/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arranged Marriage

AnonymousPoster
05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Anyone here been through an arranged Marriage?

Can you ever truly love someone knowing that they were forced into marrying you?

How do you fight the feeling that this person would not be with you if it wasn't for their parents?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
05-20-2009, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Anyone here been through an arranged Marriage?

Can you ever truly love someone knowing that they were forced into marrying you?

How do you fight the feeling that this person would not be with you if it wasn't for their parents?
:sl:

define arranged marriage, my marriage was arranged and we are very happy and love one another.

if however someone is forced into marriage, then that is a forced marriage not arranged isnt it which is something different.

crayon
05-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Arranged marriage is not the same as forced marriage, not necessarily.

If you're talking about forced marriage, then perhaps you should try your best to make your husband/wife to fall in love with you? Perhaps the marriage didn't start out that way, but there's no reason love can't develop later on. Try to understand how they might be feeling, and try to take that into consideration. It must hurt to know that the person you're married to didn't want it in the first place, but like everything, it's a test from Allah..

Personally, I don't think I could ever marry someone who didn't want to be with me. If I knew their parents were pressuring them, that they didn't really want to, I would just leave it be.

I've never been married so this is all hypothetical, perhaps someone else can shed some more light on this...

convert
05-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I've got a whole slew of aunties trying to "arrange" me a marriage. Make dua for me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HopeFul
05-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Assalmaoalaikum,

I come from a background where all the marriages are arranged marriages, sometimes even forced. Althugh people who are forced into amarriage initially ahve it hard, I can proudly say that to this day in modern times, we hae never had n our family or friends ( belonging to the same town) ever had a divorce in husndreds of years, we never had aife abusers, never had husband abusers and womena re kept indoors , moslty dont work and they looka fter the kids and the home perhgaos like myself and the men go out and earn fo hem and take care of them knowing how in modern times she has to stay at home, which comes as a nature for women but yet, I think arranged marriages are SUPERB>

About forced marriages, thre was this girl ,my moms first cousin, she was a bit , well modernised, she was rumoured to love someone else, but she was engaged to her first cousin to keep the land in the family, she hated him since her childhood, eventually she did get married to him, was rather forced to and in the beginning it didnt hit off at al but seeing her sacrifice the man cared for her alot, and now Alhamdolillah theya re extremely happya nd she calls him nothing but my love and sweetheart!!!

It is a matter of taking care. the women in our culture study, they go to schools, universities but then they care for th ehome and husbands and kids.. and in erturn the man gives undivided love and care. A relationship is not always lovey dovey, but love in general and respec fro the other person matter alot and make s abig difference
Once name calling and shouting and complaining start , it sort of .. damages things.

when one has a complaint they should just sit down and politely tell them. It promotes love and the other person UNDERSTANDS.
there are many tips for successful marriage, but the point here is that arranged marraiages work better than love ones, or so I think.

May allah give you peace brother.

- Qatada -
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
asalaam alaikum

check this out;
http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...ml#post1124614

also, be clever - tell or atleast hint at what u want.. ur parents will take that into consideration insha Allah. they need some guidelines, and they're willing to hear u out.

i'm in one too, its alrite alhamdulillah..

the basic rule is - u won't ever know anyone proper until only after you've lived with them for like a year or more.. so don't stress, even if u chose the person u wanted to marry - you'd still be in the same situation.

S_87
05-21-2009, 06:43 PM
an arranged marriage is not forced-it is simply the parents introducing etc with the man and woman being given the final choice without being forced in any way.

ragdollcat1982
05-22-2009, 01:20 AM
I have no problem with arranged marriages as long as the young people are the ones to decide that it is time to look for their spouse and that they are ready both emotionally and finacially to be married. Forcing a girl or young man to marry someone he does not want to marry is wrong. I thought in Islam such marriages are not vaild as consent of both especially the woman is required. What about child marriages? Is this acceptable in Islam. I have heard cases of girls as young as 9 being forced to marry men my husbands age (53) in some countries not just Islamic nations either. I do not think anybody should get married untile they are at least 18.

Dawud_uk
05-22-2009, 06:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
I have no problem with arranged marriages as long as the young people are the ones to decide that it is time to look for their spouse and that they are ready both emotionally and finacially to be married. Forcing a girl or young man to marry someone he does not want to marry is wrong. I thought in Islam such marriages are not vaild as consent of both especially the woman is required. What about child marriages? Is this acceptable in Islam. I have heard cases of girls as young as 9 being forced to marry men my husbands age (53) in some countries not just Islamic nations either. I do not think anybody should get married untile they are at least 18.
peace ragdollcat,

then you should start a campaign against the uk where you can marry at 16 and sex before that age is tolerated by the police even though it is illegal.

now in holland the age of consent is 14, in spain it used to be 12 and was only moved recently.

so what is the correct age of consent and what is the correct age of marriage?

well Allah will let you know when you are capable of having children by putting you through the onset of puberty but in the west such young adults are hardly capable of raising a family of their own.

but is this the same the world over or true of every young adult who may be bellow a certain abitary age set by politicians sometime in the 19th century?

well no it isnt the same the world over, and it isnt the same for everyone.

in islam we raise our children to be responsible for their decisions and mature from puberty onwards, ok they will still make mistakes and need a little help from older adults but still that is the age of maturity in islam, not 18, not 21, not 16.

the problem is most people retard their kids, i.e keep them in a child like state for much longer than they should by giving them too many rights and no responsibilities so society raises children not young men and women and people get upset when people who do raise young men and women treat them as such not as children.

S_87
05-22-2009, 11:24 AM
that is what an arranged marriage is....
In islam there is no sex without marriage and so there is not age limit..and im sure you know living in the west that generally by 18 if you havent had a relationship then there is a lot of pressure.

amna_mirza
05-25-2009, 02:29 PM

I don't understand how arranged marries work, not that I support love marriages...but then again may be I do. I am confused about this issue. Someone mentioned above that you don't know a person unless you have lived with them...what if the person with whom your marriage has been arranged turns out to be evil. imsad

- Qatada -
05-25-2009, 02:54 PM
:salamext:

sis amna, you don't truly know anyone unless you marry them. So its about living the real thing, and if that doesn't work - then resort is permissible if things get too bad.

S_87
05-25-2009, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amna_mirza

I don't understand how arranged marries work, not that I support love marriages...but then again may be I do. I am confused about this issue. Someone mentioned above that you don't know a person unless you have lived with them...what if the person with whom your marriage has been arranged turns out to be evil. imsad
well sis if you look in western society couples live together for years and get to know each other for years before getting married yet theres still a huge divorce rate..? why?

ragdollcat1982
05-25-2009, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
that is what an arranged marriage is....
In islam there is no sex without marriage and so there is not age limit..and im sure you know living in the west that generally by 18 if you havent had a relationship then there is a lot of pressure.

I just think that children need to be children. In the West our children are exposed to so many adult things at a young age. Children need to get an education so that when they marry they will be able to pass knowledge to their children. Do you know that a persons frontal lobe which helps process rational and reason is not fully developed until around age 25? I would not consent for my son to get married until he is 18 when he can decide for himself and graduate school. After that I would prefer that he go to college so that he can earn a degree to be able to support a family. Children should not be forced into adult roles and both husband and wife should be well educated and one can do that withins moral standards.

S_87
05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
I just think that children need to be children. In the West our children are exposed to so many adult things at a young age. Children need to get an education so that when they marry they will be able to pass knowledge to their children. Do you know that a persons frontal lobe which helps process rational and reason is not fully developed until around age 25? I would not consent for my son to get married until he is 18 when he can decide for himself and graduate school. After that I would prefer that he go to college so that he can earn a degree to be able to support a family. Children should not be forced into adult roles and both husband and wife should be well educated and one can do that withins moral standards.
would you consent him having physical relationships before 18?

- Qatada -
05-25-2009, 07:13 PM
:salamext:

Marriage Relations with 'Children'?

In Islam, a marriage contract can be agreed by parents for their children. So two parents may make a marriage contract that their children will be each others partners when they are mature for the rights of marriage. Why is this type of marriage contract usually done? In most cases it is done to cement relations between two families, or to agree to marriage early so they have an opportunity for marriage with a certain family before someone else proposes. This was done by Kings in the past to secure relations between two kingdoms.

Even though this is recognised in Islam, when the children become mature - they have the choice of annulling/cancelling the marriage if they wish to do so. This then refutes the concept of forcing them into marriage if they don't wish to do so.

Bukhari - Volume 5, Book 58, Number 236: Narrated Hisham's father:

Khadija died three years before the Prophet departed to Medina. He stayed there for two years or so and then he married 'Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consumed that marriage when she was nine years old.

This hadith proves the above to be the case, where the marriage contract may take place at an earlier age and the consumation may take place when the person is mature for it.
His marriage to Aisha was one of the greatest blessings upon this Ummah because due to her, we learned so much about the life of the Messenger. She is the 4th highest narrator of Ahadith. She had the mind of a scholor and due to this marriage we know the much about the life of the Messenger at home. And this was a divinely inspired Marriage.

Intimate Relations

The concept of maturity (balaghah) is different to how people percieve it today.

People mature at different levels, depending on where they live, and also their biological makeup.

In countries near the equator, girls mature into women a few years quicker than girls in colder nations. I.e. a girl may have physically developed into a woman by the age of 10 in the middle east, whereas this may occur at 13 for a young woman in Europe.
HerWord.com says:

There was a study conducted showing that girls who live in countries close to the equator started their menstruation earlier.

(HerWord.com,
http://www.herword.com/healthdesk/ot...s10.28.03.html)

The book Women and Health Psychology says:

Many factors have been reported to affect age at menarche and/or the regularity of menstruation—[such as] climate, altitude, race, height, weight, hereditary, stress/psychological factors, light, and nutrition.

(Women and Health Psychology,
Women and Health Psychology ... - Google Book Search)

This phenomenon is not limited to menarche [menstruation periods], but also applies to the whole of puberty. In the book Women: An Historical, Gynecological, and Anthropological Compendium, we read:

The average temperature of the country or province is considered the chief factor here, not only with regard to menstruation but as regards the whole of sexual development at puberty.

(Herman H. Ploss, Max Bartels and Paul Bartels; Woman: An Historical,
Gynecological, and Anthropological Compendium, Volume I, Lord & Bransby,
1988, p.563;

Woman. An historical, gynaecological and anthropological compendium. Volume 3 only by PLOSS, Herman Heinrich, BARTELS, Max & BARTELS, Paul Find or Buy Book Now!)

In Islam, for a girl to have menstruation is not enough, but she should be mature physically, mentally and emotionally for marriage.
Mufti Maulana Husain Kadodia explained:

In reality, puberty has two usages. The first usage is with regards to physical development, whereas the second usage is with regards to menses.

For (sexual) intercourse, developmental puberty (balagha) is a precondition.* Whereas for other rulings—such as being ordered to pray—the menses usage applies.

(Maulana Mufti Husain Kadodia, Ask Imam.com with Mufti Ebrahim Desai)

*The puberty being referred to is the puberty of physical growth - so that a person is capable for sexual relations - without any harm coming to them.

This statement of the scholar - which is based on Islamic teachings - Husain Kadodia proves three points;
1) A girl who has had her menses but has not matured in her body physically should not have sexual relations, if she was to have a marriage contract. This is because she could be harmed in the process, since her body has not physically matured. [Some girls do have periods early, but their body has not matured for any form of sexual activity - so she is not permitted to have such relations due to the harm caused to her in the process*.]

*This is based on the hadith of the Prophet;

It was related on the authority of Abu Sa'id Sa'd bin Malik bin Sinan al-Khudri, radiyallahu 'anhu, that the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi

, said:

لا ضرر ولا ضر
"There is to be no harming, nor reciprocating of harm." (Musnad Ahmad, authenticated by Al-Albânî)
"There should be neither harming nor reciprocating harm."
[A excellent hadith which Ibn Majah, Al-Daraqutni and others related as of sound isnad, but which Malik related in his Muwatta' as of broken isnad, from 'Amr bin Yahya, from his father, from the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi

, but dropping (the name of) Abu Sa'id. This hadith has lines of transmission which strengthen one another (so that it may be regarded as of sound isnad).]

more explanation;
http://fortyhadith.iiu.edu.my/hadith32.htm

2) A young woman who has matured in every single way, but has not had her menses - then she is permitted to have sexual relations with her husband when she has had a valid marriage contract completed. This is because she will not be harmed through such relations since her body and mind has matured for it. [This may occur in countries like Antarctica where women at the age of 20 may have matured in every way except they have not had their periods due to the climate conditions.]

3) Periods signify that a girl has the responsibilities in the religion such as prayer, fasting, etc. Just like boys with their first wet dreams.

Mental & Emotional Maturity

Girls and boys also reach mental maturity quicker in close climate nations because they are brought up this way by their culture and upbringing. This usually makes them mature more emotionally too. Think about it; if the norms in a culture are to marry early, then the upbringing by the parents will ensure that the child is brought up to mature and prepare for marriage at an earlier age.

If someone can handle the it well, then what's the problem?

In Islam, if someone is capable of being married and is mature in a way to handle its responsibilities, it is permitted in Islam for that person to get married, male or female. But if there will be any harm that could come to them through such a marriage, then the marriage should not go ahead, and may be annulled by the Islamic judge if there is harm in it.

Marriage may be done earlier in Muslim nations because having any intimate relations outside of marriage is not permitted. Instead, it is to be done through a secure and safe relationship of marriage. This is why marriage is encouraged, because if a person is capable of having a relationship with someone else, then why not through a trustworthy relationship which both parties agree to?

The marriage of Aisha

There is a very strong proof we can use to show that Aisha (peace be upon her) had reached physical maturity before she moved into the Prophet’s house, and this is Aisha’s own statement in which she said:

When the girl reaches nine years of age, she is a woman.

(Sunan al-Tirmidhi, Kitab al-Nikah)

This statement of Aisha shows that it was the norms in Arabia for a girl to mature on to become a young woman, i.e. become physically mature for marriage and its rights at the age of 9.

Further, Aisha describes herself at the age of nine;
Imam Ibn kathir (May Allah have mercy on him) narrates a hadith in his Al-Bidayah wa-Nihayah:
"Imam Bukhari (May Allah have mercy on him) narrates another hadith which he heard from Farwa bin abi al-Mughria who heard from 'Ali bin Masher who heard from Hisham bin 'Urawh who heard from his father who reports from 'Aisha (May Allah be pleased with her), who said: 'When the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) was betrowth to me, I was six years old. Later, when we migrated from Makkah to Medina and stayed at bin harith bin khdhrj's place, I had grown up. My hair had got longer and I had physically matured; however, I still used to play with other girls...I was nine years old at that time."

Source Page 210-211

There are cases of this being the norms throughout the world, without any harm coming to the young woman. Its only lately that the ages have started to rise to above 15, abit more or less. This is likely due to the longer life expectancy of people today in comparison to the past.

Married to a man who's 54?

What we see is that the age of the man is largely irrelevant to the question, so long as he is still reasonably within the age of marriage. Prophet Muhammad had only around 12 white hairs when he passed away at the age of 63, and his description [see Shama'il Al Tirmidhi] proves he was not a senile old man like some people may think.

Any marriage by a people is based on the cultural norms of the time. The marriage should be based on social norms. The Prophet Muhammad married according to the social norms of his society (marriage of younger women to older men was the norms), and we marry according to the social norms that we live in. Social norms are not a problem, so long as they do not contradict firmly set ethics, and it has been proven above that this marriage did not cause any harm to Aisha whatsoever, but caused a great deal of good. Every other marriage should be judged individually based on its own circumstances.

Useful Links;

Marriage in other nations throughout the world at early ages, and more in depth explanation on the issues addressed;
http://www.islamic-life.com/forums/q...edophile-1441/ ((E-book): Refuting the Islamaphobe's Claim that Prophet Muhammad was a Pedophile)

http://www.islamic-life.com/forums/d...1908/#post8251

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.