/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I would die to defend my community

Uthman
05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
By Musab Bora:

Islam elevates the concept of community duty, and I'd gladly fight for my neighbours.

The question: Are there beliefs to die for?

A few weeks ago, a research article was published regarding Muslims who had fought and died for the British during the second world war. Some were as young as 15, and came from various places in the Indian subcontinent, including the region now known as Pakistan. The research was interesting because of the push by the Ministry of Defence to recruit more ethnic minorities, and especially Muslims, into the armed forces. In the light of the recent focus on Gurkhas fighting (and dying) for the British, the research shows that those willing to die for a country may not be the most obvious of candidates.

My father worked as an army chaplain at a marine base in El-Paso, Texas in the early 90s. He served with soldiers from the Gulf states who were being trained by the US army. We heard many stories of barracks life and how the soldiers he counselled were often in their late teens, training on quite sophisticated weaponry but really just dreaming of home. The truth is for many of them, the militairy was little more than a secure job. Personally I cannot understand how believing in an ideological cause is not a pre-requisite to putting your life at risk for it.

Generally speaking, Muslims are encouraged to be people of conscience regardless of circumstance. There is a famous, if rather graphic, story of the Ali, cousin of the Prophet Muhammad, when he was engaged in battle. At the moment he was about to strike down on his enemy, the enemy soldier spat in Ali's face. Ali walked away, refraining from attacking him because he felt anger, and did not want to strike his enemy of out anger but for a greater cause he believed in.

Muslim terms, once exotic, are now familiar. We are taught about the "just war", jihad, and becoming a "shaheed" (martyr) and other honourable concepts. However, 1400 years of history of peoples spread over most of the planet means there is no uniform monolithic Muslim approach to war. The religion is principled but my fellow adherents are a diverse bunch. The lack of a central authority in Islam means opinions vary on issues where there is room for interpretation. As a consequence, the present Muslims discourse consciously and cynically demotes Muslim-on-Muslim violence in favour of highlighting conflict with outsiders: It is easier to "defend the honour" of Muslims if there is an outside threat to struggle against, to "defend the ummah".

In these turbulent times a mild cynicism has set in regarding rulings of one sort or another. That cynicism also spills into political justifications of war. We are encouraged on the one hand to support troops and air our disagreement with politicians. However, being a member of the armed forces would not have encouraged me to be a thinking, conscientious person who at any point had full control of his actions, or indeed, had his intentions as clear as Ali.

The concept of life is taken as a precious thing, to save one life is as if to save the life of the whole mankind. However, this is, again, an abstract idea. What is real and tangible is the community around me. I live in a predominantly non-Muslim area, and I would fight and die to defend my community, my neighbourhood. The concept of neighbourliness in Islam is quite a strong one – if any of your neighbours go hungry, you are required to feed them. Here, neighbours are defined as at least 40 houses either side of you, quite a large responsibility. We are urged to seek the permission of our neighbours before we travel on pilgrimage, if they are in need, we are required use the money to help them. Defending my community is just one of the causes I would be willing die for on the principle of justice. In fact, there are many causes I would die for, but far fewer I would kill for.

Source

Musab Bora is author of The Islamicist, which was published on his Mr Moo blog.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
05-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Should we, as Muslims, die to defend our communities if necessary?

convert
05-29-2009, 04:48 PM
define "community"

i would not die defending my home country or its flag

Dawud_uk
05-29-2009, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
define "community"

i would not die defending my home country or its flag
me neither, unless it is against the french of-course.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
alcurad
05-29-2009, 04:55 PM
yes, but what is necessity?

Whatsthepoint
05-29-2009, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
yes, but what is necessity?
They're French.

For Muslims, would you rather die fighting against Israel or fighting for Britain/US/whatever?

ardianto
05-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Did you ever hear 'Battle of Surabaya' at November 10, 1945 ?
That was battle between Indonesian and British Navy/Army.
And after that battle, few Muslims soldiers from Indian division turned into Indonesian sides.Their reasons was because Indonesian are Muslims, same as them. But I don't know, after that, were they fought for Indonesian or not.

alcurad
05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
If it served a greater purpose, regardless of whom it was against, as for muslims amongst themselves, in Islam we have a rule: if two groups of muslims fight, then both are to be stopped, the one that refuses is to be fought until it stops.

Whatsthepoint
05-29-2009, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
If it served a greater purpose, regardless of whom it was against, as for muslims amongst themselves, in Islam we have a rule: if two groups of muslims fight, then both are to be stopped, the one that refuses is to be fought until it stops.
And if both refuse?

Uthman
05-29-2009, 05:09 PM
To rephrase my question: As Muslims, should we be willing to put our own lives at risk in order to protect the lives of others? Does it depend? If so, on what?

yusuf18
05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
To rephrase my question: As Muslims, should we be willing to put our own lives at risk in order to protect the lives of others? Does it depend? If so, on what?
no i dont have any aliance to uk i only have to allah and his messnger and muslims thats all kalasss

Whatsthepoint
05-29-2009, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yusuf18
no i dont have any aliance to uk i only have to allah and his messnger and muslims thats all kalasss
Are you an immigrant (or descended thereof) or a convert?

yusuf18
05-29-2009, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Are you an immigrant (or descended thereof) or a convert?
parents are immigrant i was born here

aadil77
05-29-2009, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
me neither, unless it is against the french of-course.
I heard that it is an act of Jihad to fight to defend your homes

Whatsthepoint
05-29-2009, 05:24 PM
parents are immigrant i was born here
Do you think a country should be able to deport an citizen, native or of foreign descent alike, who publicly denounces any allegiance to their country?

GreyKode
05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Yes it is.

yusuf18
05-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Do you think a country should be able to deport an citizen, native or of foreign descent alike, who publicly denounces any allegiance to their country?
up to them but i dont care im just liveing and dont care about the kaffirs

Whatsthepoint
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
up to them but i dont care im just liveing and dont care about the kaffirs
How would you react if the UK deported you?

aadil77
05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
well the BNP haven't won yet, but its probably a good idea to think about it

yusuf18
05-29-2009, 05:31 PM
well im leaving for hijra anyway so i would tell them thank you your most welcome :Dkalass:thumbs_up

Dawud_uk
05-30-2009, 06:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
that is my understanding also, but some people have used this justification to fight their fellow muslims in afghanistan but this is not correct as this is against their brothers and it is kufr to ally with a kaffir against a muslim.

if a true islamic nation invaded the uk i wouldnt raise a finger to help the kuffar and i would make constant dua that the mujahideen were successful.

doorster
05-30-2009, 06:59 AM

Whatsthepoint
05-30-2009, 01:54 PM
that is my understanding also, but some people have used this justification to fight their fellow muslims in afghanistan but this is not correct as this is against their brothers and it is kufr to ally with a kaffir against a muslim.

if a true islamic nation invaded the uk i wouldnt raise a finger to help the kuffar and i would make constant dua that the mujahideen were successful.
How come you wouldn't fight with the mujis?

aadil77
05-30-2009, 02:44 PM

True,

But its awkward living in a non muslim country then being told all these things by so called 'true muslims' that you're allying with kaffir by paying taxes, you're a kaffir by voting and supporting democracy, you're doing this you're doing that etc. When some of the best scholars and alims live in these countries.

I still haven't read any fatwaa or article on this matter, so if you know of any please link them

Uthman
05-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Let me ask an even more specific question:

Should we put our life at risk to protect the life of our Non-Muslim neighbour?

convert
05-30-2009, 05:02 PM

gotta take that on a specific person-to-person basis

Uthman
05-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded, but I'm not seeing much daleel on this thread!

Dawud_uk
05-30-2009, 09:49 PM
How come you wouldn't fight with the mujis?
it is not permissable to break the covenant of security according to most scholars, even if they break their covenant with us first.

if i dont like it, leave.

Dawud_uk
05-30-2009, 09:50 PM

yes, if a neighbour was being attacked, forget that, if anyone was being attacked i would help. as muslims we are supposed to stand against oppression.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.