/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Soup Kitchen?

Grofica
05-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I thought i would post this under general because it doesnt really fit under any other subject...

I cant right now but when i get home (to bosna) i would really like to start a soup kitchen and maybe a coat drive or something similar (or any other ideas that people have)

I was wondering...

since there are so many people from so many places if anyone has ever done this or tried to do this...

if there is some advice you can give?

who can i petition to try and raise money to help people?

Whats a good way to get this "up off the ground"

my main goal is i would really like to DO something with my life. and i would like to help people if i can. If i can help a kid who cant afford a coat for winter or even if my soup kitchen idea would only be open for 1 meal a day thats still tons of people i could help.

I dont really believe in giving money. my experience (from the US) is that most people use it for booze and drugs. but i do believe in giving food and clothes. and try to always when i can.

any ideas to help my "project" along would be fantastic...

thank you.

~Grofica

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-02-2009, 03:26 PM
asalaam alaikum

Masha Allah thats a really clever idea, may Allah make you successful, ameen.

I think some good ideas are to get in contact with different charities, muslim and non muslim and ask them for some money which could provide a certain level of funding. Then you could also get in contact with the Masjids and ask people to give money to support the idea.

You could also ask people who are willing to get involved, maybe spending some hours of the week for the sake of Allah to help in this type of soup kitchen. You could even give some of this money that you get through charity (insha Allah) to women who want to help in charity by cooking the food, and then people can give food to the people outside of the Masjid? This way, you don't even need to rent a building. But if this isn't possible, you could ask someone who might have a building which they don't use, so you could borrow it and use it as the place for the soup kitchen.

Also, remember to make the istikharah prayer so Allah guides you and helps you to what is good. Keep making dua' to Allah that is a success.

Grofica
05-02-2009, 03:48 PM
yeah but where to start... i dont think i will get a lot of donations from the public...

I know in the states a lot of churches help with that but can i approch a Džamija for that? where to start... how to explain what i want to do... :-(

Grofica
05-02-2009, 03:48 PM
oh sorry a Džamija is a Mosque (spelling?)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
asalaam alaikum

here's a good charity which u can ask help and money from - its called Muslim Aid;

http://www.muslimaid.org/index.php/about-us/contact-us/

You can ask them for advice and even support, give some details of your project and make dua' to Allah that you get success in that.

Also, try to find out about which people you think could get involved, and ask them if they would be willing to do so. If you have alot of people who are dedicated, then you have money and people to go ahead with the idea insha Allah.

Yanal
05-02-2009, 04:50 PM
:sl:
Excellent idea. Do you go to college or University? If so ask the principal or a sponser to help you assist in setting up these things and distributing the message and inshAllah you will be succesfull ,Ameen.
:sl:

Grofica
05-03-2009, 12:42 PM
sorry i dont go to school...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to put together a nice propsal? I am computer savy but this is the most ambious project i have ever wanted to undertake and i really could use all the advise i could get...

glo
05-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Our church runs a breakfast every Saturday morning.
We have kitchen facilities available, but apart from that the project supports itself financially.

It started off quite small, but now it has grown to about 30-40 people attending most Saturdays. It's a mix of church members, non-believers, the elderly and some homeless guys.
There is no charge, but donations are welcomed.
Those who are willing and able give a donation, those who can't are under no obligation to give any money ... and there is usually enough money to cover the cost.

Another thing which is run by several churches in our town is Food Bank.
Several church have become a collection point for food parcels, which are put together for families/individuals who find themselves in sudden financial need.
The food parcels are put together from donations given by the public and by companies/supermarkets.
People in need are usually referred by social services, doctors, health visitors etc. They are given a voucher and can come to pick up their food provisions.
(Food Bank requires some serious organising and involves many volunteers. It is not something which could easily be done by just a couple of people)

Perhaps these are some ideas you could work on ...
Much will depend on the specific need on people in your area.

Peace :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.