/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Your my sister - shes not ?

Sahabiyaat
05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
:sl:

little incident that happend which made me think about the sorry state of our ummah.

My little sister, whos 13, has a somalin friend with whom shes goes swimming every Friday.The swimming baths she goes to is apparently swamped by somalian women, not leaving room for anyone else! lol. Recently, my sister told me that she was waiting for her friend to leave the changing room so she could use it, as her friend came out and she was going to go in, a somalian girl, came and held a long conversation with my sisters friend, in arabic.

Later my sister discovered that the girl had been asking her friend to let her go in first instead of my sister......because.......she is somalian and so should do her fellow somalian a favour....

her exact words were, 'your my sister, shes not'.

we are pakistani btw.

:) wow.So this is what the ummah has come to.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
05-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Perhaps it is just children talking.
Kids can be funny like that ...

Sahabiyaat
05-05-2009, 04:59 PM
If you understood the concept of brotherhood in Islam, that transcends every division, then you would understand that there is no such thing as a fellow being not being your brother or sister.

It might be brushed off as childs talk, im not even sure of the age of the other somalian girl, she could have been older, but the implications of her words are deeper.

What does she mean...? that someone who is not the same ethnicity as you, is not your sister?, and that help and favours should only be reserved for your own people?. Where did she learn this way of thinking.., from elders?. Why do even innocent children think like this?

To me it is deeply saddening

ok, lets just say its kids talking, but are you saying you've never seen this behaviour in adults? :)

Danah
05-05-2009, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Perhaps it is just children talking.
Kids can be funny like that ...
^Ditto
I cant imagine adults say such things +o(
children are funny sometimes.....dont let your sisters take that too personally, try to explain it to her in a better way, children in this age tend to form groups with each other like: "this is my friend you cant make her your friend as well" !! and stuff like that

lol, that bring back the old elementary school days :statisfie

even though, I think parents do have a role on this..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, it is saddening, sister. I am not saying it isn't. And I can understand that you are hurting for your little sister! imsad

But it could also be a good opportunity to teach those young children the true teaching of Islam.

Sahabiyaat
05-05-2009, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Danah;1137596]^Ditto

children in this age tend to form groups with each other like: "this is my friend you cant make her your friend as well" !! and stuff like that

lol, that bring back the old elementary school days :statisfie

QUOTE]

no no, its not like that
this girl didnt even know my sisters friend.She was just a random person and said this purely on the basis that the two were somalian and my sister was non-somalian. yet all three are muslim!

that is what is disturbing and sad.

idk
05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Thing is, not being particularly racist, but young somali children do tend to be very outspoken and alot of the somali girls in my class dont really know that much about islam...so you cant say its actually the ummah...if you think about it, though, these kids are only a couple of yrs younger than me so..theyre not rlly kids, are they? I mean, when I was 13 I could tell that that would be the wrong thing to say..

Lol, the pool i go to has about a thousand somali people too ^^
They seem to generally jus stick together, rlly..which is great for them lol, but gives off a kind of vibe that tells u that ure not rlly wanted.
I think maybe they think that other people will be racist to them, so they become kind of agressive. Not sayin all somali people, but the ones at my local pool.

Sahabiyaat
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by idk
alot of the somali girls in my class dont really know that much about islam....
really....so all those flowing abayas are for what :) culture. They seem to cover up pretty well MashaAllah,...i have always admired how somalian women dressed...i would have thought they would have some islamic knowledge and understanding to make an informed choice to dress like that....or is it enforced?

I dont mean to generalise btw. :)

l
format_quote Originally Posted by idk
lol, the pool i go to is has about a thousand somali people too ^^
They seem to generally jus stick together, rlly..which is great for them lol, but gives off a kind of vibe that tells u that ure not rlly wanted. Not sayin all somali people, but the ones at my local pool.

this is the sort of exclusiveness that divides us

Mysterious Uk
05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
You're perhaps overthinking the whole situation? At 13 years children do say silly things which (to us) can seem really quite bad.. I hope someone corrected that girl though, don't want to be growing up with views like that.

Sahabiyaat
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Uk
You're perhaps overthinking the whole situation? At 13 years children do say silly things which (to us) can seem really quite bad.. I hope someone corrected that girl though, don't want to be growing up with views like that.

Actually nowadays, a 10 yr old could outsmart you.So 13, is pretty mature turst me. Ive worked with kids.
yes! thats the very thing thats disturbing!
I dont think anyones going to correct her, least of all her parents!...and shes gna grow up thinking that way!.

People really need to stop teaching ttheir kids their cultures, and start teaching Islam!

idk
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
really....so all those flowing abayas are for what :) culture. They seem to cover up pretty well MashaAllah,...i have always admired how somalian women dressed...i would have thought they would have some islamic knowledge and understanding to make an informed choice to dress like that....or is it enforced?

I dont mean to generalise btw. :)

l

this is the sort of exclusiveness that divides us

Sis, theres a girl in my class, who dresses in long skirts, with jeans underneath, long sleeves and a headscarf...yet she goes out with boys, hugs random boys, doesnt rlly pray, etc.

Alot of somali girls have recently started taking off their hijab..dont know if its behind their parents back or if they agree..

I know that parents who grew up in Somalia are strict on culture and religion.
But a good many of them are great muslims, mashallah :statisfie

Exactly, and you feel outnumbered because there are quite alot of somalians, and even though im egyptian i am mixed raced/darkish skin, and often a somali sis will go up to me n be like

'are u somalion?'
'no'
'what are u den?'
'egyptian'
'oh, kk, bye den'

its like...if i was somalion, what difference does it make?!

And i think parents try to give their children 'somali pride' meaning they become so proud of being somalion it almosts turns into arrogance...maybe their parents mean well but theirs a fine line between good pride and arrogance.

This goes on in some other cultures too..

Mysterious Uk
05-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Then it is our job to correct views like that innit.

Najm
05-05-2009, 05:25 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Its a shame!imsad Because children learn from what they see. They see their parents or elders do similar things, and children follow.

People even in this day and age, show greater importance towards their culture, their ethnicity, and what their parents did rather than what Islam teaches us.

Islam does not show any importance towards cast. Islam is not meant only for the Arabs nor the Asians but for the mercy of whole mankind.

FiAmaaniAllah

idk
05-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Sis, if you try and correct it you may be labeled as 'racist', very wrongly, or sometimes they'll think 'who are you, my mum?'

So its important kids are raised to believe things like this from the very start, by their mums, so then they cant say things like
'ur not my mum' cuz she is, lol.

Sahabiyaat
05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Uk
Then it is our job to correct views like that innit.
Indeed.

Had i been present, I would have changed her views.

idk
05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
And how lol? Most kids are cheeky n will probly stare you out then burst out laughin n walk away. I know I did that alot when i was..ehm, little

:-[

Banu_Hashim
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't think that other girl was purposefully being mean and spiteful. I think she just wanted to get in the pool really quick, lol, and was using this as an excuse.

What did your sister's friend say to that somali girl ?

Mujahidah4Allah
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM

^ yeah i was thinking something similar... maybe it was an excuse so she could go in first...e.g. let me go in the dinner Que first because i'm your class mate... that type of think? noh?

wa/salam

Mysterious Uk
05-05-2009, 05:44 PM
we don't know the context really so we are just making assumptions.. Either way it still wasn't exactly right.. but i wouldn't read too much into it..

ayan333
05-05-2009, 05:45 PM

whooo Lets not stereotype, just ther day I saw a sister who is Hafz Quran (I wont say her ethnicity) walking with a boy,before you knew it he had his hands on her n even kissed her..don’t get me wrong, that was the wrong thing to say n if I was there I would’ve definitely let her no

And I do agree with sis Sahabiyaat,our ummah have taken race and ethnicity to whole new level’s see it all the time and trust me it does rub off fairly quickly. Kids see this from their family, community and friends so I’m not surprised at the comment.
Ive seen it on numerous occasions whether it be an African American, Pakistani, Indian, or arab brother or sister do it

N yes this is what our ummah is coming to…

:w:

Najm
05-05-2009, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

whooo Lets not stereotype, just ther day I saw a sister who is Hafz Quran (I wont say her ethnicity) walking with a boy,before you knew it he had his hands on her n even kissed her..don’t get me wrong, that was the wrong thing to say n if I was there I would’ve definitely let her no

My friend had a similar story as above quote, until i told him they were married! :X

Speaking in this subject of ethnicity..... I know some people who are married who are from different origins. <<< Do i care? Not a single bit, they are Muslims!!! Alhamdulillah!!!!

p.s. i wasnt being personal! I do apologize for any offence. :-[
FiAmaaniAllah

idk
05-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Me too, didnt really mean anything sis...forgive me if i offended u x

Lol yh maybe the girl was married...

ayan333
05-05-2009, 06:03 PM

lol i never said anyone offended me,sorry if i made it seam that way...n they are in high school n i no the girl...and yes ALLAH (SWA) knows best...but no problemo...we r all humans

ayan333
05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

Speaking in this subject of ethnicity..... I know some people who are married who are from different origins. <<< Do i care? Not a single bit, they are Muslims!!! Alhamdulillah!!!!

FiAmaaniAllah

sorry i dont get where you got that from? from my post?

sorry

Najm
05-05-2009, 06:52 PM

sorry i dont get where you got that from? from my post?

sorry

I just added that, not from you post at all. Just trying to state Islam doesnt care about cast.

p.s. i was just saying "sorry" if you felt offended!

FiAmaaniAllah

nebula
05-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't think its just somalian people, i mean mashallah my two brothers that i know are somalian and they are my muslim brothers very close and they see me as their brother, nothing less even tho im pakistani, thats how it should be.

Nationalism is haram isn't it, we're all 1 ummah, if you think differently about another muslim because of their race then that person really needs to self evaluate themselfs :S as a muslim!. Kids can be abit cheeky and that, my younger cuzens are very disobident sometimes, they won't even greet their elders with replys :S.

Something i heard on lecture called Dawah in the Park, the speaker said "If your white your alrite, if your brown stick around, if your black to the back, NO NO NO theres no racism with Allah!"

ayan333
05-05-2009, 07:05 PM

no need to,i undertand

may ALLAH (SWA) reunite the ummah InshALLAH.Ameen

Zahida
05-05-2009, 07:24 PM
:sl: To you all, from my very loooooooong experience i see this as communities sticking together..............I may be wrong but you go to different parts of the UK and you see the small little groups, whether they be Bengali, Somali or anything else........ This comes from lack of education from our elders, not teaching our children that anyone can be a Muslim............ no matter what their background............

A few years ago i had the privilege of reading Eid Salah at a masjid in B'ham and i stood with a Somalian lady,(her mehndi was amazing!) when salah finished i turned smiled at her and wished her a happy eid as i would to anyone else.........unfortunately the Somalian community were all looking for each other as were the Pakistani community, afterwards outside the masjid there were little groups dotted about Pakistani on one side and Somalian on the other................. It happens thats life!!!:w::bump1:

no need to,i undertand

may ALLAH (SWA) reunite the ummah InshALLAH.Ameen

AhlaamBella
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
SubhanAllah. Unity, unity and more unity. Look where we are without it

Muezzin
05-05-2009, 07:45 PM

little incident that happend which made me think about the sorry state of our ummah.

My little sister, whos 13, has a somalin friend with whom shes goes swimming every Friday.The swimming baths she goes to is apparently swamped by somalian women, not leaving room for anyone else! lol. Recently, my sister told me that she was waiting for her friend to leave the changing room so she could use it, as her friend came out and she was going to go in, a somalian girl, came and held a long conversation with my sisters friend, in arabic.

Later my sister discovered that the girl had been asking her friend to let her go in first instead of my sister......because.......she is somalian and so should do her fellow somalian a favour....

we are pakistani btw.

What if...

The other Somali girl was actually her biological sister? You know, her sibling.

Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Sahabiyaat
05-05-2009, 09:49 PM
omg

its like everyones bent on proving me wrong!!!

"their kids...its like a friend thing"...they were not friends!!
"are they sisters" they were certainly not real sisters!!!

"are they aliens" (just incase someone pops this one) ..NOOO! loll.

I dont think this was just a kids way of getting into a changing room.

Im talking about the roots, im trying to touch on the ideology, the concept of 'the other', which has no place in Islam.

:enough!:

:D im over reacting, becuz u r all so so so stooooopid and ....stoopid. blargh.

Sahabiyaat
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM

:X didnt have my medicine today....sowie.lub u really.

Re.TiReD
05-05-2009, 10:01 PM

Love it! :D

P.S Random, I havnt read the thread properly

Banu_Hashim
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
omg

its like everyones bent on proving me wrong!!!

I dont think this was just a kids way of getting into a changing room.

Im talking about the roots, im trying to touch on the ideology, the concept of 'the other', which has no place in Islam.

:enough!:

I understand what you're getting out. Islam has no place for pride and arrogance of groups against groups... I guess kids at an even younger stage (like primary school age) should really be educated about brotherhood and sisterhood in Islam. Without it, you loose your Muslim identity; and your national/ethnic identity becomes more important to you.

Banu_Hashim
05-05-2009, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafsah

Love it! :D

P.S Random, I havnt read the thread properly
I can almost hear his voice...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I agree with sis Sahabiyaat, yes maybe cuz she was a kid and she used it as an excuse to get in the pool. Maybe. But kids don't just come up with these ideas themselves...they obviously have influence from family...community etc...ppl they stay with more often...

If she's smart enough to understand using that as an excuse, then shouldnt she know theres no such thing as race in Islam? Most likely she hasn't learnt it. I'm not saying I know what happened, but anything is possible. So i dont blame sis Sahabiyaat for getting worried.

Allahu Alam tho.

Intisar
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
To be honest, I think the Somali girl only used race as an excuse to be allowed to go first, not that she is inherently racist. Kids tend to useeee things when it suits them.

I mean, perhaps the girl came over to your sister's friend and said "let me go first" and your sister's friend says "no", then when backed into the corner, the girl thinks of the first thing she can say to allow her entrance which, unfortunately for your sis, turned out to be the race card.
I agree, she might have been using it as an excuse just to go first lol.

Somalis are VERY LOUD and pushy, so she was just probably trying to get in their faster by saying they're both ''Somalis''.

Seriously though, I think we could say the same thing about Desi people, Arab people etc. We tend to stick to ourselves and whatnot, but at 13 years old the last thing she was probably thinking about was ''I'm Somali, she's not, let's try to make her feel ostracised''. Kids don't care, they do whatever they want to do. And like someone else said previously, they're cheeky lol.

Allaahu 'alam.

The Ruler
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM

Perhaps it was code language?

Islam, today, seems more cultural than universal. It's disgusting. -_-

Banu_Hashim
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler

Unfortunately. It's almost as if Muslims themselves have created this situation... Only in Hajj, can you see so many different Muslims all for one purpose.

The Ruler
05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Of course the muslims themselves created this situation. You can't blame anyone other than yourself for your own downfall.

FatimaAsSideqah
05-05-2009, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Unfortunately. It's almost as if Muslims themselves have created this situation... Only in Hajj, can you see so many different Muslims all for one purpose.
Yes its true.

Najm
05-05-2009, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler

SubhaanAllah. Islam is still spreading, and it will spread so much that, all the cultural aspects will become inline with Islam. It shall become universal.

The ones which are trying to make theis issue look ok, will continue the trend. But the ones which are clearly against the issue will solve it. And i am talking about us, one day we will all become parents, and we shall have the chance to teach the kids the wrong or the right.

InshaAllah, it will be the right.

FiAmaaniAllah

IbnAbdulHakim
05-05-2009, 11:03 PM
looool i REALLY think your reading too much into it

sounds like she was just desperate to change for some reason which caused her to say any rubbish which came to her mind

i bet she didnt even mean it

i doubt somalians are racist minded like that, i know quite a few who are amazing :D

crayon
05-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Perhaps we should all be making 70 excuses for this sister?

"If a friend among your friends errs, make seventy excuses for them. If your hearts are unable to do this, then know that the shortcoming is in your own selves…"

Ummu Sufyaan
05-06-2009, 09:20 AM

we are pakistani btw.

wa alaykum us-Salaam
i think a 13 year old should know better than to say things like that to be honest...if she was like 5 maybe...but 13, nah she should know better...right? it comes across as a lil offensive :)

SouljahOfAllah
05-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I know what you mean ukhti i get it alot too.
subhanallah its sad the way she word it as we are all and i mean every single one of us are brothers and sisters in islam no matter what race, colour or ethnicity.

I mean it wouldn be such a problem if it was coming from younger children say aroun 9-10 but 13 their teenagers and should know better not to act like this. most of the time it occures because of what they see and hear from home, but then again we much not fully blame the parents as there are still the few rebellious children which know what their doing is wrong yet still do it.

Cabdullahi
05-07-2009, 12:12 PM
the same happens in every community of the same nationality or race...

I was chilling with my pakistani friend,and because the area is populated with alot of pakistani's...they favoured him because apparently he's 'apna'? whatever that is

its a shame but the example above and sahabiat's little sister's situation,these things happen on a regular basis in our ummah......

dont blame the thirteen year olds! blame those who are old! the mother and the father(the parents)

Sahabiyaat
05-07-2009, 01:55 PM
thats why its goood to go into teaching.

i was working at my sisters school and there was a divide in the class between 'chachis' and 'mirpuris'...once again my sister and her friend were the only mirpuris and the rest of the girls were chachis, and youd always get insults flying around, until i had enough and had to to give um a bit of a tounge whipping.

im a mean teacher. :X

Sahabiyaat
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
they favoured him because apparently he's 'apna'? whatever that is
apna means 'my own', meaning from my own people.

Abu Sukkar
05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
On Hajj we went to our tent in Mina to find that some bengali uncles had ripped our offical sticker off and written thier own group name on.

They took the whole tent and some had air beds!

We were 15 brothers and had to use the room that 4/5 would have normally used.

We had some bengali brothers with us and the uncles said 'wait till they go for salah we will throw all thier things out'!

This is all during Hajj!! We in Ihram!!

The uncles didnt like the fact that the bengali brothers were with us.

One of them got free food and couldnt eat it all so his friend said 'Why dont you offer it to anyone who wants it?' to which the bloke said 'But they not all bengali!!'

Took them 2 days to accept us.

Alhumdolilah Allah tested us and every brother with us was nothing but respectful and patient.

Yanal
05-07-2009, 03:45 PM
That is shocking but like Alpha Sr said she was probably getting cold and was using her race and her the other somialian girl to get warm.

witness
05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Aslmkm

It is worrying.....Biologically 13 is old enough to be a parent. That says a lot.

If these issues aren't raised and taken notice of ...the ummahs not going anywhere...

(:(....except maybe down...)

Cabdullahi
05-07-2009, 11:33 PM
thats why its goood to go into teaching.

i was working at my sisters school and there was a divide in the class between 'chachis' and 'mirpuris'...once again my sister and her friend were the only mirpuris and the rest of the girls were chachis, and youd always get insults flying around, until i had enough and had to to give um a bit of a tounge whipping.

im a mean teacher. :X
So where were the mighty pathans sitting?.....you dont wanna mess with them :raging:

Sahabiyaat
05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
oh the pathans/chachis are fiesty creatures man!, really hot blooded people. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.