/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Beauty of Birds Flocking Above [PICS]

Güven
05-23-2009, 10:12 PM
The Beauty of Birds Flocking Above [PICS]

Ever since Alfred Hitchcock’s thriller The Birds, watching birds flock has never been the same. The following pictures, however, leave that association behind and instead show the remarkable skill and coordination that flying in a flock requires.

Flocking is a collective animal behaviour that can be observed in birds, fish and insects; all animals in fact, only that for some species, it is called herding, swarming, schooling or, er, summer sale.

2. Thousands of grackles swarm around Houston’s Wortham Center at dusk:

It is an instinctive behaviour that follows simple rules and does not require central coordination, but whose results can be astounding: bird migrations over thousands of miles, for example, or complex structures like termite mounds. The advantages of a flock versus a single animal are that a group of animals is stronger, better protected and can hunt or feed better.

In birds, flocking behaviour can be observed beautifully in flight when often huge flocks of birds cover an area in the sky, flying around apparently without coordination but also without any collisions. Three general rules guide flocking behaviour, and, as tests have shown, not only for animals:

Separation: don’t step on your neighbour’s toes (or claws), avoid crowding;
Alignment: keep in line and steer toward the average direction of the neighbours;
Cohesion: keep the structure and steer toward the average position of the flock neighbours.

3. Following all the rules? A flock of red-winged blackbirds at Quivira National Wildlife Refuge in Kansas:

Bird formations especially have puzzled humans for a long time until studies revealed a few simple facts.

1) Each bird flapping its wings creates an uplift for the birds that follow. By flying in a “V” formation, for example, the whole flock gains a 71% greater flying range than each bird flying alone.

4. Watch out, here we come! Synchronized seagull formation:

5. Canadian geese in classic V-formation above Lake Michigan:

2) Each formation has a lead bird that rotates back into the formation when it gets tired so that another bird can take over the head position.

3) Similarly, any bird falling out of formation soon realises the extra resistance when flying alone. It quickly moves back into line to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it. For that reason, geese flying at the back of a formation, for example, honk encouragingly to those in the front to keep up their speed.

6. A reinforced V, for greater encouragement or did they just feel chatty?

4) When a bird in formation gets too tired, sick or wounded to continue, at least one bird will drop out of formation as well and follow it for protection and help. They stay with the wounded bird until it dies or is able to fly again. If their original formation is already too far ahead to catch up with, they will join another one.

The flocking phenomenon has become a biannual event in Denmark that is known as Black Sun (Sort Sol), where European starlings gather in vast numbers and therefore temporarily darken the sky with their complex flying patterns.

7. A huge flock of starlings over Tondermarsken in southwest Jutland, Denmark:

8. A cloud of starlings during “Sort Sol”:

9. Actual migrating bird formation over the Mediterranean:

10. Birds on the trail of the airplane or vice versa?

11. Beautiful shot of birds flying into the sunset taken from the terrace of the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.:

The accidental symmetry of the next picture is just amazing. A near perfect V on top of an inverted perfect V.

12. Ten birds flying in formation over the Golden Gate Bridge:

13. A flock of barnacle geese over the perfectly flat landscape of northern Germany:

The sub-Saharan red-billed quelea is the world’s most abundant bird species. No wonder then that queleas are able to live and breed in huge flocks, often tens of thousands strong, that can take hours to pass when flying past.

14. Red-billed quelea over a watering hole in Namibia:

15. Taking a U – an Auklet flock over the Shumagin Islands, Alaska:

16. Flying right at you – a flock of seagulls at Galveston, Texas:

A free bird leaps on the back
Of the wind and floats downstream
Till the current ends and dips his wing
In the orange suns rays
And dares to claim the sky.

(The first stanza of Maya Angelou’s poem “I know why the caged bird sings.”)

17. Pelicans escaping the Pacific waves at Cove Beach, Año Nuevo State Reserve, CA:

18. A large flock of birds over one of Rome’s many churches:

19. A semicircle is just a rounded V-formation. A flock of geese close to Chicago’s O’Hare airport:

20. Spectacular formations of greater white-fronted geese (left), snow geese (right) and Canada geese (background):

So, the next time you see a bird formation in the sky, you’ll know that what might look random is actually a coordinated, ingrained pattern.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tony
05-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Subhan Allah wal Alhamdulillah

Faith.
05-23-2009, 10:17 PM
:sl:
Woah pretty cool stuff.:D
Learn something new everyday:thumbs_up
:w:

S_87
05-23-2009, 10:26 PM

SubhanAllah

i love number 9!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tony
05-23-2009, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Number 9 actually looks like a lil chick. :><: Well, a bird of some kind.
well spotted bro it really does. If you study the formation u can outline words, and arabic letter shapes. The signs are everywhere. 17 my favorite, awesome power of the ocean and the frgility of life clinging to the rocks. Allahs artistry is truly breathtaking

HopeFul
05-23-2009, 11:51 PM
SubhanAllah, Allah ahs amde these things, sometimes I think we are amazed more AT them rather than at the Creator.

E.g , here in Swtizerland or in france , Alhamdolillah wealways get to live near a very very picturesque place, ( not to mention the view of the fahaheel bech from our apartment in Kuwait!) I find myself in complete awe of the "scenery" Can you eblieve it, at the scenery!

It was only recently when I went up Saleve that I suddenly thought wait a min girl( and yes I still call myself a girl) This is a mere rock, lifeless, the trees cannot understand like we do, what am I praising such beauty for, I should praise the Creator for creating all this to pelase our eyes and to benefit us in al the areas it benefits us.

SubhanAllah to the One Who created the beautiful mountains and lakes and green green trees so that we may eat from the, or take shelter from the heat or just see, as it soothes.

Allah says in the quraan many times, after mention of each wordly beauty ( trees, fire, water) Allah mentions that ti has been created to we can think. Think about what? Think that these things did not just Appear, Allah made them he is EVERYWHERE, He has power over EVERYTHING if He has made such giant mountains and beautifil lakes, then surely making us is no problem for Him. As all these thins praise Him all the time, we must too.

SubhanAllah, Alhamdolillah Allaho Akbar.

Zico
05-24-2009, 08:59 AM

Mashallah :D Does it look like a big bird or is it just me?

Mashallah they look like bees from afar!!

Raudha
05-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Subhanallah this is amazing!!! Alhamdulillah!!!

Snowflake
05-24-2009, 11:25 AM
subhanAllah! Pic 9 is amazing, the bird image is so clear to see. Pic 16 is just plain scary though.

Muezzin
05-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I hope they're not on a bombing run. It's nasty when one of them gets a direct hit on your friend's scalp.

Tony
05-24-2009, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I hope they're not on a bombing run. It's nasty when one of them gets a direct hit on your friend's scalp.
haha blackberry season and bed sheets on washing day. reminiscing now

جوري
06-23-2009, 07:03 AM

sirajstc
07-26-2009, 10:47 AM
subhana Allah

جوري
08-03-2009, 10:25 PM
a useless fact about birds that I have learned today:

Migrating geese fly in a V-formation to conserve energy. A goose’s wings churn the air and leave an air current behind. In the flying wedge, each bird is in position to get a lift from the current left by the bird ahead. It is easier going for all, except the leader. During a migration, geese are apt to take turns in the lead position.

Tony
08-03-2009, 10:55 PM
^^^hers another, swans will stay together for life in pairs, anything upto 25 years, and if one dies the other may also die due to broken heart (pining). And if you kill and eat one in Britain, the Queen can still theoretically imprison you or behead you :skeleton:

جوري
08-03-2009, 10:57 PM
awwwwww.. is the swan song a true thing?
do they sing before they die?

:w:

جوري
08-03-2009, 11:02 PM
The silver Swan, who living had no Note, when Death approached, unlocked her silent throat. Leaning her breast against the reedy shore, thus sang her first and last, and sang no more: "Farewell, all joys! O Death, come close mine eyes! "More Geese than Swans now live, more Fools than Wise."

Orlando Gibbons

Tony
08-03-2009, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
The silver Swan, who living had no Note, when Death approached, unlocked her silent throat. Leaning her breast against the reedy shore, thus sang her first and last, and sang no more: "Farewell, all joys! O Death, come close mine eyes! "More Geese than Swans now live, more Fools than Wise."
nice maash;Allah. I grew up in Stratford on Avon and there are a lot of swans, I actually lived in a tiny village hidden in a valley, between there and SOA was a pond where my friend and I used to watch a pair of swans that we dont think anyone else knew about, they are the most elegant of all creatures, but they can break a human limd with their wings they are so strong, beauty and strength. Allah is truly amazing in his artistry. As for swan song, im not sure but is probably shaekesperian poetic liscense or that of opera

جوري
08-03-2009, 11:17 PM
^^ your story is inspiring me to start a thread for people to write a favorite thing from their old country or their younger years...

so many songs about the last song of a swan lol...

Tony
08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
^^ your story is inspiring me to start a thread for people to write a favorite thing from their old country or their younger years...

so many songs about the last song of a swan lol...
Great idea sister, but theres so many to choose from, i used to befriend dogs from a nieghbouring gypsy camp, one day one i met this huge dog, i went home to steal some food for it, later my parents went out and i made babysitter let it in, it slept on my bed, when my dad got home drunk he tried to be the big macho and move it physically, it bit my dadand left his dheek wide open, scarred for life. The next day i saw them round it up and kill itimsad All it did was protect a little boy who had treated it kindly. Sorry that turned into a bit of a story. Making me reminisce now

Woodrow
08-04-2009, 12:21 AM

It is so easy for a man to look up at such great beauty and ponder thoughts of how birds must be Allaah(swt)'s greatest creation. As awesome the striking sights they pose and the miracles of flight they demonstrate are, have you ever thought that all of the birds that are, have been and will be, do not match the marvel of any one human. Each of you my Brothers and Sisters is a greater creation then all of those birds combined.

trrwxsj
11-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Hello dear friend Güven,
I had sent you a private message. Had you got it? Please tell me if you know that.

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
salaamu alaikum

thats Fabulous!!!! JazakumAllahu Khair for sharing...!

Caller الداعي
11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
wooooooooooooowwwww!! mashallah jazkllah khair!!!!!!

Hayaa
11-10-2009, 11:44 PM
I was blessed with the opportunity to see something so amazing the other day- an entire flock of parrots flying over the neighborhood. Took my breath away SubhanAllaah.

Looked something like this:

meer5sd
11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
nice pics, thanks for posting

meer5sd
11-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Especially the pic of birds migrating over the Mediterranean was superb

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.