/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Want to study islam AND get married...

Ali Ibn Mann
05-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Here's my dilemma. I have two strong desires...the first is to go study Islam overseas and the other is to get married. I sort of want both, but finances are the primary issue.

I'm currently in college about to complete my degree in philosophy (B.A.). I go to school full time. I want to get married before I complete ALL my studies because I don't want to be 30 when I get married. If I wait till after I finish my studies in Islam I basically will be 30 since right now I am 24. At the same time, where am I to find the money to support a family in the meantime?

Why is this such a dilemma?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sahabiyaat
05-02-2009, 06:45 PM
getting married at 30 is a big no no, so please dont do that brother.

get married.make sure you dont start a family just yet, so you only have your wife to support.Or you can explain to her family your wish to study further and she can stay at her parents for a while.

convert
05-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm in the same boat my man, except I already got the degree and money saved up.

Raudha
05-02-2009, 07:18 PM
:sl:
Postpone your studies for a little while - at least until you find a job and get settled with your wife - and then you can continue studying. There are plenty of part-time causes that offer Islamic studies..All the best brother :peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
05-02-2009, 07:23 PM
:sl:

you could study AND get married inshaAllah...

Banu_Hashim
05-02-2009, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
getting married at 30 is a big no no, so please dont do that brother.
Is it really that big of a taboo ? But yes... I do realise it's sunnah to get married young.

Intisar
05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Is it really that big of a taboo ? But yes... I do realise it's sunnah to get married young.
It depends, my Dad got married at that age. I think it's a cultural thing, cause in Islam age ain't nothing but a number.

To the op, inshaAllaah keep your options open and think about it which one would be beneficial for you. Studying and get married, or finishing your degree, getting married and then getting another Islamic degree.

You can even try taking some classes at your local masjid, or an institute (like Al Maghrib or Al Kauthar) whilst you finish your degree with a wife inshaAllaah.

May Allaah make matters easy on you inshaAllaah.

Sahabiyaat
05-02-2009, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
well it depends on how its viewed.It not a taboo as such but rather its for the benifit of the person.
Its bad (especially for a man) to deprive yourself of a partner for that long.

both the virtues of gaining knowledge and a pious wife are known.Its best to get them both at the same time.Knowledge will be available InshaAllah....a wife is more harder to get hold of :), and with your age just shooting up day by day,might not be such a brilliant idea to delay it!

just my thoughts.

idk
05-02-2009, 08:54 PM
24 is the perfect age ... if i was you i would begin your studies n settle down n then get married dat way ur wife will noe wat is goin on.

salams bro

Ali Ibn Mann
06-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Thank you for the advice, brothers.

How would I go about getting married AND studying Islam? Is that even possible?

anonymous
06-04-2009, 08:06 AM
:salamext:

Yes...Get married...and take her with you whereever you're going to study Islam?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.