/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Transhumanism a religion?

memories
05-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Transhumanism is a new ''philosophical'' movement, It advocates fot the betterment of the human race using science, such breaktrough like defeating old age and even death are goals of this way of tought and are said to be achivable in a matter of years. The improvement of cognitive functions and an idealistic aspirations of humanity.

This could turn us into super-humans! Imagine a world without aging, without death,sickness or mental disabilitys, this would most certainly negate the need for religion.

The question is not wether or not this would be achivable, but my question is : is this what humanity wants? As we use glasses to better ourselves and correct visions,and use pills to counter depression and other flaws, isnt aging considered as a major flaw?

This movement has many Doctorate level advocates such as Aubrey Degrey ect, would this be proper for the human race? wouldnt defeating death be a great victory for humanity? I await your oppinions about this.

Regards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
05-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Every soul shall taste of death...[3:185]

(80) A Revelation from the Lord of the Worlds.
(81) Is it this Statement that ye scorn,
(82) And make denial thereof your livelihood?
(83) Then why do ye not (intervene) when (the soul of the dying man) reaches the throat,-
(84) And ye are at that moment looking
(85) And We are nearer unto him than ye are, but ye see not -
(86) Then why do ye not,- If you are exempt from (future) account,-
(87) Call back the soul, if ye are true (in the claim of independence)?

[Surah al Waqiyah 80:87]

Güven
05-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Defeat Death?

I think they are rather afraid that God really does exists, they don't want to admit/believe and hence they try to find anything that pleases their minds.

Death can never be defeated whether they like it or not.

Imagine a world without aging, without death,sickness or mental disabilitys
Aren't we all striving to get there...Jannah(Heaven)?

All we have to do is obey God and do good.

This world is just temporary, There is no way humans can accomplish this.

Humans must fix their own hearts first!

Do we want this?

No , not in this world.

GreyKode
05-11-2009, 11:06 AM
I thought they were pleased with one life.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by memories

The question is not wether or not this would be achivable, but my question is : is this what humanity wants? As we use glasses to better ourselves and correct visions,and use pills to counter depression and other flaws, isnt aging considered as a major flaw?
Humans want most of all security - not invincibility. Whilst we have an invinciblity complex (which acts partly as a defense mechanism), human beings are at their heart insecure.

Plus, even if they were to find a way to cure all diseases (big lol to that) and counter ageing, do you really think that will stop murderers, criminals etc? Humans have killed one another throughout the ages - it is actually part of the insecurity complex to do so (this person makes you feel insecure, only way to feel secure is by getting rid of him etc).

Only way to prevent such things would be some sort of gene-altering method or eliminating parts of the psyche i.e. remove the social desire aspect. But that is a CORE function for humans - it's how we roll. Remove that (you would need to if your aim was ultimate perfection) and you have a bunch of elites who would end up doing NOTHING (since you would have had to remove competitive element in order to prevent aggression which often leads to killing etc).

So congratulations your perfect human is the outer casing of a robot. Without primary programmes (some of which cause crimes etc and thus would need to be removed in order to create ''pefection''), human beings are USELESS.

You could propose a counter: why not just reduce the amount as opposed to eliminate completely those core programming functions - which would again be bad as they'd be less motivated (than normal) to do things - which IS NOT PERFECTION.

There's a reason why we human beings have these attributes - because without, we wouldn't be human beings and we most certainly would not have lived up until the 21 century. The limitations that we have MOTIVATE us to do things. Replacing those with ''perfect'' attributes would result in NO MOTIVATION.

In short: transhumanism is bs. Don't get me wrong: I am all for supporting hospitals and movements to help people get better etc (and if thats all they want to do, awesome they have my support), but I do not want to live forever (in this life). Let that be a dream or a hope that I can hold onto - because in reality, it just wouldn't work. Imortality works best as a dream or goal - keep it that way.

Vito
05-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Transhumanism is a new ''philosophical'' movement, It advocates fot the betterment of the human race using science, such breaktrough like defeating old age and even death are goals of this way of tought and are said to be achivable in a matter of years. The improvement of cognitive functions and an idealistic aspirations of humanity.

This could turn us into super-humans! Imagine a world without aging, without death,sickness or mental disabilitys, this would most certainly negate the need for religion.

This movement has many Doctorate level advocates such as Aubrey Degrey ect, would this be proper for the human race? wouldnt defeating death be a great victory for humanity? I await your oppinions about this.

Regards

For someone thats of a religion, I would have actually expected the opposite thoughts on this issue. I find the subject of "defeating death" to be rather depressing in itself to be honest. And I think the other posts above me just about summed it up.

noorseeker
05-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Their trying to hide from Allah swt

memories
05-11-2009, 03:02 PM
But, as human beings dont we deserve something better? to live forever immortality on earth? think about the technological progresses that could be accomplished with such humans! Think about the achivements!

Im sure no one here would turn down this offer. what would be the need of a god?

aadil77
05-11-2009, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven

Imagine a world without aging, without death,sickness or mental disabilitys, this would most certainly negate the need for religion.
Aren't we all striving to get there...Jannah(Heaven)?

All we have to do is obey God and do good.

This world is just temporary,
The brother has just said it all for you, there's a place out there much better than anything possible on earth, with pleasures our minds cannot comprehend and this is created specially for those humans who deserve it

If you are sincere in faith and follow guidence from Allah then theres no reason why you won't be admitted to it

aadil77
05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
But, as human beings dont we deserve something better? to live forever immortality on earth? think about the technological progresses that could be accomplished with such humans! Think about the achivements!

Im sure no one here would turn down this offer. what would be the need of a god?
Is this seriously coming from a christian? do your beliefs not tell you look forward to the reward in the afterlife?

memories
05-11-2009, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
The brother has just said it all for you, there's a place out there much better than anything possible on earth, with pleasures our minds cannot comprehend and this is created specially for those humans who deserve it

If you are sincere in faith and follow guidence from Allah then theres no reason why you won't be admitted to it
Yes but, theirs no proof of this place you mention, while if we could achieve immortality on earth and proove it to be so, wouldnt you prefer putting your stocks in a proven immortality? retaher than in some place you ''think'' you will go to when you die?

Lets not forget death is the end of Biological functions, and for the record, did you ever visit a Brain dead person in the hospital? They appear pretty souless to me, If someone was to take a large part of your brain out, you would appear pretty souless also, just like any othe life form with a ''smaller'' brain.

Aha!

aamirsaab
05-11-2009, 03:45 PM
...think about the technological progresses that could be accomplished with such humans! Think about the achivements!
Like what? If you are immortal, nothing is impossible for you. You no longer have to pay for your goods, you can just steal them (who will stop you? who can stop you? You're freakin' immortal!) Once you obtain immortality, what else is needed to be achieve? You have endless LIFE! That's the biggest possible achievement mankind could ever want.

Simply put, a world full of immortals (with human psyche) would be very boring. You wouldn't be able to achieve anything. The sense of struggle and trials and tribulations etc would no longer exist, so you'd never feel inside of you the sense of achievement.

You are ignoring the spiritual side of humans. Every human being has an element of spirituality - in common english this is known as dreams or hopes or ambitions. So even with immortality, people would still need God/religion. Probably even more so for reasons stated previously.

The difference between paradise and transhumanism's goal of immortality is that in paradise, our psyche will be different (this is based on what I personally have read about paradise in Islam). Our programming and nature will be suited FOR immortality.

aadil77
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes but, theirs no proof of this place you mention, !
So you're not a christian? or you're just certain that your way of life will not lead you to this 'place', so you'd rather not believe in it?

Strange coming from a christian

memories
05-11-2009, 04:03 PM
so aamirsaab your saying it couldnt work because it would get to be boring? and im talking technological progress such as space exploration, all of these things that cant be achived in a normal lifespan.

Your saying that in paradise our psyche will be different how can you state this? While you cant even prove the existence of said paradise.

your arguments take into account that we have a soul yet I would be curious of seeing you provide proof of the existence of a soul.

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
So you're not a christian? or you're just certain that your way of life will not lead you to this 'place', so you'd rather not believe in it?

Strange coming from a christian
Please stay on topic and quit questionning my faith, I consider these beliefs wolly compatible with my system of beleif.

Muezzin
05-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Regards

All things die. Even stars burn out.

But, as human beings dont we deserve something better?
No. I don’t believe we do. I believe, given our propensity, as a species, for violence and suffering, no good would come of this.

Or rather, the bad would outweigh any good.

to live forever immortality on earth? think about the technological progresses that could be accomplished with such humans! Think
about the achivements!
Think of Icarus…

Think about the crimes. Think about the atrocities. Think about the misery.

You think immortality is going to make everyone play nice? You think everyone will just pull together to further scientific achievement? You think people are going to stop hurting or robbing or raping or traumatising or stigmatising others?

Were immortality possible, it would at first only be administered to certain individuals. Who, then, would decide who could become immortal or not? People would kill others for that power. And ultimately, the Haves and the Have Nots would become the Immortals and the Mortals.

Is that the kind of society humanity wants to become?

Gator
05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
There's an old saying, "Science advances one funeral at a time."

aamirsaab
05-11-2009, 04:17 PM
so aamirsaab your saying it couldnt work because it would get to be boring?
With our present psyche, immortality would be useless.

...and im talking technological progress such as space exploration, all of these things that cant be achived in a normal lifespan.
Space travel? That's the great achievement mankind needs to make?

Your saying that in paradise our psyche will be different how can you state this? While you cant even prove the existence of said paradise.
Based upon what I have read about paradise, I have determined our psyche will be different. Doesn't matter if I cannot prove existence of paradise - that's not the point I was making. My point was our present psyche is NOT compatible with immortality. We have certain in-built mechanisms that work on the basis of FAILURE/MORTALITY; by having immortality or success (100% gauranteed what!) In order for immortality to actually work for human beings, you'd have to make so many changes to the psyche, they'd no longer be considered human beings!

your arguments take into account that we have a soul yet I would be curious of seeing you provide proof of the existence of a soul.
I'm not talking about soul neccessarily (that is more to do with afterlife). I am talking about what makes us human is our mortality and the fact that we have mechanisms in our genetic make up that work as a result of mortality (i.e. hopes, dreams, ambitions) which means humans having immortality would NOT WORK. The only way to make it work would be to genetically engineer humans to such an extend that they could not be considered human beings (because you would have had to essentially re-program them).

memories
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
''Human enhancement refers to any attempt to temporarily or permanently overcome the current limitations of the human body through natural or artificial means. The term is sometimes applied to the use of technological means to select or alter human characteristics and capacities, whether or not the alteration results in characteristics and capacities that lie beyond the existing human range. Here, the test is whether the technology is used for non-therapeutic purposes. Some bioethicists restrict the term to the non-therapeutic application of specific technologies — neuro-, cyber-, gene-, and nano-technologies — to human biology.[1][2]''

Yes reprogaming could be possible along transhumanism, There! any other objections? that is if reprogramming would be possible?

''Space travel? That's the great achievement mankind needs to make?'''

Space travel seemes like a pretty good achivement, what do you have to offer?

(OFF TOPIC) Here is a song I think some might find pretty good one of my romanian friends showed it to me ''undeva Balkani'' ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARwU...e=channel_page

Muezzin
05-11-2009, 04:30 PM
''Space travel? That's the great achievement mankind needs to make?'''

Space travel seemes like a pretty good achivement, what do you have to offer?
Curing cancer.

Without resorting to immortality. As that's cheating.

memories
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Without resorting to immortality. As that's cheating.
Resorting to immortality? if one could resort to immortality to cure cancer Im sure One would do it, It would be highly immoral to refuse progress to cure something as deadly as cancer because of some Ethical Doctrine saying its ''cheating'' etc. We ought to use every tool we can to embetter the human race is waht I say.

Muezzin
05-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Resorting to immortality? if one could resort to immortality to cure cancer Im sure One would do it, It would be highly immoral to refuse progress to cure something as deadly as cancer because of some Ethical Doctrine saying its ''cheating'' etc.
Do you have a problem with ethics?

We ought to use every tool we can to embetter the human race is waht I say.
How glad I am the decision is not yours to make.

You're seeing the cars. I'm seeing the traffic jams.

memories
05-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Do you have a problem with ethics?
Why in the world did my answer made you think I have a problem with ethics??

I just stated that an ethical doctrine wich is in other words a religion of any kind that would prevent such breaktroughs on the basis of what this ethical doctrine/religion teatches/preaches would be downright stupid! especially on the basis of curing cancer.

we are to use every means necessary in order to achive a greater good.

'Abd-al Latif
05-11-2009, 05:46 PM

This worldly life is a prison for the believer, and paradise for the non-muslim. I never want to live immortal on earth. I want to dwell in Allah's Paradise and have the Throne of the Most Merciful above me. I want my face to be radient on the day when mankind is ressurected after we have become dust in the earth. I want to live where the ground and its soil is of musk and saffron. Where its rocks are pearls and jewels. Its buildings that are made of bricks of gold and silver. And trees whose trunk is made of gold and silver. I want Paradise, that which no eye has seen and no ear has heard, far more then technology can ever do!

Some faces, that Day, will beam (in brightness and beauty);- , Looking towards their Lord; ... [Surah Qiyama 75:22-23]

memories
05-11-2009, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
This worldly life is a prison for the believer, and paradise for the non-muslim. I never want to live immortal on earth. I want to dwell in Allah's Paradise and have the Throne of the Most Merciful above me. I want my face to be radient on the day when mankind is ressurected after we have become dust in the earth. I want to live where the ground and its soil is of musk and saffron. Where its rocks are pearls and jewels. Its buildings that are made of bricks of gold and silver. And trees whose trunk is made of gold and silver. I want Paradise, that which no eye has seen and no ear has head, far more then technology can ever do!

Some faces, that Day, will beam (in brightness and beauty);- , Looking towards their Lord; ... [Surah Qiyama 75:22-23]
What you have said here is very beautifull, it touched me (really) for some reason I feel depressed by what was written here... I really wish with all my heart for you to be right!

Muezzin
05-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Why in the world did my answer made you think I have a problem with ethics??
Just asking.

I just stated that an ethical doctrine wich is in other words a religion of any kind that would prevent such breaktroughs on the basis of what this ethical doctrine/religion teatches/preaches would be downright stupid! especially on the basis of curing cancer.
Do you really think immortality is the only possible cure for cancer?

we are to use every means necessary in order to achive a greater good.
The ends don't always justify the means.

I am convinced that immortality would be abused. It wouldn't magically make everyone a constructive, positive member of society who wants to aid scientific discovery. As I said before: You think immortality is going to make everyone play nice? You think everyone will just pull together to further scientific achievement? You think people are going to stop hurting or robbing or raping or traumatising or stigmatising others?

Were immortality possible, it would at first only be administered to certain individuals. Who, then, would decide who could become immortal or not? People would kill others for that power. And ultimately, the Haves and the Have Nots would become the Immortals and the Mortals.

Is that the kind of society humanity wants to become?

memories
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
You miss the entire point.

''Do you really think immortality is the only possible cure for cancer?''

I said if it was/would allow to find a potential cure for cancer than I would have no problem with it.

the rest of your answer is made of ''what if's'' and ''but's'' stop being so negative, if someone would offer me eternal life I would take it, because I like this life on earth.
some would say that this would not allow me to never see god, well, when even stars die and atoms have a life span I awnser that eventually I would meet him, but not yet.

Muezzin
05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
You miss the entire point.

''Do you really think immortality is the only possible cure for cancer?''

I said if it was/would allow to find a potential cure for cancer than I would have no problem with it.
Okay.

the rest of your answer is made of ''what if's''
Your first post is a big 'what if'.

and ''but's'' stop being so negative,
If you don't want others' opinions, you shouldn't have asked for them in your first post.

if someone would offer me eternal life I would take it, because I like this life on earth.
Seriously? Just, 'Okey-dokey, Doctor Jones!' No questions? No thinking-through?

some would say that this would not allow me to never see god, well, when even stars die and atoms have a life span I awnser that eventually I would meet him, but not yet.
Then immortality as a practical matter is impossible.

memories
05-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Il cut this out: ''Your first post is a big 'what if'.If you don't want others' opinions, you shouldn't have asked for them in your first post.Seriously? Just, 'Okey-dokey, Doctor Jones!' No questions? No thinking-through?''

and just answer on the things you said that are a propos and are on topic

Then immortality as a practical matter is impossible.
Yes practically speaking immortality is impossible, but a lil more time can do no harm ;)

Regards

Muezzin
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Il cut this out: ''Your first post is a big 'what if'.If you don't want others' opinions, you shouldn't have asked for them in your first post.Seriously? Just, 'Okey-dokey, Doctor Jones!' No questions? No thinking-through?''

and just answer on the things you said that are a propos and are on topic
Off-topic? I was replying to your posts. You wanted opinions on immortality, right?

Either way, nice dodge.

Yes practically speaking immortality is impossible, but a lil more time can do no harm ;)
I don't follow.

memories
05-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Nice points of view here, I like the one that states that this would make us loose our humanity.(credit to aamirsaab) but when you look at wars,holocaust, fanaticism and al the ugly things in human nature, would that not be what we want? what every body wants? getting rid ourselves of the uguly by means of science and keeping the beautifull and by the way improoving human condition no mater how altered the human nature would be?

AntiKarateKid
05-11-2009, 08:37 PM
The claim that "super advanced science" would make religion useless is based upon a flawed and incomplete understanding of Allah's OMNIPOTENCE and paradise.

Did we stop and think that without his permission, these scientists would never get their ideas or be able to perform their experiments in the first place?

Did you think that the creator of the heavens and earth would be rendered null by making people more resistant to disease or having longer lifespans?

Did you ever read the descriptions of paradise which describe it as beyond our comprehension? While earth is very much able to be comprehended.

Anyone who for a moment believes this trash is just as much a fool as those scientologists and UFO worshippers.

A prerequisite for taking this topic seriously is ignorance of the Islamic concepts of Allah and paradise.

memories
05-11-2009, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
The claim that "super advanced science" would make religion useless is based upon a flawed and incomplete understanding of Allah's OMNIPOTENCE and paradise.

Did we stop and think that without his permission, these scientists would never get their ideas or be able to perform their experiments in the first place?

Did you think that the creator of the heavens and earth would be rendered null by making people more resistant to disease or having longer lifespans?

Did you never read the descriptions of paradise which are beyond our comprehension?

Anyone who for a moment believes this trash is just as much a fool as those scientologists and UFO worshippers.

A prerequisite for taking this topic seriously is ignorance of the Islamic concepts of Allah and paradise.
ok I hear your point, regardless, is that what we need, should we quake in that direction? to improove mankind and live like the stars, by stars I mean the sun etc, not brittney spears.What should we awnser to someone who would offer this to mankind? yes or no, that is the question.(lets not go in the how, but the if and the why)
regards

AntiKarateKid
05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
ok I hear your point, regardless, is that what we need, should we quake in that direction? to improove mankind and live like the stars, by stars I mean the sun etc, not brittney spears.What should we awnser to someone who would offer this to mankind? yes or no, that is the question.(lets not go in the how, but the if and the why)
regards
You're rhetoric is really vague. Perhaps if you defined what "live like the stars" meant this would go somewhere. All I have heard so far is disease resistance and longer life.

It is not for man to make his own destiny. Instead Allah offers him choices of destiny and he, through his actions, picks one.

All in all, given a choice, I'd take heaven over waiting on scientists to eventually make me live longer. One is guaranteed happiness, the other is uncertainty. One is infinity, the other is again uncertainty.

memories
05-11-2009, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
You're rhetoric is really vague. Perhaps if you defined what "live like the stars" meant this would go somewhere. All I have heard so far is disease resistance and longer life.

It is not for man to make his own destiny. Instead Allah offers him choices of destiny and he, through his actions, picks one.
fine let me put it this way.
is the folowing what mankind needs, and would it be good for mankind, is what the topic is about.

Assalamu Alaikum

Transhumanism is an international intellectual and cultural movement supporting the use of science and technology to improve human mental and physical characteristics and capacities. The movement regards aspects of the human condition, such as disability, suffering, disease, aging, and involuntary death as unnecessary and undesirable. Transhumanists look to biotechnologies and other emerging technologies for these purposes. Dangers, as well as benefits, are also of concern to the transhumanist movement.[1]

The term "transhumanism" is symbolized by H+ or h+ and is often used as a synonym for "human enhancement".[2] Although the first known use of the term dates from 1957, the contemporary meaning is a product of the 1980s when futurists in the United States began to organize what has since grown into the transhumanist movement. Transhumanist thinkers predict that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the label "posthuman".[1] Transhumanism is therefore sometimes referred to as "posthumanism" or a form of transformational activism influenced by posthumanist ideals

AntiKarateKid
05-11-2009, 09:21 PM
fine let me put it this way.
is the folowing what mankind needs, and would it be good for mankind, is what the topic is about.

Assalamu Alaikum

Transhumanism is an international intellectual and cultural movement supporting the use of science and technology to improve human mental and physical characteristics and capacities. The movement regards aspects of the human condition, such as disability, suffering, disease, aging, and involuntary death as unnecessary and undesirable. Transhumanists look to biotechnologies and other emerging technologies for these purposes. Dangers, as well as benefits, are also of concern to the transhumanist movement.[1]

The term "transhumanism" is symbolized by H+ or h+ and is often used as a synonym for "human enhancement".[2] Although the first known use of the term dates from 1957, the contemporary meaning is a product of the 1980s when futurists in the United States began to organize what has since grown into the transhumanist movement. Transhumanist thinkers predict that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the label "posthuman".[1] Transhumanism is therefore sometimes referred to as "posthumanism" or a form of transformational activism influenced by posthumanist ideals
The simple point is that limited creatures can't have unlimited power. No matter how great our science, we will be limited by ourselves and will forever be in a struggle to try and lessen limitedness. Think about it this way, raise any number to the negative power of infinity. No matter how small it gets it will never ever be zero.

An unlimited being has unlimited power and it is folly to assume that we can outdo it.

memories
05-11-2009, 09:26 PM
its not if its possible the question, it is if its what we should want to have or not. I heard some interesting comments on this in this tread.

AntiKarateKid
05-11-2009, 09:34 PM
its not if its possible the question, it is if its what we should want to have or not. I heard some interesting comments on this in this tread.
How can we make a judgement on something that is impossible by it's nature? I suppose next we'll be discussing two sided triangles too?

Allah will always be greater. Allah will always offer us something greater.

The simple answer then is no. If we think that we can make ourself without need for Allah, then we will be destroyed for our evil just as the people before us were.

Take example from the perished nations before you.

The 'Ad (people) rejected the messengers. Behold, their brother Hud said to them: "Will ye not fear (Allah)? I am to you a messenger worthy of all trust: So fear Allah and obey me. No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from the Lord of the Worlds. Do ye build a landmark on every high place to amuse yourselves? And do ye get for yourselves fine buildings in the hope of living therein (for ever)? And when ye exert your strong hand, do ye do it like men of absolute power? Now fear Allah, and obey me. Yea, fear Him Who has bestowed on you freely all that ye know. Freely has He bestowed on you cattle and sons, And Gardens and Springs. Truly I fear for you the Penalty of a Great Day."

alcurad
05-11-2009, 09:35 PM
most religion will be gone after a certain amount of scientific and technological advancement, and humans probably will be able to overcome most ailments+aging, it's inevitable, but I'd not call it a religion.

our biological bodies are the reason we have diseases and aging, changing their composition to overcome such issues is not going to be easy, but so was reaching the moon. with the rate of technological advancement we have now it's only a matter of decades given enough political backing and resources.

most people are not aware of such,since the potential for such knowledge/technology is simply beyond their imagination, but that never stopped the flow of history.

as muslims, there is a narration from the prophet which states:
في صحيح مسلم عن عبد الرحمن بن شماسة المهري قال : كنت عند مسلمة بن مخلد وعنده عبد الله بن عمرو بن العاص فقال عبد الله : لا تقوم الساعة إلا على شرار الخلق هم شر من أهل الجاهلية، لا يدعون الله بشيء إلا رده عليهم ، فبينما هم على ذلك أقبل عقبة بن عامر فقال له مسلمة : يا عقبة اسمع ما يقول عبد الله : فقال عقبة : هو أعلم، وأما أنا فسمعت رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يقول : لا تزال عصابة من أمتي يقاتلون على أمر الله قاهرين لعدوهم لا يضرهم من خالفهم حتى تأتيهم الساعة وهم على ذلك . فقال عبد الله: أجل، ثم يبعث الله ريحاً كريح المسك مسها مس الحرير فلا تترك نفساً في قلبه حبة من الإيمان إلا قبضته، ثم يبقى شرار الناس عليهم تقوم الساعة

and:
عَنْ عَبْد اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو رضي الله عنهما قَالَ : قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ : يَخْرُجُ الدَّجَّالُ فِي أُمَّتِي فَيَمْكُثُ أَرْبَعِينَ ، فَيَبْعَثُ اللَّهُ عِيسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ كَأَنَّهُ عُرْوَةُ بْنُ مَسْعُودٍ فَيَطْلُبُهُ فَيُهْلِكُهُ ، ثُمَّ يَمْكُثُ النَّاسُ سَبْعَ سِنِينَ لَيْسَ بَيْنَ اثْنَيْنِ عَدَاوَةٌ ، ثُمَّ يُرْسِلُ اللَّهُ رِيحًا بَارِدَةً مِنْ قِبَلِ الشَّامِ فَلَا يَبْقَى عَلَى وَجْهِ الْأَرْضِ أَحَدٌ فِي قَلْبِهِ مِثْقَالُ ذَرَّةٍ مِنْ خَيْرٍ أَوْ إِيمَانٍ إِلَّا قَبَضَتْهُ ، حَتَّى لَوْ أَنَّ أَحَدَكُمْ دَخَلَ فِي كَبِدِ جَبَلٍ لَدَخَلَتْهُ عَلَيْهِ حَتَّى تَقْبِضَهُ ، قَالَ : فَيَبْقَى شِرَارُ النَّاسِ فِي خِفَّةِ الطَّيْرِ وَأَحْلَامِ السِّبَاعِ لَا يَعْرِفُونَ مَعْرُوفًا وَلَا يُنْكِرُونَ مُنْكَرًا فَيَتَمَثَّلُ لَهُمْ الشَّيْطَانُ فَيَقُولُ أَلَا تَسْتَجِيبُونَ ؟ فَيَقُولُونَ : فَمَا تَأْمُرُنَا ؟ فَيَأْمُرُهُمْ بِعِبَادَةِ الْأَوْثَانِ ، وَهُمْ فِي ذَلِكَ دَارٌّ رِزْقُهُمْ ، حَسَنٌ عَيْشُهُمْ ، ثُمَّ يُنْفَخُ فِي الصُّورِ

from which we can conclude that before the day of judgment, the majority of people remaining on earth would be the worst.

AntiKarateKid
05-11-2009, 09:38 PM
One more thing, should transhumanism ever succeed it would be falling exactly into Allah's plan.

Then, when they forgot that whereof they had been reminded, We opened unto them the gates of all things till, even as they were rejoicing in that which they were given, We seized them unawares, and lo! they were dumbfounded.

So of the people who did wrong the last remnant was cut off. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds!

Quran 6:44-45

Yanal
05-12-2009, 01:46 AM
You know wiki is made of people articles,who knows if those people are trying to make doubt,we all know Islam is the true religion so follow it!

memories
05-12-2009, 02:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
You know wiki is made of people articles,who knows if those people are trying to make doubt,we all know Islam is the true religion so follow it!
I like your blunt and honest statements I do!:rolleyes:. As I wouldnt cite Wikipedia In any research or anything, its often a very good ''cadre de reference'' to have view of the whole picture, its pretty reliable and convenient.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.