/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Left-handed converts

Whatsthepoint
05-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Do left-handed converts to Islam need to start using their right hand for eating, drinking, writing etc?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
05-13-2009, 12:10 PM
It's just eating and drinking that need to be done with the right hand; writing with your left hand is fine.

Zafran
05-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Salaam

My friend is left handed and he does just fine with his right hand - and yes its right had for eatng, drinking etc unless in extreme circumstances. - Im not sure about writing.

peace

S_87
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Do left-handed converts to Islam need to start using their right hand for eating, drinking, writing etc?
just on islamic stuff like eating/drinking

for writing nooooo im left handed myself lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
05-13-2009, 12:29 PM
10% of the population is left handed.. eating is fairly easy with both hands.. writing isn't..
my niece is left handed, we constantly tell her to eat with her right hand, and she switches (she is almost 4) but when she writes we try to make her use both hands.. if she is uncomfortable she'll switch..

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

ragdollcat1982
05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
My husband is left handed and no matter how hard he tries he just cannot manage to eat with his right hand without making a mess.

Abu Sukkar
05-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I am a leftie as well!

This was a big issue for me as i was really worried about it.

I spoke to a scholar about this and he said Allah does not burden a soul.

He said all you have to do is what is know such as eat with the right, clean yourself with your left hand etc and everything else such as stirring a cup, combing hair etc (day to day things) can all be done with whatever hand you are comfortable with.

(P.s they reckon we cleverer then them rightees...Bloody right if you asks me!)

Muhajabah
05-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Just like born muslims, the revert lefthanded people do as is comfortable for themselves.

SouljahOfAllah
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Im a lefty, alhamdulilah i was taught from a young age to each and drink with me right hand and now i cannot eat with my left just too difficult. i cnt use siccors with my left either but buttering bread writting i use my left. Alhamdulilah. its not that hard once u get used to it. Allahu alam

UmmSqueakster
05-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm a lefty as well. I eat and drink with my right, but still continue to write with my left.

Abu Sukkar
05-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Rise of the Lefties!!!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Omg MashaAllah so many lefties here! I was always the rare one in school!

I'm a lefty as well :statisfie

I cant write with my right hand. You might think a child just got done writing lol.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sukkar
Rise of the Lefties!!!
Ditto! lool.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-13-2009, 04:30 PM

I've heard this as well, any truth to it?? lol.

UmmSqueakster
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I wonder if more lefties convert to islam percentage wise than is the general population division? We do have some characteristics that tend for us to march to the beat of our own drummer and look outside what is culturally considered "normal" for spiritual fulfilment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-ha...eft-handedness

"In his book Right-Hand, Left-Hand,[44] Chris McManus of University College London argues that the proportion of left-handers is rising and left-handed people as a group have historically produced an above-average quota of high achievers. He says that left-handers' brains are structured differently in a way that widens their range of abilities, and the genes that determine left-handedness also govern development of the language centres of the brain.

McManus also says that the increase in the 20th century of people identifying as left-handed could produce a corresponding intellectual advance and a leap in the number of mathematical, sporting, or artistic geniuses."

~Raynn~
05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Lol!! :happy: Totallyy...

GreyKode
05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Raynn~
Lol!! :happy: Totallyy...
That's a Myth.You wish.;D

FatimaAsSideqah
05-13-2009, 06:17 PM
:sl:

I am left-handed as well for writing only! I didn't realised that many of here are lefties! :D

BintAbee
05-13-2009, 06:31 PM

I think lefties are more creative and artistic... I have one sister that's a leftie and she manages quite well to eat and drink with her right hand.... she cuts with her right hand too ... She just writes with her left hand

So many lefties here! Subhanallah!

:w:

Abu Sukkar
05-14-2009, 02:35 AM
I have a dream...

I have a dream that one day leftie and righties will hold hands and prosper!

Let no man stand in our way!

syilla
05-14-2009, 09:13 AM
:salamext:

Did you know that it is good to train to use both of the hands (other than using it for eating)? Because you'll make both of your left and right brain work.

Just thought of sharing :)
http://scienceblogs.com/neurophiloso..._brain_myt.php

FatimaAsSideqah
05-14-2009, 03:39 PM

The way our brains are organised, with the right hemisphere controlling our dominant left-hand, means we do things differently to right-handers.

Lefties seem to have an advantage in many areas of sport. For example a lot of champion fencers are left-handed and there have been many outstanding left-handed tennis champions. Part of this is almost certainly linked with the organisation of the brain with the right side of the brain that controls spatial awareness linked directly to the dominant left hand, giving left-handers an advantage when thinking in three dimensions and in interpreting information in a 3 dimensional space.

A right-handed player will more usually face a "like-handed" opponent play a similar game and playing a left-hander is less common, whereas a "lefty" will invariably have faced more right-handers and thus be quite used to their "opposite" style of play.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Wooooooooooooo, that sounds like me. Sporty!
Part of this is almost certainly linked with the organisation of the brain with the right side of the brain that controls spatial awareness linked directly to the dominant left hand, giving left-handers an advantage when thinking in three dimensions and in interpreting information in a 3 dimensional space.
Weeeee sounds like me! lol

syilla
05-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Since most of things created for the right handed... it is good for the left handed person to learn to use right hand too...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-16-2009, 10:38 PM
^^Like what? I shouldn't have too if I don't want...:p

I do most things with my left unless Islam requires otherwise.

Yanal
05-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Try practicing eating with your right and inshAllah you will get the hang of it.

Musilman
05-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Right handed people are smarter:raging:

Musilman
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
But in all seriousness start to get used to using your right hand

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
Try practicing eating with your right and inshAllah you will get the hang of it.
Who??

Yanal
And left people are blessfully unique.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-16-2009, 10:46 PM
What is this nonsense? Unless Islam requires otherwise, why does it matter?

Is there a post here that I'm missing or cant see. O.o

Yanal
05-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Who??
That was directed to any left hand convert. Use logic:exhausted:p

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Well isnt that assuming that they dont eat with their right? Perhaps u should direct that line at urself ;D
You dont know whether they do or not. A lot of non muslims "do" eat with their right....

Im not sure if u meant some or all so I had to ask you know...:/ I think I use my logic fairly well..

Yanal
05-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Your point is? I said converts meaning people who were former religions but now are muslims,this has nothing to do with non muslims.

FatimaAsSideqah
05-16-2009, 10:56 PM

A left handed person does not choose to make her/his right hand the weaker hand. This is something that people is created with and cannot change just like they cannot change]the color of people's skin, eyes or their hair. So Allah Ta'ala will not ask anyone why he/she is left-handed, because it is He who has created them. Besides, using one's right hand for eating and most other purposes is recommended, or a sunnah.

Allah Ta'ala will look at what recommended practices we do in this life and reward us for them. But He will not punish us for omitting any of them. Allah Ta'ala knows best!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I made my point farely well. No need to get itchy...non muslims/coverts same thing as they were not muslim before and they carry their habits....this is what I meant and why I said non muslim...perhaps it was confusing.

My point was did u mean some or all as "not all reverts" eat with their "left" coz many "do" eat with their right only.

So in turn this is why I asked my questions. I asked sincerely not to tick anyone off.

I asked a simple question. You can just ask me properly if u think my question was silly and not assume Im not using logic.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.