abyss) because the one who is thrown into it is thrown from top to bottom… and so on.

There is also zamhareer-- a place of unbearable cold

and believe it or not the expression waylon lak, doesn't mean woe unto you, that too is a place in hell

along with others

and Allah swt knows best

sarah123
04-24-2009, 02:17 AM
thank you it makes more sense now. i'm writing a term paper about comparing and contrasting and also arguing against Dante about Hell/Satan. so this helped me very much! :)

جوري
04-24-2009, 02:18 AM
my pleasure give em hell and make it good..

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2009, 02:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sarah123
thank you it makes more sense now. i'm writing a term paper about comparing and contrasting and also arguing against Dante about Hell/Satan. so this helped me very much! :)
You are welcome sis
:) but can you read this http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...u-khayran.html Jazak Allahu Khayr

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-24-2009, 02:50 AM
lol

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2009, 02:51 AM
lol
??????

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.