/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Christian hospital serves Muslim neighbours in Egypt

Uthman
05-09-2009, 12:54 PM
A hospital in Egypt is challenging the inter-faith friction which has seen the country's Christians pitted against Muslims in sectarian disputes.

Around 10 per cent of Egypt’s population are Coptic Christians, while the other 90 per cent are almost all Muslim. Tensions between the two communities often flare up in the form of attacks, riots and occasional killings.

However, one hospital run by the Anglican Diocese of North Africa is changing that. The Christian-run Harpur Memorial Hospital is serving the local Muslim population in the Nile Delta town of Menouf, reports Voice of America.

Unusually for a hospital, Harpur receives no funding from the government. Despite this, and the religious differences, people come from all over the region to be treated at the hospital owing to its good reputation.

Samir Bakheet, the gynaecologist who runs the hospital, said, "All the people here, most of them, are Muslim but they prefer to come here because they trust the hospital," reports Voice of America.

Dr Michael Awad, an anaesthesiologist who quit a high paid job in Cairo to join the hospital, spoke of the Irish doctor Frank Harpur, who founded the hospital 100 years ago and is known for eradicating a parasite which was ravaging the countryside.

"He used to come from Cario using a houseboat, travelling down the branches of the Nile and then getting off shore to go see the patients and then going back to Cairo," said Dr Awad said.

"Enclostama is a small worm that feeds on the blood of the patients … And he [Harpur] introduced this newly discovered medicine and it helped them. So they regained health, regained power, and went back to their villages."

The Anglican bishop who oversees the hospital, Mouneer Anis, said that doctors at the hospital were able to show Christian compassion to their Muslim neighbours.

"In a way it gives us opportunity for us as Christians to serve our neighbour, the Muslims here … And to love them, real love, genuine love. Not just a love with hidden agendas. But a real love."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
05-15-2009, 07:21 AM
In Tehran, they have a Jewish hospital serving Muslims for decades...

ardianto
05-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Is it wrong if Christian hospital serves Muslim ?
Is it wrong if Islamic hospital serves Christian and other non-muslim ?
No !. Hospital, doctor and paramedic must serves everyone, whoever they are. Even in war situation and the patient is enemy.

I can't imagine if someone need a medical care and go to nearest hospital, but the hospital says "This hospital is not for you, go to another hospital that owned by people in your religion". However, after I read this article I assume, a case like that was happened in some hospital.

aadil77
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Hopefully no-ones trying any conversions

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
joedawun
05-15-2009, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Hopefully no-ones trying any conversions
The article says nothing about anyone trying to convert anyone. It is about a Christian run and supported hospital that provides excellent, loving care and service to it's Muslim neighbors in an otherwise disadvantaged area of Egypt.

What would you do, aadil, if someone were "trying" conversions? What if the Muslim patients were trying to convert the hospital staff? Would that be covered by your statement: "Hopefully no-ones trying any conversions"?

GreyKode
05-15-2009, 06:14 PM
I agree with ardianto, but anyway that's good.

aadil77
05-15-2009, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joedawun
What would you do, aadil, if someone were "trying" conversions? What if the Muslim patients were trying to convert the hospital staff? Would that be covered by your statement: "Hopefully no-ones trying any conversions"?
Well we all know how christian missionaries work don't we? by helping the 'disadvantaged'? If the patients do inform them about islam, then good for them, they're living in a muslim country and they can expect it and it would only benefit themselves if they decided to become muslim and no one else

joedawun
05-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Well we all know how christian missionaries work don't we? by helping the 'disadvantaged'? If the patients do inform them about islam, then good for them, they're living in a muslim country and they can expect it and it would only benefit themselves if they decided to become muslim and no one else
I believe the hospital is part of the indigenous Coptic Christian community, which comprises 10% of the population of Egypt. This community has existed for thousands of years, and for the most part there is mutual tolerance between it and the broader Egyptian Muslim community.

Anyway, it seems a shame that the good deeds of this particular hospital staff should be placed in doubt because they are Christian. That does not speak well for tolerance, at least not on your part.

Eric H
05-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Osman my young friend.

Thanks for the story, and it does have meaning, even though doctors sign up to a duty of care as part of their job.

The greater challenge for the rest of us is how do we care for each other, if we have no medical reason to do so?

In the spirit of praying to a God who loves us all despite our differences.

Eric

aadil77
05-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Anyway, it seems a shame that the good deeds of this particular hospital staff should be placed in doubt because they are Christian. That does not speak well for tolerance, at least not on your part.
No thats good, I don't understand why there is a seperate faith branded hospital in the first place, shouldn't it be Govt owned or atleast funded?

joedawun
05-15-2009, 11:58 PM
No thats good, I don't understand why there is a seperate faith branded hospital in the first place, shouldn't it be Govt owned or atleast funded?
I think that the important thing is that there is a hospital devoted to giving people good, quality health care in that particular area where it is needed. It is a bonus that it proves that we can and must care for each other, regardless of our differing faiths and beliefs.

جوري
05-16-2009, 01:03 AM
copt = descendant of ancient Egyptians... 'tis beyond me how that became synonymous with Christians of Egypt? (well actually I have a good clue of how) -- in a way they used it as if to highlight themselves as the true Egyptians while the Muslims as some sort of Arab invaders leftovers.. it is actually not the case at all, since 90% of Egypt embraced Islam very openly, I know I have Christian and even one Jewish great aunt, they are not any more or less egyptian than anyone else..

but I love how the terms evolve to fit the tide..

now, that being said and back to topic.. Do you actually know if the hospital is providing a good service or it is all PR stuff? I just came from there (even posted photos in the designated section) I doubt it is anymore than a cheap attempt to win world favor for the great schism--rumors usually travel the globe and back twice before the truth has had a chance to tie its shoe laces...

ardianto
05-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I can understand why brother aadil77 so worry.
I know missionaries work, but I dont think Christian staff in that hospital will trying to convert Muslim patient. They know if they try to convert Muslim patient, Muslim will not trust them anymore and it will become a big trouble between Muslim and Christian. I think they never want that big trouble will happen.

Frankly, this debate is confused me, what's wrong if a hospital that owned by a religious organization serves people from another religion ?. But maybe that because I am not living in Egypt.
There are three Christian/Catholic hospital in my city that serves Muslim, and all Islamic hospital in my city always ready to serves non-muslim.
Hospital is not allowed refuse to give a health care for someone just because religion diversity. And doctor or paramedic is not allowed trying to convert patient into another religion.

north_malaysian
05-17-2009, 04:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I can't imagine if someone need a medical care and go to nearest hospital, but the hospital says "This hospital is not for you, go to another hospital that owned by people in your religion". However, after I read this article I assume, a case like that was happened in some hospital.
Hospitals never discriminate people because of religious backgrounds... but I've heard of private hospitals rejecting poor people because they're not covered by insurance...

north_malaysian
05-17-2009, 05:01 AM
I believe the hospital is part of the indigenous Coptic Christian community, which comprises 10% of the population of Egypt.
It's Anglican church hospital... and I dont think they're converting people to Anglicanism...

We have an Adventist hospital in Penang, but never heard of patients converting Adventism...

Trumble
05-17-2009, 09:46 AM
You do know what the word 'hypocrisy' means? And you do understand that using your own logic it would be totally OK for hospital staff in a 'Christian country' such as the US to badger muslims to become Christians, but not the other way around?

GreyKode
05-17-2009, 10:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
You do know what the word 'hypocrisy' means? And you do understand that using your own logic it would be totally OK for hospital staff in a 'Christian country' such as the US to badger muslims to become Christians, but not the other way around?
Neither this nor that.

aadil77
05-17-2009, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I thought someone would mention 'hypocrisy', but when you have such strong faith in islam as the truth you don't really care about what others think. And my 'logic' doesn't apply to anyone else. Sorry if that does not satisfy you :thumbs_up

salafy_masry
05-17-2009, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Around 10 per cent of Egypt’s population are Coptic Christians, while the other 90 per cent are almost all Muslim. Tensions between the two communities often flare up in the form of attacks, riots and occasional killings.
The percentage is only 5% form the population ... with max of 6% ..

10% is totally wrong ..

ardianto
05-17-2009, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Hospitals never discriminate people because of religious backgrounds... but I've heard of private hospitals rejecting poor people because they're not covered by insurance...
That's right. I often hear poor patient rejected because they has no ......... what is name of letter that explain this patient is poor and govt will pay his/her bill ?. In Indonesia that is Surat keterangan tidak mampu.

There are few Christian hospitals in my city, and all of them have Muslim staff, Muslim nurse, or even Muslim doctor. I think is better if that Egyptian Christian hospital has Muslim staff.

north_malaysian
05-18-2009, 01:00 AM
That's right. I often hear poor patient rejected because they has no ......... what is name of letter that explain this patient is poor and govt will pay his/her bill ?. In Indonesia that is Surat keterangan tidak mampu.
what? at least you Indonesians are lucky... we dont have that kind of letter... but we have special card given to disabled people... where they can get free treatments in public hospitals...

Trumble
05-18-2009, 05:56 AM
I thought someone would mention 'hypocrisy', but when you have such strong faith in islam as the truth you don't really care about what others think. And my 'logic' doesn't apply to anyone else. Sorry if that does not satisfy you :thumbs_up
It shouldn't satisfy you, either, as it wouid legitimise behaviour that is detrimental to Islam. Faith is a fine thing.. but not when used an an excuse. It has been used to excuse too many things.

salafy_masry
05-18-2009, 08:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

Let me say it once more ... they are only 5% or max 6% of the population

ardianto
05-19-2009, 05:10 AM
what? at least you Indonesians are lucky... we dont have that kind of letter... but we have special card given to disabled people... where they can get free treatments in public hospitals...
I hope this is not out of topic. :)

Yes, we have a letter like that. That's special for poor people only, and use in govt hospital. Of course, not in first class but in lowest class.
When they need that letter they can make a request to local govt according to addres in their ID card. Unfortunately, many of them are live in other area.

north_malaysian
05-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Unfortunately, many of them are live in other area.
you mean, immigrants from the villages?

ardianto
05-19-2009, 03:23 PM
you mean, immigrants from the villages?
Yes, like that.
Their ID card is from their village but they live in city. It would become a problem when they need that letter (surat keterangan tidak mampu).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.