/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Regarding sadaqah...

KashifB
04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
:sl:

I wanted to clarify a couple of things regarding sadaqah.

I read a long time ago (can't remember which book) that Umar ibnil Khattab radiallahu anhu did not used to eat anything which was sadaqah. Once he did without knowing, when he found out he deliberately vomited.

Is this statement true? If so, what is the reason behind not eating which is sadaqah?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
KashifB
04-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Anyone???

noorseeker
04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Do you mean food that was meant to be distributed

crayon
04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
^Bro, I think the incident you're referring to is when he had eaten something that had been bought with unlawful money, not sadaqah.. Lemme just check to make sure.

Nvm, here are two hadiths, one I was mixing up with what you're asking about:

It has been reported that once Sayyidna Abu Bakr drank a little milk given by his female slave and asked her about it. She said : I prophesied to a people who gave it to me for that. Then he thrust the fronts of his fingers into his throat and vomited in such a way that his life was in danger. Then he said :O Allah, I pray to You for forgiveness of what remains attached to my throat and to my stool. In another narration, it is said that when Rasulullah (sallallaho alaihe wasallam) was informed of it, he said : Don’t you know that Abu Bakr does not allow anything to his belly except lawful food ?

In a similar way, Sayyidna Omar drank the milk,by mistake, of a camel that was belongs to Zakat fund. He thrust his fingers into his throat and vomited it, Sayyida Ayesha said : You are heedless of the best divine service. That is to be safe from eating unlawful food.
source

Of course, zakat is very different than sadaqah, and is given to prescribed people in prescribed amounts, so anyone who does not have a share in it is forbidden from taking it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
alcurad
04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
not sure about the story, but you can't take the alms/sadaqah if you don't need it, it's meant for those in need.

KashifB
04-29-2009, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
Do you mean food that was meant to be distributed
Food given in the way of Allah subhanahu wata'ala.

Yanal
04-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Do you mean haaram money?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.