/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions?

Karina
05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
The Qur'an (Oxford World's Classics)
by Muhammad Abdel Haleem

The reason I come to this forum is because I have always had a curiosity about Islam and what it's all about. But I haven't yet read the Qur'an so it kind of limits my contributions in some areas!! :-[

So....I have just ordered this ^^. Can anyone tell me if it is a reputable/good copy?

Thanks everyone :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamayun
05-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Not sure sister. Not read that one.

Personally I love the Marmaduke Picthall translation and the Yusuf Ali translation.

Karina
05-14-2009, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
Not sure sister. Not read that one.

Personally I love the Marmaduke Picthall translation and the Yusuf Ali translation.
Thanks. I have heard of the last translation, but I ordered this one as it was recommended as being clear and concise to the beginner....

I'm kinda looking forward to reading it really. Any helpful hints? :)

aadil77
05-14-2009, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karina
Any helpful hints? :)
Read everything in context

And as usual any queries just post em here :thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
xxxx2
05-14-2009, 07:41 PM
hi
Interpretation of the meaning of the Qur'an in the English Language
Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali
Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

you can downloaded from:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/15445601/Q...rstandislamnet

or
http://understand-islam.net

http://understand-islam.net/Articles...nd_Hilalee.pdf

you may buy it from any islamic store, one is darussalam publisher
http://www.darussalam.com/product_in...oducts_id=1120

aadil77
05-14-2009, 08:23 PM
I have that exact translation muhsin khan one^ but I wouldn't recommend it, too many author comments inserted in brackets which can get annoying

Hamayun
05-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Any helpful hints? :)
Yes sister :)

You will come across verses that you may not understand. This is because they may be referring to a certain event or period. Also some verses are allegorical and not literal.

If you find anything confusing just ask the Brothers and Sisters here. :)

Also I have a request... please be extremely careful when reading about Islam on the internet. Sooooooooo many people don't know what they are talking about and tend to put you off or confuse you.

If you have any doubts or questions please ask here no matter how trivial or offensive you think they are.

Best of luck Sis :)

Hamayun
05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Sister where do you live? I can send you a Quran free of charge.

It is the Picthall translation :)

It is the best one for beginners :)

Karina
05-15-2009, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
Sister where do you live? I can send you a Quran free of charge.

It is the Picthall translation :)

It is the best one for beginners :)
Hi Hamayun,
Thanks for your kindness!
I have PM'd you about this,
K :sunny:

- Qatada -
05-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Karina, you got the right one. I've read about others praising it, so i'd personally stick to that one.

here's a site on Islam which might give some more info temporarily which you might be interested in;

http://islamreligion.com

Karina
05-15-2009, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
Karina, you got the right one. I've read about others praising it, so i'd personally stick to that one.

here's a site on Islam which might give some more info temporarily which you might be interested in;

http://islamreligion.com
That's good to know!

I am due to pick it up from my local Post Office when I get a spare minute so I'll let you know how I get on..... This is uncharted territory for me! :hmm:

- Qatada -
05-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Kool, it would also be good to get hold of a biography of Prophet Muhammad in the near future too. Since you can understand the Qur'an better through understanding the biography of the man recieving it.

Maybe this can be discussed later on. But theres some brief info on his biography on the site i mentioned in the earlier post [in the Prophet Muhammad section].

Peace.

Karina
05-15-2009, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
Kool, it would also be good to get hold of a biography of Prophet Muhammad in the near future too. Since you can understand the Qur'an better through understanding the biography of the man recieving it.

Maybe this can be discussed later on. But theres some brief info on his biography on the site i mentioned in the earlier post [in the Prophet Muhammad section].

Peace.

Thank you Qatada, I will see if I can get hold of one..... and it's good to know there's assistance if I get stuck!

- Qatada -
05-15-2009, 06:37 PM
There's a good one which is praised for its flow and style in writing, its called Muhammad, based on the earliest sources by Martin Lings. It has a few mistakes, but if you get hold of that book - it might be an interesting read to you.

If you ever do get hold of it, just tell us and we can discuss it on the forum in more detail.

Peace.

witness
05-15-2009, 09:34 PM
:sl:

There's a good one which is praised for its flow and style in writing, its called Muhammad, based on the earliest sources by Martin Lings. It has a few mistakes, but if you get hold of that book - it might be an interesting read to you.

If you ever do get hold of it, just tell us and we can discuss it on the forum in more detail.
I borrowed this from a friend and have just started reading...
Could you explain the mistakes please?

Jazakallah

:w:

Yanal
05-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I never heard of that book...

- Qatada -
05-16-2009, 11:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by witness

I borrowed this from a friend and have just started reading...
Could you explain the mistakes please?

Jazakallah

:wasalamex

There's 2 big mistakes, and they never actually occurred in the life of Prophet Muhammad so be careful of them insha Allah;

1st example is Mr. Lings’ rendering of the relationship between the Prophet and Zaynab, for this creates the impression of a passionate romantic love affair between them. He paints a picture of Zaynab at her house who – being lightly clad – upon hearing of the Prophet’s arrival at her door, was so eager to greet him that she leapt she leapt to her feet and ran to the door, to invite him to stay until her husband Zayd returned” (p. 213). That is, she was improperly dressed, and the Prophet was overcome with passion, amazed at her beauty. Mr. Lings’ borrowed his “story” from certain forged narrations of al-Waaqidee et al., and these were aptly described by some critics absolutely unacceptable for such a Hollywood film”. Obviously, such material is absolutely unacceptable for such a sacred subject as the life of the Prophet Muhammad, his virtuous wives and righteous Companions.

The real story of Zaynab is mentioned here;
http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai..._id=31&q_id=19

2nd Issue;

The final example I will mention – and perhaps the most detrimental – which clearly points to gross misconceptions and distortions of the Prophet’s Seerah by Mr. Lings’ is the incident of the Prophet’s entry into Makkah on the Day of Victory. It is well known that he was commissioned by the almighty Allaah to purify the Ka’bah of all signs of polytheism, by ridding it of all the idols surrounding it.

Furthermore, the Prophet ordered his companions to destroy and efface everything which remained inside the Ka’bah by way of painting or sculpture [of idols etc], and to remove such before he entered inside to pray. This has been authentically related in the compilation of al-Bukhaaree et al.

Lings on the contrary, relates another “story” (p. 300) gleaned from the forged narratives contained in his so-called “dependable ancient sources” (i.e. al-Waajidee, al- Azrajee et al.). This “story” totally contradicts what has been authentically related regarding this incident and contradicts the essential principle of Tawheed , for Lings’
writes the following: “Apart from the icon of the Virgin Mary and the child Jesus and a painting of an old man said to be Abraham, the walls inside (the Ka’bah ) had been covered with pictures of pagan deities. Placing his hand protectively over the icon, theProphet told ’Uthmaan to see that all other paintings, except that of Abraham, were effaced.”

I ask: Can it be believed that the Prophet ( sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam ) would protect such icons of Mary, Jesus and Abraham in this manner, and that he would allow these idols to be left intact inside the sacred Ka’bah , the very symbol of pure unadulterated Tawheed [monotheism]?! The answer should be quite obvious to anyone possessing firm faith and good sense, for if such a story were true- and it certainly isn’t – then it follows that the Prophet affirmed the very symbols of polytheism and by implication, it indicates that he
approved of the distorted existing versions of the previously revealed religions of Christianity and Judaism, symbolised by his protection of their two respective icons.

http://abdurrahman.org/innovation/perinnialistpoison/

So the 1st issue is the marriage of Zaynab bint Jahsh to Prophet Muhammad, he made it look like a hollywood scene with a forged love story [p.213], so you should reject that. There's an alternative link above to explain what really happened.

The 2nd issue is about Prophet Muhammad ordering ALL the idols and pictures to be destroyed from within the Ka'bah (in Makkah), because the Arabs used to worship them. Martin Lings said [on page 300] that all the idols were told to be destroyed except the idol of Abraham and Mary. This is false, and again forged. Why would the Messenger of God/Allah, who has brought people out of idol worship into pure monotheism still allow idols to remain there? So obviously, this is a major mistake. What really happens is that ALL the idols were destroyed, and the Messenger of Allah destroyed them too.

So yeah, just look out for them mistakes insha Allah. :)

witness
05-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Appreciated...

Jazakallah.

جوري
05-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I think Muhammad Asad (Leopold Weiss) is excellent.. here is the abridged version online if you are interested:
http://www.geocities.com/masad02/

quite easy, he also uses several commentaries and leaves you to make up your own mind:

The Message of The Quran by Muhammad Asad

Translation of Holy Quran, Translated and Explained by M Asad

1 – Al Fatihah (The Opening) (Updated)
2 – Al Baqrah (The Cow) (Updated)
Ayah 1-100
Ayah 101-199
Ayah 200-286
3 – Al Imran (The House of Imran) (updated)
4 – An Nisa (Women) (Updated)
5 – Al Maidah (The Repast)
6 – Al Anam (Cattle)
7 – Al Araf (The Faculty of Discernment)
8 – Al Anfal (Spoils of War)
9 – At Tawbah (Repentance)
10 – Yunus (Jonah)
11 – Hud
12 – Yosuf (Joseph)
13 – Ar Ra’d (Thunder)
14 – Ibrahim (Abraham)
15 – Al Hijr
16 – An Nahl (The Bee)
17 – Al Isra (The Night Journey)
18 – Al Kahf (The Cave)
19 – Maryam (Mary)
20 – Ta Ha (O Man)

Surah 21-39 (NEW)
Surah 40-59 (NEW)
60 – Al Mumtahana (The Examined One)
61 – As-Saff (The Ranks)
63 – Al-Munafiqin (The Hypocrites)
64 – At-Taghabum (Loss and Gain)
65 – At-Talaq (Divorce)
66 – At-Tahrim (Prohibition)
67 Al-Mulk (Dominion)
68 – Al-Qalam (The Pen)
69 – Al-Haqqah ( The laying-Bare of the Truth)
70 – Al-Ma'arij (The ways of Ascent)
71 – Nuh (Noah)
72 – Al-Jinn (The Unseen Beings)
73 – Al-Muzzammil (The Enwrapped One)
74 – Al-Muddaththir (The Enfolded One)
75 – Al-Qiyamah (Resurrection)
76 – Al-Insan (Man)
77 – Al-Mursalat (Those Sent Forth)
78 – An-Naba (The Tiding)
79 – An Nazilat (Those That Rise)

80 – 'Abasa (He Frowned)
81 – At-Takwir (Shrouding in Darkness)
82 – Al-Infitar (The Cleaving Asunder)
83 – Al-Mutaffifin (Those Who Give Short Measure)
84 – Al-Inshiqaq (The Splitting Asunder)
85 – Al-Buruj (The Great Constellations)
86 – At-Tariq (That Which Comes in the Night)
87 – Al-A'la (The All-Highest)
88 – Al-Ghashiyah (The Overshadowing Event)
89 – Al-Fajr (The Daybreak)
90 – Al-Balad (The Land)
91 – Ash-Shams (The Sun)
92 – Al-Layl (The Night)
93 – Ad-Duha (The Bright Morning Hours)
94 – Ash-Sharh (The Opening-Up of Heart)
95 – At-Tin (The Fig)
96 – Al-'Alaq (The Germ-Cell)
97 – Al-Qadr (Destiny)
98 – Al-Bayyinah (The Evidence of the Truth)
99 – Az-Zalzalah (The Earthquake)
100 – Al-'Adiyat (The Chargers)
101 – Al-Qaria'ah (The Sudden Calamity)
102 – Al-Takathur (Greed for More and More)
103 – Al-'Asr (The Flight of Time)
104 – Al-Humazah (The Slanderer)
105 – Al-Fil (The Elephant)
106 – Quraysh
107 – Al-Ma'un (Assistance)
108 – Al-Kawthar (Good in Abundance)
109 – Al-Kafirun (Those Who Deny the Truth)
110 – An-Nasr (Soccour)
111 – Al-Masad (The Twisted Strands)
112 – Al-Ikhlas (The Declaration of [God's] Perfection)
113 – Al-Falaq (The Rising Dawn)
114 – An-Nas (Men)

Appendix 1: Symbolism and Allegory in the Quran
Appendix 2: Al-Muqatta'at
Appendix 3: On the term and concept of Jinn
Appendix 4: The Night Journey
El Significado del Generoso Qur'an
Traducción del Árabe y Comentarios
Muhammad Asad
(Message of Quran in Spanish)

My Yahoo Message Forum

Do read other translations also. They are done by people who have similar thinking as Muhammad Asad had, and are not easy to find.

Discussion Forum by Subagh
An online Open Islamic Directory (new)

Links to other Translations on Internet

Sign Guestbook

View Guestbook3
View Guestbook2
View Guestbook1

&ampbNetscape20502028Windows3B20en US29&amps1280x800&ampoWin32&ampc32&ampjtrue&ampv12 - visit?us1242594591 -

YusufNoor
05-17-2009, 09:33 PM
The Qur'an (Oxford World's Classics)
by Muhammad Abdel Haleem

The reason I come to this forum is because I have always had a curiosity about Islam and what it's all about. But I haven't yet read the Qur'an so it kind of limits my contributions in some areas!! :-[

So....I have just ordered this ^^. Can anyone tell me if it is a reputable/good copy?

Thanks everyone :)

i prefer Muhammad Asad's, liek Sis Skye says.

THIS, however i would recommend, it's an audio of the Qur'an plus English translation:

http://www.kalamullah.com/noble-quran.html

and Bro Qatada posted this audio Seerah years ago, but it's GREAT [and there is other Islamic History on it]:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...rophet%20(pbuh)

this lecture series here is very beneficial, Bilal Philips Foundations of Islamic Studies[Contemporary Issues is good as well]:

http://www.hoor-al-ayn.com/lectures/bilal-philips/

this 28 part lecture on al-Fatihah is a goldmine of knowledge:

http://www.kalamullah.com/al-fatihah.html

i hope that you give them a try!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.