/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Going to college where there are a few Muslims

transition?
04-28-2009, 04:07 PM
I got into a couple good colleges, but not enough scholarships to cover the payment.
Those one college is somewhat mediocre, but is giving me a full ride (128k) and into the combined medical school.

A) my biggest weighing factor is avoiding using haraam money so I don't taint my entire education, I'll have practically no debt and once I do get out of school. There's no job worth going to hell for
B) the college is in the south, I think it's an excellnt oportunity for dawah opporunity to remove misconceptions of Islam.

But I really wanted to be around Muslims, but I guess everyone's test in life is a little different . I never thought I'd be strong enough to advocate for my religion. Honestly, I'm also afraid of discrimination.

My friends don't see it the way I do. They'll be going to challenging prestigious colleges. All of my life I worked to get into my dream school. As money is an issue, it's opening me to truly different opportunities. Perhaps the classes won be as challenging, but I don't think that'll stop me from challenging myself. If I'm giving up something for Allah (swt), and I think it might be out of my comfort zone, as I am not used to living in nowhere-near-a-real-city.

:/, I just need to know am I'm I doing the right thing, can Muslims understand the benefits of this new cultural experience in the South-Bible belt?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
sis, if you are headed for med school (insha'Allah) you'll have no time for friends or foe.. save it for your interim periods.. It is very demanding, and anytime you have free, is best invested in food and sleep... I know it sounds bleak but honestly unless you are absolutely gifted you'll need all your energy to study.. prioritize your needs, right now if you have a good route to get to where you want without residual guilt, then I would humbly advise that is the one you take and focus on your goal...

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

ayan333
04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
:sl:

^ she is gifted.Incredibly gifted i must say.

shes smart as heck,shes defenitly a natural and has suprised me with her Profound and insightful islamic knolwdge

you rock! MashALLAH

AbuSalahudeen
04-28-2009, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
I got into a couple good colleges, but not enough scholarships to cover the payment.
Those one college is somewhat mediocre, but is giving me a full ride (128k) and into the combined medical school.

A) my biggest weighing factor is avoiding using haraam money so I don't taint my entire education, I'll have practically no debt and once I do get out of school. There's no job worth going to hell for
B) the college is in the south, I think it's an excellnt oportunity for dawah opporunity to remove misconceptions of Islam.

But I really wanted to be around Muslims, but I guess everyone's test in life is a little different . I never thought I'd be strong enough to advocate for my religion. Honestly, I'm also afraid of discrimination.

My friends don't see it the way I do. They'll be going to challenging prestigious colleges. All of my life I worked to get into my dream school. As money is an issue, it's opening me to truly different opportunities. Perhaps the classes won be as challenging, but I don't think that'll stop me from challenging myself. If I'm giving up something for Allah (swt), and I think it might be out of my comfort zone, as I am not used to living in nowhere-near-a-real-city.

:/, I just need to know am I'm I doing the right thing, can Muslims understand the benefits of this new cultural experience in the South-Bible belt?
I'm from England, so I'm not sure how things work there in the US, but I graduated last year, and I have to say, its very important for University Students to have a good Muslim community around them, going to University is academically rewarding, and opens up alot of doors in your life you wouldn't likely to get without a University degree (by the will fo Allah). But there are sooooo many evils in Universities, for Kufar students its the last chance todo what ever you want and I'll tell you they literally go nuts. So inshallah be careful when choosing were to study, make sure you have a good Muslim community and try not to travel to far from home.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
04-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I go to a school where there's only two other muslims beside myself. One that's barely muslim and the other is so quiet you barely notice her presence. My group of friends and those that I interact with are all non-muslims. But since it's an all girls' school, maybe that's why I don't feel the fitnah?
But when I went to a mixed school, no matter how many muslims there were, it was hard to hold onto your imaan. I was young then, and stupid. Perhaps a muslim community helps, but I wouldn't know. To me, that didn't make much of a difference. So I guess it entirely depends on the individuals.

transition?
04-28-2009, 06:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnuFarah
I'm from England, so I'm not sure how things work there in the US, but I graduated last year, and I have to say, its very important for University Students to have a good Muslim community around them, going to University is academically rewarding, and opens up alot of doors in your life you wouldn't likely to get without a University degree (by the will fo Allah). But there are sooooo many evils in Universities, for Kufar students its the last chance todo what ever you want and I'll tell you they literally go nuts. So inshallah be careful when choosing were to study, make sure you have a good Muslim community and try not to travel to far from home.
JazaikAllah khair,

Thank Allah (swt), the school I'm going to is not really one of those crazy college towns. I don't think I'll really have to worry about drugs and alcohol and crazy parties. It's rather agricultural.. and religious I feel more alienated because everyone is involved with the Churches. :/.

I'll have a car and there is close community 60 miles away.

transition?
04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
I go to a school where there's only two other muslims beside myself. One that's barely muslim and the other is so quiet you barely notice her presence. My group of friends and those that I interact with are all non-muslims. But since it's an all girls' school, maybe that's why I don't feel the fitnah?
But when I went to a mixed school, no matter how many muslims there were, it was hard to hold onto your imaan. I was young then, and stupid. Perhaps a muslim community helps, but I wouldn't know. To me, that didn't make much of a difference. So I guess it entirely depends on the individuals.
You're brave!
lol, I don't know, my dream has always been to find a nice Muslim community and just live there.

transition?
04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
sis, if you are headed for med school (insha'Allah) you'll have no time for friends or foe.. save it for your interim periods.. It is very demanding, and anytime you have free, is best invested in food and sleep... I know it sounds bleak but honestly unless you are absolutely gifted you'll need all your energy to study.. prioritize your needs, right now if you have a good route to get to where you want without residual guilt, then I would humbly advise that is the one you take and focus on your goal...

and Allah swt knows best

Thanks for that really honest answer :)

Erundur
04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
have you checked there website whether or not they have a MSA?

I know there are muslims in North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee.

Woodrow
04-28-2009, 07:07 PM

If you are speaking of the school being in the Southern US, you may be pleasantly surprised at the number of Muslims and Moosques.

there are a very large number in Texas, Louisiana and several other Southern states. An overlooked segment of Muslims are the Hispanic Muslims. You will find them in most Mexican neighborhoods. Islam is spreading very fast among the US Hispanics and nearly every Hispanic community has a Mosque.

transition?
04-28-2009, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Erundur
have you checked there website whether or not they have a MSA?

I know there are muslims in North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee.
Yeah I checked. There isn't one.
I looked up the mosque and they have three. One of the websites hasn't been updated since 2007 :/.
I might give them a call instead, but I don't what to say, "Hi, just checking if you exist." lol.

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
If you are speaking of the school being in the Southern US, you may be pleasantly surprised at the number of Muslims and Moosques.

there are a very large number in Texas, Louisiana and several other Southern states. An overlooked segment of Muslims are the Hispanic Muslims. You will find them in most Mexican neighborhoods. Islam is spreading very fast among the US Hispanics and nearly every Hispanic community has a Mosque.
I'm from North Georgia, but this school is middle Georgia.
I just feel like my dream of being around a lot of Muslims is crushed. I've always felt I was the one who needed dawah and support. I feel overwhelmed that I would have to be put in a place where I'd end giving dawah, simply by explaining what I do certain things.
Maybe it's a hidden blessing. A chance to get lots of rewards. InshaAllah.

Yanal
04-29-2009, 03:09 AM
In a way sister it is good to not have friends or to know anyone there,because exams and homework assignments will be done in peace without people(friends) copying or threatening to copy. May Allah make things easier and some what how you want them to be. Ameen.

Btw how much does the scholarship cover?

transition?
04-29-2009, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
In a way sister it is good to not have friends or to know anyone there,because exams and homework assignments will be done in peace without people(friends) copying or threatening to copy. May Allah make things easier and some what how you want them to be. Ameen.

Btw how much does the scholarship cover?
Maybe I need the change of the scenery too :).
Plus, on weekends, I'm still only 50 -60 miles away from a very large Muslim community.
128,000 USD. :/ 4 years of undergraduate.

JazakAllah khair brother, you always have something pleasantly optimistic to say. :)

It's weird growing up. Sometimes you wonder how you're gonna reach Jannah and help solve all the problems around you :( and still manage to study at the same time.

Yanal
04-29-2009, 03:41 AM
Wow 128,000 with the scholarship?
You always have something optimistic to say:)
Awww JazakAllah *feels embarrassed* :exhausted

transition?
04-29-2009, 03:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Wow 128,000 with the scholarship?

Awww JazakAllah *feels embarrassed* :exhausted
wait what :/
It covers everything?

:)

Erundur
04-29-2009, 02:08 PM
wait what :/
It covers everything?

:)

Even if there are only 3 mosques in the area the fact that your school is being completely paid for and you do not have to worry about taking out student loans :( I suggest you take it. The interest that would of been compounded including med school would take YEARS to pay off +o(. This is a golden opportunity to start an MSA and insha'allah you can plan out many events. MSA is just not for Muslims but for people who are interested and want to know more about islam, this is a golden opportunity and I would take it if given the chance. The only other thing that I can think of not going to the school is that I do not want to be to far from my family. :crickey:

جوري
04-30-2009, 03:31 PM
^^^ excellent advise...

transition?
04-30-2009, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Erundur
Even if there are only 3 mosques in the area the fact that your school is being completely paid for and you do not have to worry about taking out student loans :( I suggest you take it. The interest that would of been compounded including med school would take YEARS to pay off +o(. This is a golden opportunity to start an MSA and insha'allah you can plan out many events. MSA is just not for Muslims but for people who are interested and want to know more about islam, this is a golden opportunity and I would take it if given the chance. The only other thing that I can think of not going to the school is that I do not want to be to far from my family. :crickey:

I won't be that far from my family. =) thank Allah (swt).

My main problem is that I suffer from weakness of faith. I don't think I could bare to live among so many disbelievers. It's rather than I need support of Muslim sisters in these times of difficulties. I don't even understand how I would be strong enough to give Dawah. It worries me on how I will guard my faith. That's the first thing I want, some easiness in my environment. I won't even be able to concentrate on my education if I end in depression.

S_87
04-30-2009, 10:52 PM

I won't be that far from my family. =) thank Allah (swt).

My main problem is that I suffer from weakness of faith. I don't think I could bare to live among so many disbelievers. It's rather than I need support of Muslim sisters in these times of difficulties. I don't even understand how I would be strong enough to give Dawah. It worries me on how I will guard my faith. That's the first thing I want, some easiness in my environment. I won't even be able to concentrate on my education if I end in depression.

you answer your own question, if you think going to a school where there are virtually no muslims and you will suffer iman-wise dont take it.

transition?
05-01-2009, 01:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
you answer your own question, if you think going to a school where there are virtually no muslims and you will suffer iman-wise dont take it.

Oh Sister Amani, I don't know. The other school scholarship, I have gotten two opinions of Sheikhs on =/. I checked Islam Q& A and it says scholarships that are lottery funded are alright as long as you're not advocated it.http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/20952/lottery
But my sister once asked Al Maghrib sheikhs and they said the money had no baraqah. :/ .

This school will let me finish early and it's small close knit system that my teachers and family have personally recommended for me.

Erundur
05-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Allah (swt) is the Doctor and our Faith is like medicine that he has prescribed for us, because this dunya is our sickness, every believer needs to take it every 4hrs in order to sustain their faith. In this case, your prayers, dhikr, lowering of the gaze, and search of knowledge can be your medicine to keep up your Iman.

Is your school at least diverse with different backgrounds?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.