/* */

PDA

View Full Version : PGCE Secondary

AbuSalahudeen
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
:sl:

I Graduated last year (2008) with a Bachelors of Science, I currently work in the IT industry, I'm thinking of making a early career move to Secondary ICT Teaching. If any one here is going through a PGCE or has completed it, please tell me about your experiences and things for me to expect. I haven't got any teaching experience :exhausted but I'm planning to take a week off work and spend it in a school observing different classes and inshallah I'm trying to get some work experience in a weekend tution center.

....also those who live in London, which Institions would you recommend me to study at, I've heard Institute of Education is good, and University of East London does a good PGCE program although it is not a great University (no offence if anyone is a undergrad there).

....and if any of you are Secondary School teachers in the UK I would love to hear your honest opinions.

Look forward to reading the replys :D.

PS isit me or isit mostly sisters who get into teaching, I haven't met many practising brothers involved in Teaching School children in the UK.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AbuSalahudeen
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
................?

Yanal
04-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Ask bro Farhan he is a UNI teacher.

Musaafirah
04-25-2009, 08:52 PM
A quote from a sister in another thread...
format_quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Uk
I am thinking of doing a PGCE when my degree is finished, but i prefer working with primary schools kids. I was a teaching assistant for 5 weeks in a primary school and loved it. My friend works in a secondary school and she said it is better than primary school because the kids are less clingy and you see different children all the time. As well as the free periods too.

If you are thinking of doing a pgce a couple of students who are doing it told me:
- you go to three different schools
- you cannot choose which years you want to teach
- you teach for one term
- whilst you teach, you are observed at least once a week
- paid £500 a month
- assessed on a pass or fail system and if you don't do well you can do another year

Hope that was of some help.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AbuSalahudeen
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
A quote from a sister in another thread...
Jazakallah Khair

Mysterious Uk
04-26-2009, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnuFarah
I haven't got any teaching experience :exhausted but I'm planning to take a week off work and spend it in a school observing different classes and inshallah I'm trying to get some work experience in a weekend tution center.
:thumbs_up Good move bro, the more experience you get, the better. Mind you, observing is kinda boring cos you begin to enjoy it more when you get to interact with the kiddies. Maybe ask if you can have more of a teaching asistant(ish) role. I did that, and it just involved giving a couple of students a bit of extra help in class work.

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnuFarah

PS isit me or isit mostly sisters who get into teaching, I haven't met many practising brothers involved in Teaching School children in the UK.
Yeh, i don't know any either. Strange.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.