/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interested in learning about Islam

ragdollcat1982
05-02-2009, 03:58 AM
Peace be up on you brothers and sisters,

My name is Stephanie and I live in Virginia (USA). I am a Christian from a Catholic and Protestant backgrounds. I right now am discerning either remaining a Christian or embracing Islam. In the fall I started covering and wearing hijab part time because I felt that that was what God called me to do and did not see any where in the Bible that it would conflict with my beliefs as modesty is commanded. I have had some postive and negative actions from both strangers and family. I have found that in hijab I dont get the stares from men that I do when Im not covered, even though I always dress modestly. I have read some Islamic literature and the Quran . I love that Islam is the only faith that says that all are equal regardless because of sex, race, and social status. I hope to learn more about Islam and see if it is where God is calling me to be.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-02-2009, 04:17 AM
Peace be upon u sister.

MashaAllah I'm happy to know that you wear hijab, which is great! And yes modesty is commanded even to Christians. Islam is the only religion that clearly states equality of all races Alhamdulillah.

I hope InshaAllah(God-Willing) you will come to learn as much as possible here on the forum. If you have any questions please do not hesitate :) Enjoy your stay! :D

Peace :wub:

ragdollcat1982
05-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Thank You for the pleasant welcome. I belong to a group that is an interfaith group of covered women and I was amazed to learn that even some Christian women wear the hijab and I just love my abayas!! :) I have been mistaken for a muslimah on more than one occassion and tell them that Im a Christian, but I am honored to be mistaken for Muslim as every one that I have met are fine decent people. Covering is not just an Islamic thing, all women of the Book religions are commanded to dress modestly and cover their hair in some fashion.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-02-2009, 04:31 AM
You are verrryy welcome! I've never met any covered Christians except nuns, which I have seen at my college. I thought that was verryy coooooool.

Abayas are lovely :statisfie. I love my abayas too :D lol. I hope you will be a permanent Muslimah :D
I agree it's not just an Islamic thing. It was commanded for all people of the book.

Nice meeting you!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Welcome to LI, ragdollcat. :welcome:

I have only worn hijab once, when I visited the local mosque together with other people from my church.
But I have worn it at home too sometimes, during prayer. I have found the fabric surrounding me during prayer strangely comforting. As of being cocooned in with God. :statisfie

'Abdul Rahmaan
05-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Welcome sister! Glad to have you here. :)

- Qatada -
05-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi stephanie :)

You might find these links useful in learning abit more on islam:

Http://islamreligion.com
Http://muslimconverts.com

Peace!

alcurad
05-02-2009, 11:17 PM
welcome :)

Zafran
05-02-2009, 11:48 PM
salaam (peace)

welcome to LI
Hope you find this site helpful :) :) :)

May Allah bless you

peace

UmmSqueakster
05-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Welcome to the forum and (hopefully) to islam. There's a link in my signature to a section of my blog that has a list of resources for converts and people interested in islam.

(there are also lots and lots of pictures of the fuzzy love of my life, my DSH Squeaky on my blog as well :X )

Strzelecki
05-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Hey.
Welcome to the forums, ragdollcat1982.
I hope you enjoy it here and have a beneficial stay insha'Allah.

I look forward to your contributions.

Enjoy the forums. :)

Dawud_uk
05-03-2009, 08:44 AM
peace,

what is it that attracts you towards islam and what is it that is holding you back?

perhaps then we could be in a position to help you more understand islam.

peace,

ragdollcat1982
05-03-2009, 06:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
peace,

what is it that attracts you towards islam and what is it that is holding you back?

perhaps then we could be in a position to help you more understand islam.

peace,

Peace brother,

What attracts me to Islam is several factors mainly the equality of all believers regardless of gender, race and social status. I particularly am attracted that the rights of women are explicitly laid out in the Koran and there is just something that has peaked my interest and attracted me to the faith that I cannot explain. I began to learn about Islam in my World Religions class when I was assigned Islam as my research paper. This was only a month or so after 9/11 and I reluctantly took it because nobody else would. Now I am so glad that I did. I find that Islam has more in common with Christianty than Judiasm does with my faith. What is holding me back is of course the beliefs that I have had instilled into me all of my life about Jesus and his divinty and his cruxcificion and some of the things he taught and trying to reconcile that with Islamic beliefs. Jesus taught compassion to widows and orphans and the poor, Islam does the same. Also the fact that I would have to divorce my husband and loose my son as my husband would not convert, he is happy in his faith, my family would disown which I am prepared for as I have never been close to them . I live in a region that is very Conservative Fundamentalists Protestants who would not hesistate to do harm to anyone Jew, Catholic or Muslim and if and when I decide to embrace Islam I am going to have to prepare myself for that. I have discussed with my husband about my interest in Islam and he asks me why I want to consider joining a faith that in the nations where its predominate has really bad human rights violations. All I can tell him is from my knowledge its more tribal and cultural practices rather than Islamic. My husband does not mind me wearing hijab at all and has been supportive and even bought me one as a Christmas gift this past year and that has been a help as far as making the transition to fulltime covering.

crayon
05-03-2009, 06:18 PM
^ Aww mashaAllah sis, you sound so sincere. InshaAllah whatever is for the best will happen, follow your heart.

idk
05-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Heyaaaa sis ,

Glad to see you're interested in Islam
Feel free to ask any questions.
Were all here for you :D

^^^
Yeah listen to your heart,
cuz even though its on your left,
its always right ;)

Yanal
05-03-2009, 06:26 PM
:sl:
Welcome to Islamicboard,inshAllah Allah will guide you to the right path. Ameen. If you want to listen to the Quran tryhttp://www.Quranexplorer.com

Dawud_uk
05-04-2009, 06:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
Peace brother,

What attracts me to Islam is several factors mainly the equality of all believers regardless of gender, race and social status. I particularly am attracted that the rights of women are explicitly laid out in the Koran and there is just something that has peaked my interest and attracted me to the faith that I cannot explain. I began to learn about Islam in my World Religions class when I was assigned Islam as my research paper. This was only a month or so after 9/11 and I reluctantly took it because nobody else would. Now I am so glad that I did. I find that Islam has more in common with Christianty than Judiasm does with my faith. What is holding me back is of course the beliefs that I have had instilled into me all of my life about Jesus and his divinty and his cruxcificion and some of the things he taught and trying to reconcile that with Islamic beliefs. Jesus taught compassion to widows and orphans and the poor, Islam does the same. Also the fact that I would have to divorce my husband and loose my son as my husband would not convert, he is happy in his faith, my family would disown which I am prepared for as I have never been close to them . I live in a region that is very Conservative Fundamentalists Protestants who would not hesistate to do harm to anyone Jew, Catholic or Muslim and if and when I decide to embrace Islam I am going to have to prepare myself for that. I have discussed with my husband about my interest in Islam and he asks me why I want to consider joining a faith that in the nations where its predominate has really bad human rights violations. All I can tell him is from my knowledge its more tribal and cultural practices rather than Islamic. My husband does not mind me wearing hijab at all and has been supportive and even bought me one as a Christmas gift this past year and that has been a help as far as making the transition to fulltime covering.
peace,

many of the things you describe are also matters i admired the muslims for long before i became muslim so i can fully agree with you.

now the issue of family is complicated, but you seem more determined to do what is right by God, not what humans want from you which is the perfect attitude to have.

now the issue you bring up about the divinity of jesus (upon him be peace) and the cruxificion, let me put it to you this way as i had this same discussion with a christian interested in islam only this last saturday...

look at the Quran and the bible, which is the true word of God and which is not? if you find the Quran is the true word of God then follow it with all your heart, if not then keep searching.

you see this gentleman said he accepted the Quran was more likely to be the word of God than the bible, even prefered reading the Quran translation than the bible as made more sense to him, but could never accept a religion than didnt believe jesus to be God.

so i tried to explain to him, he is putting his cart before his horse. he should look at the evidences then decide the truth from this, not already have a preconditioned idea of what is the truth and then look for the evidences to support it.

so if you look at it this way, if you accept that the Quran is the word of God, then it follows that the evidences from God show you the fallacy of jesus being God and you cannot follow this and it must be abandoned as a belief as the beliefs follow the evidences, not the evidences follow the beliefs.

peace

glo
05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
you see this gentleman said he accepted the Quran was more likely to be the word of God than the bible, even prefered reading the Quran translation than the bible as made more sense to him, but could never accept a religion than didnt believe jesus to be God.

so i tried to explain to him, he is putting his cart before his horse. he should look at the evidences then decide the truth from this, not already have a preconditioned idea of what is the truth and then look for the evidences to support it.
Greetings, Dawud

Thank you for your interesting post.
I have to say that I whole-heartedly agree with the gentleman you spoke to.

It is the conviction that Jesus Christ is God and my personal Lord and Saviour, which made me become a Christian in the first place.

Personally I have not found evidence to convince me that the Qu'ran is the true word from God. Consequently, no matter how much in Islam I may respect and value, I continue to call myself a Christian and to follow Jesus in the way I believe to be the right one.

Salaam :)

Bint-Al-Islam
05-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Hello there
Welcome to LI.. May u benefit from this site :)
May Allah guide u to the right path and open ur heart to Islam.. Ameen :D
What part of Virginia u live in if i may ask?

ragdollcat1982
05-05-2009, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bint-Al-Islam
Hello there
Welcome to LI.. May u benefit from this site :)
May Allah guide u to the right path and open ur heart to Islam.. Ameen :D
What part of Virginia u live in if i may ask?
Thank You sister. I live in Bristol, which is on the Va/tn border in the extreme southwest part of the state. I am about 2 hours south of Roanoke

جوري
05-05-2009, 04:50 AM
:welcome: aboard doll, I hope you enjoy yourself here

all the best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.