/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Greek Muslims Want Justice Over Qur'an Insult

Güven
05-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Greek Muslims Want Justice Over Qur'an Insult

Satellite?blobcolurldata&ampblobheaderimage2Fjpeg&ampblobkeyid&ampblobtableMungoBlobs&ampblobwhere1243028794933&ampssbinarytrue -
Muslim immigrants want the policeman brought to justice for insulting the Noble Qur'an.

ATHENS — As protests continued unabated over the desecration of the Noble Qur'an by a Greek policeman, Muslim immigrants are calling for bringing the officer to justice for insulting the Muslim holy book.

"We want to live here in peace," an Egyptian immigrant, who identified himself as Said told Reuters.

"We don't want trouble but we want the policeman to be punished."

Hundreds of Muslim immigrants took to the streets of the capital Athens for the second consecutive day to protest the destruction of the Qur'an by a policeman.

Chanting "Allah is great", the protestors carried banners reading "Hands off immigrants" and holding up copies of the Noble Qur'an.

Clashes erupted between the angry protestors and police, injuring seven immigrants and seven policemen. Police said 46 protesters were arrested.

The protestors were outraged by reports that during police checks at a Syrian-owned coffee shop on Wednesday, an officer took a customer's Qur'an, tore it up, threw it on the floor and stomped on it.

"Immigrants are outraged," Vasso Akrivou, a member of the group Expel Racism, told Agence France-Presse (AFP).

"The incident on Wednesday was the straw that broke the camel's back."

Lawsuit

The Muslim Union of Greece, representing thousands of immigrants in the country, has filed a lawsuit against the policeman.

"Police told us they need more time for the internal investigation so we went ahead and filed a suit," union president Naim Elghandour told Reuters.

Police have already launched an investigation into the incident.

This is not the first time the violent behavior by Greek police triggered turmoil in the country.

Greece plunged into chaos in December over the death of a teenager by the police.

Muslims make about 1.3% percent of the population in overwhelmingly Orthodox Christian Greece, according to the CIA facts book.

The capital Athens is home to an estimated 100,000 Muslim Albanians, Egyptians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Moroccans, Syrians and Nigerians.

The country is home to thousands of immigrants who cross into the country illegally every year seeking a better life in the West.

Trapped in legal limbo, most have no jobs, live in squalid conditions and are often arrested for minor crimes.

On May 9, members of a rightist group attacked immigrants in Athens, sending at least three to hospital.

Rights groups accuse the predominantly Orthodox Christian country of not doing enough to protect immigrants.

Greece says the burden of being the main entry point for illegal immigration into Europe is too heavy to bear alone and has asked its EU partners for help.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
doorster
05-23-2009, 08:52 PM
another trap!

Muezzin
05-23-2009, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
another trap!

Güven
05-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Indeed, Muslims fall very easily into such traps.

the Greek Police had a shoot incident last year December where a police officer "accidentally" killed a boy and there was demonstrations all over the country.

there is definitely something wrong with the Police though.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zico
05-23-2009, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
another trap!
:eek:

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

:eek:

- Qatada -
05-23-2009, 09:55 PM
:salamext:

Not necessarily a trap, but this type of stuff tests Muslims. If Muslims don't react (although sometimes it can be negative) - then they take advantage of that and say evil about Islam more.

Amadeus85
05-23-2009, 09:55 PM
When I was in Athens there were thousands Pakistanis/Indians/Bengalese. Suprisingly me and my cousins never felt insecure to walk in their neighborhoods in midnights. There was pretty safe and calm.

doorster
05-23-2009, 10:30 PM
If Muslims don't react ... - then they take advantage of that and say evil about Islam more.
and a contorted hate filled face like this is going to make them say non-evil things about Islam? or is it going to give them excuses for more oppression?

Amadeus85
05-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Someone would ask, why would a policeman desecrate Quaran? What's the goal of that? Assuming that greek policemen dont leave their brains in home, before going to work.

Tony
05-23-2009, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
Someone would ask, why would a policeman desecrate Quaran? What's the goal of that? Assuming that greek policemen dont leave their brains in home, before going to work.
very surprised that anyone thinks that the ungovernable forces of this world have brains

doorster
05-23-2009, 10:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
to get a reaction? to confirm an idea?

جوري
05-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I really hate cops every where I just got two tickets on Thursday neither deserved -- I was so belligerent, I said out loud they probably didn't meet their quota for donuts and need to get it from the hard earned money of private citizens, my sis was trying to calm me down because she didn't want it to be any worst, she was in the passenger seat.. isn't it terrible when you have no faith in the justice system? that you know folks can muscle or bully their way into causing you harm financial or physical?

When I was leaving Egypt my uncle was driving me and he got two tickets as well (one for driving my brother's car) and the second for having a front grill, imagine that? and this is just for traffic, what they do to civilians for stupid concocted reasons is far worst I know...

Desecrating the Quran is a huge deal, but I am not sure anything comes out of these protests.. they just recruit dimwits in the military and police force -- beaten turds who couldn't make it in school so they take it out now as adults on private citizens (because they can)..

Some cops are decent as I know two brothers in the police force but it is a rarity, it is actually the other way to the norm many bad apples and a few good ones and that is very discomfiting!

:w:

KAding
05-24-2009, 04:24 AM
I have to say, I'm always amazed by the intense Muslim response to desecration of the Qu'ran. It always seems so out of place considering Islam's strong disapproval of idolization.

Anyway, if all true, this officer should have a good talk with his supervisor and have a reprimand added to his personnel file. Anything more seems excessive to me.

جوري
05-24-2009, 04:28 AM
We don't 'idolize' the Quran, to us it is the 'actual word of God', a desecration of the Quran is a revilement of God's word.. far more grave than anything your mind can conceive but to the mundane atheist, if I took your mother's heart out of her body and stomped on it with my feet, I am sure you would be a little more adverse to a simple 'good talking to'!

جوري
05-24-2009, 04:32 AM
by the way has anyone been to Greece? I mean they can barely sustain their economy, they are in no better condition than Egypt, I found some of the stuff written in that article to be grossly hilarious 'like folks seeking the better life of the west illegally' in Greece for the love of God?..must have been written by a westerner, I didn't check the source

Zico
05-24-2009, 07:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
I have to say, I'm always amazed by the intense Muslim response to desecration of the Qu'ran. It always seems so out of place considering Islam's strong disapproval of idolization.
There's a BIG difference between people who "idolizes" the Quran and people who cherish the Quran.

We believe that the Quran contains God's true words, and as believers we hold dear the Quran till we depart this world.

But then again I wouldn't expect a non-believer to understand.

Waetha 5a6abakom el jahiloona gholoo :peace: !!

Now please stop with you're sarcastic remarks. TY.

north_malaysian
05-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Greece is the only country with Sharia courts in Europe, where women can wear hijabs everywhere and they really love the Arabs...

Zico
05-24-2009, 07:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Greece is the only country with Sharia courts in Europe, where women can wear hijabs everywhere and they really love the Arabs...
Really? LOL that's news to me :ooh: but I doubt it though.

north_malaysian
05-24-2009, 07:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zico
Really? LOL that's news to me :ooh: but I doubt it though.
all of my Greek friends said that... they said that they have connections with the Arabs as both fought the Turks for independence...

Zico
05-24-2009, 07:55 AM
all of my Greek friends said that... they said that they have connections with the Arabs as both fought the Turks for independence...

Ah but thats still news to me though cuz the Greek that I've met...Well lets just say weren't friendly. But then again I've only met a few.

Muezzin
05-24-2009, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Anyway, if all true, this officer should have a good talk with his supervisor and have a reprimand added to his personnel file. Anything more seems excessive to me.
A charge of criminal damage/destruction of private property would seem excessive to you?

Trumble
05-24-2009, 01:38 PM
The Greek muslims aren't exactly helping themselves; they seem determined to present themselves as fanatics. It seems perfectly reasonable that the police be given time to investigate, establish the facts and prosecute or take disciplinary action if required. If the whole thing is swept under the carpet, then, maybe, is the time for (peaceful) demonstrations and law-suits. To get 'justice', let the law follow it's normal course, at least until it's apparent it has gotten stuck.

KAding
05-24-2009, 08:18 PM
There's a BIG difference between people who "idolizes" the Quran and people who cherish the Quran.

We believe that the Quran contains God's true words, and as believers we hold dear the Quran till we depart this world.

Yeah, that must be it, I can't grasp why the physical book always seems that important.

I was not being sarcastic.

KAding
05-24-2009, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
A charge of criminal damage/destruction of private property would seem excessive to you?
No, you are right, that sounds reasonable.

Zafran
05-24-2009, 09:20 PM
salaam

you mean the arabs that fought against the Ottoman Caliphate?

peace

GreyKode
05-24-2009, 10:08 PM

:thumbs_up

SALAMA.

north_malaysian
05-25-2009, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

you mean the arabs that fought against the Ottoman Caliphate?

peace
yupp

doorster
05-25-2009, 05:12 AM
yupp
did the founders of Saudi Arabia not do same thing? and who is this Lawrence of Arabia? anyone know? (rhetorical questions, DO NOT need reply)
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
The Greek muslims aren't exactly helping themselves; they seem determined to present themselves as fanatics.
did the entire Muslim population of Greece take part in the protest/riot/fight with police?

Joe98
05-25-2009, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Muslim immigrants want the policeman brought to justice for insulting the Noble Qur'an.
I think the muslim man should be brought to justice for insulting the police officer in the first place.

I think the muslim crowd should be brought to justice for all the broken windows and damaged cars - none of which belonged to the police officer.

-

Zafran
05-26-2009, 01:45 AM
did the founders of Saudi Arabia not do same thing? and who is this Lawrence of Arabia? anyone know?
Hes the British agent that helped the Arabs in there treason against the Ottoman caliphate - the mid east is paying for it ever since thanks to the the crazy national "arab revolt" - one of the reasons why Jerusalam was lost and tyranny was established.

Yes "Saudi" arabia is a product of the "arab revolt" and the national treachery against the Ottoman Caliphate. -

Clover
05-26-2009, 03:54 AM
Honestly, I think the policeman should be punished, but having mob fights over it, I'd think, is rather extreme. Remain content, the policeman should have to do this, if you ask me:

1. Buy a Qu'ran out of his own money (A good one, fancy)
2. Present it to the Muslim, who he insulted.
3. Apologize
4. The End

Muezzin
05-26-2009, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
I think the muslim man should be brought to justice for insulting the police officer in the first place.
I think you should read the article again.

'The protestors were outraged by reports that during police checks at a Syrian-owned coffee shop on Wednesday, an officer took a customer's Qur'an, tore it up, threw it on the floor and stomped on it.'

Where does it say the Muslim man insulted the police officer in the first place?

I think the muslim crowd should be brought to justice for all the broken windows and damaged cars - none of which belonged to the police officer.

-
During these kinds of disturbances or riots, that's rather impractical.

north_malaysian
05-27-2009, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
Honestly, I think the policeman should be punished, but having mob fights over it, I'd think, is rather extreme. Remain content, the policeman should have to do this, if you ask me:

1. Buy a Qu'ran out of his own money (A good one, fancy)
2. Present it to the Muslim, who he insulted.
3. Apologize
4. The End
good suggestion.. I remember watching Gandhi movie... when a Hindu came to him saying that he killed a Muslim kid.. and asking on what should he do to compensate that... Gandhi asked him to search for an orphaned Muslim kid and be the father of that kid, but with one condition... that kid should be raised as a Muslim by him.

Sampharo
05-27-2009, 09:49 AM
The insult the policeman has presented is big. A uniformed officer of the law represents the country, and such an action is hugely insulting. Most definitely an act of re-established respect should be publicly made at least to set an example to others and qualm any brewing sentimentalities. I do not agree though with the lawsuit if it's going after money, that's not of Islam. The suggestion of Clover is a good one and should be required to be a public affair with the presence of the police chief and other high officials.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.