/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever...prayed outside in the city?

transition?
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Several cars screech around the corner near the stoplight. The sounds of faint honks and sirens from a distance enter our ears. Rubber tires and the feet of pedestrians grind against the withered tar. The drivel and shouts of a passerby and his accompanying friends unsuccessfully penetrate the air. Night creeps impalpably through the evening breeze.
As I walk out the door, my face tingles as sweat disappears and the wind touches my skin. First, looks of confusion spread on all the faces. Many of the noises are unidentifiable. As our attention turns to a melodious voice, the monotonous cacophony of the city fades.
Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar.

Above, the sky is a clash of two masterpieces painted on a dome. Strips of orange, purple and pink cover the lower half, while a chiaroscuro of blue dominates the rest. The four or five skyscrapers loom around us like unaware guard towers.
Ashhadu Allah ilaaha illa-Lah

People have begun stacking their shoes, avoiding sporadic patches of old gum and accumulated dirt. The only orderly pairs are lined up against the wall; the rest are turned over or pointing in random directions. The larger pairs are stuffed with socks, jewelry and even cell phones. My ears catch the voice of the mu’adhin again. Hayya' alas Salaah, Hayya' alas Salaah. In a sharp turn, I make my way to the prayer area, jumping over cast out heels and flats. Long cloths have been laid on the concrete for us. From around me, several smiles from acquaintances and friends greet my own. Within seconds, gleeful chaos is put into tight order. Three or fours lines form and all the familiar bodies fade into dim splotches of color. I find a stranger and a sister at my left shoulder. Her nose and chin protrude from her bright blue hijab – I cannot make out her face. The air is ringing again. Hayya' ala Falaah, Hayya' ala Falaah. The outside air captures his forceful voice well. The breeze does not fight the impact but brings the string of words far and out.
Like a falling blanket, the last moments of the day retreat. Despite the coughs, squirming, and few whimpers (of young children), people’s concentration is apparent. They know about the darkness that will come crawling and sprinting towards them. The only way to face the imminent troubles is to turn towards the Sustainer of the Universe.

Allaahu Akbar.

The world is silent, except the hearts of slaves.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
convert
05-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Yes, I pray whenever, wherever. Prayed along inner harbor Baltimore, right next to the docks. Prayed in Hartsfield airport in Atlanta, Dulles and Reagan Airport in DC. Bunch of restaurants in DC. Mall parking lots, etc.

I get looks from time to time but most of the time (99%+) people respect you. Just be straightforward with your Islam and it is the best dawah you can give.

I don't advise sisters to pray in public though but brothers have no excuse.

transition?
05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
Yes, I pray whenever, wherever. Prayed along inner harbor Baltimore, right next to the docks. Prayed in Hartsfield airport in Atlanta, Dulles and Reagan Airport in DC. Bunch of restaurants in DC. Mall parking lots, etc.

I get looks from time to time but most of the time (99%+) people respect you. Just be straightforward with your Islam and it is the best dawah you can give.

:sl:

Hmm, wow, I don't know how people pray in mall parking lots!

I think I prayed outside, way behind the library, where no one really parks their car, where all this grass was, but it was scary,as I don't like bugs!
It's usually in the car :/ if anything. But there are too many masajids where I live, so it's not really inconvenient to go the mosque.

crayon
05-03-2009, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert

If it's a choice between missing the prayer, or praying in public, I always choose the latter. Of course, praying somewhere private is preferable, but not always possible.

I've prayed in public several times, gotten a couple of stares, but it's mostly curiosity alhamdullilah, never any sort of hostility.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
11-18-2010, 02:26 AM
prayed everywhere .. last time my sister was praying when this car left an entire empty garage to park right next to ours so they can watch what we were doing it was funny..

:w:

Ummu Sufyaan
11-18-2010, 02:44 AM
^people eh :hmm:

i once had to pray in a park which was close to a beach. the sounds of the waves as they smashed the rocks were magnificent.

جوري
11-18-2010, 02:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
^people eh i once had to pray in a park which was close to a beach. the sounds of the waves as they smashed the rocks were magnificent. it was maghrib time so it wasnt that busy, and i didn't really notice anyone staring but im sure i got a few looks anyway...
I was about to be confrontational but didn't want to interrupt my sister's prayer so I came to the other side with my niece's stroller to block their view.. It is always good that if you are traveling with someone that one watches while the other prays... You never know what sick psychopaths are out there.. but I have to admit it is so freeing to fulfil an obligation on timeIyou know the times when i have no wudo and can't find a reasonable place as I have washroom hangups, and I am rushing to get home I feel just incredibly uncomfortable..

shuraimfan4lyf
11-18-2010, 03:12 AM
One time I prayed with few of my friends at the basement of a parking lot in a mall. We got a few curious stares from the staff and they asked what we were doing after we were done. Also one time I was praying in a office at my college, and one of the ladies came in front of me, and she started apologizing while I was still praying lool.

~Raindrop~
11-18-2010, 04:02 AM
It's an amazing feeling :D
On our road trip to Italy recently, the best part was Salah time. We'd stop off at a service station and make wudhu. My brother would give the Adhan and Iqamah and we'd stand in Jama3ah..there were 7 of us so we did get a few funny looks from the few people that were around lol- especially when we'd just got into this service station in Italy and they charmingly called the cops. It seemed like they'd never seen Muslims before :ermm:
It's such a wonderful feeling, hearing the Adhan/Quran in the middle of a vast empty place under the open sky, where it probably hasn't been heard before.

glo
11-18-2010, 06:28 AM
What about praying outside in natural beauty?

In the desert, by the sea or on a mountain top?
Ummu Sufyaan mentioned praying on the beach, for example.

What is the most beautiful place outdoors you have even prayed in?
And did it make you feel closer to God and his creation?

Ramadhan
11-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I have prayed in just about every public vehicles: cars, planes, ships, trains, buses.

Not counting praying in masjidil haram and masjid nabawwi, one of the most amazing locations I've prayed was in the middle of Australian outback. It was in the fall/autumn so the weather was kind of nice, pretty cold during the nights as the case with desert climate. The nights were totally amazing, when I was praying isha', the whole landscape was lit up by a full moon and millions of super brilliant stars.and I was standing praying on this big flat rock. I felt so small and yet so close to Allah SWT.

But the single most amazing "outdoor"sy praying experience was when I was doing this one tawaf around ka'bah during an afternoon last year. Until now i am still loss for words how to describe it.

أحمد
11-23-2010, 12:08 AM
:sl:

Yes, and this reminds me of a few occasions, when we prayed Jumu'ah at an open ground outside college, as at the time the college had refused to give us a room for prayer. There was ample space outside, and no complaints from us, but then the college decided that it was "in their best interests" to provide us with the appropriate facilities.

Several of our local masaajid have people praying outside at Jumu'ah, due to the fact that those arriving earlier usually stand "foot-to-foot" stretched, with huge gaps.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.