/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Food Question

ragdollcat1982
05-03-2009, 06:38 AM
I was curious to know that if Islam forbade the eating of shellfish and seafood. I know that like Judiasm pork is forbidden and I dont eat that much of it anyway and I certainly would not miss it. Also is kosher meat permitted for Muslims to eat since that if I embrace Islam I would be able to get it more readily than halal meat.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
05-03-2009, 11:18 AM
All seafoods are permissible.

rpwelton
05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
I was curious to know that if Islam forbade the eating of shellfish and seafood. I know that like Judiasm pork is forbidden and I dont eat that much of it anyway and I certainly would not miss it. Also is kosher meat permitted for Muslims to eat since that if I embrace Islam I would be able to get it more readily than halal meat.
Shellfish: Majority of scholars say this is allowed.

Seafood: All seafood is permitted (with the exception of shark according to a few scholars)

Kosher meat: Yes, this is permitted for Muslims, provided that you trust the source. If the meat has been kosher certified then this is OK for us; kosher certification is very strict and therefor we can trust the major certifications (K, U, D). If you're buying kosher products, watch out for wine as an ingredient, because Jews can have it in their food, whereas Muslims can't.

If you have access to halal meat, however, it is better for you to buy it over kosher meat.

However, don't let dietary restrictions stop you from becoming a Muslim. It can be hard at first, but know that the sacrifices you make in this life are all investments in Paradise.

ragdollcat1982
05-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Thank you for answering my inquiry. I dont think giving up pork will be too hard to do. Seafood however is one of my favorite types of food.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mattityahu
05-08-2009, 09:17 AM
rpwelton,

What is the purpose of dietary requirements?

Yours,
M

format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
Shellfish: Majority of scholars say this is allowed.

Seafood: All seafood is permitted (with the exception of shark according to a few scholars)

Kosher meat: Yes, this is permitted for Muslims, provided that you trust the source. If the meat has been kosher certified then this is OK for us; kosher certification is very strict and therefor we can trust the major certifications (K, U, D). If you're buying kosher products, watch out for wine as an ingredient, because Jews can have it in their food, whereas Muslims can't.

If you have access to halal meat, however, it is better for you to buy it over kosher meat.

However, don't let dietary restrictions stop you from becoming a Muslim. It can be hard at first, but know that the sacrifices you make in this life are all investments in Paradise.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.