/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shaikh Yasir Qadhi: My Conversion!

$tranger
05-19-2009, 07:08 AM
:sl:

A MUST READ! I'm starting to have second thoughts too!!!!! :uuh:

Yasir Qadhi: My Conversion - Admitting One’s Mistake and Moving On

This is, in many ways, an awkward post for me. Admitting one’s mistake is not easy to do. Claiming that one’s past opinions were wrong - opinions that were defended publicly, in writing and speech, and championed for many, many years - is always a bitter pill to swallow. And this is even more difficult to do when the ‘mistake’ is not just one secondary matter or trivial opinion, but rather an entire framework or methodology.

But now, I am forced to make such a confession. I have given the matter great thought, and have realized there is no way forward unless I break clean of my past. And if I do so, I am not the first, nor shall I be the last, to make such a claim. Many great scholars in our tradition have gone through phases of their life, realizing later on that they followed an incorrect system in an earlier stage.

It is an open secret that there are two great traditions in our times competing with one another. Each of these two systems claims to be better and more perfect. Each one claims to be older, or more ‘orthodox’. Each one claims to have large numbers of followers. Each one presents an entire methodology - a holistic framework from which all other programs of one’s life should spring forth. Each one is eager for converts, critiquing the other tradition with utmost contempt (sometimes with very cheap and underhand tactics - as bloggers know all too well).

It is obvious that both of these systems cannot simultaneously be true in all that they say. One of the two MUST be the more correct and better.
For many years of my life, (in fact for ALL of the years that I have been of age), I had been an ardent follower of what I thought was the only system. As a young teenager, I never even knew that people followed other methodologies, and the first time I was exposed to the other system I truly found it incomprehensible. It seemed too difficult to follow, too ’strange’ and exotic. As I grew older, and learnt more about both systems, initially my faith in my own tradition grew stronger and stronger. It is actually ironic that I wrote many works, books and treatises in its framework. In many public and private gatherings, I had defended my own preferred methodology and mocked the other.

It is true that many people tried to convert me, and initially I rebuffed them quite easily. But as these efforts increased in earnestness, and I found close friends of mine, people whom I truly looked up to, convert one by one, I felt the seeds of doubt grow within me. Perhaps my system was not the best? Perhaps the framework that I had initially been led to believe was the truest and most perfect was not actually so?
One by one, those whom I admired began to drop their ‘old school’ affiliations and change boat. I was truly shocked - my very foundations shaken. Eventually, not a single friend of mine who specialized in the field still remained with me in the old camp. When the final person in my circle of friends converted, it was the last straw.

So I decided to take time out of my other projects, and do some research. After all, this was not a trivial matter, it was an entire methodology of operation. Taking a deep breath putting aside all my previous prejudices, with a pure and unbiased heart, I began to read. And read, read and read. History, works of methodology, testimonies from converts, and even biographies of the founders of these schools. And that was when I realized that I had been wrong all along.

Reading the material that I read, it dawned upon me that the more orthodox of the two methodologies was NOT, in fact, my current one. Rather, it was quite clear that the other system was older, and that mine was but a cheap attempt at imitation. It was also clear to me that my own system, unlike the other one, was full of mistakes - mistakes that I had tried to ignore or brush aside, but existed nonetheless. The other system attracted all the high-profile converts; surely there was a reason for this?

In the end of the day, the evidence spoke for itself. I decided to cast aside my old prejudices, and at least try the new methodology for a while. Until one experiences certain ‘realities’, book knowledge alone will never be sufficient. So, gathering whatever courage I could, I went ahead and took the plunge. For a full week, I immersed myself in a new and fascinating world. I discovered matters that cannot even be expressed in words. The simplicity, elegance and profundity of it all truly blew me away. It was, in all senses of the term, a truly mystical experience compared to my previous ones.

That week is over now, and I cannot remain quite any longer. I too have converted, and this conversion must be made public. This is the truth, and it shall set me free.

I hereby renounce any affiliations I previously had with the PC, and am now a die-hard Mac fan.
:X

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/05/18/...and-moving-on/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
this soooo should be in the halal fun section, he definitely managed to fool me into thinknig this was some manhaj changing something. Not funny

ok yeh it was funny when i read the last sentence :X

IbnAbdulHakim
05-19-2009, 01:48 PM
for real?

MAC?

MAC?????

inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajiun :(

chacha_jalebi
05-19-2009, 02:07 PM
lol may Allah (Swt) bless yasir qadhi :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlissfullyJaded
05-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Ohhh maan! That was goooood! :thumbs_up

Uthman
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
:D

From the comments section by Sheikh Yasir:

Salaam Alaikum

I was hesitant to post this, but then decided to go for it. The reason is simple: I believe such humor (or ‘humour’ for the Brits) is in fact part of the beautiful Prophetic Sunnah. We all know of the story of the old lady who asked the Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) to make duaa for her to enter Jannah, at which he replied, ‘Do you not know that old ladies shall not enter Jannah?’ When she got worried, he immediately replied, ‘Allah will change you back into a young lady and then you shall enter Jannah’.

Indeed, if our Prophet can joke with an old lady about something as precious as Jannah, then we have even more right to follow him and revive this Sunnah. The jokes of the Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) are the best and purest jokes, and ones that in fact teach us much.

I believe that many of our scholars have neglected this aspect of the Sunnah and give an ultra-serious image of Islamic scholarship that is a bit too rigid (yes, for sure it is a serious science, but that doesn’t mean you can’t crack a few jokes!)

Lighten up - it’s part of the Sunnah

Yasir

جوري
05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
a murtad I tell you..but he'll roll back like a bad penny.. once a PC user always a PC user

Najm
05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

LOL, that was amazing post :)

So whats the difference between PC and Mac?

FiAmaaniAllah

Yanal
05-20-2009, 02:15 PM
PC is far older then the new addition Mac,it is like the company "Apple".

$tranger
05-20-2009, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
PC is far older then the new addition Mac,it is like the company "Apple".
Mac IS Apple :-\
hence Apple Mac

Muhammad
05-21-2009, 12:03 AM

lol, that was a good trick. It was also funny reading those comments about people almost having heart attacks etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.