Whatsthepoint
04-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh please, the third thread!

salafy_masry
04-28-2009, 02:21 PM
sorry :X

Hamayun
04-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Even though its a repost... some parts of the vid are fascinating.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
The video is top class compared to other islamic videos, but it's claims are flawed.

جوري
04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Haven't watched the vids, but what is flawed?

Whatsthepoint
04-29-2009, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Haven't watched the vids, but what is flawed?
I covered this in another thread with the same video, the part that i got into is geography, the part about letters in the verse could be right.

جوري
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
you mean here?
http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...miracle-2.html

you haven't answered that question there either..

all the best

Whatsthepoint
04-29-2009, 02:46 PM
you mean here?
http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...miracle-2.html

you haven't answered that question there either..

all the best
Yes, and the thread I linked to in the thread you posted.
what I wrote there basically answers your question..
The (Kaaba, North pole)/(Kaaba, South pole) is not phi.
The video then draws some lines in a world map. It intoroduces a concept ofsolstice line which is supposed to be the edge of the map, maps are man made and the edge has no significance at all, this map in particular was designed to have London in the centre, more over, it was designed so Mecca would lie in a special point where its distances to the two edges would match phi, you can check a lot of other maps and the ratio will be different - and as I said, maps are man made and have no significance.

جوري
04-29-2009, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Yes, and the thread I linked to in the thread you posted.
what I wrote there basically answers your question..
The (Kaaba, North pole)/(Kaaba, South pole) is not phi.
The video then draws some lines in a world map. It intoroduces a concept ofsolstice line which is supposed to be the edge of the map, maps are man made and the edge has no significance at all, this map in particular was designed to have London in the centre, more over, it was designed so Mecca would lie in a special point where its distances to the two edges would match phi, you can check a lot of other maps and the ratio will be different - and as I said, maps are man made and have no significance.
I have no idea what PHI denoted in this setting, or how you drew your calculations? But I don't see calculations by your person to offer a viable rebuttal, your views seem as subjective as everyone else's, hence on the previous thread I stated.. 'hmmn interesting' given that anyone can come up with any set of values.

A flaw in my book denotes that you can (not simply theoretically) but data based prove the opposite as true..

I don't know enough about the subject to take either side, I'll stand in the middle since it is the only place to be when not sure.. Not looking for a miracle where one might or might not exist, and not offer a contrary contention just for the sake of it!

all the best

Whatsthepoint
04-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I have no idea what PHI denoted in this setting, or how you drew your calculations? But I don't see calculations by your person to offer a viable rebuttal, your views seem as subjective as everyone else's, hence on the previous thread I stated.. 'hmmn interesting' given that anyone can come up with any set of values.

A flaw in my book denotes that you can (not simply theoretically) but data based prove the opposite as true..

I don't know enough about the subject to take either side, I'll stand in the middle since it is the only place to be when not sure.. Not looking for a miracle where one might or might not exist, and not offer a contrary contention just for the sake of it!

all the best
The video doesn't show its calculations either so technically it is irrelevant, but anyway the quickest way to find a point the distance of which to one pole divided by its distance to the other pole equals phi = 1.61803399, is 180/(1+phi) = 68.753882.
So the point we are looking for is either 21.246118 N or 21.246118 S.
Kaaba is 21.4225 N, which makes it approximately 12 miles off.
That is if we consider the Earth to be a perfect sphere, which it isnt, I'm gonna try do the same with an Erath like elipse/oid, but I don't think the results will differ significantly.

Whatsthepoint
04-29-2009, 07:54 PM
This program, using Vincenty's formulae, shows that the ratio between Kaaba's distance to the south pole to Kaaba's distance to the north pole equals 1.63188334. which is not the golden ratio.

جوري
04-29-2009, 11:06 PM
The numbers seem to fall within a very tight confidence interval, I am starting to think that is significant.. 12 miles as per your calculations in the 2nd to last post is negligible ...

p.s whatever happened to Br. Steve? been ages since he's been on, he was very mathematically inclined.. I'd be curious what he makes of this...

peace

Whatsthepoint
04-30-2009, 01:44 PM
The numbers seem to fall within a very tight confidence interval, I am starting to think that is significant.. 12 miles as per your calculations in the 2nd to last post is negligible ...

p.s whatever happened to Br. Steve? been ages since he's been on, he was very mathematically inclined.. I'd be curious what he makes of this...

peace
It isn't negligible, at least not for God.

جوري
04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
It isn't negligible, at least not for God.
That indeed would be the case if God had stated 'look at the miracle of the Kaaba' but no such 'miracle' was mentioned anywhere.. this is what I'd classify under a 'sign' and indeed 12 miles would be negligible.. (that is still going by your calculations which I have to trust are accurate)

all the best

Whatsthepoint
04-30-2009, 10:38 PM
That indeed would be the case if God had stated 'look at the miracle of the Kaaba' but no such 'miracle' was mentioned anywhere.. this is what I'd classify under a 'sign' and indeed 12 miles would be negligible.. (that is still going by your calculations which I have to trust are accurate)

all the best
Ok.
On a side not, the Vincenty's formulae result, which is accurate to 5 mm, is even farther off than my calculations so its more than 12 miles.

جوري
04-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Ok.
On a side not, the Vincenty's formulae result, which is accurate to 5 mm, is even farther off than my calculations so its more than 12 miles.
see previous reply..

all the best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.