/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Poker

qweretyq
05-09-2009, 07:08 AM
I have read the other thread here on games, but do you guys think Poker (specifically Texas Hold 'em for argument purposes) is haram? Why or why not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
05-09-2009, 07:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by qweretyq
I have read the other thread here on games, but do you guys think Poker (specifically Texas Hold 'em for argument purposes) is haram? Why or why not?
O you who believe! intoxicants and games of chance and (sacrificing to) stones set up and (dividing by) arrows are only an uncleanness, the Shaitan's work; shun it therefore that you may be successful.

The Shaitan only desires to cause enmity and hatred to spring in your midst by means of intoxicants and games of chance, and to keep you off from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. Will you then desist?

Quran, 5:90 and 5:91

Muezzin
05-09-2009, 08:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by qweretyq
Yep, for the reasons outlined by Dawud_UK.

Find another game to play on Facebook :p

qweretyq
05-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Yes, but one could argue that many things are up to chance. If you, for example entered a video game contest that costs $10 to enter, and winner gets 60% of everyone who enters, is that haraam too?

The stock market is similar; is that haram? What about real estate purchased for the sole intention of reselling?

My point is everything has some element of chance in it. I would think that games based primarily on chance is haram, and many would argue that poker involves a lot of skill (This is why good poker players will most certainly beat amateurs.)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
qweretyq
05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry, just to make it clear, I am talking about a poker tournament with a set buy-in. I am not talking about cash games.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.