View Full Version : Prophetic Hadith Eliminating Grief and Distress

muslima_byallah
04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
:sl:

Bismillah

A Precious Gem: Prophetic Hadith Eliminating Grief and Distress

Extract from the book: A Collection Of Wise Sayings

[Ibn al-Qayyim al-Jawziyya]

It is recorded in Musnad Ahmad and Sahih Abu Hatim on the Authority of ‘Abdullah bin Mas’ud that the messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, “Whoever was afflicted with grief and distress and says, ‘Allâhumma inny ‘abduk, wa ibn ‘abdik, wa ibn amatik,nâsiyaty biyadik, mâdin fiyya hukmuk, ‘Adiun fiyya qadâ’uk, as’aluka bikul ism huwa lak, sammaita bihi nafsak, aw anzaltahu fy kitâbik, aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqik, aw ista’tharta bihi fy ‘ilmilghaibi ‘indik, an taj’ala al-qur’âna rabî’a qalby, wa nûra sadry, wa jalâ huzny, wa dhahâba hammy(O Allah! I am Your Servant, the son of Your Servant, the son of your Maid servant. You have control over me. Your Judgment is executed on me. Your decree on me is just. I ask you by each name of Yours by which You have called yourself, revealed in your book, taught to any of Your servants, or kept as a secret in the knowledge of the unseen with You, to make the Qur’ân the spring (delight) of my heart, the light of my chest, the eliminator of my sorrow, and the remover of my worries)’ Allah, the Exalted and Ever-Majestic, will remove his grief and will change his sorrow into happiness.

It was said, “O Messenger of Allah! (Do) we have to learn these words?’. He said, “Yes, whoever hears them should learn them.”

The great prophetic tradition implies certain matters of knowledge, monotheism and submission, for example the supplicant starts by saying, “I am Your servant, the son of Your servant, and the son of Your maid servant.” This includes the forefathers of the supplicant until we reach Adam and Eve. In other words, the supplication indicates submission and full compliance to Allah, besides the confession of being his servant along with his forefathers.

It asserts the fact that the servant has no one but his Lord, His blessings and His graces. Whenever his Lord ignores him, surely he is a looser, with no refuge or support.

This confession means, I am in dire need of you, and I have no supporter or refuge other than you and it infers that the supplicant is submissive, obedient, and forbearing. He acts according to his submission to Allah, not according to his feelings of self-sufficiency. To provide help and comfort is the role of kings and masters, not servants. However, the actions of servants are based on submission, in order to reach the level of those obedient servants described by Allah, the Exalted.

Allah says, which means, “Certainly, you shall have no authority over My slaves.”(Al-Hijr, 15:42)

And He, the Almighty says, which means, “And the slaves of the Most Beneficent (Allah) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness.” (Al-Furqan, 25:63)

Submission

The correct meaning of, “I am your servant” indicates full submission, compliance, and repentance to Allah, as well as being obedient to one’s Lord and avoiding His prohibitions, depending on Him, seeking His help and support, seeking refuge in Him from evil, and finally being related to Him with feelings of love, fear and hope.
It also indicates, “I am your servant in all cases, whether young or grown up, living or dead, obedient or disobedient, in a good condition or otherwise (i.e being afflicted in the soul, heart, tongue or bodily organs)”

Moreover, it means, “I am all yours, both my money and myself”, for the servant and all that which he possesses belong to his master.

It also means, “You are the one who bestowed all those blessings upon me, so those blessings are really yours.”
It also includes, “I can’t act freely in that which you granted me, either my money or myself, except by Your orders, as no servant can behave freely except with his master’s permission. I can neither hurt nor benefit myself, and I possess no power (of causing) death, nor (of giving) life, nor of raising the dead.

So, if he really believes in all that which was previously mentioned, then he has confessed his full submission to Allah.

The sentence. “My forelock is in your hands”, means, “ I cannot act freely as far as my soul is concerned”. By no means is the servant in charge of himself. The master owns him, and he is weaker than any worthless slave whose forelock is in the grasp of a powerful and mighty ruler. It is so much more than that.

Whenever the servant of Allah confesses the fact that his forelock and the forelock of all other servants are in the grasp of Allah (i.e under his control), he will neither fear nor aspire to any wordly sovereign nor will he overestimate them, because he knows quite well that they are but subdued servants, whose destiny is controlled by Allah.

Whoever confesses this fact, surely will stand in need of Allah and whenever he witnesses the reality of other people, he will neither overestimate them nor exaggerate in seeking their support. In this way, his belief, trust and submission will be turned to Allah alone.

This is the reason behind Hud’s speech to his people when he said in the Quranic verse, that which means:
“I put my trust in Allah, my lord and your lord! There is not a moving (living) creature but He has grasp of its forelock. Verily, my lord is on the straight Path (the truth).” (Hud, 11:56)

The sentence, “Your Judgment is executed on me. Your decree on me is just”, implies two themes, the first of which is the execution of his judgment on his servant.
The second theme implies praising Him and that His decree is just, in addition to the fact that Allah, the Exalted, is the Dominioin, and that to him belong all praise and thanks, and that is the meaning of Hud’s words, “There is not a moving (living) creature but He has grasp of its forelock,” and also his words, “Verily, my lord is on the Straight Path (the truth)”. In other words, despite the fact that Allah is the Dominion, the Almighty and the Controller of the destiny of His servants as their forelocks are in His grasp, yet he is on the straight path.

He is the just one, Who overseas his servants’ affairs

justly. He is on the straight path in His words, His

actions, His judgment, His destiny, His commandments,

His prohibitions, His rewards and His punishments. His

verses are truthful, His Judgment is correct, and His

commandments are beneficial. He prohibited all that

which is evil and mischievous. His reward descends upon

those who deserve his mercy and grace. His punishment

descends upon those who deserve torment by means of

His justice and wisdom.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.