/* */

PDA

View Full Version : City surgery 'bullied' Muslim GP

FatimaAsSideqah
05-15-2009, 11:10 PM
:sl:

A Muslim doctor has told an employment tribunal she was dismissed from her job in Leeds because she wanted to attend a mosque for prayers every Friday.

Dr Musarrat Syed-Shah, 31, is alleging religious discrimination and victimisation against four partners at the North Leeds Medical Practice.

Her contract was terminated on 8 August last year, the tribunal in Leeds heard.

Dr Syed-Shah, who described herself as a "devout" Muslim, said she felt "bullied and victimised".

Michael McDonough, for Dr Syed-Shah, told the tribunal: "They were unhappy with her attending the mosque for Friday prayers and they applied a condition to her which was not applied to anyone else by saying they were not allowed to leave the surgery between sessions."

'Not convenient'

Following the notice of termination on 8 August, she was expressly forbidden from going to the mosque from 8 August until the end of her contract, the tribunal was told.

Dr Syed-Shah described herself as a "devout" Muslim who prayed five times a day and had attended mosques on Fridays throughout her adult life.

On being given the job, Dr Syed-Shah said she requested Fridays off but was told it was not convenient.

When one of the partners, Dr Manjit Purewal, later asked her to take on an extra shift on Fridays, it meant she would have to work for more than nine hours without a break and miss prayers.

She objected and was accused of not pulling her weight, the tribunal heard.

The tribunal continues.

Source from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/8050860.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
05-15-2009, 11:35 PM
I have always had a very poor opinion of England and English folks, and reading articles of this sort of confirm my generalizations about that island...

Every hospital I have ever been to had a multi-denominational center of some sort where doctors and pts can go to pray.. it is beyond me why an act that takes less than 4 mins should be so consuming to others..

how bizarre!

:w:

FatimaAsSideqah
05-15-2009, 11:41 PM
:sl:

Why not that she could do to praying in her own office or other spare room for just few minutes? :rolleyes:

BTW, I could agree with you sis Gossamer skye. Its just bizarre story!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.