/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ...

AnonymousPoster
05-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Aslamu alaikum

I have got this problem and i would appreciate very much if you could offer advice please.
Inshallah i will be going to university next year. I have written in my application form that i want to do law and international relations and i have been offered places in all the universities i have chosen alhamdullilah. The thing is i have got this huge feeling that this course isnt right for me at all. I have started to show interest in social work. I have done a lot of research on it and have spoken to social workers and the more i find out the more appealing it becomes.
I really want to do social work and even phoned like 13 universities and all of them told me that its too late to apply now.
Anywas i thought why dont i decline all my offers and then inshallah spend next year doing just volunatary work ( its important to have experience i have been told) and apply to social work. Im alreeady 19 and i really want to go university! So i thought why i dont i change international relations to sociology so i could do sociology and law (sociology links with social work in way) and then after finishing the 3year bachelor degree i could go for MA social work.

Which option do you think is better? the first or second?
inshallah if any of you have done/doing/or about to social work could you tell me the pros and cons of doing it
and the same goes for law and sociology.

Jazzakallah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AnonymousPoster
05-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Bump

nebula
05-09-2009, 01:59 PM
i think its important to do a course that you'll enjoy also i know alot of people who have taken 1 year gaps after college so if you have to then i'd say go for it.

Muhammad
05-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Is it really too late to apply? Have you tried UCAS Extra? That's basically if you don't have any offers or rejected them all, you can apply for courses with vacancies, but you can only apply for one at a time. You have until July to use this service. You can check the list of courses on the UCAS website which participate in this - they should have a little cross next to them. Before rejecting anything - you can contact the universities to find out if they will consider you in the first place.

Then there's Clearing - find out if it's an option by phoning the universities and asking whether they usually have spaces and whether they might accept you if you used it.

Before doing anything however, make sure you know what you are going into (which it sounds like you do). It would be risky to reject all those offers for something that is not guaranteed.

Another option is to find out whether it's possible to do one year of the Law & Int Relations degree, then transferring to the other course somehow. It could be that the first years are very similar and thus transfer a possibility.

The most important thing is to make Istikharah before you do anything. Then after seeking the advice of people you trust, make a decision and place your trust in Allaah (swt).

I hope that helps Insha'Allaah,
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
05-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Muhammad;1140001Wa Alaykum Assalaam,
Is it really too late to apply? Have you tried UCAS Extra? That's basically if you don't have any offers or rejected them all, you can apply for courses with vacancies, but you can only apply for one at a time. You have until July to use this service. You can check the list of courses on the UCAS website which participate in this - they should have a little cross next to them. Before rejecting anything - you can contact the universities to find out if they will consider you in the first place.
Yes, i have tried that and found that there were some extra places but when i phoned them (12 unies) they said that the information is not accurate. Its compulsory to interview every single social work applicants and most of them are finished with interviwing them and they are not going to interview anymore applicants.

Then there's Clearing - find out if it's an option by phoning the universities and asking whether they usually have spaces and whether they might accept you if you used it.
They told me that its very unlikely they will go through clearing.- social work is a very competitive field!

Before doing anything however, make sure you know what you are going into (which it sounds like you do). It would be risky to reject all those offers for something that is not guaranteed.

Another option is to find out whether it's possible to do one year of the Law & Int Relations degree, then transferring to the other course somehow. It could be that the first years are very similar and thus transfer a possibility.
Yeah i thought about that as well but when i told them they were like no no no -
international relations and law degree and social work are completely two different things.There is a zero chance for transfering!

The most important thing is to make Istikharah before you do anything. Then after seeking the advice of people you trust, make a decision and place your trust in Allaah (swt).
Inshallah i will do that. Just that i needed advice and inshallah i will speak to my career adviser and after that i will do istikharah.

I hope that helps Insha'Allaah,
:w:
Jazzakallah khair for your input

crayon
05-10-2009, 11:08 AM
What about starting a semester late, spring semester '10?
And during this fall semester you could do the volunteer work you need to do?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!