/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do a lot of Muslims live in your area?

transition?
05-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Are there a lot of Muslims in your area?

For those of you who say no, I have a few questions:
1. are you active in giving Dawah?
1b. Do you feel you have adequate knowledge to give Dawah
2. If given the chance, would you move to region with more Muslims?
3. Do you have mainly nonMuslim friends?
4. Do you keep close relationships with your nonMuslim friends? Or do you keep limited but open relationships?
4b. In the limited relationship, are you psychologically/imaan wise affected by those restrictions in your interactions with others, as they cannot fully understand you as a Muslim?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noorseeker
05-04-2009, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?

Majority are muslims

Only to a few friends

I cant read arabic, So it seems a bit odd , i do need more knowledge.

No , we have got enough muslims, maybe an area where there are lots of practising muslims

A couple a work

4. Do you keep close relationships with your nonMuslim friends? Or do you keep limited but open relationships?

Limited to work

4b. In the limited relationship, are you psychologically/imaan wise affected by those restrictions in your interactions with others, as they cannot fully understand you as a Muslim?
Definately affected, the guy at work is an atheist, but i do get him thinking,but hes determined we all turn to dust.
For example if he is having troubles, i cant say to him Inshallah. have sabr.
Have faith in Allah swt.

Ummu Sufyaan
05-04-2009, 08:12 AM
:sl:
not really

ermmm yes and no. yes cos if i see something wrong, i'll try to advice that person or something (even though i may not end up doing it)

nope

yep

no, i dont have many friends...just the way i prefer it :)

idk
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
:X

Yep, there are, alhamdulilah.
I live in the kensington and Chelsea part of London, so yep there are alot.

1. Eh...:exhausted noo lol.
1b. I think I could give basic dawah - the 5 pillars and things - i can argue for england tho so I have good debatin ability
2. There arent any places with more muslims than London.
3.Most of my friends are non muslims :-[
4.Close...help! lol
4b. Yeah..i guess.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
convert
05-04-2009, 02:38 PM

1a. Come eid time there are massive amounts. There were only about 10-15 at fajr this morning, though.
1b. Yes and no, situational dependent.

2. InshaAllah, there are better areas in the metropolitan area in which I live.

3. No clue actually. Don't get to talk to to many people these days.

4a. Try to, doesn't always work out that way.
4b. I'm not effected. They might be.

Al-Zaara
05-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Selam aleykum,

Depends, but simply generally no.

Difficult to say, adequate knowledge can be understood differently... Scholar-wise, no. But I do believe what I know, what live with, how and what I consider myself can be very helpful to invite people to Islam, inshaAllah.

It can depend, but no.

Yes.

Yes to the first.

nebula
05-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Nope there aren't many muslims in my area, i only have 1 muslim friend who lives near me and thats about it. I live in Essex which has mostly white people, some of which are racist.

I tried giving dawah to my christian friend, i got him thinking quite alot, he said he would go and talk to his mother about what i told him but then i didn't get a responce after that.

I don't have deep knowledge but i think ive got enough to give abit of dawah maybe.

Yeah inshallah when im older and have money i plan on doing Hijrah for the sake of Allah inshallah!

In college im the only muslim in my class, i wouldn't call the people in my class friends they are just aqquantences, i have a few close muslim brothers as friends thats about it.

Yeah i keep it limited, they talk about stuff that i don't feel is appropriate.

Alhumdulilah it doesn't effect me, it has more of a effect on other people because they ask questions, why u doing this and that etc etc.

Mysterious Uk
05-04-2009, 02:57 PM
There are a few.

For those of you who say no, I have a few questions:1. are you active in giving Dawah?
Slightly.. not enough though..

Nope.

No.. i am happy where i am. I mean, just because a place is highly populated with muslims, does not mean the muslims are all 'good' and practicing. Also, i know muslim people around here.

Yes, but with most of them i am not too close.

Mostly limited because they don't live near me, they have moved away to university's etc so i rarely keep in touch. But with a couple it is close, i keep in touch via internet or phone.

Sometimes..

Danah
05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
All of them are muslims....alhumdulilah, but to be honest, I wish I am living in an area with some non-muslims to be able to give dawah.

Those who live in non-muslims area are having great chance without them knowing, May Allah help them to spread the word

so I guess I don't have to answer the rest of questions, right sis?

transition?
05-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Thank you guys for your answers : )

noorseeker
05-04-2009, 06:02 PM
can any one tel me how to multi quote please. i think i did it the long way

The Ruler
05-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Yup. All nonMuslims.

Limited but open.

Not psychologically/imaan-wise affected. They understand what they need to i.e. my choice to wear the hijaab+jilbaab; my need to pray; the fact that I won't interact with boys (but since it's a girls school, I don't need to) etc.

Obiwan
05-04-2009, 08:25 PM

Yes. At a Russian site

Yes. Higher Islamic education

I am not sure. I am afraid, I'll become homesick.

I have Muslim friends and non-Muslim friends. All of them are swell guys.

Actually, I am mostly alone - sitting in front of my computer and working.

no! In our area people mostly estimate believers - both Muslims and Christians.

Woodrow
05-04-2009, 08:50 PM
No, in fact there are fewer Muslims in the entire North Central Plains region of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming (An area larger than the country of Pakistan) then attend Friday Jummah in any medium size Masjid in much of the world.

Yes, that is what most of my days consist of

Yes, in fact all of us do. We each give Da'wah simply by being Muslim. It is part of being Muslim, in a non-Muslim region. People here have never seen a Muslim. simply being visible as a Muslim is Da'wah as it helps initiate questions from people that have never heard of Islam.

I would prefer to live in a region with more Muslims. But, I feel Allaah(swt) sent me here for a purpose and as long as i feel I am living that purpose, I have no desire to move.

I prefer to think of them as being seekers. I get many questions about Islam and those questions serve many purposes. They force me to learn more about Islam and at the same time they help me remove some of the errors non-Muslims have about us.

We have no actual social relationships. Our relationships are more in terms of business, community planning, farm issues and property usage.

No, we find no limitations. The majority of the people we have contact with are native Americans of the Lakota and Oglala Sioux Nations. They have shown us very much respect and treat our practices with respect.

north_malaysian
05-05-2009, 01:29 AM
I live in Kulim Hi-Tech Park, Malaysia... about 60% of the population are Muslims.. the remaining are Buddhists, Hindus, Confucians, Taoists, Christians and Sikhs..

Among the Muslims, there are ethnic Malays, Indians, Bangladeshis, Indonesians and one Egyptian.

Among the non-Muslims are ethnic Chinese, Indians, Japanese and Germans.

Nope. But when my Muslim friends asked me about Islam.. I answered my best.

The basic knowledge - yes. If it's something that I'm blurred or dont know.. I'll refer it to someone knowledgeable..

Nope.

Most of my friends are Muslims but I have lots of friends from other religious backgrounds mostly Buddhists, Hindus, Agnostics and Christians.

I keep it limited but open relationship...

I have no problems because non-Muslims in Malaysia understand our religious restrictions... that's why none of them ever asked me to go to the pub... we always hang around the South Indian Muslim restaurants (known here as "Nasi Kandar Restaurant") because they dont serve beef (will make the Hindus comfortable), have vegetarian food (good choice for vegetarian Buddhists) and the food are certified halaal (that's for me):D

Yanal
05-05-2009, 01:41 AM
:sl:
The first one is a yes mashAllah so I can't answer any other questions.

Intisar
05-05-2009, 02:00 AM

1. I'm a walking da'wah, as soon as people see me they ask me questions and alhamdulilah I don't really have to do a lot of the work as me covering myself is interesting apparently. :X

b. I'm so so I guess, alhamdulilah I've learned SO much in the past 2 years. Seriously, I'd never imagine that I'd be like I am right now. Alhamdulilah whenever my co-workers kind of ask me about the islamic perspective on something, I can give them answer. But you can never get enough knowledge eh. :)

2. Yeah, alhamdulilah though I've had a great upbringing. I went to school with 80% Somalis and 90% Muslims, where we could always go to afternoon classes late because we were praying jum'ah at school. We actually used to hold jum'ah prayers at school and bring in speakers. We had a lot of campaigns about making more students aware of the food being sold at the cafeteria (some of them contained kanseer - pig - and nobody knew). And my whole area was Somali and Muslim, you could keep your doors open and nobody would steal or coming in and try to do anything to you. Everyone knew each other. You could hop into other people's cars, of course you knew them, and pray fajr at the masjid early in the morning.

I don't live in Toronto anymore, but alhamdulilah where I live now is just as great. Our Muslim community is active, though not as much. And the masjid is really close by me. Everyone's nice and sweet, and the hospitality here is just as great. The only difference here is in the numbers, there were more Muslims where I lived.

3. Nope, I don't really like being friends with non-Muslims (or close to them) because inevitably their actions will rub off on me. With Muslims there's more things I can talk about, you can be closer to them (ie. go to the masjid together, learn Quran together, memorise the Quran etc.). With a non-Muslim you can't be as close to them. And to me, I can't fathom the idea of being remotely bestfriends to someone who disobeys or doesn't even believe in Allaah ta'ala (not that he needs anyone to believe in him - alhamdulilah).

4. I don't really keep close with them, my bestfriends are all Muslims, mostly people I grew up with. Going to high school in the West really opens your eyes to how disgusting the lives they lead are: - alcohol until you can't walk anymore, drugs, fornication etc. Astaghfirullaah, I can't even wrap my mind around it.

4b. No, not at all. Because if I were all ~*honky dory*~ and ''woo hoo spring break'' with them, whilst simultaneously praying and asking Allaah for forgiveness, it'd make me a hypocrite. I give da'wah, but it doesn't mean I have to be close to non-Muslims. Some of them don't even keep it respectful, they just wanna be all stank and to prove your religion is wrong.

Those restrictions are set by me to protect my imaan. Otherwise If I falter in that, and I don't protect it, it's as if I'm saying it's ''okay''. Astaghfirullaah.

muslim soul
05-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Aslam alaykum

yes alahmduillah

no not realy only basic knowldge

what bit of knowldge i have i try to share

for me i live in muslim country but would say i like to move to better area were more talks are avalible

4. Do you keep close relationships with your nonMuslim friends? Or do you keep limited but open relationships?i have some none muslim friends but have limited time with them

well i have learned while living here in muslim country that alot of the time i would spend in masjid and round praticing muslim as i find it quite diffiucult at times to sit with non praticing for a number of reasons , one being i am the revert and they are the born muslim so think know better than me and think i am bring a diffrent islam subanallah , when alot are mixed up with biddah and culture subr subr thats all we do and dua for our ummah

Amadeus85
05-06-2009, 04:43 PM
There are about 30 000 muslims in Poland (or 25 000). But in my area there are none. They (Arabs, Pakistanis,Chechens, etc) live here ussually as doctors, buisnessmen, students, traders. There us also a small (about 5000) polish Tatar community, but they are dropping in numbers every generation.

Güven
05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
well...yes but most of them are non-practising.

only once in a while

only the basics.

yes, InshaAllah

Ive got a couple of (muslim)friends and a lots of acquaintances and most of them are muslim.

I don't have any nonmuslim friends.

see above

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.