/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Demolitions build Jerusalem tension

Uthman
04-25-2009, 03:34 PM

Samia Ihdaidoon says she and her family were given five minutes to evacuate their home

Five young children cling to their mother. All of them are crying. This morning, without warning, Israeli bulldozers came to destroy their home in Jabal Mukabar area of East Jerusalem.

Speaking amongst the mangled remains of her house, Samia Ihdaidoon says she was still sleeping when Israel's police arrived.

"They came pounding on the doors and climbed in through the bedroom window as if it was a raid. They said I had five minutes to put on my scarf and collect our valuables, then I had to get out. It's a shock for the children. Look at their faces. I'm in despair."

Israel says the Ihdaidoon's house was demolished because it was built illegally.

Angry neighbours congregate in the rubble.

We're not going to leave. Why should I leave for the Israelis? This is our land. Even if we have to put up a tent and live in it

Samia Ihdaidoon

Osama Zahaika told us Israel makes it almost impossible for Palestinians to get building permits in East Jerusalem.

"As a Palestinian I know why they do it. Israel doesn't want us here. My house, most of the Palestinian houses in East Jerusalem are illegal. Not granting us construction permission, demolishing our houses. It's a form of quiet transfer," Mr Zahaika says.

"People like to talk of human rights. Where are human rights here? If you destroy a family home in winter, it's cold. In summer, it's hot. At the same time Israelis can build and live in East Jerusalem without being disturbed. Is it one rule for us, one rule for the Jews, the Israelis?"

More to come

Israel's Association for Civil Rights says Jerusalem's municipality uses planning regulations to curb Palestinian construction.

Although Palestinians make up an estimated one third of the Jerusalem population, according to ACRI, only 7.25% of the city's land is designated for their building projects.

Hundreds of East Jerusalem Palestinians have lost their homes over the past few years, thanks to demolition orders.

Israeli NGO's, such as B'Tselem, warn that close to 2,000 could face the same fate over the next months.

If current demolition orders are carried out, this would be the largest loss of Palestinian homes in East Jerusalem since Israel captured the territory just over 40 years ago.

At the same time, Jewish Israeli citizens are moving in to the area. This is illegal under international law as East Jerusalem is occupied territory, though Israel disputes this and has annexed the area.

Palestinians fear this could mean the end of a dream - to one day have East Jerusalem as the capital of their own state.

The international community's Middle East envoy Tony Blair told me this cannot be allowed to happen.

"The only two-state solution which will work is one that is fair and that will mean East Jerusalem as the capital of a Palestinian state. It will also mean that it is a state that is viable in terms of its territory."

'Hot air'

The issue of home demolitions is now attracting widespread international attention.

As we stood, hot and dusty, amongst the Ihdaidoon's rubble, four smart, shiny United Nations cars powered towards us.

Even if we are talking about a few buildings that have been pulled down, this is not expulsion. When there is illegal building, we have to enforce the law but nothing will be done without the co-operation of the residents.

Naomi Tsur
Deputy Mayor of Jerusalem

Robert Serry, the UN's Special Co-ordinator for the Middle East peace process, stepped out.

It was a surprise visit. He offered his sympathies to the family. They thanked him politely but asked for action, not just words.

Mr Serry said he'd spoken about the East Jerusalem demolitions to Israel's new right-wing government.

"Of course, if these kind of things which I'm now seeing here continue they will not help any peace process. I know how much Jerusalem is dear to many Israelis but it is also dear to Palestinians," Mr Serry said.

"We have to find a solution to that but we, as the international community, expect from the parties - in this case from the Jerusalem authorities here - not to make our work even harder."

New plan

At Jerusalem's municipality, the new Deputy Mayor, Naomi Tsur, said there was a lot of hot air surrounding the issue, that all Jerusalem residents are treated equally. Illegally built houses are demolished in West Jerusalem too.

The Ihdaidoon family have salvaged some of their belongings

"Even if we are talking about a few buildings that have been pulled down, this is not expulsion. When there is illegal building, we have to enforce the law but nothing will be done without the co-operation of the residents," Ms Tsur insists.

"Jerusalem is a city for all its citizens, north, south, east and west. No group that asks to meet myself or the mayor is refused.

"We are looking into affordable housing projects in east Jerusalem for young Muslim couples, young Christian couples. We have a new city plan. The first in Jerusalem since 1959."

Back at the Ihdaidoon's, father of the family, Amar, began replanting two trees uprooted by Israel's bulldozers almost as soon as they had left. He wants to rebuild the family home as soon as possible. Jerusalem, he told me, is Palestinian.

"We're not going to leave," his wife Samia insists. "Why should I leave for the Israelis? This is our land. Even if we have to put up a tent and live in it."

The Ihdaidoons have opted for quiet resistance but other Palestinians warn growing frustration in East Jerusalem could spark violence.

KEY STORIES

Eviction in battle for East Jerusalem
Clinton concern over demolitions
W Bank building 'bias' condemned
Israel 'lax on demolition orders'

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
transition?
04-25-2009, 04:38 PM
:cry:

Vito
04-25-2009, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Even if we are talking about a few buildings that have been pulled down, this is not expulsion. When there is illegal building, we have to enforce the law but nothing will be done without the co-operation of the residents.
Naomi Tsur
Deputy Mayor of Jerusalem
Was that supposed to be the "Joke of The Day" or something?

Hassan'76ers
04-25-2009, 06:33 PM
I just wish sometimes that an earthquake swallows the homes of the IDF and the Israeli Government :@

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
04-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Palis are apparently left with nothing else but to rebel with force..

Uthman
04-25-2009, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Indeed the situation does seem likely to lead many down the violence route.

http://www.islamicboard.com/news-gaz...as-youths.html

aadil77
04-25-2009, 07:26 PM
This is disgusting

I'll be waiting for the kuffar justification of ths act

AntiKarateKid
04-25-2009, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
This is disgusting

I'll be waiting for the kuffar justification of ths act
Something along the lines of:

The article is fake!

or

That house was harboring a terrorist.

or

The family was involved in terrorist activities.

AntiKarateKid
04-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Did you just realize that?

Yanal
04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
That is sad,that no mother can sleep peacefully without staying awake for these things to happen,even if it doesn't happen that night it will sooner or later and thats when....

Musaafirah
04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
What can be done about this situation?
I mean, we're not even allowed to give aid to the Palestinians, what with reports of some of the convoys being taken off track and what not.
I just feel so bad for the people. It's their home. They have a right to live there.
What if that was to happen to us? Imagine your house being bulldozed right in front of your eyes.
Why are the Israelis committing such injustice? Sheesh.

noorahmad
04-25-2009, 08:51 PM
and they dare talk about racism, and treat ahmadinejad of racist!!!!!

Uthman
04-26-2009, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
What can be done about this situation?
I mean, we're not even allowed to give aid to the Palestinians, what with reports of some of the convoys being taken off track and what not.
I just feel so bad for the people. It's their home. They have a right to live there.
What if that was to happen to us? Imagine your house being bulldozed right in front of your eyes.
Why are the Israelis committing such injustice? Sheesh.
From what I have heard, their Imaan is very strong!

Whatsthepoint
04-26-2009, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid

The article is fake!

or

or

Actually it's:
Israel says the Ihdaidoon's house was demolished because it was built illegally.

Whatsthepoint
04-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Did you just realize that?
No, I have realized it before and I said it won't bring them anywhere but I can understand them.

Whatsthepoint
04-26-2009, 01:26 PM
And killing civilians is not acceptable.
Hijacking planes and ransoming is fine like the pflp did, also bombing infrasctructure.

transition?
04-26-2009, 02:20 PM
And killing civilians is not acceptable.
Hijacking planes and ransoming is fine like the pflp did, also bombing infrasctructure.
Tell that to Israel. Do you remember that Gaza Massacre this year? Bombing hospitals is okay when Israel does it. Shooting family members who want to bury their dead from what Israel has bombed is okay when Israel does it. They shoot people who try to come back and claim their dead. Have you ever seen a dog eat your dead family member, ravaging at it. tearing it up. What had those families done to Israel? Israel has NOW attacked Palestinians civilians and the WHOLE world knows. And they want to about legality now.

Giving a notice of 5 minutes to a family to evacuate a house is acceptable?

Not everyone who is captured by the Israeli forces is not even told of what crime they commit. Fathers and sons are captured/kidnapped, who's going to take care of the families? They've left the Palestinians in a state of despair and poverty. NOW, they want to talk about what's legal and illegal.
Who do you think is going to have the money to live in the "New Jerusalem" they're going to build? The young Israeli couple or the young Palestinian couple.

Hassan'76ers
04-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Israel will be defeated when the army of the black flags from the east come and liberates Jerusalem

Whatsthepoint
04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
Tell that to Israel. Do you remember that Gaza Massacre this year? Bombing hospitals is okay when Israel does it. Shooting family members who want to bury their dead from what Israel has bombed is okay when Israel does it. They shoot people who try to come back and claim their dead. Have you ever seen a dog eat your dead family member, ravaging at it. tearing it up. What had those families done to Israel? Israel has NOW attacked Palestinians civilians and the WHOLE world knows. And they want to about legality now.

Giving a notice of 5 minutes to a family to evacuate a house is acceptable?

Not everyone who is captured by the Israeli forces is not even told of what crime they commit. Fathers and sons are captured/kidnapped, who's going to take care of the families? They've left the Palestinians in a state of despair and poverty. NOW, they want to talk about what's legal and illegal.
Who do you think is going to have the money to live in the "New Jerusalem" they're going to build? The young Israeli couple or the young Palestinian couple.
The young Christian couple.

transition?
04-26-2009, 04:39 PM
The young Christian couple.
Oh I see.
"We are looking into affordable housing projects in east Jerusalem for young Muslim couples, young Christian couples. We have a new city plan. The first in Jerusalem since 1959."

The new city plan is possibly and theoretically (according to the source of the quote) meant for any couple or family that can afford it. That's how business usually works.

My point is basically --- not the Palestinian people. They no longer have a fair chance.

Whatsthepoint
04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
Oh I see.

The new city plan is possibly and theoretically (according to the source of the quote) meant for any couple or family that can afford it. That's how business usually works.

My point is basically --- not the Palestinian people. They no longer have a fair chance.
Israeli Arabs have identical rights to Israeli Jews and Israeli Christians, nothing prevents them from earning money.

and this:

"At Jerusalem's municipality, the new Deputy Mayor, Naomi Tsur, said there was a lot of hot air surrounding the issue, that all Jerusalem residents are treated equally. Illegally built houses are demolished in West Jerusalem too."

Here's the disturbing part:

"Osama Zahaika told us Israel makes it almost impossible for Palestinians to get building permits in East Jerusalem."

If it's true, then you are right, if it isn't, you are wrong.

noorahmad
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
identical rights!!! Israel is a rogue state, i shouldn't even exist!!!
the promise land?? i thought the UN were laic...

Uthman
04-27-2009, 04:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorahmad
identical rights!!! Israel is a rogue state, i shouldn't even exist!!!
the promise land?? i thought the UN were laic...
laic - do you mean secular?

Btw my parents are from Mauritius like you. :)

جوري
04-27-2009, 04:41 AM
as the saying goes 'al qawl qawl as'warim' there is no other way that I can see right now save for one.. to live free with honor or to die trying!

:w:

aadil77
04-27-2009, 08:30 AM

The article is fake!

or

or

exactly what I was thinking :thumbs_up reps

noorahmad
04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
yea like in secular!!
:P, dats nice, have u ever visit it?

Uthman
04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
:P, dats nice, have u ever visit it?
Yes several times. It's very nice for a holiday. :)

I wouldn't like to live there though.

noorahmad
04-27-2009, 06:32 PM
lol!!!! depend where ur living!!
do you talk creole??? i think we turning away from the purpose of the thread!!! :$

Uthman
04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
lol!!!! depend where ur living!!
The only things that I like about it are a) the climate and b) the beaches

Then again, the climate here in England doesn't really bother me. If I'm cold, I can just put a jumper on lol.

And regarding the beaches, they are usually full of men and women exposing their awrah anyway.

do you talk creole???
Yep! Sometimes my mum and I speak it to each other for laughs.

i think we turning away from the purpose of the thread!!! :$
Oh well. It's my thread anyway. :D

Whereabouts do you live in Mauritius?

noorahmad
04-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Terre rouge, its just outside port louis!!! Next time you come to Mauritius, you can contact me.
I don't like the climate, i find it too hot in summer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.