/* */

PDA

View Full Version : College/University Questions

Clover
05-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I have some questions about college, here they are:

1. Can you get more then 1 degree in 4 years of college?
2. Can you go to a different college, for the same thing, to go from a Bachelor to a Master's?
3. Are you required to take English/Math/Science, if your going to college for a Degree in Military History?
4. Can't you major in one thing, and then minor in another?

Thanks for any answers, I am a Junior in highschool, but I plan ahead, and I am having to choose between FSP or ROTC, ROTC would give me 4 years before I do a tour, FSP would give me 2 years before college, probably just 1 tour of duty.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
05-27-2009, 03:44 AM
technically you can have more than one major but it is very difficult. i.e the course load is too overwhelming, of course I majored in science so it is never a good idea to be taking calculus with organic chemistry and molecular biology and physics and speech and english and philosophy all one shot.. if you can you'll have to be superman, I tried that once and ended up dropping a couple of subjects.. also sometimes some of these classes will coincide so you'll have to be taking morning and night classes as to not miss lectures..

if your major isn't in science you'll still need to take some science courses (if you are in the U.S) most folks opt for biology since it is easy, but you'll need at least four, I don't know if that number has been reduced? ..

best to be slow and steady than to kill yourself one shot...

all the best

Hugo
05-30-2009, 09:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
I have some questions about college, here they are:

1. Can you get more then 1 degree in 4 years of college?
2. Can you go to a different college, for the same thing, to go from a Bachelor to a Master's?
3. Are you required to take English/Math/Science, if your going to college for a Degree in Military History?
4. Can't you major in one thing, and then minor in another?

Thanks for any answers, I am a Junior in highschool, but I plan ahead, and I am having to choose between FSP or ROTC, ROTC would give me 4 years before I do a tour, FSP would give me 2 years before college, probably just 1 tour of duty.
Just a note on some of these points

1. It is possible to get more than one degree at a 4 year College but what you have to remember is that whatever credit you accumulate it can only be USED once towards a degree. That is if you gained credit for subjects A, B and C etc and then at the end you were awarded say a degree in English then you cannot use A, B and C again to get another degree.

2. Once you have accumulated any credit you can in principle transfer to another College. The issue is that courses elsewhere will never be identical to the one you are doing. So let us suppose you did a 2 year course and ended up with 66 credits and you decide to change to another College for the last 2 years but doing the same subject then you might find that they will only accept 45 of your credits because as I said there is rarely a perfect match.

Typically, the new College will compare what you have done with what they offer and if there is a good match you can transfer the credit but it might be far less that you expect. The same would apply if you changed subject, they would assess what could be counted from the course you had done to the course you want to do

crayon
05-30-2009, 04:45 PM
You can double major in uni. From what I know, the same credits can be used for more than one major, perhaps it depends on the specific university you go to. If that is the case, then it's best to double major in two related things, since you can share credits for both.

You can major in one thing and minor in something else, yes.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hugo
05-30-2009, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
You can double major in uni. From what I know, the same credits can be used for more than one major, perhaps it depends on the specific university you go to. If that is the case, then it's best to double major in two related things, since you can share credits for both.

You can major in one thing and minor in something else, yes.
You can certainly double major but double majors or dual majors consist of two majors attached to a single degree, as opposed to two separate degrees each with its own field of study.

There are such things double degrees where you study two different programmes at the same time but there is no way in such a scheme that you can count anything twice as far as I know. Credits are like vouchers, once you cash them in that is it. It is faintly absurd to do anything else in a rational world

One can sometimes get two awards for the same degree but this only usually occurs when there is a joint programmes between two institutions but no one should be fooled into thinking they have two degrees.

Yanal
05-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Interesting and sadly I have no input since I am still in my freshman year in high school.

Hugo
05-30-2009, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
Interesting and sadly I have no input since I am still in my freshman year in high school.
I think perhaps the best advice is to check out your chosen College and see exactly what the offer. Most Colleges are free within very broad guidelines to do whatever they feel is best so no two Colleges will necessarily act in the same way.

Woodrow
05-31-2009, 12:00 AM
The answer to all 4 questions is yes. But, it will depend on what college you go to. You will have a lot more options at a liberal arts college, but there is also a lot more work as you need to design your own degree plan and have it approved, with everything in accordance with the minimum standards set by the school.

Clover
05-31-2009, 05:57 AM
Oh no. I just checked, the college I am wanting to go to for a Bachelor's in Military History, would, estimated, cost me 17k the first year! I can get only up to 5k from the Army ROTC, and I don't have 12k anywhere, I am dead. I think I am gonna have to do:

FSP (Future Soldier Program) then do 2 years, probably 2 tours in Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan (or if I get lucky, I can do a tour in a peaceful place, like Japan, or India). Then I can do ROTC, and go to college, and have 2 years of Army pay that I've saved, and the 13k bonus I'd get for doing FSP with me, I'd be able to do it, without a single student loan.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.