/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I'm very worried that my daughter will not follow Islam

innocent
05-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I have twin teenage daughters 13yrs. One of them wears hijab but the other one doesnt. The hijabi one knows how to pray and is trying to get into the habit but the other one is very reluctant. I watch islamic programs and make her sit with me but she doesnt take any notice of the things which are advised. She questions everything to the tiniest detail and says why do we have to do this and its not fair that we cant do so and so.
I know its partly my fault for not teaching her when she was younger and for not following it myself. I only started following Islam last Ramadan. Shes very rebellious and stubborn very strong willed. She says she wants to do music as one of her subjects when they have to choose their options. I've told her its haram but she says she likes it and wants to do it and will do it. I pray for her with every salah. What else can i do?
Jazakallah khair for any advice.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
05-07-2009, 03:46 PM
This must be very hard for you.
But remember that many children at that age rebel and leave 'the ways of their parents'. Often they return when they have reached adulthood or when they have children themselves.
Sooner or later you will have to let her go her own way and make her own decisions - and at theat point all you can do is be a good role model yourself and pray.

I would suggest to go gently with your daughter and not to pressurise her - otherwise she may come to resent Islam and you.

Try not to fell guilty about not having followed your religion too well until recently. You are doing your best you can now.
Remember that we are all in God's hands, and that your daughter is under God's protection and love.

I hope all goes well for you all. :)

Peace

Yanal
05-07-2009, 03:52 PM
:sl:
You are lucky that you have one trying,make the hajabi one try to pray near the other one or tell her to tell you if your praying and inshAllah she will be a proper muslim.

Example: Y=You,H=hijabi one and OO=other one
Your in the kitchen while both twins are in the living room and the azaan goes on. H gets up and tells you "Mama Im going to pray" OO will feel a little jelous but soon after she might even pray.

Snowflake
05-07-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure how effective this will be but I do believe that the best way to get someone to do anything is to lead by example. OK, I'm not exactly a teenager and I pray five times a day, but after months of seeing my mother pray Ishraq and Chasht, I began to get interested in praying them myself. And recently, I started to.

I also have an eleven year old son, who prays salah and knowing that I pray Tahajjud (though missed out last week) started asking me to wake him up for Tahajjud prayer. SubhanAllah! Of course it got too much for him but at least he wants to. Alhumdulillah.

So, other than teaching your daughter the importance of salah from the Quran and Hadiths, make sure she knows when it's time to pray and sees you and her sister praying. Also offer your prayers with the daughter who prays. Sooner or later, your daughter will start to feel left out, guilty and inshaAllah genuinely interested when she sees how happy and positive you feel after praying.

But be patient. It could be weeks, months and even years before she starts following your example. Most of all, pray to Allah to guide your daughter to practicing Islam.

Oh and as for music, I'd say, let your daughter take part in it as part of her school activities. Hopefully once she leaves school that will be the end of it. Being too hard on kids can have undesired results.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dawud_uk
05-08-2009, 06:46 AM
:sl: sister,

i'll be honest it is not the detail she is questioning but islam itself, if she had firm belief in islam and its coming from Allah she would not question like this.

please view this talk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zujZpMe8wDE

you need to go back to basics, ask her simply does she believe in Allah? make sure she does properly and understands what this means and not just saying it to please you.

then clarify does she believe this man muhammad (saws) came with a message from Allah and didnt speak from his own desires?

if she accepts that then teach her on that basis.

idk
05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Youre describing me, around four years ago..sis I was worse, i started questioning from 9!
I drove my dad crazy, had alot of sleepless nights, cried no end, and trust me it made me grow up fast, but I got there in the end.

Sis one thing you shouldnt do:

Dont ever, ever shout at her or hit her.
She will follow, in time, it may take months or years, but she will get there in her own time.
Dont ever try and rush her into anything.

Teach her slowly, make sure she meets muslim friends, and let her take music. Go back to step 1 as said before..teach her the 5 pillars, etc.
To this day I am still recovering from that time (9-12) when I wasnt sure of Islam. But slowly Im building and striving til i get a rock solid iman, inshallah.

Pray for me inshallah.

Ill keep her in my prayers, you must understand shes going through more than you are. Pray for her, cuz a mums dua is answered, and be very, very ,very patient.

Salams zx

mathematician
05-08-2009, 06:13 PM
salamu 'alaykum sister-in-Islam,
I think you should have her receive lessons on Islam by your local imam. Check out your local mosque, they must have weekly or monthly lessons for children or teenagers.
Sometimes children just don't learn from their parents. You are the mother so maybe she will take a scholar more seriously and that could be the trick here.

YusufNoor
05-09-2009, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
I have twin teenage daughters 13yrs. One of them wears hijab but the other one doesnt. The hijabi one knows how to pray and is trying to get into the habit but the other one is very reluctant. I watch islamic programs and make her sit with me but she doesnt take any notice of the things which are advised. She questions everything to the tiniest detail and says why do we have to do this and its not fair that we cant do so and so.

MashAllah, you have 2 daughters, May Allah guide you, them and the rest of us!

I know its partly my fault for not teaching her when she was younger and for not following it myself. I only started following Islam last Ramadan. Shes very rebellious and stubborn very strong willed. She says she wants to do music as one of her subjects when they have to choose their options. I've told her its haram but she says she likes it and wants to do it and will do it. I pray for her with every salah. What else can i do?

ask your daughter if she knew that some Surah's in the Qur'an have their own music in them. ask her to learn to recite Surat Al Qadr. then ask her to really feel it.

:sl:

Peace Sister,

i'll let you in on a little secret, it's in Surat Al Khaf:

66:
Muhsin Khan: Musa (Moses) said to him (Khidr) "May I follow you so that you teach me something of that knowledge (guidance and true path) which you have been taught (by Allah)?"
67:
Muhsin Khan: He (Khidr) said: "Verily! You will not be able to have patience with me!
68:
Muhsin Khan: "And how can you have patience about a thing which you know not?"
69:
Muhsin Khan: Musa (Moses) said: "If Allah will, you will find me patient, and I will not disobey you in aught."
70:
Muhsin Khan: He (Khidr) said: "Then, if you follow me, ask me not about anything till I myself mention it to you."
71:
Muhsin Khan: So they both proceeded, till, when they embarked the ship, he (Khidr) scuttled it. Musa (Moses) said: "Have you scuttled it in order to drown its people? Verily, you have committed a thing "Imra" (a Munkar - evil, bad, dreadful thing)."
72:
Muhsin Khan: He (Khidr) said: "Did I not tell you, that you would not be able to have patience with me?"
73:
Muhsin Khan: [Musa (Moses)] said: "Call me not to account for what I forgot, and be not hard upon me for my affair (with you)."
74:
Muhsin Khan: Then they both proceeded, till they met a boy, he (Khidr) killed him. Musa (Moses) said: "Have you killed an innocent person who had killed none? Verily, you have committed a thing "Nukra" (a great Munkar - prohibited, evil, dreadful thing)!"

75:
Muhsin Khan: (Khidr) said: "Did I not tell you that you can have no patience with me?"
76:
Muhsin Khan: [Musa (Moses)] said: "If I ask you anything after this, keep me not in your company, you have received an excuse from me."
77:
Muhsin Khan: Then they both proceeded, till, when they came to the people of a town, they asked them for food, but they refused to entertain them. Then they found therein a wall about to collapse and he (Khidr) set it up straight. [Musa (Moses)] said: If you had wished, surely, you could have taken wages for it!"
78:
Muhsin Khan: (Khidr) said: "This is the parting between me and you, I will tell you the interpretation of (those) things over which you were unable to hold patience.
79:
i didn't post the whole story, but you see here that Musa, Alayhe Salaam, was directed by Allah, Subhanahu wa Ta' Aala to seek knowledge. upon meeting Al Qhidr, Musa was given just 1 command, "ask me not about anything till I myself mention it to you." you see Musa , Alayhe Salaam just HAD to question things! and notice that he didn't think anything was fair either! :)

Musa, Alayhe Salaam, was NOT able to refrain from asking questions! one of the 5 greatest Prophets of Allah! so questioning things isn't always bad. maybe you need to find a sister that has the ability to answer her questions!

maybe try to be more in tune with her and find stuff that she likes. i, personally, would point out the woman in hijabs whenever you go out. i would remind her that we KNOW those woman believe in Allah! they might not be perfect, but at least we know they have Shahadah.

i usually recommend LISTENING to Seerah and other lectures. like these:

here is the link for some Bashar Shala lectures:

stories from Surah al Kahf. please listen to the Man of the 2 gardens:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me..._Surah_Al-Kahf

Bashar also has a near complete Seerah here [missing some pre-Islamic info]:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...+Prophet+(pbuh)

and a series on the Khulafa Rashida:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...ulafah+Rashida

and on the 4 Imams and Islamic Jurisprudence:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...The+Four+Imams

on the Sahabah:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...ba+Rasul-Allah

and the Taba'een:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...y%2FTabi%27een

there is a Reflections on the Stories of the Qur'an, of which the Surat Al Kahf is a part, that goes over the Prophets, AS, in the Quran:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...ories+of+Quran

of which my wife really likes the series on Surah Yusuf:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me..._Prophet+Yusuf

there's even a small section on the Abbassids:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...y%2FBani+Abbas

and the Ummayyids:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...2FBani+Umayyah

he is also redoing the Seerah, it follows the Reflections on the Stories of the Qur'an section. it also contains the missing stuff from the other Seerah:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...an_Nabawi+(saw)

Brother Bashar is a Cardiologist as well as student of Islamic Studies. he is a humble man who has asked to remind others that he is "not a scholar, just an ordinary Muslim!" we would blessed to have more such Muslims among us!

i've listen to his Seerah a a good deal of the part on the Khulifa, they are very heart moving! i hope that you give them a listen and that, In Sha'a Allah, you benefit from them.

i find the Seerah VERY moving as well as the stories of the Kalipha Rashida!

i also recommend Jamaal Zarabozo's 28 lectures on Al Fatihah:

http://www.kalamullah.com/al-fatihah.html

and these lectures by Dr. Bilal Philips [although i have yet to listen to "The Golden Chain"]:

http://www.alghurabaa.org/lectures/bilal-philips/

Alhumdulillah, there's a ton of good stuff out there!

May Allah make BOTH of you daughters SCHOLARS of our Deen!

:w:

ragdollcat1982
05-09-2009, 04:00 AM
I being a non Muslim do not know what to tell you, but I will keep your daughter in my prayers. It is not uncommon for children of even the most devout parents of any religion to rebell and try and find their own way. I understand that you want your daughter to grow up in your faith. Just keep praying.

Grace Seeker
05-09-2009, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
Well, you can beat yourself up over having not taught her when she was younger and not following it yourself, or you can decide to do something about it. I suggest, that if it is really important to you, try the latter.

You don't say the age of your daughter, but all children regardless of age or even disposition seek a few things from their parents. And, though we may not feel it is the case, they even pay attention to us looking for these things:

1) our love, attention, and respect
2) guidance (yes, even your rebellious daughter is looking to you for guidance)
3) proof that a particular way of life works or that it doesn't work

And because all children also want to be their own person, they will also rebel at some stage (even your daughter who is learning all of the things you want her to will at sometime in someway act to set herself apart from you and as her own person). So, given that don't get too awfully concerned about the rollercoaster of parenting. It generally evens out over time. But for your immediate goals, I suggest that you simply live a genuine lifestyle before her that reflects your values, and that encourages her in those that you wish for her to adopt, but that doesn't demand.

Ask yourself what you want in 20 years:

A daughter who sought her own place in this world so much that when her mother tried to cram something that she herself didn't believe down her throat that she rebelled so much she ran away from it and would have nothing to do with it.

OR

A daughter who didn't buy into the things and decision that her mother adopted (probably to your daughter as an out of the blue change in her life), but that she also saw make a real change in her mother that brought peace and serenity into her home so that it raised her interest in what this new thing in her mother's life was. Thereby leading her to investigate it at the point in her adult life where she once again realized she needed her mother's counsel.

I don't know that those are your only options, but I suspect they are the two most likely scenarios, and you (not your daughter) get to decide which of them you will set in motion.

Good luck and peace be with you.

BTW, I write this as a father or both and son and a daughter. My daughter followed my lifestyle, but my son questioned it and rebelled. Recently, at the age of 27, he has called me up with questions indicated that he is seeking answers in his life that he thinks that perhaps his dad might have afterall. I think that is because I was consistent in encouraging him, but always left it ultimately as his decision to make. Afterall, even as a parent I can't force my child to believe in something they don't believe for themselves. I can make them go through the motions, at least until they move out of the house, but if they don't adopt those behaviors as a result of believing them for themselves, they will never really own nor practice them as an adult. And though it might have appeared to the rest of the world that I was raising childrend, I wasn't, My goal as a parent was really to raise mature and responsible adults.

Just a thought.

innocent
05-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Jazakallah khair to everyone who gave advice.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.