/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to cram for that big exam?

Uthman
05-25-2009, 09:26 AM
By John Hand
BBC News

It's exam season and diligent students have been busy swotting up for weeks. But what about those who squeeze all their revision into the final few days - can cramming ever be a substitute for hard graft?

This is a guilty admission at a time when thousands of students are toiling their way through revision plans ahead of make-or-break exams - I am one of life's crammers.

Two decades after my A-levels, I am entering the exam hall again next month and old habits are dying hard.

I am sitting A-level Italian and, as usual, prevarication is top of my agenda - slightly ahead of panic - just three weeks ahead of the final written exams.

The first of the papers will test me on my knowledge of two Italian novels and a film adaptation - which so far remain unread and unwatched.

Three days later come two further papers which will challenge me to understand spoken Italian, translate a passage from English and write a couple of essays from scratch.

Don't cram - start with the 10 minutes you know you will do, have a break and start again

George Turnbull, Qfqual

So I have a dilemma: do I schedule an hour of solid revision every day between now and the moment I hear those unnverving words "You may now turn over your papers"?

Or do I resign myself to a final 48-hour frenzy of focused fact-familiarisation in the second week of June?

Of course, every revision guide advises a carefully timetabled study plan over several weeks or months, and that is clearly sensible for anyone out there banking on straight A-grades to earn a prized university place.

But my situation is different. I have a full-time job and other commitments which don't easily accommodate a spare hour each evening. And, to be honest, I have nothing to lose.

So is there ever a time when cramming works?

Call the doctor

I'm feeling a little more confident after two Italian oral exams I took last week. I finally settled on my discussion subjects with 48 hours to go, then threw myself headlong into study.

Add in some mnemonic memory techniques and I think I recalled enough when I faced my examiner.

Sometimes a quick cram is not enough to guarantee success when it's needed.

In my mind, the quicker I focused on what I needed to know, the less time I would have to forget it.

I've heard all the warnings that it is pointless trying to learn anything too close to an exam. But there is plenty of research pointing out that this is a reckless way to approach exams.

Ofqual - the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator - has an exams doctor who helpfully answers e-mail queries from worried exam candidates.

And George Turnbull's advice is simple and unequivocal: "Do not cram the night before an exam."

He also suggests students who plan long four-hour study slogs to soak up knowledge are only fooling themselves. Such marathon efforts result in "only 10 minutes' actual work [being] done".

"Start with the 10 minutes you know you will do. Then have a 10-minute break and start again."

After a while, he advises, you can increase the amount of time worked between breaks. After a period of five days of increasing study, you'll have earned an evening out.

The anti-cramming message is hammered home by the findings of a survey that suggests 40% of successful British students would fail their exams if they re-sat them a year later.

Research by the Chartered Institute of Education Assessors (CIEA) found 32% admitted to having used short-term cramming techniques to get through their exams and that this approach is increasing, with 48% of respondents under 24 employing the method.

Graham Herbert, deputy head of the CIEA, said he feared the findings were symptomatic of a test-laden education system, which, he said, was creating a nation of crammers.

And he warned me: "For some people it could work, just to get them through the exam. But to really improve your understanding of a subject, I would say that cramming is not the way to do it.

"It's evident from the study that the education system is forcing students to memorise facts without gaining long-term knowledge or in-depth understanding of their course material."

Even as an adult learner, I have sensed the pressure that my tutors are under to ensure good results - by how early they start focusing on how we can pass the end-of-course exam.

Memory tips

I figure that if there is one person I could count on to be in my corner in the cramming debate, it is Dominic O'Brien, an eight-time winner of the world memory championships who now co-ordinates the schools memory championships and runs mind coaching clinics.

But Mr O'Brien, whose books include How To Pass Exams, cautioned me that I really need to change my approach to ensure the best combination of knowledge and memory.

He said: "The key to remembering information is the five-times principle. Read the information and try to commit it to memory immediately, then review it 24 hours later. Read and memorise it again a week later, then again after a month. When you come to review it a fifth time after three to six months, it should stay in your long-term memory."

Unless I reschedule my exams for Christmas, I simply don't have that option but Mr O'Brien has a hothouse alternative. When he enters competitions in which he has to recall a 2,000-digit number inside an hour, he commits them to memory as 10 200-digit numbers then reviews each one after five minutes, 15 minutes and so on.

So it gives me a little hope that my mantra "it's never too late too learn" may yet pay off, even if I would advise against it for anyone whose future hangs on their results.

Just remember I'll be the one with the "Do Not Disturb" signs up in mid-June.WHO'S MOST LIKELY TO CRAM?

A survey asked people how they studied for exams - working on understanding the underlying facts; learning by rote or cramming; or no particular method

34% of women relied on cramming, as opposed to 28.8% of men

48% of under-24s crammed; only 17.4% of over-55s said they did so in their last exam

Source: Chartered Institute of Education Assessors

DOMINIC O'BRIEN'S TIPS

The three pillars to learning are good memory techniques, speed reading and note-taking

One memory technique for languages is "gender zones". Visualise feminine nouns such as "la cantina" (cellar) in your home or home town; masculine nouns such as "il campo" (field) elsewhere

To improve speed reading, use a pointer such as a pen to trace along the lines as you read

Take effective notes, make mind maps from key words and crystallise original notes down to helpful reminders

If you learn something new, review it within 24 hours to help lodge it in your memory

Advice from the exam doctor

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sahabiyaat
05-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Dont cram
got it.

One tiny problem

i dont have several weeks to stare at a paper...:X..i have precisely one week= CRAMMMMMMMMM like they aint no tomorrowwww! :D

Uthman
05-25-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm also a crammer. There's just no other way for me.

MASTERofMINDS
05-25-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm also a crammer...but won't b from the next year... InshaALLAH

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tony
05-25-2009, 04:03 PM
its about timing, if cramming it must be then make acronyms of the principles etc. ie - A PIE =Assess Plan Implement Evaluate, make it easy for yourself, if u have a week then u need the OCD apprroach, eat sleep and s**t the subject, apart from salaat just immerse urself in nothing else. May Allah help u

Al-Hanbali
05-25-2009, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MASTERofMINDS
I'm also a crammer...but won't b from the next year... InshaALLAH
InshaAllaah akhee ...

The amount of times I've said that to myself, yet to no avail!

Sahabiyaat
05-25-2009, 08:52 PM
:hmm: right...il er.... take that on board.....

format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
the OCD apprroach, eat sleep and s**t the subject,

Raudha
05-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Also part of the Cram Club i guess :embarrass

Woodrow
05-25-2009, 09:26 PM
It took me quite a number of years to learn not to be a crammer. In fact it was when I was in my 40s and working on an advanced degree.

I sympathize with you guys. No point in telling you cramming don't work, cause you already know that and will still persist in being crammers. Welcome to the club. Only consolation, wait about 20 years before going for any advanced degrees, by then your may have broken the habit.

Hugo
05-27-2009, 06:58 AM
It is interesting to note the latest brain research suggests an amazing fact in that when we are day dreaming, not thinking or focusing in anything particular our brains take 2 to 3 times more energy to work.

What this seems to mean is that we MUST give our brains time to sort things out all on its own, it needs this time to reorganise itself.

It follows that you CANNOT cram because there is no time for the brain to absorb and organise itself so whatever you think you might have crammed in there will be gone before you can use it because every time you cram in another fact there has been no time for the brain to put it into long term memory the one that went before it.

When you learn there must be a deliberate choice to do so, you must know what you have to do and do it. If you leave it till the last minute that was a CHOICE YOU made (unless you were ill)

When you learn steadily over a period of time, taking breaks, time out to day dream you are giving yourself the best possible chance to get deep and not superficial learning.

Hugo
05-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Cramming is not possible but if you have been a little irresponsible and left it till the last minutes then one might:

1. Start with the basics, if you don't know these nothing else will be understood. Find out what they are and make short notes about them before moving on.

2. Spend time with examples and exercises and do as many exercises as you can because its practice that make the knowledge stick BUT don't try this without at least doing number 1.

3. TRY not to use the examples as a kind of template to copy, try to understand what it is they are trying to teach you.

4. Even though you might be rushing, take short breaks, at least every hour: have a shower, make some tea, short walk etc your brain needs this time to organises itself.

5. This is speculative but there is some research evidence that day dreaming and looking at blue things can make you a little more creative. So if in the exam you get stuck take a minute to day dream and look at anything blue (I said here a minute or two)

Sahabiyaat
05-27-2009, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hugo
It is interesting to note the latest brain research suggests an amazing fact in that when we are day dreaming, not thinking or focusing in anything particular our brains take 2 to 3 times more energy to work.

What this seems to mean is that we MUST give our brains time to sort things out all on its own, it needs this time to reorganise itself.

It follows that you CANNOT cram because there is no time for the brain to absorb and organise itself so whatever you think you might have crammed in there will be gone before you can use it because every time you cram in another fact there has been no time for the brain to put it into long term memory the one that went before it.

When you learn there must be a deliberate choice to do so, you must know what you have to do and do it. If you leave it till the last minute that was a CHOICE YOU made (unless you were ill)

When you learn steadily over a period of time, taking breaks, time out to day dream you are giving yourself the best possible chance to get deep and not superficial learning.
Why are you telling me this......are you TRYING to make me cry here!!!!! :laugh:.Dont make me neg rep you!
Y cant u just lie like everybody else and say cramming is good and u will pass with flying colours?

The Ruler
05-27-2009, 07:06 PM
A crammer: 12am-3:30am.

Faith.
05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I actually revise before hand.:coolious:
Like months before
Guilt of being a swot.:-[
Mind you I always still cram at the last minute thinking im gunna fail:X

Cram, Cram, Cram!:D

Hugo
05-27-2009, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
Why are you telling me this......are you TRYING to make me cry here!!!!! :laugh:.Dont make me neg rep you!
Y cant u just lie like everybody else and say cramming is good and u will pass with flying colours?
You might as well know the truth but I also said what you could do in another post. But you like the rest of us might take note of what Anatole said- "It is human nature to think wisely and act in an absurd fashion".

Hugo
05-27-2009, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Amaarah
I actually revise before hand.:coolious:
Like months before
Guilt of being a swot.:-[
Mind you I always still cram at the last minute thinking im gunna fail:X

Cram, Cram, Cram!:D
Its not cramming to be a steady worker, put in regular effort that is what a responsible students does and it generally make you feel better and almost guarantees success. Cramming tends to make you memorise not learn.

Hugo
05-27-2009, 08:18 PM
If you get stuck or a block in an examination here is one way you could think about the problem.

Create Images or Pictures – do this in your mind or draw them on the paper (but make sure it is understood to be rough work) often in learning we struggle on when if we stopped and thought about it we might construct an image or picture of the topic or idea we are looking at.

Thus we might look at for example at a definition and instead of just relying on and focusing on the words we turn it into a visual model as a block diagram or flow chart or spider diagram or whatever helps us visualise the definition and grasp its real meaning. The image does not have to be anything formal it can be a cartoon, an acrostic, a play on words, a rich picture, a stick man – anything and everything is available as long as your imagination can create it and it can create it if you give it a chance.

The reason why imagery is so powerful is it gets you off your normal tracks (because they tend to force you to go just one way, that is often why you get stuck) and thus give you a totally new viewpoint, sometime several new viewpoints and these can bring real insight and break through the block in your mind.

Yanal
05-28-2009, 12:24 AM
MashAllah what timing for these tips,luckily I have time before they start,any tips on presenting a crappy presentation?

Btw we should have a thread where we ask people to yell at you for doing your homework..so we can actually do this,innit?

Hugo
05-28-2009, 11:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
MashAllah what timing for these tips,luckily I have time before they start,any tips on presenting a crappy presentation?

Btw we should have a thread where we ask people to yell at you for doing your homework..so we can actually do this,innit?
It depends a bit on the type of presentation but let's assume it's a PowerPoint one but the principles are more or less the same.

1. Be focused and make no more than 3 points. If you try to make more your audience will just turn off. Structurally, divide the presentation into 3 parts: introduction (1 or 2 slides), discussion (up to 3 slides) and conclusions (1 slide). Don't be tempted to have dozens of conclusions and it seems best to have at most two/

2. Do NOT use more that 5/6 slides as you will run out of time.

3. Its best to put up the whole slide in one go no matter how many entries are on it especially if you are not confident about content and putting up bullets one at a time uses up time and you may over-run.

4. On each slide put the parts of it up if its just words as (have no more than 5 or 6 bullets per slide)

. Future Trends - Movement towards a National framework..

The bit in bold is your key word and helps you focus on what the entry is about, do it for EVERY entry. If you cannot work out what the key word is then it means you do not know what the focus of your point is.

5. Try NOT to put too much on each slide, it slows the presentation down and makes it harder for the audience to follow you.

6. Do NOT try to tell the audience ALL you know, focus on the key message you want to give

7. The audience must be left with your clear message so again do NOT have too many points

8. Keep the slides simple, don't use clever graphics, weird colours, noises, etc these will only distract and you will have wasted a lot of effort in doing it and therefore not working on what you want to say. Use diagrams if they help but not just to fill the space.

9. Finally, tutors do not want you just to tell them what is in the notes they gave you so struggle a bit to say at least ONE thing that is your very own, that you have thought up yourself

AhlaamBella
05-28-2009, 12:22 PM
SubhanAllah I used to cram all the time and alhamdulilah it got me through my exams. But now I'm married I don't have enough time in those 48hrs for a decent cramming session. Yet I now don't have time for detailed revision plans - I have ONE WEEEK!!!

Yanal
05-29-2009, 03:13 AM
I mean a oral presentation but thanks for that.

Hugo
05-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I mean a oral presentation but thanks for that.
With an oral presentation it's even more important that you focus on your message because they do not have anything to look at and you want it to stick in their minds

Mikayeel
06-01-2009, 07:14 PM
am not one but i am forced to b one due my procasting nature

Yanal
06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
procasting ?

InshAllah we will all ace our exams! Ameen!

Hugo
06-03-2009, 01:54 PM
procasting ?

InshAllah we will all ace our exams! Ameen!
Do you mean procrastination? (I don't know any word called 'procasting?)

I think it is always God's will that we do well in Exams but that can only be achieved if you have put in the effort and worked hard at your studies. Then God can bless all you do in that examination and if you ACE it then you are honouring Him. When you ACE it there is a saying

In all our learning give us grace to bow ourselves before your face; as knowledge grows, Lord, keep us free from self-destructive vanity

Best wishes and I hope you do very well

Hugo
06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mikayeel
am not one but i am forced to b one due my procasting nature
We are all a bit like that but it need not be that way and if YOU know you have a tendency that way you are streets ahead because you can now CHOOSE to do something about it in the future and you will be rewarded. If you don't now take action it will just become an excuse when things don't work out too well. Edward Sallust said "Every man (or Woman) is the architect of his/her own fortune"

Best Wishes and be encouraged

Hugo
06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Sorry I posted something here but I have now moved it to the Research Methods Thread

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.