/* */

PDA

View Full Version : LI Story Writing contest - Final Details

Na7lah
04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
:sl:

We agreed that the contestants can write about what ever they want with a limit of 4000 words.

But we haven't yet decided on the deadline? Those who are participating, can you hurry and post what date would be the best for you?

Deadline: 30 June 2009

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
04-25-2009, 09:02 AM
*bump...
may 5th? yay, nay?

Cabdullahi
04-25-2009, 11:47 AM
May 5th ive got an exam :(

Whatsthepoint
04-25-2009, 12:00 PM
May 5th ive got an exam
Me too, but I wasn't gonna participate anyway.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
04-25-2009, 12:06 PM
^ Me three, my exams start that same day, lol.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on participating either though..:><:

Cabdullahi
04-25-2009, 12:13 PM
^ why do they put the students through all this and at specific day

''lets stress them out''

''what day shall we choose?''

''5th of may sir!''

"sounds good"

Muezzin
04-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Okay. When do people's exams finish? End of May, into June etc?

Yanal
04-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Post the story before going to the exam.

Muezzin
04-26-2009, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Post the story before going to the exam.
I don't think that's a good idea.

If the contest needs to be delayed because of exams, so be it. Exams are more important.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-26-2009, 12:30 PM
@ thread starter sis, we hand them into you right :)

Na7lah
04-27-2009, 03:10 PM
i think so, that way if i post them without the author's name it'll be fair

Re.TiReD
05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Ahh, JazakAllah khayr Umm Shaheed for directing me to this thread, I missed it somehow lol I think it should be made a sticky.

Khayr, the deadline insha'Allah? I think we're looking at June...we should do June 15th or summin.

Musaafirah
05-05-2009, 11:01 AM
June 15th sounds fine with me. :D

idk
05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeahhh June 15th :)

Yanal
05-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Ok but some final exams are during that week for me and a few others....:X

The Ruler
05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Make it the end of June. Most, if not all, exams should be over by then.

Re.TiReD
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Oki, last day of June insha'Allah

جوري
05-05-2009, 02:53 PM
you'd better make it interesting this time folks.. and buy the book 'rules of thump'
I don't want to strain reading one large paragraph like last time..
In fact I would like to just introduce a few themes to a story and then everyone can work with those few so at least we'd not be comparing apples and oranges for instance:
say a story about a young doctor and an old lady on her death bed.. he can't shake an ill feeling in his innards as he approaches her stately bed notices this stately arched window walls... in fact the walls should represent some interplay of light and darkness on this woman as she lays dying, he comes in to treat and give end of life quality care.. the more he talks to her the stranger she appears until 3 past midnight.. something climatic should happen at three past midnight..

now you can set all your own themes around this main story.. it can be winter, summer in Transylvania or cairo, it can be three centuries ago or last week and of course the story can take any direction you want, she may die, live, turn into a spider for all we care..you can also add characters other doctors, anything you want..

what do you guys think? can we come up with a few themes for the writers from which to choose? just so the judges can have some interest in reading?

:w:

Muezzin
05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
^It’s going to be by poll vote this time, rather than using judges. No set theme. Unless I’m mistaken.

Either way, I’m two-thirds of the way through the story I intend to enter, which… doesn’t have anything to do with doctors. The narrative does have a thematic underpinning embodied by the characters, and it should not be an utter bore to read (if it is, the amount of work I’m putting into the blasted thing’s pacing is all for nought… which is possible, but annoying).

جوري
05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
great.. I declined as a judge last time, but was called in because someone else had a leave of absence.. not sure who I think voting is definitely an improv, except if one person makes a whole bunch of people join to vote for his or her own which wouldn't be fair :hmm:
It was difficult to judge some pieces last time because they simply didn't measure up to the others, I figured some criteria would give everyone a fighting chance, I.e theme, or age group or genre .. something has to give so that a 13 year old has the same chance as a 23 or a 33 year old..

nonetheless, I look fwd to reading them all insha'Allah without skimming through the intro and conclusion

Muezzin
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
great.. I declined as a judge last time, but was called in because someone else had a leave of absence.. not sure who I think voting is definitely an improv, except if one person makes a whole bunch of people join to vote for his or her own which wouldn't be fair :hmm:
Fair point. I think the rationale this time was for the contest to be as fast as possible – entries in day 1, results given on day 7 kind of thing. A poll would facilitate that, but would have that kind of weakness.

I guarantee I personally play fair though. I’ve got a lot more to gain from people exposing weaknesses for me to strengthen, than getting pats on the back, nice and welcome as they are. Contest deadlines and things are a means to kick my backside into action and finish the thing. Whether it wins or not, use any feedback generated to whip it into even better shape and send it off to a magazine or something.

It was difficult to judge some pieces last time because they simply didn't measure up to the others, I figured some criteria would give everyone a fighting chance, I.e theme, or age group or genre .. something has to give so that a 13 year old has the same chance as a 23 or a 33 year old..
I think it should be relatively easy to set up different age brackets. Under 18s and Over 18s for instance. What do you reckon, organisers?

nonetheless, I look fwd to reading them all insha'Allah without skimming through the intro and conclusion

If anyone skims through my conclusion, I will quite possibly punch myself in the face. It’s a nightmare to write.

جوري
05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
lol.. what I wrote came out all wrong, but in my defense I have only had 3 hrs and 23 mins of sleep... but I digress...
my last line should have actually read, with some pieces I missed the entire body, and skimmed through the intro and conclusion, which is even worst than reading the body and skimming through the other two.. with some folks there was just one large paragraph so I wasn't quite sure where anything was...with the amount of reading I assume most of us do, a story should have a few things, I'll quote an atheist and depraved teacher I once had, a composition should be like a lady' skirt, short enough to be interesting but long enough to cover the subjects.
I hope I don't sound too critical, I am only writing this because I sincerely hope, everyone who enters is a potential winner insha'Allah

p.s yes age brackets would be good

Re.TiReD
05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

The entries are going to Na7lah so only she would know the ages. I dont see what difference it'll make though, unless you want 2 seperate polls and 2 winners, is that what you mean?

WassalamuAlaykum

جوري
05-05-2009, 08:19 PM
well, I think we can do it like they do at the Oscars, we can have a categorical entry, best for ages 18 and under , best for 18 and above, and then of the two finalists can go against one another, there is no saying below 18 can't win, just if they don't win, it would be nice to have an acknowledgment of their accomplishment?.. just so the whole thing isn't about a win or a loss, but the spirit of the competition.. I had a few reservations on how it took place last time, and I just wanted to leave my 'SOLE' input.. by no means am I trying to instate my opinion as rules.. I just want everyone to have a fair chance and to really bring something forth that the rest of us can enjoy.. I think if there is one exquisite writer and we all know that there are a couple here who really stand out, it is almost disparaging that others will feel they might not have a good chance at winning?

what say you? I am always looking to amend my opinion..

جوري
05-05-2009, 08:23 PM

I got an even better idea
forget about all this categorical nonsense
let's have a first, second and third place prizes?

I don't know what the prize was last time but I think this would really give contestants something to look fwd to?

Re.TiReD
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM

I got an even better idea
forget about all this categorical nonsense
let's have a first, second and third place prizes?

I don't know what the prize was last time but I think this would really give contestants something to look fwd to?

Wa'alaykum As-Salaam

I quite like the post you made before this one though...I'm open to suggestions, as I'm sure Muezzin and all the others are too.

I'll talk to -S- about the prize insha'Allah. I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something. I have something in mind anyway ;) :p

جوري
05-05-2009, 08:31 PM
cool lol.. I knew if I put enough posts up there one of them would please :p ...

I really do enjoy reading short stories and hope I can dim the lights, get a snack and enjoy myself this time around..

Re.TiReD
05-05-2009, 08:35 PM
cool lol.. I knew if I put enough posts up there one of them would please :p ...

I really do enjoy reading short stories and hope I can dim the lights, get a snack and enjoy myself this time around..

So tell me if this makes sense insha'Allah sis. We make two threads, i.e. 2 seperate polls. One for 18+ and for for the under 18's....or is there any way we can have them in the same thread. How do you think it should be executed?

جوري
05-05-2009, 08:41 PM
hmmmn.. let me think about the execution on the long drive I am about to take.

khyer insha'Allah, we'll come back with a thought on the matter in an hr or two...

Re.TiReD
05-05-2009, 08:43 PM
hmmmn.. let me think about the execution on the long drive I am about to take.

khyer insha'Allah, we'll come back with a thought on the matter in an hr or two...

Nothing better than a long drive to contemplate a difficult matter :D

Insha'Allah, see you in a while sis

WassalamuAlaykum

جوري
05-05-2009, 11:31 PM
and two hrs later my thoughts on the matter are: that we should have two separate threads or if possible one thread with two separate polls (but I have never seen that done) -- then after the voting is done for each category we merge the threads for the last two entries and then vote one last time..

what say you?

Muezzin
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
and two hrs later my thoughts on the matter are: that we should have two separate threads or if possible one thread with two separate polls (but I have never seen that done) -- then after the voting is done for each category we merge the threads for the last two entries and then vote one last time..

what say you?

Sounds good, except for merging threads at the end and creating a new poll. The technology doesn't really allow us to do that unfortunately. However, what if we just made three threads?

Thread 1 - Under 18s entries with poll

Thread 2 - Over 18s entries with poll

Thread 3 - The Final (two remaining entries with poll)

Thread 3 would be created after the results from the other two threads have been collected and their polls closed.

mystifyed
05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
When is the contest ??

Ummu Sufyaan
05-06-2009, 10:05 AM
^its on now and the dead line is at the end of june :)

mystifyed
05-06-2009, 10:10 AM
oh ok
Jazakillah sis
i was thinking of writing a story

Re.TiReD
05-06-2009, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Sounds good, except for merging threads at the end and creating a new poll. The technology doesn't really allow us to do that unfortunately. However, what if we just made three threads?

Thread 3 would be created after the results from the other two threads have been collected and their polls closed.
Perfect.

Somebody should edit the opening post and put in the deadline aswell, 30th June insha'Allah.

Muezzin
05-06-2009, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafsah
Perfect.

Somebody should edit the opening post and put in the deadline aswell, 30th June insha'Allah.
Done.

جوري
05-06-2009, 12:31 PM

sounds great insha'Allah-- I am game with that!

Muezzin
05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Cool. Now all we need to do is decide what happens if someone deliberately votes for their own entry...

idk
05-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Eliminate them. Lol.

جوري
05-06-2009, 04:38 PM
well, here is the thing, even the president gets one vote, and with any hope he votes for himself? I think contestants should be allowed one vote to spend however they like, what we don't need though are anonymous campaign managers making accounts for themselves to vote for a particular member ... but, I'd hate to see any entry get zero votes imsad

what say you?

Re.TiReD
05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Cool. Now all we need to do is decide what happens if someone deliberately votes for their own entry...
Make the poll public. Na7lah can keep an eye on it since she'll know which one belongs to whom.

Muezzin
05-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Hafsah: That didn't stop people last time though, and the entire poll was closed as a result.

Gossamer: Well, inshallah 13 people intend to enter, rather than only 2 as in a presidential election. If all entrants voted for themselves it could cause a stalemate, or worse - entrants won't bother to read the work of their fellows.

Nobody wants to see an entry receive zero votes. The only thing worse is if its sole vote is from its author. :(

جوري
05-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Hafsah: That didn't stop people last time though, and the entire poll was closed as a result.

Gossamer: Well, inshallah 13 people intend to enter, rather than only 2 as in a presidential election. If all entrants voted for themselves it could cause a stalemate, or worse - entrants won't bother to read the work of their fellows.

Nobody wants to see an entry receive zero votes. The only thing worse is if its sole vote is from its author. :(
ROFL.. you are funny..
anyhow, on a side note, People can pretty much tell how good it is going get by the first paragraph.. if the opening statements aren't captivating, there is little hope the rest will stifle more than a yawn ..

here is to hoping we are all ensnared by all entries :D

Re.TiReD
05-07-2009, 08:10 AM
That was the poetry contest, and do you remember who the culprit was? The resident clown of LI, lol I doubt anybody else would do the same.

Or you might be talking about the plagiarism incident in the other poetry contest, it only received one vote anyway and as soon as we realised we removed the entry.

We can warn them in advance, and thats the most we can do really. And withdraw the entry if we find out.

Keep the polls public and remind the participants to fear Allah.

Muezzin
05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
ROFL.. you are funny..
I dunno. I'm just honest.

anyhow, on a side note, People can pretty much tell how good it is going get by the first paragraph.. if the opening statements aren't captivating, there is little hope the rest will stifle more than a yawn ..
Yep, the opening is indeed crucial.

here is to hoping we are all ensnared by all entries :D

Inshallah there will be a smorgasbord of quality narratives.

That was the poetry contest, and do you remember who the culprit was? The resident clown of LI, lol I doubt anybody else would do the same.

Or you might be talking about the plagiarism incident in the other poetry contest, it only received one vote anyway and as soon as we realised we removed the entry.
We had a poll on the last story contest too. Granted, the results of it wouldn't decide the winner, but when people voted for themselves, the whole poll still had to be closed.

We can warn them in advance, and thats the most we can do really. And withdraw the entry if we find out.

Keep the polls public and remind the participants to fear Allah.
Okey-dokey.

جوري
05-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Can I enter the contest too? .. I am not looking to win anything actually but for the love of writing..

I am almost done with my short story.. to whom do I give it? or since it is a vote, are they posted here under anon?

Yanal
05-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Yeah and when's the due date? We need to be more organized....

Na7lah
you send it to me, and i'll post them all in a thread after the deadline inshallah :)

Na7lah
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
Yeah and when's the due date? We need to be more organized....
June 30

جوري
05-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Jazaki Allah khyran.. I have decided against competing..
but if you are interested in reading it I posted it here:

http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...ml#post1142704

Na7lah
06-11-2009, 02:38 AM
bump

Yanal
06-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Oh o...forgot about this competition...have to make a story now...:X

Al-Zaara
06-11-2009, 04:09 PM
June!?

Ah, I thought July... Haven't even started anything! Hmm. Oj oj.

Oh well, inshaAllah I'll still enter.

Beardo
06-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Where is the information? I want to join in too!

Yanal
06-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Ahh I think you could see the front page of this thread or PM sister naziah.

Muezzin
06-22-2009, 06:10 PM
So, how are entrants' stories progressing?

Na7lah
06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
only got one entry

Muezzin
06-22-2009, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Na7lah
only got one entry
Erk.

I'll have to get a move on.

Yanal
06-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Oh....I forgot about this and forgot to email my story from the schools computer which means I cannot post my story because school is closed till August,and the due date is June 30. Oh well I also thought it wasnt a well based story with a good concept. Only one entry is out. You know that for sure..because if I rush it,the grammer and spelling will not be well revised unless I do it with zÂk not that he would want to with me.

In the end I cannot participate sadly because of that reason^.

Re.TiReD
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
It's tomorrow. Oh My...

Muezzin
06-29-2009, 03:16 PM
It's tomorrow. Oh My...
Do I detect an extension?

Or should I stop whingeing and polish the draft I have?

Re.TiReD
06-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Do I detect an extension?

Or should I stop whingeing and polish the draft I have?

Extend the already extended extension? No siree!

Tomorrow it is insha'Allah

Ummu Sufyaan
06-29-2009, 03:42 PM
what time does it have to be in by? or is that not relevant.

Re.TiReD
06-29-2009, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
what time does it have to be in by? or is that not relevant.
Before midnight insha'Allah? Techincally as long as its the 30th it doesnt matter.

Muezzin
06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Extend the already extended extension? No siree!

Tomorrow it is insha'Allah
Oh well. It was worth a try.

Just sent it in.

Happy dance.

Muhaba
06-30-2009, 05:21 AM
well i can't wait to read them!

Ummu Sufyaan
06-30-2009, 06:26 AM
how many entries is there now?

Na7lah
06-30-2009, 05:58 PM

there are 3 now

Mujahidah4Allah
06-30-2009, 09:50 PM

when do we get to read them?

wa/salam

Musaafirah
07-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Argh.
I haven't finished my story.
Edit: Meant to say 'The material is not worthy of the competition...'
I'll probs post in my blog when and if it gets finished.
Rah.
I'm still stuck in the middle.

Yanal
07-01-2009, 10:07 PM
3 only? Well if you extend it to next week I can possibily have a story ready....but maybe it will just be a waste of time considering I am 14,and don't have a lot of grammer,and a concept of a story.

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-01-2009, 10:25 PM
:salamext:

Has everyone who intends to participate submitted their entries? I was looking forward to reading the stories.

Yanal
07-01-2009, 10:33 PM
^not me

Tony
07-01-2009, 10:36 PM
^^if there is extension i would like a go too

Muezzin
07-02-2009, 04:53 PM
So, what's happening with the contest?

Na7lah
07-02-2009, 05:50 PM
i hav 4 entires, should i post them up with a poll? and should i add or not add the names of the authors?

Re.TiReD
07-02-2009, 10:38 PM
We should not have an extension, people are just taking the mike...we've had long enough already. You should post them up insha'Allah without authors names and make the poll public and give it something like 3/4 days. Unless the time has been fixed otherwise before.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-03-2009, 04:42 AM
^ agreed, only i think it should be 5 days :-[

Tony
07-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I definately voye extension:D

Na7lah
07-03-2009, 06:10 PM
ok inshallah i'll post them up later today :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.