/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shaytan the third person?

innocent
05-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I work in a closed office with a security activated door. In the office with me is one female colleague. My boss is a man and he sometimes comes in to our office as expected as he is our boss. Sometimes when my colleague has gone to the restroom my boss might come in for something. What should i do in this situation?

Also when my colleague is off sick or on holiday we have an agency temp to cover her shift and the temp may be a male. So I have to work with him in this closed office for a whole day. What can I do in this situation.
Jazakallah khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
05-08-2009, 11:47 AM
sister buy a taser gun....

'Abd-al Latif
05-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Explain to him your situation and tell him that as a Muslim you cannot be alone with a male.

innocent
05-08-2009, 12:04 PM
To a non-muslim I know that would sound ridiculous and I dont think it would work anyway. If they need to cover her shift and the only person they can find is a male do you realy think they are gonna leave her shift uncovered?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
05-08-2009, 12:15 PM
If any of the male colleagues abuses you, report them

crayon
05-08-2009, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
To a non-muslim I know that would sound ridiculous and I dont think it would work anyway. If they need to cover her shift and the only person they can find is a male do you realy think they are gonna leave her shift uncovered?
Perhaps you could offer to look for a female to cover for her when she's not there? Then try to find one, of course.

Whatsthepoint
05-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Women should be expected to work with male coworkers regardless of their religion or whatever, a considerate employer would of course try to cater to his employees' wishes, but should not be obliged to do so, or in other words, the refusal to work with the opposite sex should be a sufficient ground to terminate one's job.

Thinker
05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I work in a closed office with a security activated door. In the office with me is one female colleague. My boss is a man and he sometimes comes in to our office as expected as he is our boss. Sometimes when my colleague has gone to the restroom my boss might come in for something. What should i do in this situation?

Also when my colleague is off sick or on holiday we have an agency temp to cover her shift and the temp may be a male. So I have to work with him in this closed office for a whole day. What can I do in this situation.
Jazakallah khair.
When you applied for the job and was interviewed did you explain that you could not be left alone with a male colleague? If you did not, you either live with it or resgin; to go to your employer afterwards and complain would be dishonourable (IMHO).

innocent
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
When I applied I was not practising.

innocent
05-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Resigning is not an option as my husband has been out of work for more than 2 and half years and we are already struggling with only one wage. In this recession there is no chance of finding another suitable job.

S_87
05-08-2009, 01:13 PM
TBH sister if you live in a Western country, then you have to expect mixing in the work place like this.

innocent
05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
It doesnt bother me on a personal level. I'm just concerned about what islam says about it.
I know I'm not in any danger.

Thinker
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
It doesnt bother me on a personal level. I'm just concerned about what islam says about it.
I know I'm not in any danger.
I would like to know what Islam says about this (what Islam says not what Muslim's say) and I would like to know the verse(s) used that is interpretted to suggest that a woman should not work with men or work alone with men. If there is no verse and it is an hadith please supply the name of the author.

'Abd-al Latif
05-09-2009, 05:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
I would like to know what Islam says about this (what Islam says not what Muslim's say) and I would like to know the verse(s) used that is interpretted to suggest that a woman should not work with men or work alone with men. If there is no verse and it is an hadith please supply the name of the author.
From IslamQA:

It is permissible for a woman to go out of her house for work, but that is subject to certain conditions. If they are met, it is permissible for her to go out. They are:

• That she needs to work in order to acquire the money she needs, as in your case.
  • The work should be suited to the nature of woman, such as medicine, nursing, teaching, sewing, and so on.
  • The work should be in a place that is only for women, and there should be no mixing with non-mahram men.
  • Whilst at work she should observe complete shar’i hijab.
  • Her work should not lead to her travelling without a mahram
  • Her going out to work should not involve committing any haraam action, such as being alone with the driver, or wearing perfume where non-mahrams can smell it.
  • That should not lead to her neglecting things that are more essential for her, such as looking after her house, husband and children.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen said: The field in which a woman works should be only for women, such as if she works in teaching girls, whether in administration or technical support, or she works at home as a seamstress sewing clothes for women and so on. As for working in fields that are for men, this is not permissible for her because it requires her to mix with men, which is a great fitnah (source of temptation and trouble) and should be avoided. It should be noted that it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I have not left behind me any fitnah that is more harmful to men than women; the fitnah of the Children of Israel had to do with women.” So the man should keep his family away from places of fitnah and its causes in all circumstances. End quote.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah (2/981)

ragdollcat1982
05-09-2009, 08:59 AM
My advice would be that if you must work with him, then keep the door open, observe full hijab, which I assume you do and explain to the man that you are not being a snob it is just that in your religion you do not have physical contact with men whom you are not married/related too. Keep converstation professional and brief.

innocent
05-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I cannot keep a security door open all day.

aadil77
05-10-2009, 10:10 AM
If it feels awkward then try and look busy so they don't get a chance to speak to you or just leave the office at the time the boss enters pretending that you have to do something or get something. If do this enough it should eventually give them the hint that you don't like being left alone with male collegues, so in future they may avoid situations like this

ragdollcat1982
05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I cannot keep a security door open all day.

Then you may have to resign yourself to the fact that you will have to work with a man if you want to keep your job.

Rou
05-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Unfortunatly sister this is a situation that should have been looked at in the beggeining now that you are inthe situation you must either make a decsion of continuing and trying your best not to have an unessasry conversations with the boss unless it is work related of course or other option if it is truly too much then leave the job...

Allah knows best what we keep hidden in our hearts and he is the best of judges...

if you have no ill intent then hold strong to the rope of allah inshallah he shall help you preserve...

Walikum asallam

innocent
05-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Jazakallh khair everyone for all your advice.

innocent
05-14-2009, 08:13 PM
What about if a woman travels in a taxi with a male driver. Is that allowed or is it considered haram?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.