/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Qadar (Predestination)

FatimaAsSideqah
05-17-2009, 09:50 PM
:salamext:

Qadar is a very sensitive topic. It is the Qadar is sixth article of faith, and many people have gone astray regarding it. Some have denied it altogether while others have gone to such extremes in affirming it that they end up denying human free will. The truth as elucidated in Islamic teachings is between these two extremes. In dealing with this topic in his book A‘laam as-Sunnah al-Manshoorah, Shaikh Al-Hakami has extracted from the works of the early scholars the majority of the most important points which must be grasped in order to have a correct understanding. His mode of presentation is the Q&A style, as it was designed as a concise teaching text, whose main body was easily memorized. The commentary represents a brief elucidation of some of the more difficult points through the addition of useful material from other classical texts like that of al-‘Aqeedah at-Tahaawiyyah as well as modern texts like Dr. Saleh’s compilation The Salaf’s Guide to the Understanding of Al-Qadaa wal-Qadar.

Evidence for belief in Qadar 1 can be found in the following statements of Allaah, the Most High:

“Allaah’s command is a determined decree.” (Soorah al-Ahzaab, 33: 38) 2

Qadar, coming from the root qadara (evaluate), may be defined as Allaah’s predestination of everything for His creation in accordance with His prior knowledge (Believing in Qadar, p. 8); it is Allaah’s decree or decision as in the verse:

“Indeed, I have created all things according to predestined proportions [Qadar].” (Soorah al-Qamar, 54: 49)

Also derived from the same root is the word Qadr (amount) from which Laylatul-Qadr (the night in which Allaah sends down His annual decree and decides the amounts of all things relating to His creation) comes. It is synonymous to Qadar in this context. The Divine Names al-Qaadir (Most Able), al-Qadeer (All-Powerful) and al-Muqtadir (Omnipotent) are all derived from the root.

Qadaa (decision) is the implementation of Allaah’s decree (Al-Mufradaat, p. 406) as in the verse:

“When He decrees a matter, He only says to it: ‘Be!’ - and it is.” (Soorah al-Baqarah, 2: 117)

Some scholars like Ibn Hajar al-‘Asqalaanee held the opposite view. He said, “The scholars say that Qadaa is the general decree from eternity, and Qadar refers to the details of that decree and how they are implemented.” (Fat’hul-Baaree, vol. 11, p. 477 & 149) The overwhelmingly accepted position makes Qadaa the universal, general eternal decree, and Qadar the individual development or application of that in time. (The Encyclopedia of Islam, p. 199)

When the terms Qadar and Qadaa are mentioned separately they are synonymous but when mentioned together, Qadar means the predestination and when what is predestined occurs it is called Qadaa. (Majmoo‘ al-Fataawaa, vol. 2, pp. 79-80)

Continued...

Source from http://www.kalamullah.com/qadar.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
05-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Is it the sixth pillar? I never knew...:X

FatimaAsSideqah
05-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Brother Alpha Jr, Insha'Allah, you will find it very benefical knowledge for you.

I will post it more later Insha'Allah.

FatimaAsSideqah
05-17-2009, 10:12 PM
“That Allaah might accomplish a matter already ordained (in His Knowledge).” (Soorah al-Anfaal, 8: 42)3

“Allaah’s command must be fulfilled.” (Soorah al-Ahzaab, 33: 37)4

“No calamity befalls but by the decision of Allaah. And Allaah will guide the heart of whoever believes in Him.” (Soorah at-Taghaabun, 64: 11)5

2 This verse concerns the incident of the Prophet’s adopted son, Zayd ibn al-Haarithah’s divorce from the Prophet’s cousin, Zaynab, and the Prophet’s subsequent marriage to her. The Prophet (pbuh) tried to avoid and hide Zayd’s marital problems from the community, however it occurred. “Allaah’s command is a determined decree,” means that Allaah’s command which He has decreed must inevitably come to pass; nothing can prevent it or avert it, for whatever He wills happens, and whatever He does not decree, does not happen. (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, vol. 7, p. 699)

3 The Battle of Badr was not planned. The Prophet (pbuh) and his companions had set out to capture a Makkan caravan, but found themselves instead confronted with an army of Makkans more than three times their number. This verse affirms that Allaah decreed that He would bring glory to
Islaam and its supporters in the Battle of Badr, while disgracing idolatry and its people. The companions had no knowledge of what would happen. It was out of Allaah’s compassion that He did that.” (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, vol. 4, p. 324)

4 Allaah explained that the Prophet’s marriage to his cousin Zaynab bint Jahsh was to break the taboo on marrying the ex-wives of adopted sons. Though Allaah had put a stop to adoption earlier, saying:

“He has not made your adopted sons your real sons.” (33:4)

The marriage to Zaynab further confirmed and clarified the implications. The interpretation of “Allaah’s command must be fulfilled,” is that the divorce and subsequent marriage was predestined and decreed by Allaah and was, therefore, inevitable. Allaah knew that Zaynab would become one of the Prophet’s wives and had destined it. (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, vol. 7, p. 699)

5 Another similar verse also addresses the issue of destiny:

“Every calamity which strikes on the earth or in yourselves is inscribed in the Book of Decrees before I bring it into existence. Indeed, that is easy for Allaah.” (Soorah al-Hadeed, 57: 22)

In this case, “No calamity befalls but by the decision of Allaah. And Allaah will guide the heart of whoever believes in Him,” means that whoever suffered an affliction and knew that it occurred by Allaah’s judgment and decree, and he patiently abides, awaiting Allaah’s reward, then Allaah will guide his heart, and will compensate him for his loss in this life by granting guidance to his heart and certainty in faith. Allaah will replace whatever he lost with something similar or something better. (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, vol. 10, pp. 24-5)

Continued....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ahmed_indian
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
Is it the sixth pillar? I never knew...:X
not a sixth pillar. there are only 5 pillars.

Qadar is sixth article of faith - other 5 are belief in Allah, angels, prophets, books, day of judgment.

i think sister wrote sixth pillar by mistake.

FatimaAsSideqah
05-18-2009, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed_indian
not a sixth pillar. there are only 5 pillars.

Qadar is sixth article of faith - other 5 are belief in Allah, angels, prophets, books, day of judgment.

i think sister wrote sixth pillar by mistake.
I do noticed that but I just copy it and paste it in here. I will edit it to add it up. Jazaak'Allah Khair brother.

doorster
05-19-2009, 12:49 AM
<snipped>

[قدر] to me, means "power" power of the Almighty, who can either let you or stop you from carrying out an action!

to me it does in no way mean, predestination of any sort.

P.S. pillars are what you have to do, articles are what you have to believe

سلام على المسلمين

doorster
05-19-2009, 01:22 AM

YusufNoor
05-19-2009, 01:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
even though I know that this will be deleted by a certain admin and I'm also likely to get a ticking off and neg rep by a certain mod, I feel I should still post it

[قدر] to me, means "power" power of the Almighty, who can either let you or stop you from carrying out an action!

سلام على المسلمين
:sl:

so, would you agree that NO MATTER WHAT course of action you decided to take, Allah Ta' Aala KNEW that is what you would do?

predestination implies "Allah made you do it"

:w:

doorster
05-19-2009, 01:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

walaikum Salam wa rahmat Allah
so, would you agree that NO MATTER WHAT course of action you decided to take, Allah Ta' Aala KNEW that is what you would do?
Yes, indeed (but please do not ask me how He does it, I am nothing but a simple follower of a simple religion and not a philosopher)
predestination implies "Allah made you do it"
exactly! belief in predestination destroys ambition and helps our oppressors. There was this illiterate,starving Pakistani, who was being interviewed by a British journalist in Pakistan while Pakistani was eating his dinner consisting of a single chapati.

first he was shown a video of a banquet with the president, then asked to comment on the contrast between his and presidents life style. he humbly said: oh sahb ji, I am getting what is written in my taqdeer and President is getting what is in his naseeb

Woodrow
05-19-2009, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
even though I know that this will be deleted by a certain admin and I'm also likely to get a ticking off and neg rep by a certain mod, I feel I should still post it

سلام على المسلمين

Qadr is probably impossible to explain in English. Power is an accurate translation, so is predestination. However, no Muslim who understands Arabic would equate it with predestination. (Or rather no Muslim who understands Arabic, should equate it with predestination)

I do not want this to turn into a fiqh discussion, so Jazakallah Khayran for sticking with definitions and not explanations.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.